6 Seconds

6 Seconds

This story is unbetaed. I did my best to edit it. Enjoy!

 

Kyungsoo never was really sure how he felt about his life as an idol. Most of the time he loved it. He loved getting to sing all the time, getting to participate in concerts, and meeting all sorts of people he'd never see without the idol life. He loved the great friends he made within his band. He enjoyed the acting opportunities that surfaced because of it. But most of all, he loved his fans.

 

There were no people more loyal than his fans. Every birthday he got paraded with gifts and little shoutouts on the Internet, with people all over the world expressing their love. Whenever he got nervous about a performance, his fans were always there to cheer him on. They find his clumsy and embarrassing moments endearing, and never cease to make him smile. 

 

This sort of affection, however, was not shared with his sasaeng fans. The majority of the time he didn't even associate them with the other fans. They were a whole new category on their own. The way they followed him every second of his life and did anything to get near him scared Kyungsoo so much. They were just plain vicious and inconsiderate. He once had a dream where he was trampled to death by a large group of them. They were the reason he sometimes absolutely loathed the life of an idol. 

 

And as they exited the plane at the Seoul Airport, he was defiantly feeling his distaste for the idol life. The deafening screams were already easily heard in the tunnel, and they weren't anywhere near the area where the loud crowd would be located. Kyungsoo exchanged an agitated glance with Kai. One of the most commonly shared things in Exo was the view towards sasaengs. 

 

Now, Kyungsoo knew that not everyone in the crowd would be sasaengs. He knew that many of them would be their normal fans just anxious to see one of their favorite K-Pop groups. Though he also knew that the sasaengs would be the ones in the very front that screamed the loudest, pushed the hardest, and always tried to touch Kyungsoo and the other members. 

 

Their managers and an entire fleet of airport security members escorted the Exo group through the airport, keeping them safe from any fan that appeared. As they walked, Kyungsoo chatted with Chen, discussing an American drama that they had been watching together on the plane ride. 

 

"I still can't believe how effortlessly he managed to jump in front of that bullet for her," ranted the Exo-M member. "I mean, it's like he didn't even question the fact that he would probably die in turn. He just moved!" 

 

"Jongdae," Kyungsoo deadpanned, "it's a drama. Fiction. Of course the writers had him jump without hesitation. It helps emphasize how much he loves her and brings tears from the sappier audience members. Everyone loves a sappy romance after all." 

 

"I know, but just think about it," said Chen, waving his arms around animatedly. "Forget all the fiction behind the story and just try to put yourself in that situation. Someone you care so deeply about has a gun pointed right at them and you have less than ten seconds to make a choice: save their life, or save your own." The older boy shook his head in disbelief. "How do you even choose?" 

 

"You could look at it this way: do you let them die and make your life miserable wondering what could've been, or die and make their life miserable wondering why you had to save them? That is, if they survive after you save them," stated Kyungsoo. Chen arched an eyebrow and gave the tiny singer a weird look. He needed normal friends. 

 

"Please elaborate, Debbie Downer."

 

"Well, if you think about it, the person you're saving is the original target. So do you really think just pushing them out of the way once will save them forever, especially if the attacker has a loaded gun? If this situation were to be real, the attacker would probably just try again." 

 

Chen's lips pursed and his shoulders sagged slightly, making Kyungsoo smirk. Sure, it was a bratty move, but at least it snapped Jongdae out of one of his unrealistic "what if" scenarios. 

 

They rounded the corner and Kyungsoo got his first look at the hundreds of fans that came to see them. Nearly everyone held up signs, ranging from, I love Lay, to Sehun-oppa is the best. Once the band's presence was noticed, Kyungsoo ran a hand through his hair and subconsciously put his guard up. Their managers pushed them through the crowd, assisting the security with any fans that tried to break through. Kyungsoo scanned the mass of people, smiling inwardly when he saw his own fan signs. He nodded his acknowledgements to a huge group of them located a little farther back, and a ghost of a smile appeared on his face when he saw the explosive reaction. The girls, to his relief, didn't make any more moves than that like some other fans would've. The ghost smile grew ever so slightly. These were the fans he appreciated. 

