The Curse

The Curse

Chills were felt down the spine by the lone girl, standing on the sea of maple leaves. She looked intensely at the abandoned mansion enclosed within a majestic gate, closed shut as though it shuts itself from curious adventurers. 

"Are you sure about this, Hikaru? I don't feel good about this," she said with a trembling voice to the guy who appeared most confident. 

"stop being a scaredy cat. anyway, no one is forcing you to join in. you can leave if you don't have the guts" Hikaru remarked irritably, and the pale girl quickly affirmed her involvement. He smirked and resumed with his carving of words on the stone wall, "BEWARE~"

A slightly shorter guy walked towards the fearful girl and said in a comforting voice "don't force yourself, Suzuka-chan. we can update you if there's anything interesting then we can arrange to come again."

"Ryosuke, don't bother about her. she's always the troublesome one" Hikaru interrupted. Ryosuke saw hiding her disappointed expression as she replied "it's okay, Ryosuke. I'll challenge myself."

"if you say so. we'll be around so don't worry," Ryosuke gave her a soft pat before the approaching voices that ended the dilemma.

"Suzuka is preparing to back out again isn't it?" Haruna hollered while her hands clinged onto Yuya. "only Ryosuke has the patience for your useless character. be thankful."

"Chotto, Umika-chan!" Suzuka's eyes lighted up when she saw her best friend trailing behind. 

"HEH?!!!!!" all of them were in shock when they saw Umika, but there's one she's particularly afraid of.

"Oi!!! why are you here?!!!" Hikaru was in a rage when he saw his one-year younger sister approaching with Haruna and Yuya.

"Haruna-chan invited me. so I came." she boldly replied, shrugging his brother's rude reaction away and greeted the rest. 

"hi. it's really a surprise to see you here, Umika-chan" Ryosuke gave a sweet smile that left her blushing. Haruna nudged her out of her daze. 

"ah. I thought it'll be fun."

"it wouldn't be fun with you here" Hikaru grumbled. Umika gave him a slap on his back, displaying her annoyance with his unruly behaviour. 

"the two of them are always bickering..." the smallest guy popped out behind Ryosuke and said with a chuckle.

"sou. it's cute the way they interact. makes me wanna have a younger sibling" Ryosuke commented.

"well, we're almost like siblings, ne Ryosuke" the petite one replied while leaning his arms around the taller one

"ne, Chinen!" Ryosuke laughed. "i guess we all here? so there's me, Chinen, Haruna, Yuya, Suzuka, Hikaru and Umika. that makes 7 of us"

"well, thanks to Umika, we're now stuck with an unlucky number 7. misfortunate events will hit the 7th person" Hikaru teased.

"ne?" Suzuka reacted nervously. 

"stop it Niichan! Suzuka, he's just fooling around as always. come, we'll walk together," Umika hold onto Suzuka as they walked towards the grand gate.

"we need to climb over," Chinen instructed, "the gate won't budge"

"but... but I'm wearing a skirt" Suzuka said.

"goodness, we already said it was an adventure trail, not a date!!! you can impress Ryosuke another day," Haruna was extremely annoyed, rolling her eyes and disregarded everyone else, then jumped over the fence with the help of Yuya.

She was literally ashamed and embarrassed by the revelation of her motive for braving to this occasion. yes, Haruna was right in every sense that she's here so that she could spend time with the guy of her dreams. she could have better spent her time shopping or napping on a weekend evening, if it wasn't because Ryosuke is here. She dared not raise her head and face Ryosuke although she knew that everyone there already know she has a major crush on him. 

"Don't mind Haruna. she always speak that way. your dressing today is really pretty," Ryosuke praised.

"you really think so?" Suzuka forgotten to contain her excitement that she sprung up in happiness when she heard his response. Ryosuke nodded earnestly, but that wasn't the best part.

"come on, I'll piggyback you over. that way you won't ruin your clothes," he didnt wait for her to react, knowing she will hesitate a long time. He rolled his sleeves then pulled her onto his back, carrying her without much effort. He has been working out, apparent from his toned muscles on his forearms and his defined chest revealed from the v-cut white tee beneath a black biker jacket. Umika was green as she saw her best friend carried by one of the popular guys in school before she could even be happy for her. pouting slightly, she dragged her feet to the gate. She struggled to pull herself up despite her slightly athletic genes among the other girls. She saw Ryosuke noticing her discomfort but his hands were tight to offer his help. the rest were already over to the other side. to think she will be stranded was too early.

"you're so troublesome. I don't get  it why you have to come," the grumbling continues to her dismay but the contrary was her melting heart.

"grab my hands" Hikaru was sitting on the top of the fence, with his long, admirable fingers opened wide to receive hers. She did not hesitate to take her brother's offer, cause if there's one thing she knew about him after spending everyday together under one roof, is that regardless how irritating he was, he'll not allow his only sister to get hurt. She could vividly recall the one time in junior high school she was embroiled into a case of bullying when a gang of girls weren't happy with her standing up for a outcasted girl in class that they tried to strip her and lock her in the school toilet. that night, her brother searched high and low for her and when he found her in the girl's toilet, crying and shivering in the cold, he wrapped her up in his knitted top, leaving him half , and carried her back home without any complaints. she hasn't told him before, but in her eyes, there was more than gratitude for her only brother, Hikaru. he is the best brother she could wish for. Well, he is every girl's dream too, tall, tan, more importantly handsome. She felt possessive at times especially when she always tortured him by making him choose herself over his girlfriend. a sister is always more important than a girlfriend, isn't that what everyone says. besides, he changes girlfriends like changing clothes. why can't he be as committed as Ryosuke whom everyone in school knew he only had one girlfriend since junior high, though it seemed like something happened to them and the girl left him. 

By the time they were all facing the main majestic door of the mansion, they could feel an uncomfortable aura surrounding them. Suzuka was shaking so badly that everytime someone breaks the silence, she'll jump.

"ouch" Umika shrieked when Suzuka accidentally trampled onto her feet when she back tracked a little. All of them turned back to see the commotion and ended in sighs. "at this rate, you'll annoy everyone, Suzuka," Yuya remarked.

"why not you stand between us, then you wouldn't be so afraid" Chinen added as he offered the spot beside himself and Ryosuke, and the latter gladly moved to give her some space. Suzuka hopped towards, leaving Umika behind the group, once again in envy, while massaging her feet.

The door creaked open, and for the rare time, they all felt the chills, set off by a scent of decay that intrigued their noses. 

"goodness, what's the stench?! it smells like something died here for a long time!" Haruna rudely commented, while the rest were not keen to make a quick passing remark.

"what's the history behind this place, Ryosuke? tell the rest what you researched the other time" Yuya asked. Ryosuke took a quick glance at Suzuka, seemingly worried since she looked as though she's gonna hyperventilate and die. he edged closer to her as though giving her assurance. it's this little acts that makes girls skip a beat. 

"what I found online was that there was a gruesome mass murder happened here about 10 years ago when a group of 6 friends who came to this mansion for a sleepover. then for an unknown reason, one by one was killed. when they wanted to flee from the mansion, it only seemed that the mansion didnt let them out. before they could find the way out, all of them were brutally killed."

"ghost?" Umika blurted out, the rest wore a pale face as they listened attentively to the horror tale.

"it's not apparently. there was a video cam recovered during the investigation, and the clips saw one of the friends killing the rest. then at the end, the killer committed suicide"

"this part was only a hearsay. this case was unresolved and there are also sayings that it was a curse that led to their deaths. and of course some said it's a vengeful ghost that killed them" Yuya clarified.

"nande... then we shouldn't be here..." Suzuka was the most frightened of all. Umika seconded the motion this time.

"minna, these are all rumours. besides, if it was a curse at all, there's 7 of us, so it doesn't replicate their situation" Ryosuke tried to ease the tension, and possibly guilt since he could sense that she's about to cry. However, Hikaru is simply not helping, instead aggravating the situation, "We can also say that 6 of us will be cursed and 1 of us will make it out alive. who will be the lucky one?"

"yametteyo, Niichan! hidoi!" Umika gave Hikaru a merciless slap on his back, causing him to laugh and gasp in pain. Umika's reaction helped relieve a little of the fear as they laughed. 

