What We Came to Be

What We Came to Be

Jaejoong stared at me with his big doe eyes and spoke softly, "Let's just call it a truce, okay? We've been fighting all day-- we used to never be like this."

It was true. We never used to be like this, but in the last two years... we came to be like this...

I turned away from him, unable to meet his eyes. He was lying again, about her.

I nodded silently, "Yes, lets call it a truce." I walked slowly towards our bedroom, "Where are you going?" I ignored him, closing the door behind me once I entered. I could hear him sigh loudly on the other side, "This isn't going to work," he whispered.

Our bedroom was simple. A king sized bed with white linen sheets, on each side of the bed was a bedside table with elegant lamps and numerous pictures of the two of us. Other then those carefully choosen items there was nothing. I walked towards the window, from top to bottom was glass which allowed the natural light to spill into the room. The room was simple, like us, like our love. 

We both had fallen in love with each other at a very young age, inseparable for the first two years of our relationship but now nearing our seventh anniversary, everything was slowly falling apart. Majority of the reason was because of me, I had not changed as time passed. I was the same girl that he had met in high school.

People would describe me as friendly, shy, or quiet- all the traits that characterized a wallflower. Jaejoong was different. Although he seemed unapproachable he was nice, funny, outgoing, atheletic and handsome... no...actually more than handsome, he was beautiful. But he never liked being called beautiful (according to him, it made him sound feminine) he preferred to be called 'handsome' or 'plain good looking.'

The school opening ceremony was the first time I saw him, I was a freshman and he was a sophomore. I think I was the first one to notice him before he noticed me. He was radiating when he walked from the front to the back of the gym, he had an aura that separated him from the rest of the boys. He was tall with jet black hair, his bangs slightly covering his dark brown eyes, his skin whiter than any girl and his lips crimson red. He was like a manhwa character... so impossibly perfect. The girls all swooned over him and somehow from all the girls that confessed and devouted their time to make him fall in love with them, he chose me. I didn't know why he chose me, he said that it was because I was simple and compared to the other girls I wasn't confusing and self-absorbed. Ironically, maybe it was my simplicity that resulted in our deteriorating relationship, this trait of mine that brought us together and drove us apart... How funny-- ironic. 

I found out about the affair three weeks ago, the encounter was pretty embarrassing actually. I was going shopping with one of my close girlfriends when I spotted his familiar back from the crowd, he was holding another girl's hands and from afar I could still hear his melody-like voice make a joke. They laughed, they kissed. I stared.I stood still in the middle of the street as they slowly disappeared. Yoonji noticed and stared straight catching a glimpse of the two before they completely disappeared into the sea of people. I didn't cry. I didn't go after them. I just felt embarrassed. I looked at my friend and she looked at me with anger in her eyes, I grabbed her hand before she could go after them, "It's okay," I had said, "Let them go." 

"You're not angry?" Disbelief was evident in her voice, "Why are you not angry?"

"Let's go, forget about it. It wasn't him." The crowd began to thicken and the sweet smell of freshly backed biscuits and cakes smelled like burned, rotten food. 

I never told him that I had seen him with someone else, I didn't want to see hes lovely face ashen and guilty. I didn't want him to feel sorry for what he did. I already knew this was going to happen, I saw it coming. Like I had said before, we were too young when we fell in love and young love slowly idles and dies. We gave each other everything we had.

Jaejoong needs and wants something new... he wants more.  But I can't provide what he desires and wants, I can only give him what he already has. I think it is time for us to let one another go, I haven't known anything but his love and he hasn't known anything but mine. We need to explore and experience more, we need someone new. Someone who could make us feel what we felt years ago-- what we miss, the feeling of excitement and anticipation. Rather then the feeling of boredom and resentment. I had to let him go.