someone special to me

The Boys (BTS Collection)

Jimin meets the new kid at his job on a rainy day. (Yoonmin)


 It was weird that when Yoongi first laid eyes on Jimin, he just knew that Jimin was going to be someone special to him. He was kinder than the other boys and he was most definitely much cuter than the other boys.

Even though Jimin possessed a childish mind and a baby face, his body was a totally different story. The way his muscles flexed whenever he stretched his arms over his head made Yoongi's stomach do somersaults. It was hard not to stare when the veins on Jimin's arms were so prominent. Even when Jimin was just wearing a plain white tee, the muscles on his back were outlined beautifully. The way his shoulder blades pressed against the cotton material made Yoongi dream of how much better Jimin would look shirtless. A reoccurring thought that makes Yoongi's cheeks blossom a rosy red every time he thinks about it.

Yoongi never paid much attention to the interactions that him and Jimin had because he knew that even if his heart soared whenever he saw Jimin, Jimin did not feel the same. It was heartbreaking in the least, but he was too deep into his crush to throw it away. So he just kept his feelings there, not doing anything about them.

Usually, Yoongi would always try to catch small glimpses of Jimin around campus whenever he could and usually he would always find said boy in the center of a group of people. Always laughing and making the atmosphere lively because that was Jimin. He was always the mood maker and made a lot of hearts swell because of the way he smiled at you. It was a kind of smile that made you believe that he and you were the only people in the room. The kind of smile that made you feel special and that even if he has a whole list of people he knows, he would always remember you.

 A lot of people admired and adored Jimin for that reason and even if there were people who despised him, Jimin was always still kind to them. He was the good-hearted go lucky kid that made everyone love him.

It was kind of romantic how they first met, well, it was romantic to Yoongi anyway. Yoongi met Jimin when he was working at a coffee shop. It was a gloomy day and usually the place would be bustling with business but today was an exception, there was absolutely no one in the shop besides Yoongi. And since the entire place was so dead his co-worker decided to leave early, leaving him alone. As Yoongi was reorganizing the back the bell on the door rang, signaling that a customer had arrived. Yoongi promptly maneuvered his way over to his station to take the customer's order.

"I'm new here so are there any suggestions you would make?" The customer asked as he peered at the case filled with assortment of baked goods. His voice was melodic and a little soft, slightly high pitched but it was a sound that would soothe one's heart with a lullaby. "It really depends on your taste, something sweet? Or bitter? We have a variety of flavors to best fit what you want." Yoongi answered.

The customer decided to lift his head up from the case and finally met eyes with Yoongi and he immediately felt his heart race. The boy had a cute face and his dark eyes drew Yoongi in, the way they slightly curved upward at the ends made him even cuter. Although the way his eyes were also made him ier, or as Yoongi learned when he watched Jimin dance with focus in the dance studio that was right beside their school.

"What's your favorite…?" The boy asked as he peered at the green name tag that was on Yoongi's chest. "Yoongi."

"Uh-uhm my-my," Yoongi stuttered, his pale skin illuminating a tint of red. He finally cleared his throat and touched the nape of his neck awkwardly as he tried to get his thoughts straighten out. "I don’t have one, I usually change my taste each day and make a drink according to that."

"Then I'll have whatever you're feeling today." Jimin said, a smile spreading across his face. Oh god, he was even cuter when he smiled, Yoongi thought.

Yoongi nodded his head and went over to the table where all the supplies were and began to mix flavors together. His face felt hot as he saw out of the corner of his eye that Jimin was watching him intensely. Yoongi started to shake as nervousness took over his body, because to tell the truth; he's never had such a cute boy pay so much attention to him. As he reached over to grab something he accidentally knocked over the drink that he was in the process of making, within seconds Jimin grabbed several napkins from the counter, reached over and wiped most of mess away. "Are you always this clumsy?" Jimin asked with a chuckle as he disposed the wet and sticky napkins into the waste bin.

"Not typically...." Yoongi said as he grabbed a wet towel to wipe the rest of the mess.

"It must be my handsome looks, huh?" Jimin joked as he gave a wink to Yoongi, Yoongi's face turned a deeper shade of red because that was exactly why Yoongi was so nervous and clumsy.

Yoongi gave out a quiet chuckle as he ran a hand through his hair. "I'm just kidding." Jimin said as he decided to sit on a stool in front of Yoongi, which didn't make matters any better.

The cafe was kind of unique in the way that it was sort of setup like a bar, the purpose of it was to let the customers view the baristas make the drinks right in front of them. It was a unique experience and if the customer wants to make a custom drink then it'll be very easy to do as well.