"alright, lets go forward and explore deeper," Haruna said impatiently. Then the rest of us could hear the soft giggling between her and Yuya, and most of us knew by then what their plans for the night would be. Umika thought in her mind about a discussion she overheard in class, that majority of the younger generation aren't s by the age of 18. She never wanted to believe that cause she can't even find herself a boyfriend. 

"Be Careful!!!" she heard a loud holler and a strong grip around wrist that pulled her so forcefully that she flung right into a warm 'cushion'. 

"a-arigatou.." she stammered helplessly once she returned to her senses, finding herself wrapped in Ryosuke's firm arms, looking into his eyes with their faces merely an inch apart. they were so close, she could hear and smell his citrusy scented breath that dulls her senses. 

They saw a huge hold in the ground and it seemed as though something really heavy fell through many layers, creating a bottomless pit. "there's a lot of dangers around, so l think we should stay alert. and as for you, ms Umika, you better not stand at the back," Hikaru broke that moment of connection and pulled me nearer to himself. She steal a quick glance at the back of her, and their eyes met once more. She gave a simple nod in expression of gratitude, and he did likewise to acknowledge it.

it is no wonder the 6 friends did not find their way out cause as they turned from one corridor to the next, it already felt like a maze. the three girls merely followed the 4 guys, not knowing exactly where they were. in such darkness, there's also no telling how long they were inside the compound. not one of them wanted to make any loud gestures, secretly afraid to awaken anything lurking in this mansion. Creaking sounds from the stiff wooden panels holding them to the ground. after the close shave with the hole in the ground, all of them were carefully looking out for possible dangers.

"Yeahhh! I saw it!" Haruna dashed past the guys and opened the door to the bedroom. The rest saw her stood at the entrance in a daze and was nervous at what she saw. "Haruna~ what did you see?" Hikaru asked with paranoia while holding Umika's arm tightly. Haruna did not respond immediately. So Ryosuke and Yuya trailed forward. it finally became known as what captivated Haruna was the grand furnishing of the room. then it erupted in happiness.

"wohoooo!" Haruna was first to jump onto the queen size bed and claimed possession. "this is mine tonight! and the room at the side is Yuya's~" 

"well, you two could share a room~" Hikaru teased before heading to the third room, and so on. all except Suzuka was not keen to have a room to herself. "Umika! I share a room with you okay?" she whispered to Umika when she is about to enter the room between Hikaru and Ryosuke. Suzuka was hoping no one heard her embarrassing request, Ryosuke did and he gave a subtle smile to them both before heading into his.

That first hour, everyone occupied their designated room, some quickly fell into a deep sleep like Hikaru, Chinen and Umika, but there are ones who were not used to the deep silence of the cold night that regardless how many times they tossed and turned, they couldn't sleep. Ryosuke laid on his arms behind his back, using that time alone to reflect on life, smiling to himself as he recounted memories. Suzuka was too paranoid about the night sounds that her heart became too unsettled for a peaceful sleep. Then there was that couple who couldn't wait to tear the wall between them. Yuya excitedly prepared himself, drinking a bottle of tonics and spraying some cologne, donning a flashy tanktop and his boxers.

"open up, darling.... I'm here... waiting... are you preparing? let me in first~ Haruna... Haruna!!!" Yuya was shouting for such a long time outside her door that soon, everyone was awakened. 

"what happened?" Hikaru, Ryosuke and Chinen appeared at her door with Yuya's impatience reaching the limit. He was pounding the door so hard that he was on the verge of tearing it down. Umika and Suzuka joined them thereafter, in a look of worrisome.

"isn't she in the room?" Suzuka asked.

" lets just knock through and check. besides we gave her enough warning" Yuya said. While the other 3 guys didn't feel that it's a good idea, the long silence warrants extreme measure. Yuya gave it a good bump, followed by Hikaru and finally the door swing opened slightly. Yuya was about to barge in when Ryosuke held him back, "we can have Umika check it out first. in case, it's not too appropriate" Suzuka was clearly not an option since she hasn't stopped shivering in cold sweat.

Umika nodded then headed in. "she's not here," she immediately responded. The rest dashed in and was truly in shock.

"where did she go? she can't have explored on her own without telling any of us!" Yuya urgently spoke.

"it's dangerous to wander alone," Ryosuke added. immediately Yuya went berserk, dashing out of the room into the corridor.

"where are you going?!" Chinen asked aloud, and the reply he got was "I'm gonna look for her!"

"Oi! wait for me! I'll go with you~" Ryosuke ran after.

"damn, are we overreacting?" Hikaru said and gave chase "Chinen, take care of Umika and Suzuka until we come back. to leave this place..."

"ungh..."

"do you think something bad happened to Haruna? maybe it's the curse..." Suzuka absentmindedly commented, thinking that Chinen and Umika would not react to her over thinking. she was wrong.

"your mouth is so foul! can't believe you said that. I am sure nothing happened and there's definitely nothing like curse or mass murder that will come in our path!" Chinen raged. Umika consoled the frightened Suzuka, while trying to ease the tension.

"Suzuka is just being concerned. lets go into our room and wait for the rest to bring her back, ne." Umika asked Chinen. Chinen nodded in a ceasefire, then the trio made their way in.

"Suzuka..." Chinen broke the still air after a short wait.

"ne?" she got startled by his call and Umika became uptight that he will scold her again.

"sorry," Chinen said. that was more like the Chinen Yuri they knew, the ever kind, friendly guy next door. to think of it, it was the first time Umika saw Chinen lost his temper. Umika saw Suzuka and Chinen exchanging smiles and felt that under the twilight of a strange, remotely horrifying mansion, the true revelation of each character will follow, and even the best of friendships will be put to a rigorous test. She looked into the gorgeous moon, seemingly watching them from afar and let a smile crept up onto her face. though that curl in her lips could only last so long, as Ryosuke was first to come back in a slouch, apparently exhausted.

"how come  you're alone?" Chinen stood by Ryosuke and asked, and before the latter could reply, Hikaru followed behind.

"where's Yuya and Haruna?" Chinen asked impatiently.

"I can't find. Yuya was running so fast. I never caught up with him. I can't even find Haruna too... What about you, Hikaru?"

"same. this place is like a maze. I thought I can't find my way back. well, this happened before, when the 2 of them abandoned us and left for their own fun right. so I think lets not bother. we are seriously over reacting." Hikaru said.

"I don't think we should go on, Suzuka is feeling sick. I don't feel secured too" Chinen helped voice Suzuka's concern, and did not make her embarrass. the latter felt touched.

Hikaru sighed then turned to Ryosuke "do you remember the way out?"

"I think so. we didnt go too deep in, so I would think we should be able to find our way out easily," Ryosuke said but there was clearly uncertainty in his tone. Umika could see that he didnt want to disappoint them so as promised, he led the way with Chinen, while Hikaru took the back with the 2 girls in his view.

Minutes after minutes, perhaps even an hour, the exit was no where in sight. everyone became a little frustrated, a little flustered, a little impatient and temperamental.

"where's the exit? we've been walking for so long, Ryosuke," Hikaru asked for the sake of the exhausted friends.

"I don't understand, I followed the same way out, how come I feel I'm turning in circles," Ryosuke apologetically revealed.

"oh great, now we're lost," Hikaru asserted in annoyance. 

"gomene minna. I..." Ryosuke bowed in utter shame. he felt really sorry especially when he saw how tired everyone was, and Suzuka who looked really pale from extended period of fear.

"Daijoubu, Ryosuke. I think we're all tired, including you. none of us recognized the route out, so you're not to be blamed. I suggest we stay until the sun rises, then we should be able to find out way out effortlessly. the darkness isn't helping anyway," Umika bravely stood out and suggested.

"I agree. but this time, we must be sure that no one leaves unannounced. okay?" Chinen supported.

