Intersection

Miracles in January

(Kyungsoo's POV)

I'm on my way to the junior conference room to meet the other officers. I genuinely loathe this kind of feeling - this feeling of suffocation.

I held my bag tightly as I breathe deeply before I turn the doorknob. I see both familiar and new faces. I'm not particularly sure whether I've seen them somewhere or this is my first time seeing this.

Finally, I heard a familiar high-pitched voice. It was Kim Ae Yi. She's seated on the other end of the table. She has a cup on a coaster to her right hand side. She finally said, "welcome everyone!" I couldn't bear but to look around the room. I see the trophies we bagged during last year's Athlete's Victory. I finally grabbed a seat near edge of the table.

The new presidents of each class were busy talking to Ae Yi. They're discussing. They're yelling. This is definitely not my comfort zone. I'll just keep my mouth shut throughout the whole meeting - that would help; my sweetest escape from this madness.

I saw the other kids stand up, get their stuff, pat me on the back and leave the room. I wonder why everyone's leaving. Do I have to go? Do I stand up and leave? Isn't it disrespectful if I stand up and leave Ae Yi behind?

I bravely asked, "Do I have to go also? Can I leave?" Her expressions changed in an instant. She suddenly threw a vibe like the librarian giving you the killing gaze after you drop 5 books on the floor.

She didn't give me a chance to talk. I hear nothing but complain from her. She started talking and ranting about no one wants to work with her and that I might flake on her. It got me caught off-guard. I'm actually torn whether this woman is crazy, or she just talks a lot. It's weird but I find her armalite-like mouth cute. My classmates are usually talkative but this girl is out of this world. Man, how can someone release 50,000 words per minute? 

She suddenly stopped talking and picked up her phone. She received a call from her dad. I hear her asking her dad to pick her up from school.

"Yeah, I'm bringing someone with me. He's my new friend, Kyungsoo. Tell mom to buy us food. We're working on our batch's school events."

When I hear those words come out from , my heart skipped a beat. No, the beat of my heart became faster. No, slower. What? What! No! No. I couldn't bear talking to people for 15 minutes, and now I have to go to someone's house I just met? Well, technically, we've known each other for a long time but I can't go to her place. I felt like the ground is slowly opening and trying to swallow me down. 

This girl is so rigid that once she makes a decision, she's going to be firm about it. I wonder why I couldn't even decline to her invitation. It's not like I haven't done it for a long time but there's something about her that makes it interesting.

We wrapped the meeting up for a moment and she asked me to bring my things with me because I'm going with her. It's 5:30 in the afternoon. I'm sure I don't have to stay in her place for long.

We waited for her dad's car to arrive at the school's gate. Why do I feel so nervous? It's just a meeting. Wake up, Kyungsoo. You're not going to perform in front of a thousand people. Okay, breathe in, breathe out.

"Hey, they're here. Let's go!" Ae Yi said then she grabbed my arm when a black SUV pulled over in front of us. She opened the door and greeted her parents.

"Hi, mom and dad! This is Kyungsoo. He's my new partner in Junior Council. He'll be working with me throughout the year so you're going to see him a lot from now on," she said. I hopped in as I greet her parents as well. "Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Kim! I'm Do Kyungsoo of class 3-C."

It was a painful 30-minute long drive from our school to her house. The whole time I was inside the car, my hands are just tied together. Ae Yi sure talks a lot. She actually told her parents what happened to her entire day. Some of the stories were funny, some were just, the usual Kim Ae Yi.

We finally reached her house. I tried to help her mom carry the bags from the car but she refused. She told me that I'm a visitor so I shouldn't help them at all. Her dad gave me a pat on the back and told me it was nice of me to offer help.

"Give me 10 minutes, I'll go get changed first then we can resume to planning again. Go sit on the couch first and rest. Promise, I'll be really quick," she said.

I awkwardly waited for her to finish while her parents talk to me about stuff. I hope they do realize that I hate small talks. I just kept on nodding while her mom prepares for dinner and her dad helps with the dishes. What a beautiful sight.

"Mom, I'll kidnap Kyungsoo now. We have tons of things to do. Please call us if dinner is ready." Ae Yi called me up to her room. When I enter the room, everything is well-organized. She had her pens sorted out according to colors and her notebooks are labeled according to its purpose.

She pulled a swiveling chair and a mono block to her study table. She asked me to take a seat and she turned her computer on. She started discussing her agenda for the school year. While she was talking, everything was inaudible. I just stared at her while she was talking. I honestly couldn't hear what she was talking about. This is unusual. Why am I feeling like this?

"Do you understand, Kyungsoo? We'll start with it next week."

"Uh. Uh, yes. I understand." I completely have no idea what I just agreed upon but I'll just wing it. Dang it, here it goes again. The stuttering. I loathe the idea of me stuttering because it shows how nervous I am.

"Ae Yi, Kyungsoo! Dinner's ready. Let's eat," Mrs. Kim yelled from the dining table.

"Okay, it's done. Let's grab a bite first before I send you off. My mom makes the best food in town. She enjoys cooking as much as I love eating," Ae Yi laughed. I helped her fix her table before going down to the dining hall.

"I will eat well, thank you for the dinner," I told Mrs. Kim. I sat beside Ae Yi and I'm being very conscious with my actions. I made sure that I don't make sounds while eating and made sure that I finish everything she puts on my plate.

Once we're done eating, I immediately said my thanks to her parents. I looked for my bag and Ae Yi is ready to send me off. While we were on our way to their gate, her dad abruptly said, "Kyungsoo, hold up. I'll bring you home."

Her dad was kind enough to bring me home. Of course, I couldn't refuse because that would be very rude. I meekly said okay and waited for him to rev up the engine. Mr. Kim told Ae Yi that she should stay home since it's not a long drive anyway. I don't want her to bring me home.

Mr. Kim's parting words struck me like a lightning.

"You're the first guy Ae Yi has ever brought home. You're the first guy he has ever introduced to us. She has dated before but she never really brought them home nor told us stories about them or their relationship. She must like you a lot. I hope it's not too much to ask, but protect my daughter."

Yes, it startled me. A lot.

I never thought I would be the first guy to enter her home. I mean, not that I'm implying anything because, well, it was just a school work. It's not like we're dating or anything. Besides, the whole school, even the teachers rooted up for her and Park Chanyeol when they dated last year.

I lied down and gave it a long thought process. These questions are starting to annihilate my mind. How am I supposed to do that?

1. Why did my heart beat irregularly a while ago? 
2. How can I look at her that way? 
3. In what way can I protect her?

..because I want to.

I kept on thinking how intricate my whole year will be; and how peculiar it is that the moment I wondered what will surprise me this year - the fate answered Kim Ae Yi.