"Let me start again, it usually doesn't take me this long to make, sorry." Yoongi apologized as he started to mix the ingredients once again.

"You're fine, I don't have anything else to do for the rest of the day anyway. And you know what? Make two of the drinks for me." Jimin said, tilting his head to rest on the palm of his hand.

"Oh, are you expecting someone?" Yoongi asked, as he finished the final touches on the first drink. Of course this guy would have someone, from what Yoongi can see so far, he was kind, attractive and probably intelligent. It would be hard for him to not have a significant other, but there was still a part of Yoongi that hoped he didn't have one. He was a little disappointed by it but in a few hours his intrigue in this boy would pass and he would not even have the chance to develop a crush. Although in the next passing months, this was not the case.

"No, but I do need a little company and..." Jimin stopped as he looked around the shop, "You seem to be the number one choice right now."

"Huh?" Yoongi asked, a little confused.

"Meaning you're going to be drinking coffee with me this evening." Jimin said with a breathtaking smile, his eyes curving into crescent moons.

"Oh..." Yoongi stammered, his heart began to race as if Jimin had just asked him on a date.

"So I take it as a yes?" Jimin asked, "I mean... If you have to tend to all these customers then it's okay, I understand." Jimin joked as he gestured to the empty shop.

"Oh, okay, sure." Yoongi said with a slight smile on his face as he finished the second drink quickly. "Here, the drinks are done." Yoongi said as he set them both on the counter in front of the boy.

"Sure, how much is it? And can I get one of the pastries inside there as well?" Jimin asked as he slid off the stool and gave his card to Yoongi to swipe.

"Your name's Jimin?" Yoongi asked, as he handed the card back to him.

"Yeah, and be sure to remember it since you're my first friend here in this ghost town after all."

"Ah, you're new?" Yoongi asked, no wonder he's never seen this boy's face around- even though he never paid much attention to people around him to begin with.

"Yeah, came here for college. Didn't think it would be so vast and empty but here I am." Jimin chuckled as he set the drinks and pastry on a table near the window.

"It's not too bad once you get used to it, been living here for my entire life. There are things worth seeing here." Yoongi said as he sat down across from Jimin, wrapping his fingers around the warm drink. He took a tentative sip to see if it was any good because he was always not sure if the drinks he made were ever worth selling but the countless smiles and compliments that his customers shower him with reassures that these drinks were worth every penny.

The drink in his mouth was hot and sweet and caused a stirring in his heart, it was exactly what he wanted to convey in the drink. The drink was tinted a slight red, almost like the blush that managed to stay on his cheeks ever since Jimin walked in.

And so the evening went on just like that, each absorbing in the other’s company. Their conversations were natural and there was never a pause of awkwardness, even when Yoongi stumbled over his words more than once. Yoongi learned that Jimin was going to the same university as him and it made his heart skip a beat faster, wondering if he would have any classes with the boy but he remembered that Jimin was older than him and was in a totally different major – which means that chances are small. Yoongi also learned that Jimin loved to dance, have been dancing ever since he was old enough to walk properly. Yoongi imagined a smaller Jimin, his chubby cheeks probably puffed out in frustration as he tried to follow the steps that his instructor taught him. Yoongi could see the passion in his eyes when he talked about it, the blaze that told the world that dancing was Jimin’s entire life.

A passion so important and deep that nothing could break him away from it, something that Yoongi needed to find. He wished that one day he would be able to find something that would set a blaze in his eyes when he talked about, something that he invested his entire life in—something that would change his life forever when he finds it. That evening ended with Jimin secretly sliding his number into Yoongi’s pocket and saying that he hoped to see the younger boy at school. Yoongi’s heart soared when Jimin flashed his beautiful smile at him before he left and as he closed down the shop for the night his mind reeled back to every little thing about Jimin. The way he laughed, the way his eyes turned to crescent moons when he laughed, the way his voice was melodic to Yoongi’s ears and everything else in between. Yoongi quickly cleaned up everything and switched the open sign off as he disposed of all the things in his apron’s pocket before locking up the doors and leaving. His entire being was still on cloud nine and he didn’t know how he managed how to sleep that night and how his face didn’t ache the next day from his constant smiling face.

Yoongi did see Jimin at school but from the energy that Jimin emitted to everyone around him it was easy for him to make friends in mere seconds, something that Yoongi never mastered; so he stood on the sidelines and watched as Jimin became one of the popular kids. It was hard for Yoongi to ever approach Jimin in school because he was never the kid to stand out nor the one to speak up, plus he was a year younger so it would seem even odder to approach the older boy.

