Shadows

Shadows

He took a sip, carefully putting the glass down afterwards. His eyes stared at the happy couple, surrounded by everyone who loved them- almost everyone. The one who loved him the most wasn't there. The one who loved him more than his new wife would ever love him wasn't there. He couldn't go there. His heart couldn't take it.

He grabbed a couple more glasses of alcohol. Perhaps once he was inebriated; he was a happy drunk afterall. But the level of alcohol here wouldn't get him too drunk, and nobody will allow him to get that drunk.

"Kyuhyun! Come on! We're next for the pictures!" Ryeowook dragged him to the rest of their group, most of which were oblivious to how he was feeling. Ryeowook himself knew what was going on, but couldn't do anything for his best friend.

Their eyes met. Kyuhyun had to drag himself from the eyes he spent years wishing would see his love. He smiled to the camera, joining their group's antics. He had perfected this skill, and he was lucky enough to be part of this crazy family. The group was always large enough and crazy enough to cover the unhappiness of the others.

A soft hand touched his. Without even noticing, he had been shifted beside the lucky groom. Sungmin smiled inquiringly at him, partly worried at the quiet sadness he was exuding. Sungmin slowly intertwined their fingers, squeezing his hand lightly.

Kyuhyun stiffened at the contact, flashing a helpless smile at the other. He carefully let go of the other's hand, not wishing to stab himself deeper. He pushed himself to the end of the line, hoping nobody was able to take a picture of what just happened. He did not need that reminder for the rest of his life.

Sungmin's eyes flashed towards his direction, saddened at the rejection by his close friend. Until today, Kyuhyun had never rejected him, whether it was for a simple matter like snacks or to sneaking out to buy wine. Kyuhyun hadn't even talked to him the whole day, only speaking indirectly through the members. His wife tugged his arm lightly to keep his focus on the photographers.

As soon as their group's picture-taking was over, Kyuhyun shuffled towards the back of the wedding hall, intending to continue his alcohol marathon. He shot a meaningful look at Ryeowook, whose eyes had been trained on his figure since he started walking. He had someone to stop him from making drunk mistakes; he could continue without worry.

Ryeowook felt his own heart breaking as he saw Kyuhyun hiding his. He knew it was nobody's fault; the heart doesn't choose who to fall for, nor when. He himself had been hiding his feelings, but he was lucky enough to not to get it broken in front of everyone. Life was just cruel, not even waiting for Kyuhyun to mend his heart before shattering it.

Kyuhyun sat down on his chair quietly, drunk but not obviously. Tears refused to leave his eyes, already dried up from weeks of long showers. He felt detached from the scene; his mind feeling light after weeks of being too polluted by thoughts. He didn't care anymore. He told himself not to. Maybe it was time to let go, but not in this environment. The happy vibes around him did not match.

He stepped out, locking himself in a bathroom stall. His sleeves rolled up, he traced his veins lightly. Nicking them wouldn't kill him; it would only hurt, only draw unwanted attention. It would only show the world the truth he had kept locked for years. It would not do. He pulled his phone out, texting his manager and Ryeowook that he would take a cab home.

The darkness in the dorms suited his mood. He did not bother turning on any of the lights and just went directly into his room. He pulled out two boxes from his drawer, one containing a photo album, the other a bottle of wine. He put both of them under the bed, not intending for either to see the light soon. His clothes also went under the bed, the painful reminder of where he had just been.

In the silence of the room, his tears reappeared. He was not afraid of crying, not embarrassed of it. If anything, he felt comfort in it, a strange reassurance that he still had a place to let out his true feelings. He sat by the corner of the room, staring at the moonlight filtering through the window. It was as melancholy as he was, miles away from the nearest beings, unseen by the star whose light he reflected.