Chapter 17- Yeon Hee the baozi

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yeon Hee felt so hot when she woke up completely covered in the fortress she had built with her blankets and duvets before pressing her cheeks which were burning, practically bursting in flames at the moment.  Omo, omo, omo, Yeon Hee what the hell?!

„ Where is Lara Croft the tomb raider when you ing need her?“ She hissed in her weak voice, trying to dig her way out of the suffocating cacoon she had built for herself. She finally managed to see the light in the distance and she pushed her head out, blinking at the sudden light in the room. Ahjumma must have opened the window while Yeon Hee was sleeping. She removed her tangled hair from her face and barely managed to take a breath with her clogged up nose, still with that same burning feeling in her face. What was that dream, Jesus Christ? She needs to back off the medication, asap. She sneezed before turning to her night stand, picking up the role of toilet paper which was placed there. After God knows how many days od dying, it could have been two- it could have been a month and days of constant running nose and sneezing she just gave up on the napkins and started using  toilet paper instead. She coughed and wiped her nose, looking at her room with a deep frown on her face. Her room was like a graveyard of all of those fallen napkins, a dungeon where she was kept prisoner by her sickness. She coughed again and pressed the sides of her head while the images of her dream returned, making her bury her face in the duvet in embarrassment. It started off as such a nice dream, though. There she was, on a sandy beach chilling with Lee Min Ho, courtesy of her rewatching City Hunter the night before, surrounded by cocktails and sun, enjoying herself immensely. She turned to grab the sun lotion from the ground and when she turned back around she saw golden skin, pecks and shoulders to drool for and that cursed six pack that would make a nun have dirty thoughts. She remembered his damn lips widening into that stupid smile and his brown hair casually rustled like he had just got out of bed. Obviously......that wasn't Lee Min Ho anymore. She banged her head on the bed, causing herself a throbbing headache. What the was in that cough medicine last night? Nope, she refuses to acknowledge anything in that dream, she must have had some very high fever while she slept.

She barely managed to lay down again, burying her face into the covers, feeling completely drained, like a zombie and definitely looking like one, even though she avoided looking at herself in the mirror for the last couple of days. But unlike the other times when she looked horrible, this time she had a very good excuse. She started getting sick that day when she was standing in the rain waiting for him to get released and everything she had gone through on Friday just made it worse so she returned home with a light headache which later turned to a wicked cold, accompanied with a high fever, running nose and coughing. Like she was in a good mood to start with. She groaned again while covering her head with her hands, remembering that embarrassing conversation she had with him on the rooftop. She told him that, oh holy , she told him what happened in the elevator. She never told anybody that and she told him? Was she stupid? She rolled out of bed on the floor, still being sheltered in her blankets, still burning from the embarrassment and the fever, reliving that conversation again. Her heart shuddered a little bit in her chest when she remembered his words. His story was even worse than hers. For once he was right, they were both totally screwed up. All of a sudden she remembered that stupid smile he beamed at her while he held her hand to his stupid cheek making her stupidly blush. She ing blushed! Moon Yeon Hee doesn't blush, oh my God, that was so embarrassing and he saw it. He ing saw it. There was no excuse for such a thing. Maybe if she rolls under her bed and never gets up again, she won't ever have to see him again and think about her acting like a moron. It looked cosy and she had wi fi. It was heaven on Earth.  She was still thinking about that enticing prospect when she heard her stomach grumble. 

Oh hell, now she was hungry. She sneezed again and got up from the floor still feeling hot, still feeling ashamed and looking as red as a tomato. She had always been super crazy when she got sick ever since she was a little girl. For the last couple of days she had vivid dreams, she was whining, arguing with ahjumma when she tried to clean her room, coughing her lungs out all the time, having throbbing headaches and not to mention she was constantly reliving  that embarrassment on Friday. Yeon Hee dragged her blanket with her to the living  room, feeling like a superhero with a cape. Like Batman. Or Blade. But she actually looked like a homeless woman and she needed no mirror to confirm that. She sighed while stumbling out of her room, carrying the role of the toilet paper and dragging the blanket before stopping abruptly to see ahjumma washing the floor in the living room. Ahjumma glanced up at her and frowned in disapproval before pointing the mop at her.

„ You should be in bed, girl.“ Yeon Hee pouted at her, making a whining sound when she responded.

„ But I am bored. And hungry.“ Ahjumma shook her head in annoyance before walking over to the kitchen where she had obviously been cooking something.

„ You will eat some porridge and return to bed, OK?“ Yeon Hee wobbled down on the floor before covering her head with the blanket, pouting like a small child.

„ I don't want porridge. I want ice cream.“ Ahjumma scoffed at her in incredulity before turning to take out a bowl from the cupboard, carrying it to the table.

„ Over my dead body. You will eat your porridge and go back to bed.“

„ But ahjummaaaaaaa.....“ Yeon Hee knew she was being irritating as hell and way too whiny but she was rarely sick and when it hit her, it hit her hard. Like really hard. She was acting like a small child, using aegyo- which she didn't use since the last time she was sick three years ago. Yeon Hee's sick aegyo. There should be legends about it.

„ Girl, get your off that floor and eat before I measure your temperature. If you don't get better soon, you won't go to school the whole week.“ Yeon Hee widened her eyes in shock remembering that she was supposed to be in school at the moment.

„ Omo! School! I have to go!“ She tried to get up before stumbling over the blanket, barely able to grab the sofa so not to fall down. Ahjumma rolled her eyes while putting a cup of tea on the table before returning to stir the porridge on the stove, commenting in a snarky tone of voice.

