A Curious Mind and An Emptiness

Rainy Days and You

It’s raining. Kyungsoo looked up to the sky and considered as if the rain had given him a great gift. He opened his hand, letting the rain fell on the palm of his hand. When raindrops touched it already, he smiled.    

“I like people who smile when it’s raining.”

That voice..

 

Kyungsoo was jerked and then waking up. His heart pounding, he looked at his palms were wet with sweat. He looked around, he was still in his room while the heavy rain still fell down outside. He glanced at clock on the wall in his room, two pm. Apparently, he doze off when he was reading a book.

Jongin and Sehun imminent at the house shortly, he should prepare lunch for his two sons. He then immediately got up and walked to the kitchen.

As he prepared lunch for his two children, he remembered the voice he heard in his dream. The scene was familiar. The voice was familiar too. It was just like a déjà-vu. But, whose voice it was?

“Appa, I’m home.”

“Appa.. I’m hungry.”

Jongin and Sehun stormed into the kitchen and embraced Kyungsoo as usual. Kyungsoo smiled and led his two sons the dining table.

“Appa had cooked upon request.”

“Curry ramyeon!” both of them cried out excitedly.

“Happy lunch, after then you should rest for a while. This afternoon you’re going to dancing lessons, right?”

They simply nodded as their mouth already full of food. Kyungsoo strived to remain focused on looking at his two sons but the image in his dreams was still bothering.

“Appa, are you okay?” Jongin asked in curiosity.

Kyungsoo smiled then nodded. “I’m alright. I just.. tired. I will go sleep now.”

Jongin and Sehun suddenly exchanging glances. Their appa wanted to sleep in the afternoon? They knew their appa’s habit. He never slept in the afternoon, he’d rather watching movie or reading a book as he waited for their dad get back home than sleep.

But then what makes their father chose to sleep in the daytime this time?

Kyungsoo did not know anything related to it. He tried not to remember altogether, but what was passing in his dream made him increasingly unable to concentrate. Trying to kill the strange thought, he the television, looking for a good show and then immersed in it.

*

 

Kyungsoo kept walking while admiring the new café belonged to Park Chanyeol. The concept of the café created modest yet elegant with wood dominating the whole room. Gorgeous sofas arranged in a way to make customers want to sit and relax linger there.

When he passed a broad wall near the toilet, he paused and stared at the wall as he astonished by the text on it.

Love always has two different sides: sadness and happiness

Simple but meaningful. But that was not what made Kyungsoo stopped there. He felt familiar with the words. Had he seen it somewhere? Or just actually heard somebody said about it?

“Kyungsoo..”

Park Chanyeol emerged from nowhere, now standing beside him. “Do you like it?”

Kyungsoo smiled. “I do. It’s perfectly suited to be placed here.”

“Ah. I was right then. Some people said the same thing today.” He beamed proudly.

“I see. Anyway, congratulation. This is definitely a lovely café. The customer will be happy to visit. And sorry I can’t attend the grand opening ceremony this morning.”

Chanyeol smiled. “That’s okay. Your presence here is enough for me. Where are Junmyeon and the kids?”

“Junmyeon is still in the meeting but he said he’ll be done soon and come over. Jongin and Sehun are in the dancing class right now, but I don’t think they’ll come.”

“I got it. Dancing class is tiring. I can understand. I just want them to come and see this place. You know, they’re so popular. With their appearance here, their friends would come over also.”

Kyungsoo laughed. “You’re making them as walking advertisement or ambassador then. You should pay them.”

“Hey guys.”

Both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo turned. Byun Baekhyun was there, standing by the door, smiling at them. “Sorry I’m late. There were lots of patients in the list today. By the way, congratulation, Chanyeol, this is great.”

“Thank you for coming. And you look cute tonight.” Chanyeol said as he gave a wink to Baekhyun, earning red tinge on both of the latter’s cheeks.

Kyungsoo grinned; he always knew there’s something between these two. And he believed they would come clean each other one day.  Chanyeol was a businessman who lost his fiancée years ago and haven’t date anyone since then while Baekhyun was a psychiatric who dedicated himself for his patients. He never had a thought for marriage. But Kyungsoo personally thought that Chanyeol could change him.

“Wow, good quotes.” Baekhyun said as he stared the wall.

“Kyungsoo said that too. I should thank him then.” Chanyeol beam proudly, once again.

“Him?” Kyungsoo and Baekhyun asked at the same time.

Chanyeol nodded. “I knew this guy, he is a business man too. I met him when I visited Los Angeles several months ago. We talked a lot and this is one of his quotes. I keep remembering this so I put this on my wall. Since you guys said this is great, so I don’t regret my decision either.” He smiled widely, showing off his teeth.

Kyungsoo wasn’t laughing. He was still staring at the wall. He convinced himself that he had heard those words before. But he just did not know where. The words actually trivial, but he continued to recite them in the head.

“Kyungsoo, come here, your coffee is ready.”

