FIRST

RIDDLED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Noise fills the room as students exchange stories with each other. Those who are coming back are emptying their souls towards the friends whom they have not seen for months. Theirs are full of marvels, thrills, broken dreams and adventures. New faces are easy to spot. The words coming out of their mouths are questions asking for directions or shrills begging for their mothers not to leave them alone in this battlefield.

 

Crimson State University is alive once again.

 

The buildings are repainted gray and blue, it somewhat camouflages with the cloudless sky. The grass has been mown. The walls erased of vandalisms. The cameras once again , hundred eyes all around the perimeter watching every move we make, making sure we are not doing anything bad that may dampen the good reputation the school has maintained for half a century. Guards are posted in every corner, I greeted those I knew and smiled at those I didn't. It's just sad that my favorite guard, Jackson, is not here anymore. He has retired and is now spending the rest of his life tending to his bed-laden wife. Some bulbs have been changed, and I wonder if the one in the botanical garden has been undone too. I wished it wasn't.

 

I heaved a sigh as my foot lands on the last step of the stairs. I tell myself that it is nothing. That I just have to do what I need to do. I have been doing this thing for several years, this is nothing. Wear a smile, look at everyone straight in the eye, walk with dignity, but remain lovable. It's a mantra I needed to be who I am in this school. It's not a paragraph, just a sentence, yet I sometimes forget it. 

 

Everyone stops at the sight of me. Some grins at me, some asks the person beside them who I am, some calls me, some waves, some whistle, while others just simply stand and watch me parade in the hallway like it is a runway. Nothing out of ordinary happened, but I can't stop the throbbing in my chest. I don't know why I am like this. I feel so anxious, as if something would happen that could change everything in a snap. I try to think of possible reasons or scenarios why:

1. I got transferred to Section Bravo (It couldn't be. I was the first in class last year)

2. I wore my necktie wrong (Probably not. I checked my image for like, ten or twenty times today)

3. They are all brain washed and forgot about me. (Not logical, but maybe)

4. Someone better than me arrived in school.

5. (I still need to think)

 

I was lost in my thoughts I didn't notice that I have already arrived in my destination I needed to walk back. Our classroom was of standard size, also painted

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter