Concomitance

Miracles in January

KYUNGSOO'S POV

She sat in front of me as I was eating my snack. Surprisingly enough, it's not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be. I just shut my mouth while she stares at me fiercely. I couldn't figure out what to say to break the deafening silence. I slowly opened my mouth to ask her what happened but I kept in mind that she told me not to. Deep within me, I feel so worried that something horrible happened. 

"I'm sorry that you're upset. I do not know if talking or staying with me will help but know that I'm here for you." Wait, did those words just come out from my mouth? I'm getting confused as well. I suddenly remembered what his dad asked me to do, protect her. Protect her, Kyungsoo. 

"Yeah, I think that will help. If you're not doing anything later after dismissal, can you accompany me to the night market in front of Han river?" she replied. 

I was taken aback just like a breeze whistling down on my spine. I nonchalantly responded yes. We're going out - and this time, it's not a school-related date. 

School ended at 4PM. It means I have to go and pick her up. I patiently waited for her class to end. I stayed in front of 3-A's classroom and gave Aeyi a look. She sent me a signal to wait for her by stopping me and pointing at her watch. Since I'm nervous like I'm going to die, I roamed around the hallway slowly. 

"Hey, partner! Are you ready to go?" She tapped me while I was walking. I, being unaware, got surprised. 

"Umm, yeah, I guess so. Where are we going again?" I replied. "Here you go again with not paying attention to what I am saying," she said jokingly. "I called my dad and told him you're bringing me home so he doesn't need to pick me up," she continued. 

Yeah, right. I'll bring her home. Great. I may need to face Mr. and Mrs. Kim once more. 

"Let's go!" she shouted and grabbed my arm like how girls go to the restroom together. 

We arrived at the night market. Everything is so bright. You can see a variety of affairs happening all over the place - lights, street food, balloons, bubbles, and even sky lanterns. The place is a bit crowded so I have to stay close to her. She stopped in front of the pancake vendor and bought two pancakes. She handed one of those and asked me to eat it. 

Shortly after eating, the mimes caught her attention. She laughed heartily while watching them perform. She dropped some coins into the mimes' hats and quickly dragged me to the playground near the river. 

I asked her to wait for me while I get something for her. I got us chocolate ice cream so we can eat it while sitting down on the swing. It's like a cherry on top of your favorite dessert.

"I just wanted to unwind today. I originally wanted to watch the sky lanterns but I guess this rendezvous is more..fitting," she suddenly looked at me and smiled. 

"It's refreshing, right? New environment, new company," she asked. I practically felt flattered about the compliments she just said. I can finally say that she just wanted someone to talk to and I am glad that she picked me. 

"Yeah, I've been to Han river a couple of times but this is actually the first time I went with a girl," I timidly responded. 

"Just look at the stars above. The sky is filled with constellations. This is a brand new sight. We barely get to experience this kind of setup since pollution keeps blocking that exquisite sky. We're lucky it is cerulean in the morning," she vocalized while is stuffed with ice cream. 

"It's like heaven knows I needed this," she continued. I braved through her rants and asked, "What happened today? What infuriated you that you needed to ask me out?"

"Hey, I didn't ask you out. You're my partner. This is a professional relationship between us. Besides, you're supposed to follow me all the time," she defended herself. "In all honesty, I felt exasperated because of you."

"Wh-what? Me? Why? What did I do?" I'm trembling inside while waiting for her answer. 

"You know my school buddies Sohyun and Hyojin, right? I hang out with them a lot so it's impossible that you haven't even had a glimpse of those two." I kept reticent while listening to her. "They mocked you today for being my partner. They thought there's something going on between us. They said thing you do not even want to hear nor imagine. I felt really bad. I got upset. I mean, I'm the one who knows you personally, and I just thought it is ing unfair for them to say those things."

What I just heard blew me away like a thunderstorm hitting my home. I honestly didn't get offended by how they insulted me, rather, I was amazed by the fact that she went an extra mile to defend me on my behalf. I felt my heartbeat going faster again. 

I extended my gratitude by saying thank you. 

"I'm at a loss for words. Thank you but you didn't have to go through that trouble to take my side. Besides, whatever they said might even be true. I hope you'll be able to patch things up with them," I zealously responded. 

"Yeah, you're probably right. I need to settle my beef with my best friends; but I may need to disagree on one thing - no, what they said aren't true. You are by far the most genuine person I have ever met. You are just being true to yourself and there's nothing wrong with that. You are just embracing who you really are."

"Thank you again! If it's any consolation, I can get you another batch of ice cream if you want."

"No, thank you. I'm fine," she gave me a cheerful smile while I stare at her like a mad man. I couldn't be thankful enough. I may have saved my country in my past life to deserve all these. The last time I had this kind of feeling was when I was 7 -  a girl helped me out and cheered e on when I stumbled from riding my bicycle. She sang non stop until I finished crying while brushing her fingers through my hair. 

This feeling confuses me because I feel ecstatic and bilious at the same time. All I know is, Aeyi is a wonderful and reliable friend; she may be garrulous at times but she is breathtaking. I hope I can make it up to her if any opportunity arises. I'm looking forward to that day. 

She suddenly yelled, "Aaaaahhh, I really love this. Just breathing fresh air from the river. It's somehow less suffocating. I'm wondering how people who live near Han river appreciate effulgent place."

"Maybe we should transfer here. I'm slowly abhorring the hustle and bustle of the city. I mean, for once, I want to gaze at the skylight and not worry about my problems," she continued. 

I remained close-mouthed. I may look like a creep but my eyes are fixated on her. She's really luminous. It's really revitalizing to observe her and let her do whatever she wants to do. It's a new different light. 

"Hey, Aeyi! It's a bit late, do you feel any better now?" I asked her. "Oh goodness, I have to work on my Science thingy. Mr. Lee is going to kill me if I cannot present tomorrow." 

"Alright then, let's start walking okay?" I replied. 

We walked through the busy streets of Seoul and strode going home with our own two feet. She didn't want to take the bus that's why we had to walk. I saw her staring at the road blankly, I started wondering what she might be thinking of. 

"This feels familiar. I felt something like this before. It's so nostalgic. This reminds me of.." then she stopped talking in mid-sentence. I knew she was think of something else but I didn't want to ask. 

When we reached her place, she gave me a peck on the cheek and hugged me. "Thank you, Kyungsoo! You have no idea how much you made me happy today. It's like I found a new best friend in you. Thank you so much for allowing me to ruin your night for 5 hours. I hope we do this again."

Yes, I'm hyperventilating, figuratively. What was that? A peck and a hug? I shook my head and replied, "Yeah, no big deal. Feel better and have a good night sleep."

I feel like I'm riding a rollercoaster with what Aeyi is doing to me. She's making me feel like I've induced so much adrenaline. I don't want to confuse myself whether I'm romantically involved to her or it's just mere infatuation because of our proximity. It's too asive to me that my schema is having difficulties assimilating these events. 

Can somebody please save me?