“Stop staring at the wall. You might fall for it.”

He complied. He joined his two friends on the couch. Lately, he was often distracted by his thoughts. And when he wanted to discuss it with Junmyeon, his husband was very busy with his work. He often came home late with exhausting face.

Kyungsoo knew, he can talk anytime to Junmyeon and he believed he will be heard. But he couldn’t bear seeing Junmyeon like that and he did not want to disturb. He would wait until Junmyeon can hear him completely without distracted by his job. This time Junmyeon needed his support.

“Sorry I’m late.”

“Junmyeon!” Chanyeol and Baekhyun exclaimed happily.

“Hi gorgeous.” Junmyeon pecked Kyungsoo‘s head.

“Oh, you’re here.” Kyungsoo reciprocated with a warm hug.

“Your arms are much warmer than my coat. Do not let them go.” Junmyeon said as he anchoring a kiss on the latter’s forehead once again.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol let out a sound together.

“Please guys, you have something called home. Please do your lovey-dovey things there.” Chanyeol said.

“I can sense jealousy in the air.” Kyungsoo replied in a mock tone.

“I am sorry. I got so busy with new client lately. I got home late and must to go work earlier every morning. It’s exhausting. I spent most of weekend by sleeping. And Kyungsoo didn’t complain at all. Those made me feel bad.” Junmyeon explained. He kept his hands around Kyungsoo.

They were immersed in conversation about daily activities then continued with plan to go on vacation together afterward. For Kyungsoo, that was a reunion with his friends since he only worked in the house, taking care of his husband and kids while the three other men in there working with patients, clients and guests for money.

They were laughing together, mocking each other, until Kyungsoo’s phone rang.

“Sehunnie.” He said. He swiped the screen and put the phone on his ear. “Sorry boys, appa and daddy will come home soon. Love you.”

“Are they okay?” Junmyeon asked.

Kyungsoo nodded. “They just bored because we’re not around.”

“You should go back now.” Baekhyun ordered.

Both Junmyeon and Kyungsoo nodded. They stood up and be ready to go back home.

“I need to go to the rest room first.” Junmyeon said. Chanyeol pointed the direction of the toilet.

When he nearly there, he stopped and stared at the wall. “Hey Chanyeol, where did you find these words?”

Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Chanyeol came closer.

“From one of my friends. Why?” Chanyeol asked.

“Because I just heard these words this afternoon from my clients. The words are exactly the same. So I’m wondering if they’re the same person.”

*

 

“Lu, how’s school today?” Kris asked his only son when he found the latter was staring blankly to the computer’s screen instead of doing something Kris suspected as homework.

“Good.” He answered shortly without turned back to see who’s talking as he expected the intruder.

Kris pulled a chair and sat down next to Luhan. “If the school was good, why are you seemed not okay?”

“I don’t know, dad. You know something missing.”

Kris fell into silence. He knew what Luhan was talked about. He and his son have hole in their heart for years. No matter how hard they’ve tried, that hole decline to moor, leading them into a deeper suffer.

“I’m turning eighteen. I’m going to graduate the high school next year. But I still feel empty. It’s been you and me all the times dad, don’t you feel the same? You spent the whole time concerning work and work. Sometimes you forget that you have me. In the other side, I’m busy with my routine; all we can do is killing the time, filling the emptiness.”

Luhan was 17 years old but as he grew up, Kris taught him to keep stronger since it’s only they two. They belong to each other. Luhan learnt to survive, to be smarter, and to be stronger. Sometimes he felt sorry for his dad who had to pass day by day by himself, with no companion.

He had a thought to find someone replacing his last mom, just to see a sincere smile appear on his dad’s face. But he himself never ready to see other people do the chores as his mom did or being around with them. He will never ever find someone perfect to replace his mom.

“I’m sorry, Lu. If you want I’ll try my best to find..”

“Don’t. Please dad, don’t torture yourself with such a thing. I won’t ready either.” Luhan cut it off.

Kris did date some random people just to fill the emptiness. No one matched to their preference, neither he nor Luhan.

“I can’t move on, dad. It’s too hard.”

“So do I.” Kris said. “Too hard to replace your mom.”

They both fell into silence once again until Kris asked. “Why did you bring this up?”

Luhan bit his lips. “Parents meeting next week.”

Kris tapped his forehead. Parents’ meeting was a gathering for parents with teachers in Luhan’s school. They experienced the same things many times. It’s alright for Kris to attend it by himself. And It’s easy for Luhan too at the first time until he surrounded by other student who bring both of their parents. Luhan had to suffer this kind of thing once again.

Kris really wanted to say a comfort thing to ease Luhan’s feeling right now but he couldn’t resist his own pain too. How hard his life.

*

 

The luck was on Kris’ side. Apparently, his son wasn’t the only student who went to the meeting without complete parents.

“So you’re alone? I mean, just both of you?” Kris asked after he greeted Junmyeon who standing beside his son. Since their sons went to the same school, their encounter was predictable. But Kris wasn’t expected to see Junmyeon attended the meeting by himself with worry face.