 

"Chanyeol-oppa!" called a loud, nasally voice that carried over the noise with ease. Kyungsoo's smile dropped and his eyes shifted. Standing in the front like usual was the bane of Exo's existence. It was a running joke with the members that a trip wasn't complete without seeing her face at least five times. The woman was completely insane. She managed to follow them everywhere they went without fault. The first time he saw her, Kyungsoo couldn't shake off the feeling that she'd be different than the other sasaengs. At first, he thought it was just because she was prettier than most—which, admittedly, she was, with flawless skin, full pink lips, and silky hair. She could be mistaken for an idol if it weren't for her eyes, which always contained a crazed look in them. But then Kyungsoo quickly learned that looks had nothing to do with it. She was different because she literally took the term sasaeng and tattooed it on her body. She was ten times more vicious, mental, and dangerous than any other sasaeng. 

 

Chanyeol, who stood a few feet in front of Kyungsoo, visibly shuddered when she said his name. The fan seemed to find great joy in targeting the lanky rapper ever since Kris had left the band. Baekhyun grabbed Chanyeol's wrist and gave him a small tug to keep him moving. The "happy virus" of the group shuffled forward without even glancing at the crazed girl. 

 

The said person did not seem pleased by this. She balled her fists and marched on after him, brutally shoving other fans to the side. An unearthly look was in her eyes when she caught up. 

 

"Chanyeol-oppa!" she called again. "Look at me when I'm talking to you!" 

 

Chanyeol made a gulping sound loud enough for Kyungsoo to hear but he didn't back down. The small singer wasn't sure whether to praise him for his courage or slap him for his stupidity. 

 

The sasaeng was shaking now, and her face was bright red with anger. "Chanyeol..." she growled inhumanly. She shifted her coat slightly, and that's when Kyungsoo saw it. Cloaked by her jacket, stuffed into her jeans, was a pistol. And moving closer and closer to it was her hand. 

 

"I said," she continued, taking hold of the weapon, and Kyungsoo's heart seemed to stop. His body went numb, his mind went blank. He didn't remember telling his legs to move but they were, just a moment before the sasaeng drew her gun. Every part of Kyungsoo was screaming for him to stop; yet nothing happened. He saw the crazed fan take aim out of the corner of his eye. 

 

"LOOK AT ME!" she screamed. Finally, Kyungsoo reached the frozen Chanyeol. Using the strength of his momentum, he shoved the larger boy to the ground a millisecond before the gunshot rang out. 

 

Kyungsoo's body still felt numb. His vision swam with adrenaline and his hearing was jumbled from the bang. He could hear seemingly distant screams all around him. Everyone seemed to be moving in slow motion. Baekhyun and Chen rushed to Chanyeol, and Kyungsoo could sort of hear them asking the tallest member if he was okay. Kyungsoo watched the other Exo members flock to Chanyeol, while a commanding boom echoed through the room, telling the fans to back away. Surprisingly, they did. Kyungsoo could see that most of them were crying and holding onto each other. The main vocalist wanted to tell them it was okay, but found his voice wouldn't work. He saw the attacker pinned to the floor, the gun far from her reach, and her pleas of mercy barely heard. Kyungsoo shook his head. Everything felt wrong. 

 

Especially the sticky wetness on his arm. 

 

Kyungsoo slowly glanced down at his stomach. He stiffly moved his arm off his shirt, and frowned at the red liquid staining his skin. His shirt was black, so you couldn't see the wet area, but when Kyungsoo ran his hand against it, he could defiantly feel it. His palm and fingers came up completely covered in a red substance that looked suspiciously a lot like—

 

Blood

 

It was like he was hit by a truck. Suddenly, all the disorientation slipped away. He could hear perfectly again, his vision was crystal clear. And so was the unbearable pain emitting from his stomach area. 

