Dad (1/2)

Dad

 

 

 

 

 

Hakyeon sighs for the umpteenth time as he read the letter in his hand.  He massages his temple as the content of the letter really makes his heart race.  He glance up at his teenage son and back to the letter.

“Hyuk.” He starts.  He put of his glasses and the letter on the table. Hakyeon straighten his back and groan as he see Sanghyuk had his legs on the coffee table and leans back comfortably while fiddling with his phone.

“Sanghyuk.” Once again, Hakyeon called his son name but ignored as always.

“Cha Sanghyuk!” this time he stood on his feet and took the phone away.  Sanghyuk hissed at him and rolled his eyes as Hakyeon cross his hand over his chest. 

“Listen, I don’t know what is wrong with you, Sanghyuk.  But this is too much! I am your dad for god sake! Can’t you at least have that courtesy and let this old man feel at peace?”

Sanghyuk rolled his eyes again but decided not to answer his father.  He imitates his father and cross his arms over his chest as well.  He glares at his father as the 43 years old man keep staring at him. He heard Hakyeon let out a soft sighs and sat on the coffee table.  He could see the trace of aging on Hakyeon face, though, he still look like not over 30.  The sun kissed skin Hakyeon have always made him looks amazing.

“Okay,” Hakyeon took a deep breath and ruffle on his hair.  He looks up to Sanghyuk and smile to his 17 years old son.

“…tell me what is wrong.  I can’t tell what’s wrong if you keep it to yourself.”

Sanghyuk huffed and sat up straight. “Nothing is wrong, dad.”

Hakyeon almost rolled his eyes at his son attitude but he decides against that. He took a deep breath and ruffles his face.  He leans forward before clicked his tongue.  He has his palm together and supports his chin with it.

“You was suspended from school is not nothing, Sanghyuk.  What have you done this time?”

Hakyeon remembered he were called to school because Sanghyuk think it is cool to talk against his teacher and just a few weeks ago he was called again because his son get into fight with a group of delinquent.

Oh, don’t take him wrong.  Hakyeon never thought Sanghyuk as a delinquent because at times the 17 years old teenage boy very obedient, he listen well, good at academic but somehow as he near to the age of 18, he begin to, how to say it, acted up? Well, it is not like Sanghyuk really listening to him but Hakyeon concluded that Sanghyuk only rebel because he divorced Sanghyuk other dad, Wonshik seven years ago.  Sanghyuk is appa boy anyway.

“I gave Mr. Kang’s car a little piece of art.”

Hakyeon swear, Sanghyuk proud of his doing.  He could see him smirk at the end of his word.  Hakyeon gap a few times.  He lost of words. 

“I’m going to hang with my friends. Bye.” Sanghyuk stood up suddenly and took his phone from Hakyeon before nonchalantly leave his father gaping and slam the door behind him.

 

 

*******

 

Hakyeon grit his teeth silently.

“Here, sign these papers and he’ll free to go.” An officer hand him paper and Hakyeon quickly sign where he required to and hand the paper back.  The officers nod his head and gesture him toward Sanghyuk.

He didn’t say anything.  Just stare at his son and examine his feature.  His cheeks blue from the bruises.  His arms bleeding from cuts.  His green sweater ripped and his jeans torn.  Without saying anything, Hakyeon turn on his heel and went to his car.  He hears lazy steps behind, a sign Sanghyuk were following.

The car ride was quiet.  Too quiet for Sanghyuk, because usually his dad would nags all night long that he thought his ears will bleed but not tonight.  He glances at Hakyeon and he could see that his father gripping on the wheel tightly.  He could see Hakyeon’s jaws moves as he grits his teeth.

As soon as they arrive home, Hakyeon were the first one to step out his car.  He closes the door and without saying anything he went inside of their house and went straight to his room.  Sanghyuk bit his own lips.  Wincing at the shot of pain on his cheeks and arms. Quickly went inside their house and lock the door.  He awkwardly stood there.  Glancing at the stair because he thought Hakyeon may waits there and decide to ambush him with his nagging but his thought was wrong and slowly he climb the stair and went to his own room.