Kim Junmyeon nodded. “My youngest son is sick and ordered to stay at home by doctor. My husband or usually called as appa by my both children can’t leave him alone for sure.”

Kris smiled to hear Junmyeon’s explanation. “Wish your son gets well very soon.” But he added quickly, “I’m not the only one then.”

Junmyeon frowned since he didn’t get what’s Kris point.

Kris laughed. “Luhan never feel comfort being surrounded by complete parents. Though he has me, he still missing his late mom. So it’s good for him by now.”

“Ah I see.”

“Please don’t get me wrong, I didn’t mean your solo attendance but..”

Junmyeon smiled. “I understand. Easy.”

“So, what’s your husband does?”

“He stays at home, doing daily routine and chores. He asked me to let him work but I decline. I prefer him to stay at home, taking care of everything, welcoming me and the kids after the busy day of school and office. Because his smile just like a sunshine after the rain. To see his smile just dispel the fatigue, you know.”

“I’m envy you.” Kris said. “I wish I have someone who is waiting for me at home every day. You must be loved him much.”

“I do. And I hope our happiness will be endless. I’m willing to exchange anything except our happiness and togetherness.”

Kris nodded as he agreed to Junmyeon’s statement. He looked around. “Where are they?”

Junmyeon followed, he tried to find Jongin and Luhan but they’re nowhere to be seen. “Perhaps they’re joining their friends. Just wait them here.”

Actually Jongin and Luhan sneaked out since they preferred to be under the warm spring sun rather than being in the ballroom with the bunch of parents.

“How’s Sehun? Is he okay?” Luhan asked as he showed his worry face.

Eventually, Jongin reluctant to reply but it’s kinda rude if he didn’t do it either. “He’s okay, sunbae. He got fever this morning so my appa had to stay home with him.”

“You can call me hyung instead of sunbae.” Luhan said but he added then, “If you don’t mind for sure.”

He’s fully aware that Jongin disliked him. He didn’t know the reason but he got the feeling. Jongin didn’t show friendly face whenever he’s around and Sehun just followed what his brother did : when Jongin disliked someone, Sehun would do the same.

It didn’t matter at all if Luhan had no interest toward Sehun. He thought Sehun was different. And he sensed something, just like relation or connection. But he couldn’t explain this.

“If I did something bad earlier, I’m sorry. It must be done accidentally.” Luhan spoke again, trying to catch Jongin’s attention.

Jongin was taken aback when Luhan asking him to call him hyung. But just now he asked a forgiveness which not necessary since Luhan didn’t do something wrong.

“You didn’t do something wrong. I’m the one who should say an apology.” Jongin answered.

Luhan smiled. “Would you call me hyung as I request?”

Jongin bit his lips in hesitate, he didn’t like Luhan for sure but he didn’t have the heart to say no. “I’ll try.”

“That’s good. It’s relieved. But if I can get an answer, mind to tell me why you seem dislike me?”

Once again, Jongin startled. He didn’t expect Luhan knew his mind. But he replied bravely. “There’s no special case. I think I’m envy since you have good looking and good dancing skill.”

Luhan frowned. “You have the same. Both you and Sehun have great talent in dancing and you’re adored by everyone with your looks.”

“Really?”

Luhan nodded. “Yeah. Come on, I’m just a new guy in the school. People will choose the hot dancer like you instead. But if you know earlier, I’m envy you also since you’re younger, hot and handsome. Boys and girls in the school never stop talking about you and Sehun, praising you two every time.”

Jongin’s face turned to red. That’s funny, he envy to someone who actually envy at him too.

“Hope Sehun will get better.” Luhan said sincerely.

“Thanks. I hope so. Being at the school without his presence is loneliness. We’re not actual sibling. We both adopted. But it feels like I can’t separate from him even a minute. That’s why I’m being overprotective toward him. Sorry for being rude earlier.. hyung..”

Luhan smiled. “You must be very closed each other. So, you have 2 fathers, right?”

“Yes.” Jongin nodded. “Daddy and appa. And both of them are nice, warm and kind-hearted.”

“Can you describe your appa? He seems like a very good man.”

Jongin smiled, he liked to describe his beloved appa. “He’s handsome with his big eyes which is rare for Korean.”

“Is he has beautiful voice too?” Luhan asked.

“Yes. But how do you know?”

“Just guessing, because your dad has angelic voice.”

“Hm.. I see. My appa is the best with cooking.” Jongin added proudly.

“Is he humming a song while cooking?” again, Luhan asked.

“Hey, how do you know?”

“Just guessing. Usually people with good voice will hum while doing something they like.”

“Oh.. Yeah. And whenever he singing, it’s like in heaven.”

“Is he has heart-shaped lips?” Luhan asked but now with a bit compel.

Jongin stared at Luhan in curiosity. “Why you seem like you know my appa? Don’t tell me it’s just guessting.”

Luhan lost for words.

*