 

Xiumin, who was closest, looked over at Kyungsoo. His already deathly pale skin turned even whiter when he saw the blood covering the younger's hand and arm. He pushed himself up from his spot over Chanyeol and launched himself at Kyungsoo, who was just about to collapse to the floor. He gripped the bloody man's arm tightly to keep him from hitting the ground and wrapped his other arm around Kyungsoo's back. 

 

"D.O!" Xiumin tried to shout, but his voice cracked so bad it was unintelligible. His sheet white skin was turning slightly green. His head whipped to the other members and he brokenly shouted for help. His voice was weak and trembling, but just loud enough. Seven pairs of eye landed on the duo, followed by many more. 

 

"Kyungsoo!" Suho was the first to react. He practically hurdled over the other members, coming an inch from kicking Sehun in the head. He latched onto the wounded member, placing one hand on his back and one on his front. The leader's eyes widened as he pulled back his hand on the stomach, finding it dripping red. He looked close to throwing up. 

 

"Yah, set him on the floor. Gently now. Suho, put his head in your lap, and Xiumin, find something to use as a cloth and put as much pressure as you can on the wound. Baekhyun, go call an ambulance. Stay calm when you're talking to them. Now go!" commanded a manager-hyung. Baekhyun scrambled for his phone, his shaking hands making it hard to type. Suho was busy situating Kyungsoo's head in his lap while Xiumin looked everywhere for a cloth. He looked down at his shirt, and looked like he was contemplating using it, when Lay ripped of his jacket and shoved it at the eldest member. 

 

"Thanks," Xiumin breathed. He snatched hold the jacket and hesitantly turned back to Kyungsoo. With his free hand, he apprehensively pulled up the blood-covered shirt, revealing the bullet hole. Xiumin felt faint as he pressed the jacket against it with all his strength. He looked over at the remaining members to keep his mind off the blood seeping through the fabric. Baekhyun was speaking frantically into his phone. Chen was trying to consult an unresponsive Chanyeol, while Kai was rubbing Sehun's back as the maknae released his insides in the nearest trashcan. The lead dancer looked ready to puke as well. On his other side, Lay had taken Kyungsoo's head in his lap while Suho was busy talking to the injured member. 

 

"Yah, Soo. You got to stay awake Soo," he said, his voice shaking and tears staining his face. "D.O. D.O you need to look at me. Keep you're eyes on me, okay? Eyes on me." 

 

Kyungsoo's head rolled side to side in Lay's lap, his eyes not landing on anything in particular. Occasionally they'd flicker upwards, like Kyungsoo was trying to obey his leader, but seconds later they would roll right back. His eyelids began to sag, and Suho started to panic. 

 

"I swear, Kyungsoo, don't you dare close your eyes. You got keep them on me. Look at Yixing, look at Minseok-hyung, just keep your eyes on someone." 

 

Kyungsoo's eyes rolled up to Lay for a moment before staring at something a little to the side. His eyes narrowed slightly. "It's really bright," he grumbled, his words slurring together. Suho in a sharp breath. 

 

"Yah, don't pay attention to that. Just do what I've been saying. You need to do that." Suho sighed. This wasn't working and he couldn't take much more of it. He could feel his resolve cracking. The leader's eyes shot up and landed on Kai. "Yah, Jongin! Come here!" The second maknae patted Sehun on the back and jogged over. His eyes were red from crying, but he looked fairly stable. Perfect. 

 

Suho looked back at the wounded member. "Look, Soo, it's Kai. Keep your eyes on Kai, alright?" Suho stood up unsteadily, and turned to Jongin. "Keep him focused on someone at all times, and just talk to him. Let him know you're there. I need to...to—I need to go." 

 

Kai nodded sympathetically and took Kyungsoo's hand in his own. Suho wandered over to Baekhyun, who was off the phone and now crying silently to himself. He wiped his tears when he saw the Exo leader approaching. 

