Occupation

Damage Control

 

 

Occupation

 


Ignoring the giant hound bounding around in excitement, the pair advanced to the kitchen space facing the wall of windows at the back of the space. Dropping his belongings on the L-shaped sofa, JinHwan hopped up onto one of the high stools at the kitchen island.

“Tell me what’s wrong, Danni.” He asked, ignoring the formalities of the fact there was three years difference in their age.

Taking the pack of cigarettes from her pocket, the blonde snatched a stick from the box. Bringing the vice up to chapped lips, she shook her head in despair. “JiWon is an idiot.”

“We’ve known that all along.” The guests shrugged, not seeing how it was different from any other day. “What’s gotten you so worked up?”

“They’re all laughing and joking now,” she pulled the white stick from her lips in irritation. Holding it between her fingers, she pointed at the wall that separated them from the rowdy bunch next door with a hiss. “but none of them have any idea what it’s like to look after a baby full-time.”

Tilting his head in thought, he watched the home owner pace back and forth. “But you do.” He reminded, only to have the blonde shoot him a warning glare.

“Are you expecting me to play Ajumma?” Her eyes shot open wide. “That,” she pointed again, this time with a sort of bitterness. “that is not my responsibility.”

Small smile tugging at full lips, the brunet hummed lightly. “Then why did you come back here?” Reaching forward and underneath the counter, he snagged two glasses from the open shelf.

“What are you trying to get at?”

“No matter how much you say people should either look after themselves or live a simple life within their means, it doesn’t change anything.” Gesturing at the glass desk facing the patio doors, JinHwan shrugged. “You know, we are your friends. You don't have to hide the fact you take care of us. Showing your generosity won’t prompt any of us to take advantage of it.”

Recoiling at the fact she’d been found out without so much of a word from herself, DaIn gave in with a sigh. Finally lighting the end of her vice, the home owner shuffled over to the sofa and took a seat on the edge, facing her guest, yet not looking him in the eye. Kicking her feet up on the cushioned puffy, the woman craned her neck back. “You really suit your job.”

Sliding off of the stool, JinHwan moved to the couch with the glasses. “Besides looking after people, there isn’t much I know how to do.”

Peeking out of her right eye, the blonde grumbled in disagreement. “You can cook, clean, and you never mix up coloured laundry.”

“Maybe you should marry me, and then I can be your wife.”

Choking on laughter at the unexpected dry remark, DaIn flopped to the side. Propping herself up on the arm of the sofa, she gazed at her company. Enamoured by his mere presence, she relaxed. Melting into the comfort of her personal haven, the blonde flicked the ash of her cigarette into the glass tray held up by the side-table beside her. “Stop charming me, and pour the drinks already.”

Doing as he was told, JinHwan took the bottle from the bag he had brought with him and began pouring. Holding out the poison, he grinned when their eyes met. “You find me charming?” He pulled the drink back playfully when all he received was a raised brow.

“You know I do,” Lurching to her right, she grabbed the floating temptation. “now let me get wasted.” Pulling the booze from her company’s loose grip, the home owner nestled into the angular corner.

Examining his hostess, the brunet dared to take the conversation to a more serious place. “Does this situation bother you that much?”

Thinking it over, more than she had initially planned to, DaIn turned her head away as soon as she stole the drink back. Downing the offset of her intoxication, the blonde pulled a face that said she couldn’t care less. “I’m gonna need more than one shot to talk about my past so freely; you should already know that.” She dropped the tumbler down on the glass coffee table with a threatening clank.

Without a prompt, JinHwan knew better than to let that specific woman get ahead of him. Chugging his share with the offset of grimace, the brunet hissed at the burn coating the inside of his throat before pouring another round. “I have tomorrow off.”

“Then I’d better write that check before I can’t even do my own signature.” Humming to herself, the blonde forced herself to stand up.

“How much are you giving him?” The brunet asked just as there was a knock at the door. “I’ll get it-”

“No!” Pushing her dog out of the way, the blonde leapt over the sofa-back and carefully advanced for the barrier after a brief stumble. “I’ll get it.” Sneaking a peek through the spy-hole, the woman’s shoulders dropped. Unflicking the latch, she pulled the door open to become faced with DongHyuk.

Hands clasped neatly behind his back, the interruption smiled brightly. “Sorry to bother you, Noona, but I was sent to see if you were alright.”

Rolling her eyes at the gesture, the blonde scooped her hand, telling him to come inside. “You were waiting for my donation, right?” She saw right through the deed, and his act. “How much have you scraped together?”

Shaking his hands in panic, the younger man closed the barrier behind him with his foot. “No, really. KiSe Noona was worried by how long you were taking.”

“Tell KiSe Noona to worry about herself.” Her tone came out harsh without intention. Making it across the stylized space and to her desk by the patio doors, the eldest urged her newest guest. “Now, how much?”

“Just short of ₩100,000 from the guys, and JiWon Hyung has ₩171,433 in his account.”

Standing up, JinHwan held out a wad of notes. “This is all I have on me.”

