What We Came to Be

What We Came to Be

He didn't come home until late in the evening and by then I had already cleaned the house and packed my belongings. I had decided that it was time to end this parade.

"What are you doing?" he asked as he stared at the luggage by the doorway. He did not take off his shoes as he stared at my belongings. The atmosphere was heavy, I tried to smile, "I'm moving out." He didn't respond, which hurt. I mean, I was not expecting him to hold me back, but at the same time, a response would have been nice. "I think that we should break up." 

"Was it because of our fight this morning? Because if it was we can work it out, we always do," he said as he exhaled loudly running his right fingers through his hair.

"No, it's not about the fight."

"Then what's the reason? You can't just pack your bags and break up with me without a reason." I didn't respond, I honestly thought that he would understand the situation that we were in, "Don't tell me you found another man." His tone was flat and sharp.

"No, it's not because I found another man. It's because you found another woman." I spat out, I had not expected my reponse to be so sharp, even hateful, His eyes widened, I could see guilt wash over his face, "It's okay Jaejoong, honesty I understand... It's been two years since I've understood where our relationship was going. You've validated what I have been feeling for a long time.. We need to move on, there is nothing for us."

Jaejoong's face softened and he let out a humorless laugh, "I guess... you're right. Our relationship was not working out, you were unhappy and so was I. I'm sorry."

"That's alright," I said trying to avoid his gaze. I could feel his eyes on me, I looked up to face him, his gentle eyes stared into mine, a first in a while, "I hope you're going to be happy with her. It looks as though she makes you happy."

"You've always been simple and straightforward, Jihyo. I'm sorry that I.."

"No, don't-- it was me that dragged this relationship on, I know you couldn't do it. I have always depended on you and I know you felt the need to protect me and stay with me. I know you didn't intentionally mean to hurt me. We just didn't work out." 

"I don't regret the years I've been with you, you know that right? You'll always be my first love," his hand lifted my chin up so that my eyes met his- I hadn't realize that I had looked down, away from him again. His dark eyes bore into mine, he was apologetic and sincere.

I nodded, "Thank you, Jaejoong." 

"I hope we can remain friends?"

"I---.... yes...sure," his cold hands moved away from my chin down to his side. I made a move to the door but before I passed him he pulled me into a hug. Hesitant, I hugged him back. One more time. We fit perfectly together. I felt a pang in my heart. I loved him, I loved him a lot. But as they say, if you love someone truly.. you need to learn to let go. "I'm sorry," he whispered as he moved away from me, I smiled a tight smile trying to hold in my tears. Her perfume... I thought it wouldn't hurt... I had ran this scenario in my head for the past two weeks, I anticipated this sad farewell.  But I didn't know it would hurt this much, it felt as though a thousand knives were cutting into my heart, slashing and shredding it into small pieces. I didn't know that letting go of him would make me feel this way. I took a step to the side and walked quickly out the door pulling my luggage behind me. Sohyun would be waiting downstairs for me and Yoonji would be waiting at home for me, I would have to act as though the decision I made of letting Jaejoong go was the correct decision and that I had no regrets. The elevator took a long time to arrive, once it did I quickly hopped on and pressed the basement button. It would take seven minutes for the elevator descend from the 21st floor to the basement parking. From the time the elevator door descended to where it stopped at the bottom, I allowed myself to cry.