 

"I called the ambulance," he stated. "They're on their way." Baekhyun sniffled and took a deep breath. Suho pulled the younger boy into a big hug. Baekhyun released his breath shakily and squeezed back.  "Is D.O going to die?" he asked, his voice chocked with despaired sobs. 

 

Suho, alarmed, shook his head ferociously. "No, of course not. You said so yourself, an ambulance is on the way. The paramedics will help him. He'll be okay," Suho's voice was determined, but his eyes betrayed him. Baekhyun's shoulders sagged and his body shook with each convulsive gasp as he cried. 

 

"He'll be okay," Suho whispered again, wishing he really believed that. 

 

Throughout all the chaos, Kyungsoo was just confused. He didn't really understand what was happening. He was in more pain than he had ever been in before in his life. Hurting his ankle during that one performance felt like a tickle compared to this. He felt a hand running through his hair, and someone else was squeezing his fingers. Kai was kneeled above him, talking to him, but it was getting harder and harder to hear. Kyungsoo didn't know why, but the pain was subsiding ever so slightly too. He sighed and blinked away tears. He just wanted it all to be over.

 

Kyungsoo was brought back to focus by a growing number of shouts that started to arise. His head rolled to the side and he saw the crowd of fans part like the Red Sea. A group of people wearing blue uniforms came running down. One was holding a large bright orange bag and the other two were hauling some long platform. The one with the bag arrived first. He skidded next to Kyungsoo and took the cloth from Xiumin, dismissing the boy. The other two paramedics came and laid the stretcher next to the wounded idol, asking Lay and Kai to move while thanking them for their work. The first paramedic handed back Lay's blood soaked coat and replaced it with a stack of fresh gauze pads.

 

"Hello, I'm Kang Rye Hee, I'm a paramedic. We're here to help you. Can you tell me you're name?" the female paramedic asked. Kyungsoo thinks he mumbled his name. The world was going a little to fuzzy for him to tell. The paramedic didn't react much to his answer and turned to her partners. "Okay, let's get him to the ambulance, we'll stabilize him there."

 

She took over pressing down the gauze pads while the other two picked Kyungsoo up and strapped him down on the stretcher. He was swiftly carried outside. Kyungsoo's head rolled to the side again.  Though the flashing lights obscured his vision, he could see the crazed fan, handcuffed and being shoved into a police car. A sick smile came upon her face when she saw him pass. 

 

The paramedics moved Kyungsoo onto a small bed and strapped a breathing mask on his face. Though it was much easier to breath now, the singer could still feel himself slipping away. As Kyungsoo was loaded into the ambulance, he got one last glimpse of his band mates, all huddled together, before the doors were shut and he was gone. 

 

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

 

The surgical room was chaotic. Nurses and doctors stood all around the surgeon, assisting him in any way they could. The steady beat of the heart monitor echoed in the background. The surgeon carefully cut into the patient's stomach. A tarp was hung to keep him from seeing the person's face, but he knew the name. Immensely popular idol, Do Kyungsoo. Sweat started to bead on his forehead at the thought of this surgery going wrong. 

 

Alas, he found the bullet, lodged deep within the patient. He carefully took it out and placed it on the tray a nurse was holding out. The surgeon sighed in relief. Now all he had to do was stitch the patient back up and—

 

Suddenly, the idol started convulsing. His body jerked and shook violently, knocking a tray over in the process. Startled, the surgeon shouted at the other medical workers, demanding to know what was going on. A nurse stammered that they didn't know as she checked out the patient. One of the stronger doctors was trying to hold the patient down. Blood was getting everywhere. The patient let out a strangled, inhuman cry that was followed by the deafening screech of a flat line. 

 

Not skipping a beat, the surgeon ordered for the defibrillator, but a nurse was already one step ahead of him. She had it out and was in the middle of setting it up on the lifeless boy. There was a familiar humming sound as it was . The nurse placed them on the patient's chest and waited.

 

"Clear!" the surgeon shouted. A loud zap sounded through the room and the patient's body jerked, but the heart monitor didn't change. The surgeon bit his lip. 