"yes. I think we should share rooms... at least we can look after each other," Ryosuke proposed. Suzuka immediately took a step closer to Ryosuke, so he knew she has taken a pick. "I'll share one with Suzuka and Chinen. Hikaru and Umika can share the other" 

There was a grim in Suzuka's face, as though she has immediately forgotten her troubles. Umika felt slightly unhappy, but bear a smile until they went back to their separate rooms. she slumped onto the bed, with her hands and legs spread out barbarically and her face down

"yamette, Niichan!" she complained when she felt a load above her back. Hikaru laid on top of her, stacked up and pretending he didnt hear her retaliation. She kicked him off the bed then sat up in a pout. He laughed when he pulled himself up then sat beside her, "as if I couldn't tell that you're jealous~"

"I'm not."

"denying is admitting. you realised your own frantic reaction to clear your name from my allegation," Hikaru reasoned philosophically. he's not always that smart, but when he does, it's almost correct.

"Well well, my sister, don't say I don't treat you good. if I have a chance, I'll see how I can matchmake the 2 of you. it'll be difficult since he's considered a really good catch, but I promise I'll try" he teased.

"yametteyo.." Umika blushed as he pushed away his brother's arm wrapped around her shoulder. He loves making fun of his sister, this time was again mission accomplished when her face flushed like red tomato. Then she mustered her guts to ask her brother who has been friends with the group for a long time. She probed up beside him on the bed, leaned against the wall, shoulder to shoulder and asked "Do you think I ever have a chance? Suzuka seemed to be closer to him and she likes him too"

"so if she confesses to him later, will you give up?"

"I think~since I don't think i fully comprehend what it means to love. maybe I'm not ready."

"foolish. do you think she knows? she probably only likes him for his face and popularity. I know Suzuka longer than you, she may seem like a harmless girl but I can tell you she's just as selfish, self-centered and boastful. she equally know nuts about love, and she probably wants him so that she can flaunt about herself. in fact, i believe you are more sincere in a relationship despite your lack of understanding."

"I think Suzuka will be good to him. she's pretty and all too"

"pretty? it's not like my sister is not. anyway, I don't want to argue with you over this. but Ryosuke is a nice guy. his heart is very delicate and he is very sincere in the things he do and the way he treats others. Though I must say he was alot more cheerful and fun in junior high, then in high school he got a little more quiet and serious about stuff. in any case, I rather him be with you than Suzuka. so to answer your initial question, I think you have a higher chance cause the great Hikaru will help you"

"Niichan~ you're hilarious," she laughed it off, not openly accepting his offer cause regardless of his shallow her understanding of love is, it has got to be her own effort, it's her own fight for her love. only through ... will she understand the true meaning of loving somebody. 

*****

"I need to go to the toilet," Suzuka asked in hesitation. She held it in for long, especially not in front of Hikaru as she didnt want to add to the endless list of problems. but she could no longer hold it.

"I'll go with her. Ryosuke, you will be okay alone here right?" Chinen was concerned for his best friend though the disappearance of his two friends were uncertain and probably did not warrant any worries. 

"Of course I'm okay. the two of you take care too. watch where you are going."

"hai~" Chinen said cheerfully and they exchanged smiles before the door finally close.

The night carried on in absolute quietness. there was not a single abrupt noise. it is complete peace. but that stillness in the air was unsettling for both Hikaru and Umika. Unexpectedly, Hikaru was first to break the silence. He sat up suddenly from the bed where Umika laid alongside, then announced his uncertainty "I think I should check on the rest. just to be sure everyone is alright. you stay..." Hikaru came down from the bed, wore his shoes and rushed to the door. perhaps it was his urgency that made it difficult to  remain calm. 

"I'll go with you," she left the bed but he insisted she stayed.

"it's just next door so don't be a burden okay. I'll be fast." he didn't let her negotiate, and was out in a blink of an eye. Umika slumped back into the bed and brood as the time continued to tick.

"Chinen, Ryosuke, Suzuka.. it's me, Hikaru. open up~" he yelled at their door. once, twice, and even on the third call, there was not a single noise coming from the room. dead silence. Hikaru nudged the door and realised it wasn't locked. He nervously walked in and was welcomed by an bare, empty room. there was nothing, not a single soul. Hikaru looked around the area, passing the surrounding corridors, until he reached one that was further away. He heard some noise which sounded like a faint cry, giving him instant goosebumps. but as he walked closer to the source, he realised the familiarity of the sound. he dashed forward and at that same instance when he ascertain what it was, his heart stopped, too shocked to speak, too afraid to think. But there wasn't much chance for him to approach the subject cause there at the other end, he has been watched by a pair of murderous eyes. Something shimmering in the dark caught his attention and his instinct was to run as fast as he could to his sister

****

Thump! there was a loud sound as if something has fallen through the ground. Umika was startled by the loud disturbance and became puzzled and anxious as to the source. that wasn't entirely because of the noise but it was in addition to the long wait for her brother to return. Hikaru has been away for almost 30minutes and for checking on the next door, he's taking a long time. Umika mustered her guts and ventured out of the confined boundaries of the room to ensure everything is alright. with a heavy heart, largely trembling, she swing open the door just as Hikaru did. to her dismay, there was nothing. in fact there was no sign that it was ever occupied by Chinen, Suzuka or Ryosuke, more importantly, it didnt have any traces of Hikaru too.

"Niichan~ where are you?" she said softly but became hysteric when there came no reply. yet something tell her that she shouldn't be shouting loud. she looked at the darkness of the long corridor with bents and turns at every corner, she feared, but there was no room for retreat anymore. by now, she knew something has clearly gone wrong, and it's definitely not merely a case of leaving the mansion unannounced, cause there was no way all of them did that, especially not her own brother. "Niichan won't leave me here alone" she thought to herself. She ran with light steps, then as she past the bathroom, she heard an unusual water drop sound. She peeked in, but it was too dark to see anything. She ventured in, one step at a time, extremely cautious, extremely fearful. it was so frightening that she could hear her own heartbeat bursting through her chest. The first few cubicles were completely opened, then came those which are only partially closed. it was traumatic everytime she push it open. she did so for the last 3 cubicles, then when she walked to the last one, she thought the toilet was entirely empty. She walked away, only to turn back as she thought she saw someone in the cubicle.

"Ah, it's you Suzuka" she exclaimed in relief when she saw the familiar clothings of hers. that's basically what she saw in the darkness and in such anxiety which didnt allow any elaborate processing, depends only on heuristic cues. However, Suzuka didnt follow her when she walked away. Strange, she thought, so she went to bring her out in case she was afraid of something.

"come on, Suzuka" She pulled her up, only to be pricked at her shoulders by something disturbing. She squinted her eyes and took a close look at what it was.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!" she was in extreme shock when she saw a long sharpened wooden pole pierced through her friend's heart. Umika let go of Suzuka whose blood shot eyes stared into hers and her face obviously carved by a knife, ruthlessly disfigured. Umika took several steps back, tripping over a pail. pain wasn't her main concern at the moment. she now has to deal with both the loss of her best friend as well as the grotesque scene engraved in her mind, causing her to tremble like never before. Fear grew immensely as she mentally speculated the fate of her other friends who disappeared one after another, and that includes her brother who loves to tease but was never hateful. She was so shakened up that she couldn't scream but cry. Cold sweat and endless streams of tears quickly drenched her as she staggered quickly out of the toilet, into the next corridor. She haphazardly bumped into a piece of furniture, seemingly a display cupboard then something huge fell over. She took a quick glance, again in poor visibility and saw 2 bodies bonded together by duck tapes. She was afraid when she went nearer to ascertain their state of life and their identities, and when she rolled them over, she realised it was Yuya and Haruna and they are both soaked in blood. This time, she was so petrified she screamed without any sound as if something was stuck in . it was apparent to her now that they have not left without notice but brutally killed by whatever that occupied this mansion, hidden in the dark. It had been long enough to drain all their blood such that there was no more. There's only Chinen, Ryosuke and her brother left on the list of missing, and she's feeling sick from the mere thought of it.

"Niichan~" she cried terribly with cupped upon to prevent any sounds from alerting the unknown. Her friends, all killed so gruesomely, were facts she couldn't reconcile and they were all so unbelievable that it seemed like a nightmare that she want to be awakened from. Then came the horrific scene she has to deal with, live.

