Familiar Faces

Groomsmen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Finally freed from her recent wine red, one shoulder midi dress attire, Hyemi goes back to her comfortable couch wearing a pair of sweatpants and one of Namjoon’s comfy university hoodie (he was about to throw it away, fyi), switching the TV channels mindlessly as she replies to Namjoon’s texts.

            3:04 Namjoonie Just got home. Don’t miss me too much, princess ;)

            3:05 Hey-Hyemi Hmm, what to do? I already miss you like crazy.

Hyemi replies half-jokingly (because she’d actually love to spend more time with him).

She then tosses her phone aside, attempting to pay the TV more attention and basically ignore the loneliness, crawling slowly toward her. Just what would she do without her Namjoon?

Suddenly (and also quite fatefully), she stopped by a channel that was broadcasting a wedding themed program. She would’ve brushed it off any other day, but there was something about it that made her stop switching the channels and devote her entire self to focus.

5 minutes into the show and Hyemi swears she’s turning into one of those marriage obsessed grandmas, as her shallow mind begin to take in the hustle and bustle of planning a wedding, the process of finding the perfect gown, along with the beauty of witnessing people transform into a pair of destined, made for one another –bride and groom.

 

Seeing those beautiful wedding gowns in this new perspective of hers does make her insides turn into a mushy, buttery (?) bowl of warm emotions. She even emits girly sounds like ‘aww’ and ‘ooh’ and she wonders if she came with those kind of voices in the first place.

Out of the blue, she just has the urge to tell the bride-to-be on her TV to quickly pick another dress because why can’t she see that those hideous ruffles won’t do her good?

Hyemi’s actual mind seems to have left the building a while ago.

Jung Hyemi, in her 25 years of age, never once did she take the initiative to advise her best friends about what to wear, nor did she gush about the latest fashion trends with them –simply because her closest friends were ALL males.

And this kind of feeling she is experiencing right now? Exactly where did it come from?

 

Her mind wanders and does things she clearly doesn’t approve of. Like daydreaming.

Like being the one at the gown fitting instead of that girl she sees on TV.

Accompanied by her ever so perfectionist parents, the nosy and noisy grandma Jung, and probably some of her loud cousins. They would be making fun of her lame fashion sense, they would be fighting over train or no train, white or off white; and afterwards settling for the perfect one for the perfect occasion.

Like writing down her guests’ seating arrangements.

How many guests would be there? Who should sit with whom?

Like tasting bites of extravagant cakes and deciding how many tiers is her cake going to be.

Namjoon and her loves chocolate. But isn’t red velvet the most happening cake nowadays? How does she want herself and Namjoon to be represented in a cake? Who’s going to bake the cake anyway, should she start calling Cake Alchemy or Baltimore Cakes?

Like crossing the calendar excitedly as the wedding date nears and so on and so on -and Hyemi gets a bit creeped out by her own, too elaborated imaginations.

 

Hyemi recalls what she envisioned as a little girl.

Pink roses, soft pink wedding gown with ruffles and accented at the hip with a sweetheart neckline, pink petals of roses pinned to her braided updo, pink carpets, pink attires, pink –everything.

But she’s all grown up now and some things ought to change.

She’d like everything to be a bit more elegant and refined, simple yet breathtaking –wait, did a jolt of excitement just come to her? The almost robotic, unemotional Jung Hyemi?

Why does she suddenly feel like she can’t wait?

It’s almost like she could see herself walking down the aisle, hand in hand with her father, with her families and relatives’ eyes on herself that is dressed to perfection, illuminating the room with her presence as an enchanting love song plays at the background, with flower petals scattered below her to intensify each and every step she takes towards a new stage of her life.

She can see herself smiling and being happy in general, radiating with pure happiness from every cell that makes her.

 

But she soon snaps out of her reverie when the view begins to zoom into the groom standing on the altar, displaying the groom’s straight back and his messy chocolate locks, his head tilting ever so slightly she could almost see the wide grin etched on his face.

 

A girl would certainly picture her dream wedding at least once in her lifetime, right?

And if you’re in love, you’d easily see yourself with your loved one standing on the altar, right?

So what’s wrong?

Why does the groom’s back not look like Namjoon’s? Why is the hair not blonde like Namjoon’s at the moment and could someone tell Hyemi why in the world would her heart start screaming an entirely different name?

I’m out of my mind, she figures.

Namjoon is the epitome of perfection, someone tailored to her needs and preferences, someone she dearly believes she was meant to spend her whole lifetime with.

He has so much things in common with Hyemi. He comes from a happy, wealthy and respectable family. He is smart and he keeps up with Hyemi’s jokes. He is very mature, responsible, caring, and is anything one could’ve ever asked in a future husband.

Even any stranger would’ve thought he was Hyemi’s husband already if not for the absence of a certain ring.

He does all the things even Meghan Trainor couldn’t think of.

Hyemi shivers.

Since when did she care about marriage anyway?

Damn you, TV shows.

Some weeks after her grandma’s birthday party though, Hyemi proved once again that she indeed has a slight sixth sense.

She kind of saw it coming, but was definitely not even near ready when finally Namjoon decided to take her to the place where they first met –and he fearlessly proposed. Kim the great Namjoon ing proposed! To the lousy, lazy and awkward nerd that is Jung Hyemi.

Apparently, he had asked for her family’s blessings a long, long time ago (though it’s sort of obvious he really didn’t have to do much).

Hyemi did froze at first though, thinking that damn, things are about to get real, as she looked at Namjoon’s sincere eyes before her. There they are, the honest, loving glint in his eyes that makes even this nerd gets emotional…

The way he looks at her like she was his only treasure in this whole wide world…

Doubt and fear clouded her mind inevitably.

Is this the right choice to make? Is this the right time?

But then Hyemi could picture the happy and proud smiles of her parents, so she nodded wordlessly –all words fail her as she couldn’t contain her exploding feelings. Namjoon took it as a yes, a grin plastered on his face ridiculously as it lights up with joy.

Namjoon then fished a red velvet colored box from his coat like a scene ripped straight out of a romantic movie only to reveal the most beautiful diamond crusted ring Hyemi could ever imagine, causing tears of utter disbelief gathering on the corners of her eyes, seeing everything her younger self have ever dreamed of, the perfect prince at the right time –comes true.

He grinned sheepishly before slipping it on her finger, leaving her breathless as he picked her up from her waist and spun her around cheerfully before the two kissed under the sparkling stars. Lips locked, hearts connected and souls set alight by their love –and yes, Hyemi isn’t exaggerating.

“Hyemi,” he pulled back, taking a deep breath before continuing to amaze her with his words, “I at being the romantic prince you always wanted but thank you for saying yes. You literally just made me the happiest man alive.”

If this was a dream, Hyemi wouldn’t want to ever wake up.

“You know you’re romantic enough, yet you still need my confirmation?” she scoffed, to which Namjoon laughed wholehearte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter