Advice

Damage Control

 

Advice

 

14:37

All Hell had broken lose.
Whoever’s idea it was to gather everyone together and break the news at once should be smacked in the mouth, DaIn thought from the safety of the balcony.


HanBin kept moving from one side of the room to the other whilst YunHyeong waved a rattle over his head and DongHyuk whined at the boy keeping the child out of harm’s way for the chance to ‘have a go’. ChanWoo had just arrived but paused mid-way through his greeting when JunHoe screamed from the opposite end of the room that said prize was in desperate need of a diaper change. Banging was coming from next door and any other night, the occupants would grumble a joke over not getting lucky - but the fact KiSe’s shrill lecture could be heard even above the incessant yapping of the eldest’s dog meant that JiWon definitely wasn’t having as much fun as usual.

Confusion masking his features, ChanWoon searched for someone that actually had control of their own mind. Catching the woman stood outside on the veranda, he guessed she would have to do - although he’d never pin her for anything close to sane. Rushing over, he folded in half with a bow. “Noona,” He paused when she acknowledged him with a grunt and greeted her quickly. “What’s going on?”

Flicking her ash whilst keeping her eyes on the idiot trio on the verge of juggling the infant, and JunHoe threatening to put his own head in the microwave, DaIn hummed at the newest addition without so much as a glance. “JiWon was left a gift last night.” She pointed at the little boy just starting to scrunch his features.

“Is this a pran-” ChanWoo’s words were cut off by four sets of girlish screams. Prompted to spin around to see what the fuss was about, the youngest was faced with three of his Hyung’s dowsed in gloopy, white sick.

“Oh my God, YunHyeong; that was your fault!”

“You were the one spinning him!”

“I was turning around so he didn’t have to look at your stupid face.”

“That ing stinks!” Gagging, JunHoe heaved over the sink. “I can smell it from over here.”

Turning back to look at the woman, ChanWoo inspected her expression for some kind of leaderly advice but all she did was sneer. “Serves ‘em right.”

“If he belongs to JiWon Hyung, where is he?” As if on cue, the front door opened to reveal a tall redhead.

Marching straight inside, the woman pointed at the sofa. “Sit down.”

“But I’m covered in sick.”

“This is so gross.”

“I refuse. It stinks.”

Sit the down, right now.” The tallest woman snarled, and just like that, the seven boys scrambled over towards the couch. Making for the fridge, the redhead yanked open the door.

Glancing from the puke covered slaves, and to her friend, DaIn checked the digital clock on the mantle reading 14:55. Making her way over to her friend, the blonde leaned against the counter with her left hip and elbow. “What are you going to do?”

Hiding her face with the fridge door on one side, and her upraised arm grasping the top of the appliance on the other side, the redhead mulled over her thoughts.

“We both knew something like this was going to happen at one point or another.” The blonde avoided eye contacted as she tried to smooth over the the situation.

“Why are you forgiving him so easily?”

“I never said I forgive him.” The older female itched her right brow with her ring finger, ashamed she had no better way to help than to be the mediator. “But you know as well as I do what it’s like for a single parent to try and raise a child.”

“He’s too young to do this.”

“You can’t make that decision for him.”

“Whose side are you on? You’re supposed to be my best friend.”

“That’s why I’m telling you to let him make his own choices.”

“Don’t bull me right now.”

“Would you give up your kid if you thought he wouldn’t like it?”

“Don’t twist this to make it my fault.”

“I know how you get. You can’t let things go; you take it personally, and then get a one track mind concerning payback.”

“I love him.”

“I know you do. Everyone does.” Glancing past the obstruction, the blonde peered back to her friend and lowered her voice. “And he loves you, but if you make him give up his son, that won't be the case for long.”

“Why do you have to make so much sense?”

“If you’re going to keep the fridge open, can you at lease pass me a drink?” A gritty call came from the sitting room.

Peeking her head around the door, the blonde scowled. “Keep your trap shut before I put you on peeling duty for the week.” Reigning her head back into the cool confines of the appliance, the blonde her friend’s hair back off of her face. “Just because he made a mistake doesn’t mean that he doesn’t care about you. Because he really does. He was so scared to face you.”

“I don’t know what to do.”

“Neither does he. He isn’t even twenty years old, and he’s been conned into either accepting his responsibilities and having the woman he loves hate him, or abandoning his son and feeling that for the rest of his life.”

“What would you do, in my position?”

“I can’t tell you what to do.”

“I’ll have a vitamin drink, if you’re not too busy.” The same rough tone resounded.

Reaching inside the bright white space, the blonde plucked up the first bottle she came to. Pulling her arm back as if she was making the first pitch at a baseball game, DaIn launched the object at her interruption. “Shut.Up.

Hitting the mark square in the face, JunHoe lurched forward in pain.

“I’m sure you two are into S&M.” The redhead joked in temporary ignorance.

“There is no such thing as ‘us two’.” The eldest made it quite clear by her scowl and grit teeth.

Quirking her perfectly done brow, KiSe hummed with puckered lips. “Hm, sure.” Wetting rouged lips, the taller woman turned away only to pause. “You’ve given me some advice, so let me give you some too: Stop lying to yourself.” Closing the fridge door, the redhead returned to the group.

Being left by herself in the kitchen area, DaIn watched her friend’s back as it forced a relaxed stance in front of the others. She had been KiSe’s best friend for over fifteen years. The redhead had been the only one to be kind to her when she arrived in their neighbourhood way back when DaIn was nothing but a stupid foreigner. She was the only true female friend she had ever had, and the only person she could say, “Yeah,  you do look fat in that dress” to without them hating each other for it. They shared all of the things which should be secrets, and they kept each other in line, even if they didn’t like to admit it. DaIn just hoped that her ‘advice’ wouldn’t be the thing to bring her overly proud friend down to her knees later on.

“Around 25,000 Won, from each of you should be enough to start.” KiSe nodded to herself and the others went about digging through their wallets without any thought.

Placing her cup down on the slim island counter, the blonde cleared . “I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Without looking at the group, the eldest dashed out of the front door.

Watching the door click shut without any explanation, ChanWoo looked to the others. “What’s wrong with Noona?”

Hardened expression masking his features, JunHoe snarked. “Hormonal issues, probably.”

“Why are men such idiots?”

“Where is JinHwan?”

“He text me before.” Checking the time, JiWon hummed. “He said he was going to be a little late, but he should be here soon.”


15:20

Fighting with the bust lock of her front door, DaIn hissed and kicked at the solid frame. Fire-doors creaking open behind her, a shorter brunet panted with a smile. Instantly gauging that the woman was not alright, the man advanced carefully. “What’s wrong?”

Easing against the frame of her doorway, the blonde tried to take a deep breath. “JiWon is a father, my best friend is heartbroken, everyone else is an idiot, and I don’t know what to do.”

“Good job I brought you favourite, then.” He held up a clanking plastic bag. Moving her hand aside, he calmly turned the key stuck in the lock. “Let’s go in.” He nodded his head and urged the woman inside her own apartment.

 


 

Updated:  14th July 2015 -23:30

Updated: 25th March 2019 - 17:30