"Chinen!!!!"she ran to a body, sprawled near the stairs. He is still alive, struggling very much. When she lifted his head and lay him on her shoulders, she realised the possible fatal blow was to his throat. There was a deep cut-throat wound across his neck, still largely spilling blood, litres of it. 

"Chinen, how can I help... you will be okay, please" she pressed her hands on his enormous wound. He was suffering, body experiencing severe convulsions, and temperature dropping exponentially. Umika was freaked out by the amount of blood, and was pessimistic about him making it at all. Yet, his tired eyes was desperately looking for hers.

"yes, what do you want to tell me?"

he's probably slashed in the throat, so he couldn't at all speak. instead, with his bloody fingers, he persevered to convey his dying message. Holding on to Chinen tightly, she watched as he doodled on the floor.

"R......... U......... N......." was his blood written message.

"run? run from what, who? who did this to all of you..."

then with his dying breathe, he spelled out in English alphabets. " Y..................P......." then his fingers stopped moving, his body collapsed. Umika brought her finger to his nose and was stunned by his departure. even though she knew it was unlikely he can make it alive, she was crying hard, cause Chinen was like the kindest senior she had, always willingly tutoring her when she's unsure with her school work. he always wore a sunshine smile that makes everyone's bad day turn for the better. She gently placed her hand on his eyes and closed it so he could rest in peace. at the same time, she saw not a pair of pain-stricken eyes, but sadness entrapped in it. his last tears rolled down the corner. puzzling as it is, she could not figure if YP was what he wanted to convey cause it did not ring a bell in her mind. she also saw him tightly holding on to something in his right palm, so tightly that even after his death, it took Umika sometime to loosen the grip. there was a button, but it did not belong to himself.

*footsteps sound was closing in. there was no time for her to solve the mystery. one delay may lead to her death, just like her friends. She placed Chinen down, then made a dash, while turning her head back to see who it was and how close a distance they were in.  She's breaking out in cold sweat and tears. bumping onto corners and concrete walls, she could feel her shoulders bruising so badly. even if her tears and sweat interferes with her vision, she couldn't brush it away since her hands were bloody. the footsteps were approaching so fast, she was afraid she was going to be outrun soon. She saw the rooms once again and quickly pulled her aching body into one of the room and shut herself in it. she stared at the door, afraid to breathe as she heard the steps closing in. The footsteps stopped but to her, it was like the peace before the storm. her deafening heartbeat fills the room. she hesitantly leaned against the door to hear if there was anyone by the door...

*bang bang bang

the loud banging of her door startled her so much that the accumulated fear were all let out in a scream. "AHHHHHHHHHH!" She was screaming so loud that it took her a while to realise the person outside was trying to talk to her.

"it's me... Ryosuke... it's okay...open up, Umika~" he sounded exhausted, panting hard. Umika was in disbelief, still crying still screaming, cupping her ears. the other side continues to console her through the door.

"we'll make it out together... let me come in first, whatever did those to them, is coming to get us. we have to look out for each other."

She opened the door after she calmed down slightly, really slightly. and when she saw his face, she felt most relieved when she knew there was someone to share that initial pressure, fear, sadness. she froze on the ground as though she's too happy to see one of her friends still alive. "Ryosuke~. she cried his name when he let himself in and shut the room door behind them, locking it securely. 

while trying to catch his breathe, he turned to her and held her by her shoulders, desperately searching for her eyes in the midst of her cries. "I'm here, you see. you're not alone. I promise you we will be okay."

She finally paused her crying and looked at him with hopes to seek solace in his comfort. his sympathetic eyes conveyed his confidence and sincerity.

"I saw... all of them...killed. and Niichan, he.. I can't find him..." she threw herself in his arms, embracing him so hard with all the  heavy thoughts. He reciprocated, with his hands moved to her back, bringing her closer, securing her with all intention to relieve her from the unpleasant memories of earlier, if not to mentally convey his will to share her burden. She did feel an overwhelming sense of it, experiencing both a urge to rely on him for strength and comfort, and the feeling of being taken care of and loved. of course the word love here referred not to a romantic relationship since there's nothing literal between them (and her one-sided infatuation without a confession or a sign is seen as a non-existence love), but the companionship during a perilous event did spark a special bond that brought them closer. his delicate touches that caressed his back in hopes to console her traumatized soul left her heart fuzzy and warm... and a little wet.

Umika looked at his forearms where her skin brazed with his, and saw blood spilling from a deep cut.

"Ryosuke, you are injured!" she finally became alerted after what seemed like a 10 minutes of embrace. "come..." Umika calmly held him by his wrists and pulled him to the bed. Sat beside him, she carefully raised his sleeves to see the length of the wound, luckily it wasn't too deep, but he probably has lost quite a bit of blood cause his lips has turned rather pale. He was touched by her focus and considerate touches that ensured she wouldn't incur more pain to him, as he watched her try to clean the wound and stop the bleeding. She then tore a piece of rectangular cloth from the blanket then wrapped it around the injury. 

Once she's done, he said, "there was someone else in this house. he was the one who killed them. when I found Chinen struggling with him, he attacked me. if it wasnt because Chinen used his remaining strength to throw him away from me, i would have died too. I owe my life to Chinen. he's always looking out for me but I... couldn't do anything to save him, running away with him left behind." Ryosuke lowered his head and Umika saw a tear dropped onto his jeans. all this time, she has been self-centeredly ventilating her emotions but she has foresaken his equally traumatized self which he hides it in order not to affect her. She was deeply ashamed for her insensitivity and could only do damage control for now.

"Chinen wouldn't be able to live with those injuries inflicted upon him, so he rather use his life to save you. don't blame yourself, cause that's the power of friendship. it's often irrational but largely intuitive," she said with all truth. If it was normal circumstances, she wouldn't have the courage nor the opportunity to do so, but at this time, she slipped her hand into his and gave it a light squeeze. He turned to her in surprise, then she gave a smile "like you say, we'll get out together."

"yes, we will" he returned a smile, though it was shortlived.

"I didnt see Hikaru while I was out there. but I promise I'll keep my eyes open for him."

Umika nodded with an obvious saddened face. she couldn't hide her relived fear that she has already lost her brother. flashes of her dead friends were all vivid reminders that her brother could have been killed as gruesome as the rest. Suzuka was the worst.

Ryosuke placed his other hand over hers and gave her a gentle squeeze and through her eyes, she was convinced that this shouldn't be the top of mind awareness until they make it out alive. She bear an assuring nod that she'll focus on the escape at hand.

"ah... wait..." he stood up and remove the checkered blouse he tied around his waist and handed to her. Given her look of confusion, he said "change into this. the blood on your shirt will make you uncomfortable"

It's true, she's feeling the nausea. However, wearing his shirt was something truly nervous. As she slipped herself into the top, she got weaves of his masculine perfume that made her heart skip several beats and her fingers trembling as she button her clothes. it took her long until she's finally done. "I'm done. thank you Ryosuke."

He took the box of tissues from the dressing table and wet it with some drinking water then moved closer to her.

"heh?" unconsciously, she has shifted herself to the edge of the bed, about to fall over.

"ah~" fortunately, he caught her by her waist, preventing the fall. but it also brought them to a very close proximity, the second time today. They stared at each other for a long time, and it wasn't just a mere imagination or wishful thought that they were both moving closer and closer to each other, as though drawn towards the other's lips. under the impression of a kiss was to happen, Umika felt like her breathing was to halt. Her eyes closed in nervousness, but instead of her lips, she felt light touches upon her cheeks and neck. She opened her eyes and saw Ryosuke cleaning the blood stains from her sensitive spots. As she nudged a little, he firmly but gently grabbed her by her neck. "just a little more." his focused glare was so mesmerizing, she couldn't take her eyes of him. it was only when he started speaking that her soul returned. 

"that's better..." he smiled gorgeously. I think we should wait it out until it's a little brighter. it's only an hour before the sun rises. we'll be in a better position to escape from the killer"

Umika nodded at his suggestion.

"take a rest first. I'll keep a lookout, don't worry," Ryosuke offered, but Umika immediately turned it down, "I'm okay. you're injured, you should rest."

Ryosuke sighed, "actually, I won't be able to sleep". She agreed then they arrived at a consensus. He leaned backwards against the wall, with his legs placed against his chest, turning his eyes closed with a slight frown. She moved beside him, then found herself staring helplessly at his charming face. even in such situation, she can't help falling for every bit of him. His v-shaped shirt, slightly moist from his sweat, makes him even more attractive than he already is. Unknowingly, she brought her fingers near to his tired face, but fortunately, she held back in time before she formally touched him. She was apparently startled by his sudden break of silence. "Umika..."

"...ungh..."

she stared at him blankly, as she heard him out, "there's something I'm always curious about. I think it's weird to ask, but since we are kind of stuck in such a life and death situation, do you mind hearing me out?" 

"yes?"

"how well do you understand your friends? say Chinen and the rest. their preferences, their habits, their attitudes, their behaviours, and probably the rationale behind all their actions?"

"I think quite alright? I think I'm confident of not stepping into their zone."

"then what about me?" He suddenly turned to her, facing her and asking. "how well do you think you know me?"

"hmmm... Ryosuke, I think it's funny how you have been my senior from junior school, and that'll make it about 5 years, but we never really talked... ne?"

He chuckled, "it's partly you. you always looked like you are scared of me or something..."

"that's because I... I..." she stammered, frantically hiding her shyness.

"I'm just kidding. at least we're talking now. though of course it's not really the best of time. if we make it out alive, we can get to know more of each other," She nodded enthusiastically to his suggestion.

"what do you think of me, then?" she asked, unable to curb her curiosity to learn the impressions she created in him.

"i could tell you really treat all your friends with utmost sincerity and you're someone who will do everything in your capacity to help someone in need. a righteous friend and a great companion. but sometimes, I think you trust people too easily and you neglect yourself."

Umika was stunned at how well Ryosuke read her. it was almost reflective of the internal struggles and injustice she suppressed within her heart all these while, it makes her wonder what makes him say so.

"how did you...." she asked.

"well, you can easily be read like an open book. your emotions are written all over your face. but this point isn't really a bad one, cause at least you stay true to yourself. that's something alot of people can't do, not even me."

"Ryosuke, you're really kind. I think that's what make you so popular in school. people generally just see you approachable"

He laughed, "that's the first time I heard such compliments for me. I'm definitely not as approachable as you think. I'm very slow when it comes to befriending people. put it crudely, I think I'm a loner"

frankly, she hasn't noticed cause she has been too shy around him to notice so much. she smiled to herself. the first glimpse of the sunlight shines into their room, signaling the end of a short sharing session and the start of a heart pounding escape.

"lets go...I'll be in front, follow my cue ne," he reassured. his assurance gave her the utmost confidence that she'll be in good care. She returned a firm nod, as a form of support she could offer him, cause she was sure he was afraid too. losing his best friends in such dreadful outing could have been worst for him, yet he never stopped to comfort her instead. watching him from his back, made her more convinced that she would confess the first thing they make it out.

She grip the edge of his white tee, as they went past corridors to corridors. then when they were near to their deceased friends, he will consciously took her in and wrapped his arms around her shoulders. yes, she was less fearful, much less. with him, she felt braver.

Then they past Chinen. She suddenly recalled the clues Chinen gave her. She was excited to tell Ryosuke about what he has conveyed, then she retrieved the button she found in his hand, all prepared to analyse with Ryosuke.

But at the same instance, she realised something critical, that she has missed out because of her distracted mind and now that she managed to string everything that happened today, she discovered something horrifying. She was petrified on the spot, stopping just after she past Chinen's body. Ryosuke who what's moved 2-3 steps forward, realised she was lagging.

"don't worry. I don't think he's near. come, we are almost there." he held her trembling hands and pulled her forward, but this time, she did not budge.

"it isn't YP...Chinen didn't manage to complete it before he died. it's ... it's YR"..."

"huh? I don't understand what you're talking about... YP or YR, lets just go out first," Ryosuke said and insisted on going forward. still, Umika didn't move.

"YR is your initial in romanization. Yamada Ryosuke..."

"so? Umika, there's no time to lose..."

"Chinen was trying to tell me to run from the one who killed them... and it isn't some random maniac I'm supposed to run from... it's you..." she shook his hand away and took several steps back.

"heh?... what are you blabbering? I don't get you at all. what exactly did Chinen show you?" he came closer to her, and she backed away more.

"Ryosuke... I didnt tell you about him showing me anything..you knew he can't speak because you were there, you were the one who cut his throat!"

"crazy, I knew because I saw the attacker did so. Umika, can you relax. you are scaring me," he revealed his flustered self, something he didn't show earlier.

"I found this on Chinen's hand. it's the attacker's" she showed the button. "it's from your blouse. it's a unique design, so there's no denying, Ryosuke"

By this time, Ryosuke was standing stationary. His head was lowered with the shadows casted behind him from the window-less corridor. 

"it's you, isn't it? you killed them all." she reasserted herself when she noticed he wasn't reacting to her claims.

 

************************************************************************************

740e9ee1jw1ety7awg7vqj20i50owtd0.jpg

 

"why must you be so smart~ you are just so close to making it out..." he said as he paced slowly towards her. his footsteps was light and intimidating. When he raised his head, she saw how his glare was no longer the friendly, loving one, but was almost gleaning with evil. 

"So it's really you! why?!!! why must you kill them!" Umika was in disbelief even though she solved the mystery herself. she just couldn't believe a angelic guy like him, will do something brutal like this.

He smirked, "well, well. each of them deserved it, Umika. I can tell you that you do not understand them at all~ their hearts are as black as it can be, and you chose not to see it. at the end of the day, you'll also get hurt by these people. you should be thanking me, or you'll be the unfortunate one."

"shut up! they're our friends! they're your friends, how could you?!"

"they're not my friends!!! they are liars, they are selfish, they are everything but nice folks! the day they caused her death, I have sworn I will kill them!"

Umika tried hard to recall what he was implying, who the her was, and the closest incident that happened in their 5 years of school life together was that only one... that particular incident shock the school and caused much talk in the vicinity, and as much as she wanted not to think of it, she remembered that there was a period after that accident that they all acted weird. and as her brother brought it up earlier, Ryosuke also become quieter from then. "Shida Mirai?"

He laughed hysterically, "not bad. you remembered her"

"she committed suicide... her death has nothing to do with them."

he became furious, raging like she has never seen before. Shouting fiercely, "SHE DID NOT COMMIT SUICIDE! THEY PUSHED HER DOWN THE BUILDING, AND LEFT HER TO DIE!!!"

"it can't be~ there must be some misunderstanding."

"she is the last person who would kill herself just cause everyone treats her unfairly. she's the most optimistic person I know, even though the world chose not to accept her. she will never have given up her life when she has so many dreams and ambition yet to fulfill. she has plans with me the following day, would someone like that kill herself?!"

"... no, they can't have killed her... that all doesn't mean they killed her..."

Ryosuke smirked with his clench fist. with his free hand, he retrieved his phone. there was no reception so umika knew it wasnt a phone call he's making. instead, he played a voice recording 

"Moshi Moshi... Mirai?..." it was Ryosuke's voice Umika recognized immediately, and she realised by now it was a recording of what is captured in a phone conversation. Mirai has called him on that day of the accident. however, instead of her reply, the conversation turned out to be dreadful.

"... I didnt, I didnt do it... it wasn't me. I didnt tell on you guys..." she was saying to someone else. it became clear that the opposite party were Yuya and Haruna.

"you are the only one who saw us in the library that night! you told sensei about our relationship! how dare you! now we may be expelled, thanks to you!" Haruna's crude voice blasted through the phone.

*slapped. then something dropped, probably her glasses.

"I didnt do it..." Mirai was crying.

"if it's not you then who?!!!" Yuya asked loudly.

"don't fall for it Yuya. stand up, Shida Mirai! Yuya, pull her up!" 

"nooo... nooo~" her frantic cries grew. there was a bit of struggle but what's surprising that a fourth person's voice emerged.