The very next day, Sanghyuk woke up and see the first aid kit and clothed wrapped egg on his bedside table.  He tends to his wound after he cleans himself and went down to the kitchen.  He sees his dad sipping his coffee while reading his morning newspaper. He could see his bowl set on his usual seat and his favorite cereal box set neatly on the table. Awkwardly, he takes his sit and fills his bowl with his breakfast and quickly fills his growling tummy.

He was chugged down the remaining milk on his bowl when Hakyeon clear his throat and put down his newspaper.  He looks at Sanghyuk straight into his eyes.

“Why, Sanghyuk?”

Is all he asked and he had his lips on a thin line.  Disappointed clearly portrayed in his eyes.

“For fun.” Sanghyuk said nonchalantly and flinched as his dad slam his palm on the table.  His brows knitted together and his jaw stiffens.

“The you’re doing gotten into fight for fun, Cha Sanghyuk?!”

Sanghyuk perplexed because he never hear his dad swearing, no matter what problems he got into.

“That’s the point of it, dad.” But his ego won’t let him lose to his dad. 

Hakyeon stays quite but his eyes did not waver. His chest rose harshly from his anger. 

“If you have nothing to say, I’m going out.” Sanghyuk said, nonchalantly drag his chair of and put his bowl in the sink.

“No, young man, you’re not going anywhere, you’re grounded.”

“What?! No!” Sanghyuk turn to face Hakyeon but his father get back to his newspaper and ignored his rants.  Sanghyuk stomps his feet and went straight to the front door but before he could twist the knob, Hakyeon pull him by his collar.

“I said, you’re grounded!”

“No! I’m not! “He pushes Hakyeon hand off him but his dad did not waver.

“Yes you are. You’re going to listen to me.”

“I’m not going to listen to you! I’ll do whatever I want!”

“What did you said?”

“I said I’m ing do what I want!”

Hakyeon gap at vulgar words his son just spit.

“As long as you’re living in my house, you’re going to listen to what I said!”

Sanghyuk snickered. He glares up to Hakyeon.

“Maybe I never want to stay with you, did you ever know it?!”

Sanghyuk eyes begin to water though he holding back so hard.

“I want to live with Appa! Not you, dad! Or should I call you Umma? I remember calling you that.” He mocked.

Struggles. Hakyeon never was struggling this much. He’s struggling to not lift his hand and hit his son.  He clenches and unclenched his fist.

“Fine, “ Hakyeon said after he took a deep breath.

“…if that’s what you want then go ahead and live with your Appa.”

He went to dining table and took his phone and dial.  He looks back to Sanghyuk and gesture him upstairs.

“Go ahead and pack your things.”

He said before turn back and greets the receiver on the other side.

 

*******

 

Sanghyuk are busy getting his things onto his Appa jeeps with Hongbin, his Appa’s husband help but he could see his parent talked on the porch.  He sees his Dad shook his head a few times and his Appa pat on his back.

“I’m ready!” he shouts gained attention from his parent and both of them went to Wonshik jeeps with Wonshik hand wrapped around his waist.

Sanghyuk jumps at the back of the jeeps.  Ignoring his Dad attempt to hug him.  He sees his Appa shook his head and pat on the back of his Dad.

“Don’t worry I’ll take care of him.” His appa said before went to the driver side.

“Hurry up, Appa.  We don’t have all the times, aren’t we?”

He sees his Dad bit his lips, looking down to the ground and Hongbin gave his Dad a hug before he went inside and slowly the jeeps moving.  He tries to act nonchalant but somehow as he sees his Dad cover his mouth with palm, he knew his Dad is crying, a pang of guilt hit him so hard.

Because Dad never cry before.

 

 

 

A/N: They’ll be part 2. Maybe I’ll post it up after three or four days.