Duties

Unbound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Auriella I don’t want you to have anything to do with these men!” Aerin exclaimed as he pulled me outside before I was to go to bed.

“Aerin, I know you are weary of them and I get it I am too. Their intentions here were described very vaguely but from what Kris has told me I feel like if I don’t help them it would be something I regret for the rest of my life,” I sighed as I looked back at the house and then to him once more.

“We are to be married in less than three months…” he said whispered softly before meeting my eyes “You have a duty to us. I will seem like a complete incompetent to my tribe and not to mention my father if I just let you go gallivanting around the country with a group of complete strangers who happen to be all men!”

“I know….You and I have known each other for years and I understand that this is being forced upon us of course you being a bit more compliant than I am but I wouldn’t betray you. Our duty to the tribe is something I have set my life on all I am asking is for a little time. Just let me help these men and I will come back to you for the tribe,” I pleaded and gently squeezed his hand hoping I had convinced him somehow.

Ever since I was little I had known that I would marry Aerin and although he and I are not the closest of people I still feel we have a silent understanding with one another.

“I will speak with my father about this when I get home. Auriella if he lets you go you have to come back to me…” his voice was shaky as he raked a hand through his raven colored hair “I don’t think I can do this alone…”

“I promise,” I smiled and hugged him gently.

He may annoy me but deep down he was not a bad person. I could tell him being chief scared him beyond belief and he truly needed me. He did not believe that he could run the tribe solely by himself with only the advice of the tribe elders.

“I will come back,” I stared back at the house over his shoulder and saw one of the boys from exo staring at us in shock.

I don’t know what exactly they have planned for me but I was eager to find out.

Kris

 Despite feeling exhausted I couldn’t bring myself to fall asleep. Call it nerves but I felt like fire was running through my veins. Of course it didn’t hurt in a painful manner but more of a warming sensation. Drowsily I glanced out the window at the peach colored sky signaling the beginning of a new day. As cautiously as I could I slipped out of bed and walked out of the room hoping not to wake my brothers. The smell of fresh bread and cinnamon hung in the air making my mouth water and it only got stronger as I approached the kitchen.

Slowly I peeked in the door way and watched as Auriella’s mother flitted about the kitchen preparing breakfast. Everything smelled delicious but it all looked so foreign.

“If you’re going to just stand there why don’t you make yourself useful and go wake Auriella up,” her sweet voice broke my concentration and I looked up to see her smiling at me warmly.

“Yes, ma’am,” I smiled and just before walking down the hall way I turned back and entered the kitchen again “I just wanted to thank you for everything you’re doing for my brothers and I. We appreciate it more than you could imagine especially when you are being so open to the reason why we are here,”

“Kris, am I right?” she inquired and I nodded “My grandmother used to tell me all kinds of stories about our homeland and how she had heard about dragons conquering the skies. She was a firm believer that one day we would see such things again. Well, after hearing this news of Auriella’s gift I believe my grandmother may just end up being right after all these years. I really admire what you are setting out to do. Your brothers told me about Taura and your life with her but I just want you to know Auriella is different. She will fight for whatever she believes in despite the consequences and make sure her efforts do not die in vain. I guess what I am saying is I hope you all will believe in her as I do,”

She smiled fondly as she thought about her daughter and suddenly her happy demeanor fell.

“Kris, I cannot promise you she can go out adventuring and saving the world but if you want to buy her and your brothers some time to train and do what needs to be done I suggest you speak with the tribe elders,” she sighed and dusted her flour covered hands on her smock.

“You are her mother can’t you decide what she is and isn’t allowed to do?” I raised an eye brow as she shook her head gently.

“The tribe elders have had control of her life since she was born practically. They claimed that the stars were aligned perfectly the night she was born and chose to be Aerin’s wife since he was to be the next chief he too was only a baby at the time,” she smiled remorsefully and cleared “He is a nice boy and takes care of her well so I’m not as opposed as I used to be. I was never fond of a group of grouchy old men determining the fate of my child, but as my standing as a woman my opinion means nothing,”

I shook my head in disappointment. Ever since I was young I knew mortals had always put men above women but I never realized how serious it was. It disgusts me to know that a mother couldn’t even raise her own child the way she wanted to because ever decision was made for her.

“What did your husband say about this?” I asked as she scoffed.

“I love my husband with all my heart but he is very loyal to the tribe and our heritage. Not to mention his deceased father was the highest ranking elder when the decision was made,” she replied as she began putting some fresh apples into a bowl.

“What about grandfather?” an airy voice echoed from the door way taking me by surprise and I looked over my shoulders to find a sleepy Auriella leaning against the door frame.

“I was just telling Kris about the tribe and he was going to wake you up but I guess there’s no need,” she smiled as she set down a bowl and walked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter