fin

Origami Cranes

“Please, wait a bit Taehyung.”

The said boy showed his grin at the older girl, knowing it wouldn’t take a really long time for her to actually finish his order with that experienced hands. After-all, flowers is her expertise.

“Take your time, Joohyun noona.”

Taehyung let his gaze wander around the florist shop. He had become familiar with everything about the place, even the owner, because of his constant visit. It had been three months since his first time coming there. Since then, he always comes over every weeks.

With his slender fingers, Taehyung touched one of soft-pink colored rose petal. Soon enough, rose scent embraced his smell sense, lingering around him.

“This is your bouquet, Mister.”

Taehyung chuckled as he took the bouquet from Joohyun, amused by the way she called him earlier.

“What’s with ‘Mister’.” He shook his head slightly, a grin still on his face. His hand reached the back pocket of his jeans, taking out his wallet when Joohyun suddenly stopped him.

"You don't have to pay. This one is free."

"Oh, wow." Taehyung looked at her in surprise. Even though she is kind, and she is close with him, she isn't the type to giving something freely, especially her flowers. "Something amazing happened to you?"

Joohyun diverted her gaze to red rose bushes, sighing softly. "Just realized... I miss Sooyoung so much."

She smiled bitterly as she touched the blooming petal. "I feel lonely every weekend because no one would come here with a bright smile, greeting my customers and annoy me before taking care of these roses."

Taehyung nodded slowly. It was Sooyoung who dragged him all the way to Joohyun's florist shop only to show him some flowerpots filled with blooming roses, proudly announcing that she's the one taking care of the flowers. It was Sooyoung who frowned at their White-day date, couldn't stop staring at girls who were holding a bouquet of roses in their hands, eyes burning with jealousy.

"I miss her too." was the only thing Taehyung managed to say to Joohyun.

“I know it. Now go. Send my regards to her.” The girl made a shoo-ing motion with her hands, even pushing Taehyung out slightly.

“Thanks, Noona. See you!” Taehyung waved his hand as he walked out from the florist shop.

Sighing softly, he looked at the bouquet in his hands. Joohyun didn’t change anything. The amount of red, pink and white roses, the baby’s breath, the arrangement, even the ribbon she used for tying the bouquet, everything is same as the first bouquet he bought. Taehyung brought the bouquet closer to his nose and breathed in the familiar scent.

He misses her even more.

 

--

 

After giving a few light knocks, Taehyung pushed the door open, and entered her bedroom slowly. He is really close with her family, especially her mother, so a permission to enter her room is not a really big deal. He even calls her mother with 'Mom', even though Sooyoung would stare at him in disapproval, but he knows she'd smile secretly.

With a wide smile, he approached her.

“Sooyoung!”

His smile grew bigger as he placed himself on the edge of the girl’s bed.

“Hey. Guess what, I bought you your favourite bouquet of roses. From Joohyun noona’s florist shop. She also told me to send her regards for you. She said she misses you.”

Taehyung waved the bouquet in his left hand slightly, while his right hand reached out to touch her cheek, giving it a soft caress. He examined her face features lovingly, recording everything in his mind even though he remembers every inch of her face, admiring her more than he already did.

He got up, reaching a flower vas on a nightstand beside Sooyoung’s bed.

“What is this. You don’t take care of my flowers.” Taehyung jutted out his lower lips a bit, showing a disappointed face rather jokingly. “Look, they’re dead now.”

He paused, waiting for her response, but got nothing than silence. He sighed. “Never mind. I’ll take care of this.”

The boy took a quick glance at Sooyoung, before put the withered flowers in a small trash can on the edge of her room. He headed to her bathroom,  cleaning the vas and filled it with new water. He walked back to her nightstand, putting his bouquet in the vas. He also walked over to her room’s window, drew the curtain, letting the sunshine through it.

“This felt a lot like you, isn’t it? My sunshine.” Taehyung looked over to Sooyoung. He smiled, and sat back on the edge of her bed. “Sleepy-head. I’ll wait until you wake up, then.”

He stuck some strands of her hair behind her ear, and gave her forehead a soft kiss. He watched as her chest move slowly following her soft breaths.

"Taehyuuuung. Good moooorning!" Sooyoung's kid-like voice blasted in Taehyung's ear. He knew she just practically screamed some centimetres away from his ear, making it hurt and throbbing slightly, but he decided to play along and a bit. He stayed still, and tried to keep his breathing constant like he was actually sleeping.

"Kim Taehyung. Wake up. Don't you want to see sunshine?"

You are the sunshine, Taehyung thought. Her voice heard a bit distant and he guessed she stood next to the window, right just before he heard his room's curtain being drawn forcefully and some ray of sun shine hit her eyes.

He chewed his inner cheek, trying so hard to bite back his laughter. He could hear footsteps getting closer to him. Out of his expectation, he felt his bed sunk slightly as another weight added on it. He kept his eyes shut, wondering what would Sooyoung do.

"Sleepy-head. Wake up now."

Taehyung swore his heart skipped a beat. He could feel Sooyoung's breath on his face as she whispered earlier, before he felt his body pressed down.

Did Sooyoung just lay on top of me?

