—ONE

The Reasons I Smile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

—O N E

Jessica rested her head on Onew’s shoulder. She sat in between his legs with her back against his chest. It was getting dark but they liked the beach when it just seemed like it was them two. It was peaceful and just sitting and listening to the waves brought upon them a sense of calm.

Jessica needed the diversion and a bit of calming since the sight of Jonghyun flirting with other girls, as much as she hates to admit, made her a little uneasy. Onew understood her reasons for feeling that way because he knew that she just recently got out of a long relationship with Jonghyun. He was thankful that she was able to open up and accept someone even though she was in a lot of pain, despite the feeling of inferiority weighing down on him.

“Sica, do I make you smile?” Onew whispered into her ear. Jessica slowly opened her eyes and turned a little to face Onew.

“Of course you do! I can name a hundred ways you make me smile.” Jessica smiled softly and gently caressed his cheek.

“Okay then, how do I make you smile?” He grinned, causing Jessica to giggle at the sight.

She started to talk and he listened…

 

“I smile because…”
— The Past

 

Little, twelve-year-old Jessica huffed in annoyance as she sat down on one of the chairs that was wrapped beautifully with a golden ribbon resulting in a large bow tie on the back. Her cute, pink dress scrunched out, making her look like she’s sitting on a bean bag. Any individual might question how much if an important party it is to have chairs with such treatment, because it is. A very formal party for the most respectable families in the whole nation to be exact. The most awaited party, which only occurs once a year.

Why Jessica huffed in annoyance? Jessica would have always been introduced to her parents ‘family friends’ who just always happens to have a son around her age and it happens every year. How she can’t wait to see who it is this time. Jessica rolled her eyes.

“Jessica, sit up straight and show your manners.” Her mother gently pushed her back, making it the right posture. ‘You always have to leave a good impression to other families…’ Jessica mimicked in her mother's potential next sentence in her head, sighing. “You always have to leave a good impression to other families, Sooyeon.” Her mother lectured, grabbing an extra hair pin from her purse to add to Jessica's hair. As always, her parents would boast to other families and vice versa, you can say it’s like tradition whenever a formal party arose. Boasting about business, about future plans and most importantly… boasting about your children.  

In Jessica’s case, everyone would be interested in the Jung family because; one, it is highly unlikely to find another Jung family in the party, two, Jessica is an American name and three, her whole family can speak fluent English. They were quite popular and well known by everyone who attended, therefore making their appearance much anticipated by most families.  

So there she was, her mum begins the lecture of importance and acceptance. That is until a woman, her make-up just way to thick for Jessica’s liking, decides to waddle her way towards the Jung table.

“Ah! Well if it isn’t Jung Hye Jin!” Jessica’s mother smiled and they cheek kissed twice on both cheeks. The woman turned towards Jessica, shock written on her face. “Your daughter is gorgeous! I wouldn’t mind if she becomes my daughter-in-law!” The woman turned to look at her table while Jessica’s mum took a glance at her daughter. Jessica remembered this woman, she tried to suit her up with her son who was four years older than her. Jessica immediately pretends to gag and her mum frowned at her behaviour. Once the woman turned back around to face Jessica, she quickly straightened her posture. How she hated the idea of an arranged marriage.

 

On the other side of the venue, a boy spotted a girl sitting on the other side of the ballroom, her action of holding her stomach and pretending to gag made him laugh.

“Jonghyun, make sure you behave and show everyone what a gentleman really is.” His father's voice made twelve-year-old Jonghyun avert his attention from the girl. He nodded. This was one of their first invitations since they came back to Korea. Jonghyun had to admit that his family caused quite a stir. Mentions of a Jung family was also going around, making his parents curious of why their family was so well known.

 

“Have you heard about the Kim family?” The woman asked Jessica’s mum, Hye Jin just laughed in reply. Why? Jessica was guessing because there were more than ten Kim families in this ballroom.  

“No I haven’t, are they new here?” If they were, Jessica was sure to feel sorry for whoever was the family. When they were first invited, which was some time ago, her and her parents had to go around each table and introduce themselves.

“Apparently yes, and a lot of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter