—THREE

The Reasons I Smile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

—T H R E E

Jessica took a deep breath and sat down on a bench that she and Onew just happened to pass by. The pain from her feet shot straight up through to her thighs. They’ve been walking for quite some time. Jessica didn’t realise the long distance from where they were staying to the beach since she was too excited to feel the calming sensation. Now that it was getting dark and both Onew and Jessica were tired, it felt like getting to their destination would be miles.

Onew sat down beside Jessica, watching her brush the sand off her leg that she thought she brushed off a few minutes ago. He took in the sight around him and he realised that the bench they were sitting on was across the road from an express grocery store.

“Sica, I’ll be right back,” Jessica took her attention off her legs and towards Onew, “I’m going to quickly buy us something to eat, okay?” He nudged his head towards the express grocer.

“Uh,” Jessica seemed unsure about him leaving her but he promised that he’d only take a second, “okay, then… but be quick!”

Onew gave her a reassuring smile and jogged across the road. They haven’t parted for that long and she already felt unsafe.

Jessica froze and sat still when she felt the bench move a little. She stared intently at the express grocer in hopes to find Onew keeping a close eye on her through the glass window. Jessica couldn’t spot him. Trying to find a way to avoid talking to the stranger, she held on tightly to her bag and prayed this person wouldn’t be bothered to rack up a friendly conversation.

From her angle, all Jessica could see where white high-top sneakers along with dark denim skinny jeans. There was nothing recognisable to Jessica about this person until they spoke.

“How have you been, Sica?”

Jonghyun.

Her palms resting on the edges of the bench gripped tighter, she looked down at her feet. Jonghyun was talking to her? After months of painful silence, crying herself to sleep and finally attempting to move on. If only she could tell him everything that she had to go through after marking the end of their relationship and all he would be able to do is sit and listen.

“Fine.” Jessica replied a bit too eagerly, which was not the way she planned it to come out in her head. Where was Onew? She could really use some escape plan here.

Jonghyun pouted his lips slightly whilst nodding. Anyone would probably be able to feel the awkward tension between the two from across the road.

“Is your heart content?”

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” Jessica shifted her position slightly to look at her him.

“—Uh, I meant are you content? Are you happy?” Jessic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter