It Started with an Honest Mistake

Miracles in January

Do Kyung Soo is a typical high school boy. He struggles with every day’s hustle and bustle. He wakes up at 4:30 in the morning to prepare going to school, eats breakfast and walks approximately 3 kilometers going to school. His personality resembles a wallflower – he’s very introverted, shy, and awkward. He doesn’t usually greet people unless they greet him first. He wonders how boring another school year will pass, as nothing surprises him for two consecutive years.

 

On the other hand, there’s a girl named Kim Ae Yi. He is the complete opposite of Kyung Soo. She is a social butterfly. She’s from the cream of the crop. She aces her subjects and hailed as the most responsible student in school. She is well-known for being vocal about her thoughts and ideas; and she easily resolves conflicts within her circle being the class president. She is also known for being well-conversed as she uses that charm to go beyond what is expected from her.

 

THOSE TWO WERE NEVER INTRODUCED PROPERLY. They belong to the same batch but there was never an opportunity wherein these two will have to deal with one another. They both know each of them existed but none of them actually had the audacity to say hi first.

 

However, not it’s not possible that we get everything in the palm of our hands as the fate of these two changed like a turning table.

 

(Ae Yi’s POV)

“Mom, I’m leaving! It’s the first day of classes. I can’t be late. I have to greet the new kids.” I told my mom as I fix my hair in front of my mirror before putting my shoes on. “Okay, honey! Good luck, see you later.” mom said. Yes. I thought to myself. I can be early for school. I don’t really have to greet the new ones but I can meet with my friends to catch up what we did this summer. I’m so excited.

 

My dad is sending me to school so I have to hurry. He is not the most patient person in the world. “Ae Yi! Hurry up! I need to meet with my colleagues at 6:30. It’s not like you’re going to attend a party for taking too long to prep up,” he said. “Alright, dad! I’m coming.” I kissed my mom goodbye and opened the passenger seat with my infuriated dad inside the car. “Don’t be too grumpy, dad. I love you and you’re the only guy in my life,” I said with the brightest smile on my face. Being the only child has perks because they can never stay mad for too long. “Okay, baby! Forgiven. Off we go!” as he starts the engine and off to school we go.

 

We arrived in school at 6:00 in the morning. I bid my dad goodbye and told him I’ll have a coffee date with Hyo Jin and So Hyun after school so no need to pick me up. Sadly, I was one of the first people who arrived in school. Apparently, I arrived too early. Most of the kids are freshmen so I don’t know most of them. I didn’t even bother to say hi because, well, they do not know me.

 

A familiar face comes in light when I saw a guy wearing headphones while walking. He is so familiar but I can’t seem to remember his face. “I know this guy, I forgot what his name is. I have to remember. I know most of the kids from my batch.” I thought to myself, but no three-syllable name came up. I know he’s from class C. Well, I figured I might as well say hi since we belong to the same batch. And yeah, who doesn’t know me? I giggled a little.

 

“Hi! Good morning! Welcome back to school!” I muttered as he passes by the fence area of our entrance building. I didn’t hear any response from him. I was in mere shock because this is the first time someone actually didn’t recognize me. It’s like an insult to my reputation in school to be snubbed that way. I shrugged it off as I don’t want to ruin my day.

 

 

(Kyungsoo’s POV)

“Kyungsoo! Come on quickly, I prepared your favorite breakfast. I know you cannot skip breakfast when you see what I prepared for you” the voice of my mom resonates around the whole neighborhood. Oh damn. It’s cheese omelet with bacon. I must hurry. I cannot afford to miss this divine breakfast. I finished dressing up as I go down to the dining table. “Thanks, mom! You are definitely the best.” I gave her a short hug after I said grace before starting to devour on my cheese omelet.

 

I finished what my mom has prepared for me, placed my lunch inside my bag and went off to school. I usually leave home early because I don’t want to take the bus going to school. My dad is working at night so he usually passes out when he gets home and wakes up at 10 to send my younger sister to preschool. I walk everyday going back and forth to school because I want to save up for my art materials. I know I’m more than ready to go to school when I placed my headphones and turn my music up. I honestly thank my headphones for being an accessory to the crime of me shutting the world off.

 

My school is not far from our place so it’s really nice to walk every morning. I think that it’s more helpful because it allows me to skip working out and it’s good for your health. I nonchalantly pace up by the sidewalk seeing the elderly jog at 5 in the morning. It’s refreshing, to be honest. With more than half an hour of walking, I slowed down as I arrive in school. I am not your typical high school boy that greets everyone with a smile. People would always perceive me as ‘the emo’ guy of the class because I barely talk in class. However, I still do things normal high school boys do. I play computer games after class, I draw and I even meet with my very few friends outside school.

 

As I enter the school gate, I smell something familiar. I know this smell because the owner of this scent usually goes around the hallway to talk to the girls in my class. Okay, three words – Kim Ae Yi. I have to walk past her because she’ll go around greeting everybody and I cannot deal with small talks. Okay, she probably wouldn’t talk to me because I am not popular like the ones she dated before.

 

“Hi! Good morning! Welcome back to school!” she said cheerfully. I heard it. She talked to me. I shook it off and didn’t even mutter a word because this is the first time she has ever talked to me. I was afraid that she’d follow me so I paced up a bit. Why does this feel weird? Why do I have to avoid her? Should I say hi back? This is so uncomfortable.