 

"Again!" he ordered. The nurse reset the defibrillator. "Clear!"

 

Once again no change. The surgeon ordered it once more, hoping, praying for a change. 

 

None. 

 

The surgeon inhaled deeply and threw his surgical tools on the tray as he marched out of the room. The nurse took the defibrillator away while another one took the tarp down, revealing Kyungsoo's lifeless face for a split second before she started to pulled a white sheet over it—

 

Chanyeol jolted upward at lightning speed. His breathing was labored and tears ran down his face. He glanced around the dark room, and his eyes landed on Kyungsoo's empty bed. He felt sick. The walls were almost suffocating. He scrambled out of his sheets and padded out of the room, careful not to wake Jongin. He wandered through the dorm and ended up collapsing on the sofa. He shivered and curled into himself. That was the third time he had a dream like that since the incident four days ago. The only reason he didn't have another was because he never slept the first night. Every time he closed his eyes he saw himself at the airport again, with the gun trained right at him. Kyungsoo coming out of nowhere, taking the bullet meant for him...

 

Chanyeol chucked the nearest pillow at the wall and pulled on his hair. Why, D.O, why...?

 

"Chanyeol?" a voice called out. Through the moonlight that seeped through the windows, Chanyeol made out the silhouette of Baekhyun. 

 

"What?" the taller boy responded weakly, sniffling. Baekhyun moved forward until he was seated right next to his best friend. 

 

"You need to see him," he stated bluntly. Chanyeol, knowing what the singer was getting at, turned away and grumbled that he couldn't. Baekhyun bristled.

 

"Why not? Everyone else has gone to see him multiple times, but you're yet to do it once. Hell, even Luhan, Kris, and Tao went to go see him! He misses you, Chanyeol." 

 

"I just can't, okay? Why won't you understand that?" Chanyeol snapped and stood up to walk away. 

 

"Because you won't let me! You never give any of us an explanation! Why won't you go see him? He freaking saved your life, Chanyeol!" Baekhyun shouted at his friend's back. Chanyeol balled his fists and turned around. 

 

"Don't you think I know that?" he shouted, "I think of it every waking second of the day! Every time I close my eyes, I keep on seeing these images of Kyungsoo dying! And he almost did, Baekhyun! The idiot almost gave his life back there for me, and now I can't face him because...because...." Chanyeol sighed and turned away again, running his fingers through his hair. 

 

"Because why, Yeol? Give me an explanation already, you pathetic whimp!" Baekhyun was fuming now, his face red from exertion. Chanyeol winced and took a deep breath.

 

"Because...I'm not sure I would've done the same." 

 

It was silent for a long time. Chanyeol was trembling and his breathing was labored. A stray tear fell down his cheek, and he quickly wiped it away. 

 

"Chanyeol..." Baekhyun said softly. He placed a hand on the taller boy's shoulder, but instead of comforting him like Chanyeol thought, Baekhyun spun him around and socked him as hard as he could. 

 

"You're an idiot," he snapped before marching away, ignoring the other members who had popped their heads out to see what the commotion was. 

 

One by one, each member returned to their room, until it was only Chanyeol. He sat on the floor, cradling his cheek. Pain filled his eyes, and he knew it wasn't from being punched.

 

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

 

"In the Seoul Airport on Friday, K-Pop artist, Do Kyungsoo, who goes by the stage name of D.O, was shot by a crazed fan. These type of fans are often referred to as sasaengs, and are notoriously known for their sickening obsession with K-Pop groups. Sources show that the fan's original target was rapper Park Chanyeol, who is apart of the group Exo along with Do. The fan has been seen harassing Park and ex-member Wu "Kris" Yifan many times, but when Park refused to acknowledge her this time around, she snapped. Witnesses report that she did not reveal the gun until the second she fired, giving security no time to stop her. However, Do seemed to have seen the gun beforehand and pushed Park out of the way, but wasn't fast enough to save himself. Fortunately, the paramedics arrived at the scene quickly, and SM Entertainment has reported that Kyungsoo is alive and well, and very happy to be so. Back to you, Jacob." 

