[R} KillerGal

Ampersand Ads & Reviews [CLOSED]

Black Rose

 

Note: this review is one big mess because I really liked your fic. And I still don't know how to organize things. anyway...

 

I absolutely love your writing style and as I read on, I was amazed at some parts (I was reading it during class, and I couldn't control the random noises I was making lol), but I didn't like the foreword. And if I wasn't reviewing this, there would've been a small chance for me to keep reading. The rhetorical question was kind of "eh" for me. Using "you" in writing isn't very formal. I would also suggest using "they are" instead of "they're." But honestly, I think it would be best if you get rid of the first line entirely and just start with "What the heart desires." It fits the style and tone of your fic more.

 

There were some metaphor/symbolic things that I couldn't really understand. I'm sure you have explanations though.

His fascination with roses and his hatred for its thorns is so very conflicting.

think the thorns are the people close to the girl, but I'm not sure? And I feel that him liking roses but not thorns isn't that conflicting. It's actually quite normal.

 

Lu Han wonders if a broken heart can still break, when he sees the disappointment in her soulful eyes.

Lu Han can never understand but all wishes to comprehend ends the moment he sees her tears and hears her sobs.

I'm probably missing something, but I don't understand how Luhan really feels. Is he sad that she's disappointed and hurting?

 

But all ballerinas are beautifully tragic

How are ballerinas beautifully tragic though?

 

Some lines/parts that I really love

He sees too much, and thus, he feels. He feels the broken pieces of his heart stab through his lungs. The pain intensifies with each choked breath he inhales. Lu Han feels for the first time and he feels pain.

This is so beautiful T_T

What sweeping insensitivity and inconsideration, Lu Han thinks, how can they compare a magnificent artwork to some petty death caused by a stupid robber?

I haven't taken a lit class in five months and I've already forgotten all of my literary terms and devices. Oh well, but this line made me chuckle.

I love the parallelism between "It is all teeth and teeth and teeth ... " and "It is all screams and screams and screams ... "

And also the two paragraphs describing 2am and 3am.. I just.. it's so good and thought-provoking and pretty 

 

Grammar

 

There weren't any major problems, so these might just be typos.

He abhor thorns --> abhors

Thorns by thorns --> thorn by thorn

his master piece --> masterpiece

 

Misc.

 

Plump lips moulding into softer ones.

Is there a better word than "softer" that you can use? "Softer" doesn't feel enough.

 

The Chinese man

I wish you can find a different adjective. It wasn't mentioned anywhere before that he's Chinese and this detail doesn't add anything. In fact, it takes away from the moment, for me. (You also do this in Perfection, calling Kai the Korean artist, and it felt weird too.) I think it would be better to only use these descriptions when you're writing about Luhan and Jongin, for example, and you want to differentiate between them.

 

Overall, there isn't much to say. Obviously we don't get to learn much about anyone other than Luhan, and it's enough. You describe him very nicely and the length of the fic is good too. Any longer, it would probably feel too dragged out.

 


 

I hope this review helped!

Please comment after reading.

I'll start with your other story now~