Question

The Demon Drowns in the River

It was the 11th year of the Eiroku Era (1568)

The Daimyo of Mikawa Province Ieyasu Tokugawa was twenty-five years old; Ieyasu's commander Masanari Hattori, best known as the second generation Hanzo Hattori, was twenty-six years old. Southeast of Mikawa Province, the two were swimming together in a river attached to Hamana Lake. Vassals and close friends gather in a half ring to observe. Lord Ieyasu casted off his armor, and then his robes until an undergarment over his thighs remained. Turning his head, Ieyasu's eyes gazed at a man standing not too far from him.

From others, Oni Hattori looked bold and imposing from a distance. While relatively young, and having maintained most of his dark hair slicked back and tied up, Hanzo had a calculating character like advisors beyond his age, and an unquestionable loyalty that attributed a ripe servant. Through the Tokugawa lineage, he was the leader of so-called "shinobi of Kanto Region".

Ieyasu slowly entered the river first until the water reached his shoulders. Hanzo followed him shortly after. Before another move, Hanzo uttered a groan and there was a loud splash. The nape of the demon's neck was squeezed, and in a swift moment Hanzo saw underwater. Ieyasu's mouth formed into a playful smile; after releasing Hanzo's neck, he sunk right after.

It wouldn't be long until the two resurfaced. Hanzo walked ashore and looked down to see Lord Ieyasu Tokugawa right next to him, on his knees and hands panting hard. Some vassals approached, asking with concerned voices, "Are you alright Lord Tokugawa!" His breaths were so labored that he sounded like he nearly died. The ninja commander was the second to get out of the water, far after Ieyasu who came crawling out like a frantic animal.

"Che!" Ieyasu uttered an incoherent word as he recollected most of his breath. While gentle and calm, Ieyasu's youth roused curiosity. His mind sought an investigation; Hanzo rivaled him in swimming eminence, but there was something else.

Hattori wrapped his arms around Ieyasu and helped him on his feet. Once he stood, the daimyo looked at his friend.

"Hanzo, how long can a ninja stand underwater?" He asked.

Hattori's thick eyebrows flicked. Being directly in Ieyasu's service, the ninja commander gave out a prompt answer, "One or two days, Lord Tokguawa."

Everybody looked astonished, including Ieyasu himself. First Ieyasu looked dumbfounded, and then he cupped his chin with his hand as if intrigued. The answer sounded genuine. All eyes were on the ninja commander who smiled. It was a smile of confidence.