 

Chanyeol stood outside Kyungsoo's hospital room, listening to the news report in English. His palms were sweating as he pushed the door slowly open. Kyungsoo was lying in a hospital bed, completely focused on the television. His brown hair was an adorable mess, contrasting with his expression of utter boredom, but overall he looked, well, healthy; at least, healthy for someone who had just been shot, that is. Chanyeol exhaled a deep breath he hadn't known he was holding. 

 

"National news, huh? That's impressive," he finally said, trying hard to keep his voice steady. Kyungsoo's head snapped over to the newcomer. A small grin appeared on his face and he pushed himself into a sitting position. 

 

"Yeah," Kyungsoo responded softly, turning the TV off. "I was watching one streaming from Germany earlier. It's crazy." 

 

Chanyeol nodded, leaving an awkward silence between them. The lanky idol grimaced and rubbed his hands together. "You look well," he commented, slowly pulling a chair over and sitting down. 

 

"You don't," Kyungsoo replied bluntly. "What happened to your face?"

 

Chanyeol's hand lightly cupped his bruised cheek. "Oh, that. Baekhyun happened. He got mad because I, uh...yeah." He awkwardly cleared his throat and scratched the back of his neck. "Anyways he punched me. I deserved it though, so don't get upset and stuff." 

 

Kyungsoo arched an eyebrow and remained quiet for a long time. Chanyeol ran his fingers through his hair anxiously. 

 

"Why didn't you visit me earlier, Chanyeol?" he finally asked. 

 

The tall boy stiffened at the question and his throat went dry. He opened and closed his mouth like a fish, unsure how to answer. Kyungsoo frowned at his flustered elder. 

 

"Did you think I would be mad at you? That I regretted pushing you away?" he pressed. Chanyeol shook his head dumbly. 

 

"No, I just..." He sighed and placed his head in his hands. "Why'd you do it, Soo?" 

 

Chanyeol wasn't sure what expected for an answer, but it certainly wasn't the one he got. 

 

"I don't know," said Kyungsoo plainly as he picked at the bedsheets. Chanyeol's head shot upward and looked at Kyungsoo weirdly. 

 

"What?" he asked incredulously. "You don't know?" 

 

Kyungsoo shrugged. "Nope." 

 

Chanyeol collapsed back into his chair and pinched the bridge of his nose. This "little chat" wasn't making him feel any better like everyone said it would. 

 

"You want to know something funny?" 

 

Chanyeol looked back up and placed his chin in his palm. "Do tell," he prompted. 

 

"Right before...it happened, I was talking to Jongdae-hyung about a show we had watched on the plane. In one of the episodes, the main character guy had jumped in front of the girl he loved to save her from being shot. Chen later asked me what I would've done if someone I cared about was in the same situation. Want to know what I said?"

 

Kyungsoo took the silence as permission to continue. 

 

"I said I wouldn't. I said that I wouldn't want to leave the person suffering over my death when it should've been theirs. I also said how, with me dead, the attacker could always just try again, and I would've died in vain."

 

Chanyeol was aghast. "But..." he tried to say, but found himself unable to speak again. 

 

Kyungsoo seemed to get what he meant and laughed. "Ironic, I know. Chen-brat made sure that was very clear during his first visit here." 

 

The rapper smiled weakly, but still felt troubled. "So you have no clue why you did it?" 

 

Kyungsoo shrugged again. "When I first saw the gun, mostly hidden by her coat at the time, it was like I lost control of my body. I could no longer direct what I was doing, even though I was literally screaming at by body to stop. I guess when it involves someone you care deeply about, you tend to do things you never thought you would." 

 

Chanyeol nodded slowly, feeling satisfied with the answer, before smirking. "So you care deeply about me, huh?" he teased, catching what the small boy said. Kyungsoo's eyes narrowed. 

 

"Hyung..." he growled warningly. 

 

"Love you too, Soo."