"it's probably really not her. guys, I think she isn't lying. she doesn't know" Chinen urged them to stop whatever they're doing to her.

"Chinen, don't into the matter!" Haruna said. then came several loud slaps that rang continuously. When it stopped, Mirai was coughing badly. Then there were loud screams from her, begging for forgiveness. "noo... noo please. please believe me.."

"everyone hates you. seriously, you are better off dead!"

There were only sobbings from her, almost as if she agreed with it. Umika saw tears b in Ryosuke's eyes by now. and she could tell the worst was coming.

"no... no~"

"Yuya, don't let her run away!"

"ahhhhhhh! itaiiiii!" there were violence for sure. Then amongst the many screams from Mirai, the last scream was the most hair-raising one, cause it stopped, abruptly and it was followed by one loud crash, that sounded far but deafening.

then the frantic reaction recorded by the phone gave Umika a clear indication that the accident has occurred.

Chinen's voice reappeared again, "oh my gosh!!! quick, call the ambulance!...what are you doing?"

"you can't call... I'm not going to allow that... everyone will know we did it. you are here too, so you are responsible as well!" Haruna seemed to have snatched away Chinen's phone.

"but she's gonna die..."

"then let her be. she deserved it... lets go before anyone spot us~" Yuya announced, then Ryosuke stopped the recording.

"do you still think she committed suicide, Umika~" he asked coldly, then broke out in a hysteric laughter once again. "they blatantly told the police that she was autistic, weird, and didnt mingle with others. they said bad things about her. and just because she's an orphan, the police easily closed the case as a suicide."

"why didnt you hand the recording to the police~?"

"I would have... until I heard the police themselves belittling the case. their intentions were to close case as soon as they can. there won't be justice, Umika! I've learnt this the hard way~ and I regretted not seeing through their disgusting characters earlier!"

"Chinen, at least Chinen, didnt deserve to die.."

"guess what... i thought I could probably forgive him, but turned out he was the main cause of her death! Mirai was protecting him even when she was being violently treated. right up to her death, she never tell on him"

"huh?"

"the one who spill to sensei about Yuya and Haruna's relationship was Chinen! he quietly told me a year later at the shrine. he owed her a life! not only did he not stepped out to confess his own acts, he let her be the scapegoat and even lied to the police!"

"my brother... Hikaru wasn't in the picture~"

"I really thought so~ but recently, I found out he was. I overheard him disciplining Yuya about bullying somebody and he talked about witnessing the accident! he saw the whole thing but he did not tell the police!!! just cause she's ostracize by the whole world, doesn't mean she should be treated this way!"

"... why ... why are you avenging for her? if she's just a friend..."

"you think these are alittle extreme~" he laughed again... "she didnt want me to be affected by the treatment others are giving her, so she argued with me several times to keep it a secret. she was so thoughtful for others but never herself."

"what secret?"

"we have been dating for 3 years before her death. she wanted to protect me, saying that I was popular and all, and that she isn't...she has such serious inferior complex that I had to find out myself that she liked me when I picked up a love letter she didnt have the courage to give. honestly, she was better than any girls I've met~ she's considerate, sincere and kind. she's always listening out to my problems even though she has much more. she didnt want to be a burden so she always cry secretly when she's bullied but smile to me when I come to her. I regretted not going all out against her wishes to declare out relationship so that I can openly protect her. but it's all too late..."

Umika was overwhelmed by the hatred from Ryosuke, and she too couldn't decide whether the rest deserved the brutality subjected to them. 

"...you are just like her... too kind to these idiots who didnt deserve your friendship at all~ especially Ohgo Suzuka!"

Umika remained silent cause there seemed to be a connection with what he was about to say. 

"last year's valentines... I know all of it. I saw those things she did behind your back."

She knew what event he was saying...

Hikaru stood at a secluded corner of the corridor of the senior's classrooms, engrossed in a intense conversation with Umika. "he'll be in the music room today. I'm supposed to help him with something but I can't make it. you replace me, and in a space with you two, without interruption, go confess to him."

"are you crazy, Niichan? I don't like him..."

"liar... I saw your phone with a photo of him. anyway, I'm giving you that opportunity, it's up to you whether to use it. in any case, I'm certain he has no date today. this means he's single and available. don't regret cause I know there are others who would confess to him on a day like this."

"Niichan" Umika whined as his brother left her in uncertain of what to do. She dazed into space the entire day until school's out, and when she saw all the couples by the school gate, out of the tight control of the school rules, she got the urge to give it a try as his brother encouraged.

Unfortunately, she was stopped by the flustered Suzuka along the way to the music room. She saw the spilled paint over the floor that Suzuka has accidentally knocked over, she knew she had to help her instead.

As Umika recalled the day's events, Ryosuke laughed sarcastically, "you think you're really kind, are you. it's just plain stupid cause she fooled you entirely, she made use of your kindness and trampled on you. She heard your conversation with Hikaru, and of course she wanted to ruin that for you. so she knocked over the paint, knowing that you'll do anything to help her. when she told you she had to leave to do something, she's lying too. she simply took your place and joined me at the music room. I could still remember that disgusting flirtatious pretentious face of hers when she handed me the love letter. I ripped the letter once she's gone."

it only sounded like he has accumulated much hate for her, but it really was nothing that concerns him.

"if you're wondering why my hatred for her... I'll tell you. she was the biggest bully. she knew i was with her so she tormented Mirai everyday. in that three years we were together, I realised Mirai was under so much distress from her. the scariest person isn't Haruna, it's Suzuka! people are so unexpected isn't it. you've not heard the worst. Suzuka was at the first floor when Mirai plummeted. Mirai was still alive then, but Suzuka kicked her hands away when she asked for help!"

"how did you know all these?"

"I didnt until I heard Haruna and Suzuka confronting each other, and threatened to spill the beans about the incident. the two of them thought I didn't care so they didnt hide any part of the details during their cat fight."

She got the full picture by now. she torn by the truth. disappointment was too mild a word to use. for sure, she sympathized for Mirai. but more importantly, she realised she had been so ignorant of things that's happening around her, so oblivious to things, so blind to people's true self, simply because she was afraid of getting hurt so she rather pretend not to care. was she also guilty of an ill character. Ryosuke saw her sunken expression, and knew she was upset. that however, would not change the ending.

"you can only say you are very unlucky. you shouldn't have come today. you only really have yourself to blame. now that you know too much, I'm sorry" Ryosuke came closer. Umika backed up until there's no where to go anymore. leaned against the wall, she cried "please... please don't"

"I can help by making it fast. a quick death by the strike of the heart," he was only a step away as he drew the knife out from a hidden pocket in his jeans. She was pressed against the wall, with the knife pointed against her chest where her heart was. The sweetness of his breathe blew against her face but she was too nervous to even breathe in. her cries couldn't stop, but her heart was about to.

"we were all good chatting earlier... we said we're going to know each other better right? you promised that we'll make it out alive..." she begged, while resisting the knife on his hands. 

"I'm sorry, Umika. but thanks for the short chat earlier" he said as she screamed in pain with the pointy edge scraping her skin. The warmth from the strong grip of her hand is no longer the comforting one, the reassuring one, but scary and life-threatening. his stare was frightening, but at the same time, there was something else she seemed to get from his gaze.

"arghhhhhh!" suddenly, a huge blow came from the back of Ryosuke, and the knife flung onto the ground. Ryosuke was thrown a few meters away, slamming right onto the wall. Umika saw blood spilling from his shoulder blade where a sharpened pole cut deep into his flesh. His white shirt quickly soaked in blood. He was knocked out and was suffering from seizures. 

"quick, lets get the hell out of here before he regains consciousness"

She finally refocused on her saviour and it was none other than... "Niichan!!!!" she felt immensely relieved.

"arghhhhh" she heard his brother struggling to move with the many cuts all over his body, ripped shirt revealing his wounds, and badly injured thighs that made it hard for him to move. she went forward to help his brother and he led her towards the exit. She turned her head back to see Ryosuke still breathing and said "we can't just leave him like this..." she wanted to go back to help him, but Hikaru refused.

"he is a mass murderer. he has totally lost his sanity and will not let us slip off alive the second time... we can get the police and ambulance here once we're out... but not by ourselves! it's too dangerous!" Hikaru sternly asserted. Umika was silenced as she followed her brother's direction to the exterior of the mansion, and when they finally arrive at the entrance where the horror began, Hikaru quickly grabbed his phone and searched for a reception.

Umika, on the other hand, sat dazed onto the ground, looking into the mansion. she couldn't forget that gaze of his, as though he knew what was coming..

"Chotto..." she said to herself as she remembered the very story about the mansion Ryosuke told the clique in the beginning. 

"it wasn't a folk tale nor a curse.. it's his plans!" she murmured to himself.

"Umika!!!" Hikaru couldn't stop her sister from dashing back into the mansion, and in a mere split of a second, the mansion was set in a blaze of fire. Something obviously exploded inside, but Hikaru, no matter how worried he was for his sister, was unable to move his legs anymore.

Umika was shakened by the sudden blast, but it was exactly what she has figured few seconds earlier. Dodging the fire zones, she tried hard to recall the way she last saw Ryosuke. 

"Ryosuke!!!" she saw him leaned against the wall with a clicker on his hand. the fire was spreading fast and it seemed the mansion itself couldn't hold much longer. She didnt care as she sprinted towards him.

Restless and weak, he said with his eyes struggling to open, "w-why did you come back? you are already... safe" he cringed every second as the excruciating pain from his shoulders got to him as he speaks.

"I'm the 7th one. you never had the intention to kill me! even then, you knew my brother was still alive to save me, you knew he will attack you before you do anything to me. 6 people went in, and one of them went insane, killing the other 5 and committing suicide at the end... it's your plan from the beginning!" she clutched his hands and said.

He laughed bitterly. "then.. why did you come back... you foiled my plans..."

"I won't leave you behind. we said to escape together, so we will" she stubbornly tried to lift him up, but he used his little strength to push her away. with agony written all over his face, he exclaimed "go before it's too late. don't do unnecessary things like this that will leave you in regrets~"

"leaving you behind and letting you die will be my biggest regrets."

He laughed again sarcastically, but this time it ended in a loud groan of pain. "if only you were around when Mirai fell off the building, you would have saved her life no matter what"

"I will~ but Ryosuke, I'm not entirely pure. I have my jealous moments too, I may not be truly nice to her if I knew she's with you..."

he stared at her blankly, then she recklessly, impulsively, forcefully, planted her first kiss upon the dried, pale lips of his that has lost it's softness, suppleness and shine. she could taste the leftover menthol tint he applied on his lips, and found it addictive. he thought he would resist, if not push her away, but he found the moment pleasant and consoling, just like it is for her. he shut his eyes as he indulged in that few seconds of parting gift. but when she pulled away, she saw the falling tears from her eyes as she finally mustered the guts to say the word "aieru, Ryosuke..." She burst out in tears, while the blazing fire quickly heated it up. He lifted his fingers and brushed those precious tears away.

"~thank you, Umika... I'm sorry, I dragged you into this. (cough) there's nothing I can do for you. if I could rewind to your first day in junior school when Hikaru introduced you, I would want to be with you. you have a very charming character, so please don't shed these tears for someone like me. ( cough)"

those words of farewell seemed too heavy for her. she took a look around and saw a opening in the sea of fire that leads to the outside. she became determined than ever to bring him to safety.

"no~ I'll bring you out no matter what happens. we can discuss when we're out, but I most certainly will not let you kill yourself this way" she wrapped his  arms where it hurts least, around her shoulder than lifted his weight with much difficulty. 

Seeing her struggle with his weight, he said unbearably "just leave me behind.. I killed them, and I planned to perish with them. there's really no purpose for a sinner like me to live on. and with my death, all our secrets will perish together too. that's ideal.  so just let me be. you'll run faster" 

"no! that's not the ideal. yes, you killed them, but everyone ought to know that Mirai was killed by them too. you're a kind person and that fact hasn't changed. you did all these to avenge for her and although it's not a way i agree with, you have completed the chapter with her. now it's my turn to fight for my own love! i've never dated in my life, and I only want to be with you, i want you as my boyfriend, so don't kill that chance for me."

"Umika~... " he's speechless and touched by the untimely confession. her sincerity never once failed to send a fuzzy feeling in his heart, even with the agony surrounding. there was an unspeakable urge for him to want to live and advance a relationship with her, and even though he ever swore that Mirai would be his first and last, he now has thoughts that if it is Umika, he can break that vow and love her. 

His new found resolution can never be realised as the mighty divine rage upon his unforgivable acts. As he saw the fire bound celling crumbling down upon them, he intuitively used his body to shield her. 

*bang

The deafening crash mercilessly pinned them against the floor, fortunately they didnt fall through the wooden planks. Umika felt Ryosuke's sprawled on top of her with his arms spread across her shoulders, protecting her from all corners, and his head resting beside hers.

"Ryosuke~...." she nudged while speaking directly to his face. regardless how much she called, he didnt respond. she felt blood dripping on her, and she guessed his wound on his shoulder has aggravated. using all her back strength, she pushed the planks away from on top of their bodies. She cradled Ryosuke by his head, and was shocked by the amount of blood flowing from the posterior of his head.

"Ryosuke!!!!!!" she feared his death as he felt his weakening breathing and lowering heart rate. "No!!! I won't let you die! bear with me, you'll get treated and you'll be alright! hear me, don't give up!!!" she lifted him on her back and with all her might, she took one step at a time, pushing her feet forward. she heard his by the sides of her ears as he slipped in and out of consciousness. At the sight of the collapsing door, she threw herself forward and both of them landed right outside, on the maple fields. the mansion came crippling down.

"Umika!" Hikaru shouted in relief, but was equally shocked by the extent of injury Ryosuke sustained as he pulled himself nearer to them. "I've called the police and ambulance, they'll be here soon..." even if Hikaru was sure he hated Ryosuke for taking away the lives of the other 4, he couldn't sustain that hate when he saw the dying boy.

There was only a pale face stained with blood left upon him, and his hands are cold as ice. She refused to let go off him, hugging him tightly as he lay in her arms. "you can't die!!! the ambulance is coming. hang on, Ryosuke!"

Hikaru could tell he may not make it alive, but with the outflow of emotions from Umika, he could not bear to hurt her with the hard truth.

it was almost like his dying breathe, he said with his eyes barely opened, "keep our secrets...l-let it be buried away today... thank you, and sorry again...". the whisper ended.

"No!!!!!!" she cried as Ryosuke once again slipped into a deeper unconsciousness. "Niichan, he saved me~ he saved me so he shouldn't die! he cant!"

"he's still breathing..." albeit it is extremely weak, Hikaru told Umika partially. Soon after the police and ambulance came. Ryosuke was brought into the ambulance and Hikaru in another. The three of them were all separated into different vehicles.

"Ryosuke~" she was afraid she would never see him after the ambulance door closes, so she ran towards him for the last time. Gripping his hands to her lips, she prayed for his recovery, for a second chance for him...

The paramedics shoved her away while they closed the door of the vehicle. there she shouted "please save him!" then they couldn't hear her anymore as the vehicles drove away one after another. what's left were only the fire fighters who put out the blaze and brought out the four charred bodies. She watched from the police vehicle as it all came to a standstill. an outing that turned to be a test of personality, an outpour of lies and dark secrets. she thought to herself if she would prefer to be fooled by everyone's pretentious smiles and live life in ignorance or learn about each other's deepest secrets and live in a vicious cycle of hatred. 

*****

Umika sat on the plane, with Hikaru by her side, and their parents behind. He still had his crutches on, but whatever relapse or pain he's suffering in ripples were nothing compared to the pain of seeing his sister's depression that made her appear weary. She had tears in her eyes since he was discharged from the hospital a week later and decided to depart from the country to escape the public outcry and media attention following the coverage of the cold-blooded murder of 4 highschoolers. In less than 24 hours after the police learn of the case, the media published nasty headlines without the understanding of the full picture. Umika closed her eyes and she saw those blunt words on the papers

  • 20 year old high school boy kills 4 friends in cold-blooded murder
  • Ryosuke, 20, found to be mentally unsound at time of murder
  • Thousands join families of victims to protest for death penalty for mentally-ill murderer
  • Lawsuit to seek compensation for victims of murder

Umika tightened her fingers on her long skirt, crushed it within as she felt an undescribable pain on her heartstrings. She couldnt help but thought if it had been better if she just left him to die in the fire, then put through such public scrutiny. Her tears rolled within her closed eyes, as images of that unforgettable moment outside the operation theatre, exactly a week ago.