„ I would pay to see that.“ Yeon Hee shook her head and frowned when she did, feeling the headache growing stronger. God, that was the worst decision ever.

„ You don't understand! I have to go today.“ She suddenly stopped and scratched her hair, looking up at ahjumma with a confused expression on her face.

„ What day is it again?“ Ahjumma scoffed before turning off the stove and glancing back at her.

„ It's Monday and it's already noon. Even if you didn't look like you were run over by a truck..... there is no way you were going to school.“ Yeon Hee bit her lips before sneezing violently, her chest tightening at this new found information. It was Monday already? Jesus she was in a worse shape than she thought. But she needed to go to school!  Who knows what that jerk is doing at the school while she doesn't have her eye on him? Who knows if he is even honouring their truce? Her friends. Her poor locker. Oh God, what kind of horrible deeds is that dirty jerk doing to them? She barely took a step from the sofa before stumbling again, this time ending on the floor making blanket angels when she saw stars twinkling in front of her eyes, the fall causing her another violent cough attack. Not going anywhere ever again, it seems.

„ Jesus! Am I dead?“ Ahjumma barely reacted while cleaning up the stove before glancing at her.

„ Not yet. While you are down there you could finish cleaning the floor though.“ Yeon Hee covered her face with her palms and whined at ahjumma.

„ You are so cruel to me ahjumma.“ Ahjumma smiled slightly as she carried the porridge to the table.

„ You have to be the worst sick person in the world.“

„ I am absolutely delightful, I have no idea what you're talking about.“ Yeon Hee responded rolling herself into the blankets, covering herself completely.

„ It seems you had some interesting dreams this morning Yeon Hee-ah.“ Ahjumma said innocently while putting a couple of glasses she had just rinsed in the dishwasher. Yeon Hee stiffened in the darkness of her blankets and bit her lip in return. Oh God, what did she say?This sickness is making her even crazier than usual. It could be anything. Literally anything.

„ Ahm, I don't really remember, I drank a lot of medicine yesterday.“ Yeah, she did. Way, way too much obviously.

„ Oh, that is really sad. They seemed like they were amazing dreams. I distinctly remember going in to check up on you and you saying something about sun and feeling hot. There was one more thing, what was it...Oh, I remember. You said something about abs. Actually it was „godlike abs“ if I remember correctly.“ Yeon Hee snuggled her head further in the blanket, knowing her cheeks were getting even more red now. She was talking about his abs in her sleep? Oh, God, Earth open up and swallow her right at this very spot. She is not acknowledging that. EVER.There were no abs in her sleep, it was just Lee Min Ho and sun lotion. Not that Lee Min Ho doesn't have abs but the douchebag has.....NO, NO, NO,NO, Yeon Hee snap out of it! No abs! No pecks! No shoulders! Stop it, you crazy ert! She finally coughed and talked through the blanket trying to sound as innocent as possible.

„ Oh? I don't remember that at all but it must have been that actor from the drama I watched yesterday.“

„ Whatever it was, it sure sounded fun.“  Ahjumma said, sounding amused for a moment before she approached Yeon Hee and continued speaking in an annoyed tone of voice.

„ Yah, Yeon Hee-ah are you trying to turn yourself into a baozi on the floor there?“ Yeon Hee wiggled a little in her blankets before responding in a playful tone.

„ Yeon Hee the baozi. That reminds me, can we order some Chinese?“

„ No.“ Ahjumma shot her down coldly before sighing loudly, patting her legs covered in a blanket in a gentle manner, her voice being calm when she spoke again.

„ You've been acting strangely lately, Yeon Hee. Your father agrees with me on this. You've been running around, coming home late, being stressed out, not eating healthy and now even getting sick.There is something you are not telling us.“ Yeon Hee took a deep breath before moving the blanket away from her face so she could look at ahjumma with an innocent expression on her face.

„ Nothing is going on, ahjumma. Why would I lie to you?“ Ahjumma rolled her eyes at her, not looking convinced before she pulled her up by her hand. She then led her to the table where Yeon Hee sat, still covered in her blanket, frowning at the bowl of porridge in front of her. Oh God, not this again. She would kill for a chocolate bar right now. She would kill for chocolate sprinkles. She would kill just so she can smell chocolate. Or anything else for that matter. She couldn't sense smell for three days straight. Oh those glorious days when she didn't have a clogged up nose. The memories of those happy times.

„ Eat this and then we will see what's the situation with your temperature, OK?" Yeon Hee took the spoon, still with that disgusted frown on her face when she spoke in her cracked voice.

„ If I get better, can I go to school tomorrow?“ Ahjumma grabbed herself a cup and poured some tea before she turned to her, her eyebrows raised in a questioning expression.

„ What is so important in that school you want to go there so badly? A person would think you would jump at the opportunity to lay down and do nothing.“ Yeon Hee shrugged her shoulders while digging the spoon into the pooridge, acting innocent again for a moment. Then she proceeded to put her hand on her chest like she was pledging for president, her voice being both dramatic and proud.

„ Education is priceless ahjumma and I have always taken it seriously. After all, I am Moon Yeon Hee.“ Ahjumma's snarky response was interrupted when her cellphone rang loudly and Yeon Hee raised her eyebrows in return, blowing at the spoon of porridge to cool it off. Ahjumma never talked on the phone during work, causing Yeon Hee to call her a secret spy from North Korea a couple of years back. After that she was forced to eat algaes for a week and all of her ice cream disappeareed without a trace. Ahjumma didn't take crap from anybody. Ahjumma to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter