3005

Fifty Percent True: The Pick-Me-Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mark and Jinyoung never anticipated how much of their time together would get cut short by their bandmates.

Bambam needs help with his English homework at the same time that Jackson’s looking for company to go grocery shopping with. Jaebum needs someone to spot him at the gym, while Youngjae needs an opinion on his vocalizations for the upcoming album. Mark and Jinyoung were, so far, fortunate enough to have their kisses ‘good morning’ and ‘good night’, though they were no longer surprised if they were interrupted by one of their roommates wailing for help.

 

Even as they step out of the apartment to enjoy their first day-off from work since coming back to Seoul, they find themselves under the thumb of one of their bandmates.

“Where are you going?” Jaebum interrogates, shooting a line of vision directly from the kitchen table.

“We’re going out to eat and then watch a movie.” Mark answers, hesitantly.

“Sweet, can I join? Let me grab Jackson!” Jaebum says, springing out of his chair.

“But hyung, we—

Jinyoung is about to protest the sudden invitation, but Jaebum’s already brushed past him. In the meanwhile, Mark uses the newfound privacy to assure his frustrated boyfriend with a kiss on the forehead.

“It’s okay, we’ll sneak out another time.”

 

One thing was certain, Mark stayed close to Jinyoung while they were travelling so he could rush to the seat beside his boyfriend at the restaurant – Jaebum and Jackson wouldn’t be taking that privilege away from him.

“I don’t know. I wish the producers made something more… y… or bad boy.” Jackson states.

They’re discussing their opinions on their upcoming mini album, particularly the lead single, while waiting for their orders.

“I think it’s a great idea.” Jinyoung comments. “The pop industry is full of bad boys and bad girls – how do you think it feels for girls that don’t feel like they fit the y concept?”

“Why shouldn’t they?” Jaebum rebuts. “Everyone’s y in their own way.”

“I think he means that…” Mark explains. “y isn’t the only thing that’s attractive. People are prettiest when they’re themselves.”

Jinyoung beams warmly at the remark, the kind of smile that says “I’m glad you’re my boyfriend” – the sort that has third-party observers, like Jaebum and Jackson, staring the other way out of awkwardness.

Fortunately for these two, the waitress arrived shortly with their orders.

“I really do miss your mom’s cooking though, Jinyoung” Jackson declares not long after the waitress has turned around.

“Alright then, you can leave your bowl here and go back to Busan.” Jinyoung replies, cheekily.

Subsequently, much of their time together at lunch is nothing but slurps and stares. Not a single word passes between bites. Though consistently, Jinyoung and Mark make prolonged eye-contact with each other, and Jaebum and Jackson do nothing except watch them stare at each other. It’s a punishingly awkward scenario for all parties.

It’s unpleasant enough for Jaebum to practically vacuum his meal off his plate before swiftly excusing himself to use the washroom.

A series of concerned stares are passed around the table before someone speaks about what’s happened.

“He’s worried about that review,” Jackson explains, “He thinks the board might split up the group if it doesn’t go well.”

“He told you that?” Mark asks.

“Yeah. He really enjoys living with everyone.”

Jackson’s tone is full of pity and concern – though in true Wang fashion, he’s rebounded to continue enjoying his meal.

“You know, I really do envy the two of you, the fact that you two are living together. You’re practically a married couple. The rest of us can’t date because of our contract.”

Jinyoung and Mark eye each other, silently relaying their mutual sentiments of merely tolerating the incessant requests of the other boys. If they were ‘married’, then they were ‘married-but-regretting-ever-having-five-kids’.

“We’re far from it.” Mark chuckles. “Why, is there someone you want to date?”

“What do you mean?”

“Is there a girl in your life, Jackson?”

“Well…” Jackson quickly stuffs his mouth with food.

“Oh .”

“Remember when I joined Roommate?”

“NO WAY, HER?!” Jinyoung exclaims, bringing two balled fists to his chin.

“Quiet down!”

At this point, Jinyoung is melting at the revelation.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter