I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)

Fifty Percent True: The Pick-Me-Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ever since going out with Jaebum and Jackson, Mark and Jinyoung found that they've secured a little more privacy. The calls for help from the rest of the group were still incessant, though the roommates had stopped interrupting their affairs whenever the couple were behind closed doors. Nevertheless, Mark and Jinyoung never did more than cuddle or kiss. They decided they would aim to respect the rules of the dorm. They agreed that they would at least meet the rest of the roommates halfway.

Mark knocks briskly on Jinyoung’s door before stepping in.

“Morning!” the boy chimes.

Jinyoung’s still in bed, rioting against the morning sunlight filtering through his window by pulling the covers over himself. Mark approaches the boy’s bed and takes a seat.

“Time to get up.”

“I’m feeling sick.” Jinyoung moans from underneath the blanket.

“Are you?” Mark replies, his tone turning to concern and sympathy.

As his hand is about to pull the cover over Jinyoung, the blanket is briskly pushed off the body. And in one swift motion, Jinyoung’s hand grabs Mark’s wrist and pulls him onto the mattress beside him.

“You twerp.” Mark mutters, head slightly dazed from the crash.

“Morning, sunshine.” Jinyoung smiles.

Mark notices the scent of minty freshness coming from the other boy’s breath.

“You brushed your teeth.” He points out. “You planned this, didn’t you?”

“Well…I miss this.” Jinyoung explains, leg wrapping around Mark’s thigh to emphasize the point.

“I do too.” Mark responds, wrapping a firm arm around Jinyoung’s hip, pulling him in closer.

“Mark, have you showered? We have to get going soon!” An anonymous voice calls from somewhere in the dorm.

“Right on schedule.” The boy mutters.

“Well then, I’ll make this quick.” Jinyoung says, before his lips move in to meet Mark’s.

He savours every detail of it, knowing he’ll be deprived of it for several hours.

“I’ll see you here tonight.”

 

Jaebum and Mark are at the dance studio, hacking out one of the major dance routines. While Jaebum is a very competent dancer, it’s not without the extra practice that he’s been a reliable leader.

Though this is the first time he’s roped Mark into it. While the boy has planned to work on his flips with Jackson later in the week, he’s agreed to cram practicing with Jaebum before running to the recording studio at JYP.

After an hour of work, they conclude their rehearsal by collapsing on the couch.

“You know Mark,” Jaebum manages, “Yugyeom speaks a lot about your family back home. He says you’re a very lucky guy.”

“Yeah, I guess I am.” Mark chuckles.

“Ever since he told me that, I’ve been meaning to ask you something.” Jaebum confesses. “How does your family do it? How does your family make everyone happy?”

Mark scratches his chin, thinking of the perfect response.

“It’s a bunch of different things.” Mark replies hesitantly. “It’s not something you know, it’s something you learn. It’s something you keep trying… over and over again.”

Jaebum nods to signal he understands what Mark is saying.

“You know Thomas Edison?” Mark asks.

“Who’s he?”

“He’s the guy who invented the lightbulb.”

“Oh.”

“You know he tried over a thousand times before he made the lightbulb?”

“Really?”

“Yeah. And at the end he said ‘I didn’t fail. I just discovered a thousand ways how to not make a lightbulb. The same goes for being part of a family.”

Mark scratches his nose, knowing he hasn’t given the perfect translation of the quote. Nevertheless, Jaebum chuckles heartily before taking another swig from his water bottle.

“It’s different being here in Korea isn’t it Mark, rooming with a bunch of guys?”

“It’s great. I miss my family too but… I also got you guys.”

“That’s true.” Jaebum replies, proudly. “What do you think we should do?”

“Why, is there something wrong?”

“Oh no, we’re doing fine.” Jaebum reassures. “I just think it’d be great if we could do something to help bring the group together. Something to help take our minds off the album.”

“You think so.”

“Yeah.” Jaebum confides. “Do you have any ideas?”

 

 

“A puppy?!” Bambam echoes in disbelief for thousandth time.

“Yes, Bam.” Jinyoung reassures him once more.

“And who’s going to take care of it?” Seunghoon interrogates.

Everyone—except Jackson and Yugyeom who are at the recording studio—is gathered in the dorm kitchen for an unofficial meeting.

“We will. Everyone.” Mark explains.

“Are you sure about that?” Seunghoon tempts. “You’re gonna go out for walks with it, and feed it…

“Yes.”

“…and take it to the vet in the middle of the night when it gets sick, and clean up after it, and wash it, and everything else?”

“Yes.”

“And what about when you boy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter