Ch. 1

Kim Sooyeon

It was just like any other day when you got home, no one was home beside the ahjumma who worked for your family. In your big luxurious house where you had anything other kids wanted, you had always felt so lonely. You were the only child and both of your parents worked, you barely had conversations with them. They went to work before you woke up and got home after you fell asleep. On weekends they usually had free times but they would use it to rest and you, being the good daughter you were, didn’t want to disturb them because you knew how tired they were. But every Sunday your mother would take you to the spa.

“Ahjumma, can you make 3 glass of drink? Just anything. My friends are here.”

“Annyeonghaseyo!” the ahjumma greeted your friends and they greeted her back before following you go upstairs to your room. It wasn’t your first time bringing friends to your house, you had always been so alone and to avoid depression of being alone for too long period of time you invited your friends to your house.

“Have you heard about the new guy?” either you and your friends were just normal teenage girls, gossiping about some hot guys right after the three of you got comfort on your spot.

“There’s a new guy!?!” Soomi shouted as soon as Bora started the discussion.

“There’s a hot guy enrolling into our school!” Soomi emphasized the hot word.

“Oh my God!!! I can’t wait to see him!!” Bora squealed.

“Hey, are you into this?” Soomi shook her hand in front of your face and your eyes, which were starring at the floor, turned to Soomi’s face.

“Yes, of course.”

“You don’t look okay, something bothers you these days?”

“No, I’m fine. So tell me about the new hot—“

“I’m not gonna tell anything until you say,” Soomi cut your sentence off.

“It’s just... you know I zone out quite often.”

“No, this one’s different! I’ve been watching you the whole day and you zone out a little too much today!”

“Nah, I don’t think I should say this.”

“Hey, we’re friends, in case you forget! I’m Soomi and this is Bora, we slept under the same blanket last Saturday and—“

“IS THIS THE BOY YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT!?!!” Bora screamed as she showed Soomi a pic of a guy in her phone and both girls were back to the fangirling mode. They squealed as they stalked his socmed account and their hands were squeezing anything around them just to express their enthusiasm.

You looked down for a sec and went out of the room, “Ahjumma, are the juices ready?”

The next day Soomi and Bora was dragging you to the canteen at lunch although you had said you didn’t want to have anything for lunch, you had too much breakfast. The moment you reached canteen with your friends, you got why they forced you to go to the canteen. They wanted to watch the new hot guy together with you.

“Which one?” you asked, right after the three of you landed your butts on the chairs.

“Now you got why!” Bora grinned.

“Aww~ all the hot guys are sitting together! It’s a great opportunity for us because we can see all of them at once!” Soomi squeezed her own palm.

You followed their eyesight and found the top three guys in school with the new guy from your class. “Oh? That new guy is in the same class as me. Is he the one you’re talking about?”

“Take your finger!!” Bora pulled your hand because you pointed at the guy.

“Did you say you two are in the same class?” Soomi shot you an intimidating look.

“Yes, he sat just right behind me.” You cluelessly said.

“Why didn’t you tell us you have another hot guy in your class!!!!” both yelled in front of your face and you pulled your neck a bit to prevent them from eating your nose.

“I thought you said the new guy is hot?”

“He’s so damn hot, can’t you see?!!!” Bora was trying really hard not to eat you.

“Ah, really? I don’t really pay attention these days.” And your own words reminded you of the thing that kept bothering you recently. The next fangirling squeals from your friends were inaudible as you were lost in your thought again.

Your parents weren’t in good relationship since 2 days ago when you were diagnosed to suffer arrhythmia. You weren’t in the bad stage but just the thought of you suffering it made your parents blame each other for not taking a better care of you. They fought as soon as they reached home from work which was late at night. The sound of them fighting woke you up and involuntarily you heard them. But no matter how they blamed each other for not paying enough attention on you, none of them pushed their schedule aside and tried to have some time with you. Although you mother spent Sundays with you, there was no much conversation and most of the time you really had no conversation. No one talked on spa and in the car you put your earphone and listened to music or fell asleep.

Arrhythmia is the condition when you have abnormal heart rhythm, it could be slower or faster, or even in irregular pattern. There’s some types of arrhythmia and the one you were suffering was atrial fibrillation which can cause and heart failure. Since you had been living a healthy life and you didn’t smoke neither did you drink alcohol, the biggest possibility why you suffered atrial fibrillation (AF) was because of stress.

You were in the class when you felt a chest pain and dizzy. You couldn’t focus on the class and fortunately the teacher left after 15 minutes of talking about something you couldn’t get in front of the class. When you felt like collapsing, you rested your head on the desk. Your heart was beating fast and it became hard to breath.