Yoongi thought that he was never going to ever talk to Jimin ever again and slowly started to give up hope that there was going to be another day like the first day he met him. Yoongi sighed as he rested his head against a tree, his headphones streaming a soft melody as he tried to drown out the many students walking to and from class. He was a little hungry but since he was running late this morning he forgot to pack his lunch and on top of that he forgot his wallet, so now he had no way to relieve his hunger. The shifts at work had gotten more hectic as more college students discovered it so Yoongi was beyond exhausted and was mere seconds from dozing off to sleep until he felt someone plopped down next to him. Yoongi peeked open one eye to look at the brat that didn’t know personal space but instead of a brat he was faced with a smiley Jimin.

Yoongi’s heart sped up quickly and his stomach did somersaults as he opened both of his eyes and tried to speak before Jimin beat him to it, “Hey there, where have you been? I thought you lied to me when you told me you came here.”

“I—uh, I do go here. I just… haven’t been … around lately?” Yoongi stuttered as his tried to calm down his beating heart, hoping that Jimin wouldn’t be able to hear how loud it was.

“Oh no! Are you sick anywhere? I hope not.” Jimin said, concern etched in his eyes like he was genuinely worried about Yoongi.

“No, no. I’m fine, just a little tired from work that’s all.” Yoongi said and after a second his stomach grumbled embarrassingly, making a familiar blush appear on his skin.

“And apparently you’re hungry too.” Jimin chuckled, as he raised an eyebrow at Yoongi.

“Yeah, I was running late this morning so didn’t get to grab my wallet nor lunch.” Yoongi sighed as he rubbed his tummy.

“Do you want to go to lunch then?” Jimin asked as he started to get up and extending a hand to Yoongi.

“But I don-“ Yoongi started but Jimin cut him off.

 “I’ll pay for it, Yoongi. No worries.” Jimin said smiling as Yoongi squinted up at him, “Show me one of the places that’s worth eating at in this town.”

“S-s-sure.” Yoongi said as he tentatively put his hand on the older boy’s, Jimin’s hand were soft and were full of warmth; a contrast to Yoongi’s’ cold fingers. “We need to take the bus there though, if that’s okay.”

“That’s fine, I have my bus pass right here.” Jimin smiled, his eyes turning into crescent moons as he held it up between two fingers to display it.

Yoongi couldn’t help but giggle at his childishness but continued to walk towards the bus station with his backpack over his shoulders, they arrived to the benches and waited for a few minutes before a bus pulled up to take them to their destination.

Before Jimin could swipe his bus pass Yoongi had already beat him to it, “I got this one since you got lunch.” Jimin nodded and followed Yoongi to a seat that was near the back of the bus. They both sat down in the same seat and even though the seat was supposed to be meant for two people, there was definitely not enough room for two people. They sat side by side with their thighs touching, Yoongi could feel his face heat up as he tried to move further against the window so they wouldn’t be touching but Jimin just scooted over even more towards him.  Even though Yoongi was flustered he tried to not let it show as he continued to talk to Jimin, their conversations flowing from school to how they’ve been since the last time they’ve seen each other.

Yoongi let out a yawn mid-sentence and tried to rub his tiredness away but of course, that never worked for him. “Are you tired? If you are, just sleep a little. I’ll wake you up once we get there.” Jimin said with a smile, patting his shoulder for Yoongi to lay on. With his tiredness Yoongi didn’t even care that he automatically closed his eyes and laid on Jimin’s shoulder, it was warm and within minutes he was fast asleep.

Jimin looked down at him and brushed a strand of hair away as he stared at Yoongi’s face, all pure and angelic like and wondering if he had dropped enough hints that he thought Yoongi was cute. Jimin actually saw a glimpse of Yoongi through the coffee shop window once before the day he decided to come in and introduce himself. It was a little over a week since he’s moved to the new town and because he was just settling in he decided to take a walk around the town to see if he could find a place to study or a place to hangout.

He continued to walk until a certain brown haired boy caught his eye, the boy was currently taking out the trash and after he placed it into the garbage can he squinted up at the sun and stretched. The boy then closed his eyes for a minute and basked in the sunny weather, inhaling in the fresh air that gently blew around him. Jimin continued to watch him before someone inside the shop called the boy back in. Jimin felt a little disappointed that the boy went back into the shop but he knew that he had to acquaintance himself soon to the boy to be able to see his face again. So a week later he walked into the shop on one of the gloomiest and emptiest day and introduced himself. Although, Jimin was a little nervous he didn’t let any of it show. As they talked to each other Jimin noticed the constant blush on Yoongi’s face, which made him feel warm inside as well as feeling the fluttering of butterflies in his stomach.

With a gentle smile and a warm goodbye, Jimin knew that Yoongi was going to be someone different to him.