There were more than usual people outside the 2 operation theatres. Umika sat nervously with her parents as Hikaru is operated on his leg. However, her nervousness wasnt about her brother but was on the operation theatre beside it. Ryosuke's parents sat outside the theatre and was unable to calm down when initially interview with her and Hikaru revealed him as the murderer. Not only so, by the time Ryosuke was wheeled into the operation hall, Umika heard that his heart has stopped several times. Bags of blood were brought in for transfusion. 

Could it be a case of timeliness, cause after almost 6 hours of operation, the 2 patients were wheeled out one after another. There was an outpour of emotions as both families crowd around the sedated Hikaru and Ryosuke. Hikaru had a thick cast on his leg, but the doctor had said it may take a few years for a complete recovery and that he's lucky that his nerves wasnt damaged in the deep stab wound. However, for Ryosuke, things didn't look bright.

Umika remembered the exact words of the doctor "His shoulder blade on the left has completely cracked. We planted a steel plate to hold his arm and shoulders but we are sorry, he wouldn't be able to move his left arms normally. and his head received quite a huge blow and his skull has cracked. We managed to remove the fragments in his brain, but he lost too much blood. He is now in coma, and we aren't sure when he will wake up. There may be side-effects, we wouldn't know until he awakens. He is still in critical condition and the first 24 hour will be crucial. THe most saddening was..

"why must he be strapped in a straight jacket?!this is for mental patients. My son is NOT!" As his parents argued, Umika was stunned by how little she can see of Ryosuke. With the straight jacket bounding him in the most discomforted way, his head was also bandaged, leaving only his eyes, nose and mouth and the skin around exposed. There were tubes inserted from his throat and nostrils.

"We're sorry. we cannot afford if he goes on a rampage when he is awakened. We have to protect others here"

Umika wanted to run towards him, hug him if she can, cause it was because of her that he incurs such damage on his body, and to protect him from the humiliation he has to endure from the discriminatory and pre-judgemental people who know nothing about the truth and about his pursuit of justice for the girl he loved. But her parents held her back. "Okasan... he saved me... let me go to him" Her parents returned a stern look, refusing to budge and at the same time, a group of enraged visitors stormed into the corridor. She feared as she recognised them. Chinen, Yuya, Haruna, Suzuka's parents were hysterically throwing objects towards the immbolised and unconscious, and shouting "BRING BACK OUR CHILDREN!"

"STOP!" she cried, she has the strong urge to blurt out everything that Ryosuke has said to her, but she recalled his last wish "keep our secrets...l-let it be buried away today"

"Stop~ he has his reasons.... please stop... he's not insane... he just didnt know how to express his love... he loved her deeply, that's all. Please" she cried as her parents pulled her away. She saw the nurses pushing his bed away from her sight, and away from the attackers. It breaks her heart to see him treated with such unjustice, especially the straight jacket which was inhumane.

While his condition has stabilised, he has yet to wake up. In the last few days, he has been transferred to the mental institute for remand and further assessment. That piece of news itself was hurtful to Umika.

"Umika~" Hikaru called out when he saw a drop of tear escaped her the corner of her eyes. She didnt turn to look at her brother. Instead, she took a deep breathe after a long deliberation and said, "niichan, arigatou for coming back to save me. I havent told you before, but niichan, although we are always bickering, I am always grateful that you are my brother."

"I am also thankful for you being my sister. If there's something I didn't do well, I want to take this opportunity to apologise," Hikaru slipped his arms over her shoulder and let her leaned on his.

"but... niichan...sorry, i wont be able to see you in the same way as before..." she said. He knew that was something bothering her since she knew about Mirai's death, and he expect this to happen soon, but he has prayed for it to delay as long as it can. however, it came sooner than he thought. She withdrew herself from his comfort, even though he kinda yearned for his tender loving care the past few days

"I have been thinking a lot these days, niichan. i think the reason this dreadful thing was allowed to escalate to this extent was because...of each of our selfish desires and self-centeredness that kept us within our boundaries, always thinking about what it is in for me, but forgot about those around us... I for one, only thought about living my life without bothering the politics around, but neglected the fact that my regard for things could have stopped certain things from happening. because of my ignorance, i have shaped the situation in a bad way. if only i was a little more concern."

"it's not your fault... you didn't know"

"no, it's because I didnt care... then Haruna and Yuya, each were selfish to think that the world revolves around them, and when things didnt turn out the way they wanted it to, they put the blame on someone else and ascertain that it was someone else who cause their lives to turn topsy turvy. it's never their fault, in other words.... and as for Suzuka, her selfish desires for her love meant that she could do anything to hurt another. to get Ryosuke's love, she went all out to harm Mirai... Chinen, was afraid of being punished or ostracised, so he kept quiet when Mirai took his blame for him. it was conveniently shoving his fault to another, since the other was willing to do so. he was afraid of being implicated, so even when he knew the truth about her death, he remained silent....and you, niichan. you too were afraid of being implicated so you didnt say anything even though you witnessed the accident. if we all had thrown away our damn dignity, desires and cared alittle more about another, then none of this would have happened. A perfectly normal, healthy guy wouldnt have been forced into a corner to do such horrifying deeds."

 "I... " Hikaru had nothing to say. Umika was right. her maturity has grown,and he was proud of his sister for seeing the light he never saw. It was true that it was each of them that transformed a kind-hearted, innocent Ryosuke into a monster. And now that he has become what everyone feared, those responsible for the change are all gone, alleviated from their own sins, leaving him alone to face his own.

"niichan... im not blaming you. in fact, i think this is part of human nature. we all deal with such things on a daily basis. Unfortunately, circumstances are that Ryosuke wasn't able to manage his emotions that he lost control of himself..."

"the truth is, I can't forgive myself entirely, and i have no rights to hate Ryosuke for what has happened. not knowing his relationship with Mirai was not the excuse for concealing the truth about her death. Ryosuke was a great companion, and one of the most sincere friend I had. i feel the lost. and sorry, Umika... i really hope you could forgive me. we can recover from the incident together," Hikaru said sincerely, with tears welled up in his eyes. Umika has never seen his brother's emotional side, but the damage was done.

Umika gave her brother a big hug, and they leaned on each other for strength, just as old times. the only difference was, this time, it was more than just for comfort. 

"I need some time, niichan... i think we all need. This is not my final stop, but my transiting flight to europe. I have told otousan and okasan. sorry for only telling you now. I will complete my studies there with my friend, Ohara-chan who helped me secure a place in their high school, and we have plans on going university there together. well, it isnt a sudden plan. Ohara and I have talked about it before, but she went ahead first, and my plans was kinda brought forward in this sense."

"Umika~ I will miss you. cant you not go?"

"niichan, i'll miss you too. i'll be back once my studies is completed.with technology, it wouldnt be difficult to keep each other updated. i really need this time alone... i hope you understand..."

They returned into each other's embrace and silent tears flowed down their eyes continously, but none let out a cry, because they wanted to leave each other with at least a smile.

*****

How many four seasons have past in these five years

A foreign environment has turned to be my greatest solace

But the pains of that day, never faded

that glare, that rhythmic breathing that sends chills down my spine, continues to haunt me at night

but that same person has occasionally visited my dreams too

the time he held onto my waist, preventing my fall

the time he helped me clean my face

the time we chat and made promises

the time we kissed

they all never failed to make my heart skip a beat.

As I sat on the plane many miles back home and looked to the fluffy clouds and to the land beneath, I thought to myself

how has Tokyo changed?

how has life back there changed?

has everyone moved on?

more importantly, i want to ask you personally, though i never know if I was prepared.

How are you, Ryosuke?

 

*********