He played cool, putting on a smirk and opened his eyes, found Sooyoung staring closely to him.

"Are you asking for that in the morning?" Taehyung asked teasingly, one of his eyebrows was lifted.

"That... that what?!" Sooyoung's cheeks flushed red and she placed her hands beside Taehyung's arms, supporting her body to get up just in time Taehyung caught her by her waist.

"You know that." Taehyung winked. He had to bite his lower lips when Sooyoung's eyes widened, staring at him in disbelief.

"ert! erted alien! Let me go!" Sooyoung cried out, and he couldn't hold his laughter any longer. He laughed joyfully, arms still wrapped around the girl's waist but he rolled, made her lay by his side.

"Just kidding sunshine. Good morning. Can't you let me sleep a bit longer?" Taehyung hugged her tightly, his lips found the crown of her head, her nose inhaling her soft rose-like scent.

It didn't need a long time for Sooyoung's hand to finally embrace him, rubbing his back softly.

"Sleepy-head. I'll wait until you wake up then."

Taehyung took a glance at Sooyoung's peaceful face, and he smiled, almost bitterly. “Ah. You know I can’t stay still like this.” He said, faking a whining voice.

He touched some packs of origami papers inside the pocket of his jacket, then took them out.

Taehyung stared at Sooyoung for a while, before moving to her studying desk. He took out the origami papers and started folding them into paper cranes, patiently, one by one, carefully mentioning his one long wish in his mind.

 

--

 

Sooyoung's room wasn't as bright as before. Taehyung turned his head to the window, and realized it was almost dark. He stood up, his body felt stiff and hurt at some part because he didn't move in hours.

Origami cranes were scattered everywhere. He absentmindedly threw the cranes on the floor when Sooyoung's study desk was too full with things on it. Yet he wasn't sure if they were already a thousand origami cranes, hundred even. 

He sighed softly and walked to her window, careful not to step on a crane.

It was raining outside, and Taehyung didn't even notice the drumming sounds of water hitting the roof. The sky was complete gray, everything outside was drenched. A lightning flashed from afar, and he protectively looked at Sooyoung, knowing the girl was afraid of thunder.

But Sooyoung stayed still. She didn't jump in fear when Taehyung clearly heard the thunder growling. She didn't even flinch. She was just lying there like that, in same exact position when Taehyung first came in the morning.

The boy clenched his fist, taking a deep breath before quickly walk back to Sooyoung's study desk, folding more origami cranes, more determined than ever. He had to have a thousand origami cranes no matter how. Sooyoung had to wake up. He had to see her sparkling eyes. He had to see her bright smile.

A tear managed to escape his left eye, but he wiped it harshly. There's no way he would cry, there, in front of Sooyoung.

A knock heard on the door, and Taehyung wasn't prepared to meet anyone at the moment, especially Sooyoung's mother.

“Taehyung? I need to clean Sooyoung’s body now. I’ll get in.”

He took a glance at the origami cranes on the floor, but didn’t do anything with them.

The door slowly opened, revealing Sooyoung's mother with a basin and some towels in her hand. The middle-aged woman landed her gaze on Taehyung, on origami papers, and back at him. The boy hung his head low, unable to continue the paper in his hands.

“Taehyung...” Sooyoung’s mother called him softly. He could feel her walking closer to him, and he couldn’t hold back his tears anymore. He broke down in front of his girl’s mom.

“Taehyung.” Her mother rushed over to him, quickly putting the towels on her bed and rubbing his shoulder encouragingly.

“I’m sorry.” He apologized for practically nothing.

Maybe because he is tired. Tired of putting strong appearance, while inside he is dying slowly. Tired of smiling, when he knows his girl is suffering. Tired of convincing everyone, and himself, that someday Sooyoung will wake up. Tired of waiting.

Taehyung tried to stop crying, but instead, he choked on his own sob. Sooyoung’s mother wrapped her warm hands around the boy, pulling him in a motherly hug. Slowly, he could feel his shoulders getting wet. Her mother cried, too.

“They say a thousand origami cranes can grant a wish. Even bring luck and long age. That’s why I—“ His words trailed off. He wiped his tears roughly. “I shouldn’t be like this. Sooyoung will be disappointed.”

Her mother held his hands, shaking her head slowly.

“No. It’s okay. There are times when I feel like this too, when I’m tired, when I think I want to give up. I desperately want her to wake up, but I can do nothing.” She smiled bitterly. “But then, Sooyoung’s smile would always appear in my mind. Her laugh. Her everything. So I have to keep strong.”

Taehyung sighed, letting her mother’s words get into his mind. He stared at his girlfriend, looked so peaceful even with oxygen mask on her face and IV stuck on her hand.

“I love Sooyoung so much.” Taehyung muttered. Her mother nodded understandingly, because she knows. Because she loves her daughter more than anyone do.

“She will wake up from her long sleep.” Sooyoung’s mother said softly.

And there, they silently cried together, wishing one thing in mind.

I hope Sooyoung will wake up soon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So here it is. I didn't plan to make an angst but huhu. My fingers did it. Tell me what you think. Thanks for reading and subscribing and upvoting <3