Listening to the conversation behind her, DaIn opened the filing cabinet door beside her. Scribbling in a narrow booklet, the blonde marked the digits to perfection before scrolling her sign. Tearing the top page off, she turned around to face her guests, or more specifically, the man who’d helped her start her bender. “Let’s at least spend some time there first.”

Upon hearing that, DongHyuk folded over and held out JinHwan’s money with both hands. Taking the returned cash, the shorter man patted between his friend’s shoulder blades. “How’s work been?” The older male started while the female took an envelope from the stop of pile stacked above her cabinet. Finishing voluting the name of the recipicant down on the front of the white envelope, she slipped the check inside and slotted the fold in after it.

Moving across the space, DaIn collected her smokes from the sideboard and then clicked her fingers at her pet. “Let’s go.” Filing out of the door, DongHyuk walked ahead with the giant black and tan dog. Still having the apartment keys, JinHwan looked up. Turning his face up to see the woman staring at him, the brunet blinked in surprise at the close proximity. “A-are you okay?”

Ashen skin turned red, the blonde bumped into the door frame. Putting her face even closer, the woman whispered. “I took JiWon’s bourbon into the shower when nobody was looking.” Swallowing to moisten , she continued in her low tone. “When you were talking to DongHyuk, I also chugged the soju I hide in the top drawer - I think I’ve just topped up.”

“You’re wasted?” Her company seemed somewhat surprised.

Waving her hand as she wobbled her head, DaIn brushed the statement off. “I was still damp when I rushed over there this morning.”

“How much did you write that check for?”

Pulling back, the blonde frowned. Any kind of childishness brightening her features was instantly replaced by a stoic stare. “Really? You’re really asking me if the amount I give is equal to my state of mind after saying what you just di-”

“That’s not what I meant.” Finishing locking the door quickly, JinHwan spun around and reached out to make contact. “I just don’t want you to realize you’re short on payments by the end of the month.”

Yanking her shoulder back, the blonde sneered. “Jesus in’ Christ, JinHwan. What a way to destroy the mood.” Turning back just before making it to the next door along, DaIn narrowed her eyes in contention. “If I’m short, all I have to do if screw more guys. You know that,” Lowering her face to his, she shoved her company back by his shoulder. “right? Hopefully, you haven’t forgot that’s my job. Y’know, that thing that you all pretend isn’t happening, but still benefit from when one of you if in trouble because you’re short on money.” Pushing the door open, she gave him no chance to argue. She knew him, of all people, would not bring up the subject of her occupation in front of everybody - even though they all knew about it anyway.

Wagging her finger at JiWon, DaIn walked down the limited hallway without waiting for any kind of communication from anyone else. Venturing to the shoebox room lined with clothes on hangers, the blonde inched to the left of the doorway to let her company squeeze in. “Sit down.” She told before shutting the door behind him.

Resting his rear on the edge of his single bed, the man in a terrible spot avoided eye contact.

“Have you decided on what you’re going to do?” She stared down at him, but he just remained still, his elbows on his knees and his posture scrunched, as if he was about to be scolded.

“Just look at him; He’s my son.”

“Do you think you’re prepared for what comes next?”

“I will die before anyone tries to take him from me.” Feeling a strange emotion wash upon her, DaIn took a step forward and cradled the back of his neck. Resting his head on her chest, the boy croaked. “What if I’m not good enough to bring him up right?”

the shaved back of his head, the blonde found herself solidifying her own resolution. “I’m not sure whether you should be glad you have six crazy uncles and two tough aunties ready to help you fight for him.”

Gently easing his head back, the woman dropped her hand to his shoulder as he looked up at her. “I don’t know how to raise a child, Noona,” Tears b in his eyes, the young man stared up with conviction. “so please help me.”

Having enough of the mushy stuff, DaIn bopped her company on the head lightly. Knot in her chest, she tried to wave him off with her free hand. “I’ll write a list of the stuff you need.” turning around, she opened the fold-up door. “You can offload your stress on me, or tell me any of your problems, JiWon, but don’t ever tell me it’s too hard, or that you’re quitting.” Holding a white slip up, the older woman extended it towards the boy. “Don’t make the same mistakes I did.” Waiting until he had accepted the envelope with both hands, DaIn exited the confined room.

Walking into the open space filled with light banter, the blonde put on her best ‘Noona Expression’. Murky glow casting through the patio doors, DaIn glanced to KiSe with a knowing look. “Someone grab some paper and a pen.” Rushing straight for the desk at the far end of the space, ChanWoo took a seat on the worn-in swivel chair. “You’re gonna need milk, diapers, wipes, baby shampoo, a couple of pacifi...” The eldest’s words seemed to trail off as the list grew beyond what anybody expected. “ChanWoo and JinHwan will watch the baby, while YunHyeon and I make dinner.” Rubbing the side of her face with one hand, she pointed at the aforementioned people as she went. “The rest of you can go and get what’s on the list before the store closes.” The woman's eyes met JinHwan's for a split second and when she averted her gaze, they met JunHoes. God, she wanted the day to be over already.

“Where do we even get this stuff?”

 

 


 

Updated: 13th October 2015 - 18:40

Updated: 25th March 2019 - 18:00