Family

Love's Silent Chimes

Key's POV
 
The atmosphere outside the operating room in the hospital was immensely tense. No one spoke a word as they waited. There was an eerie silence that hung in the air, clawing additonally at the tense atmosphere. Key could almost hear the loud thumping of his heart. He turned to face Jonghyun, a mix of fear and worry in his eyes.
 
When Jonghyun caught Key's distraught look, he felt his heart wrench apart in him. As much as Key had annoyed him at times, he hated to see him like this. The younger's face was now tear-stained from all the crying,and his lips were quivering.
 
"Shhh... Baby shh... Please don't cry... Please don't..." he whispered as he pulled the younger boy in for a hug, pushing his face into his chest. "Seeing you cry breaks my heart."
 
Key didn't return the hug. He stood still, arms hung limply by his side, letting the older hold him together, to keep him from falling apart, to keep him from breaking...
 
He then peered at Onew from the corner of his eyes. The boy had his eyes closed as he leaned against the hospital walls, a pained look gracing his face.
 
He's hurting too, isn’t he, Key thought. Taemin, Minho, why must you both always keep us worrying?
 
He buried his face deeper into Jonghyun's chest, letting a couple more tears slid down his cheeks.
 
Please...please... just let them be okay...
 
Just then, the doors of the operation room burst open as a surgeon walked out. The three boys dashed towards him immediately, clinging on to that little faith they had in their hearts, desperately praying the words that came out of the surgeon's mouth to be merciful.
 
 "The operation had gone really well for Taemin. He had suffered a few minor injuries and will come to consciousness pretty soon." A faint smile played across his lips as he spoke again, "He's a really strong boy."
 
Key let out a sigh of relief.
 
His Taeminnie was okay...Thank god... Thank you...
 
Then, his eyes shot wide open when he remembered Minho.
 
"Wha-what about Minho?" Key enquired, his voice shaking. “He’s okay too, isn't he..." His voice trailed off, barely a whisper now. He suddenly wanted to break down all over again. Minho had better be alright. He then felt Jonghyun gave his hands a little reassuring squeeze, and part of his fears slipped away.
 
He'll be okay... He's going to be okay...
 
Key watched tentatively as the surgeon pushed his spectacles up the bridge of his crooked nose.
 
Wait, was that sympathy crossing his face?
 
Clearing his throat nervously, the surgeon spoke, “As for Minho, he’d suffered a few major injuries and has now entered a coma. He's rather lucky though. Many wouldn't have pulled through, considering the amount of blood lost. It's a miracle that he survives."
 
"Miracle? Co-coma?" Key thought, his mind still processing the information the surgeon just gave. "Ho..how long?"
 
"Well, no one knows for sure. For the lucky ones, probably a few days,  or a few months. Some might even last for years." Then the surgeon hesitated. "But there are also cases of patients never waking up. And those cases are... somewhat similar to Minho's, I'm afraid to say." An apologetic look crossed his features as he swallowed, "I'm sorry to say this, but the chances of Minho waking up is quite minimal."
 
Wh-what?
 
Never waking up?
 
Chances...minimal?
 
Key let the words sink into his confused mind. Then, he exploded.
 
"NEVER WAKEUP?! WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT?! ISN'T THAT SIMILAR TO DEATH?" He screamed and lunged forward to grab the surgeon's arm, an endless stream of tears flowing down his face.
 
"KEY! PLEASE STOP!" Alarmed, Jonghyun hastily grabbed Key by his arms, pulling him away from the solemn surgeon.
 
"I'm really sorry about this doctor," Jonghyun apologised as he struggled to keep the hysterical Key away from the surgeon.
 
"It's okay...it's okay... I understand..." The surgeon recollected himself. "You guys may go in to visit them now." He made a slight bow, before scurrying away from the boys.
 
" WHAT DO YOU UNDERSTAND?WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT MINHO?! WHAT'S THE POINT OF LIVING IF YOU'RE FOREVER ASLEEP?WHA- "
 
"KEY! PLEASE!" Jonghyun screamed, shaking the bewildered boy, tears glistening in his eyes. "Please..."
 
Key stopped struggling finally. He stared at both boys in front of him, searching for some sort of answers on their faces.
 
Is this all real? Minho in a coma? Never waking up?
 
His heart shattered when saw sparkling tears circling in their eyes, threatening to fall anytime soon. It made him realised that he was not the only one grieving; he was not the only one in pain. Minho was their friend as well. They both were suffering a heartache as well. A harsh reality started setting in his heart.
 
Oh my god... This is real...He might never wake up...
 
Key felt his entire world crumbling down upon him. His knees buckled beneath him and before he knew it, he had already sunk onto the cold, hard ground, heartrenching sobs wracking his trembling body.
 
Everything around him slowed. Everything felt surreal. His vision was blurred by his flowing tears, he couldn't hear Jonghyun's and Onew's sobbing pleas for him to get up, he couldn't feel Jonghyun pulling him to get up, he couldn't feel anything.
 
He felt so numb.
 
All he thought of was Minho, the times he spent with this boy. He thought about how he met Minho in Kindergarten, how the five boys all met in Kindergarten, and the strong bond that they’ve fostered over the years. This five boys; they were basically a family. They shared a lovely little warm apartment, where they live, laugh, and cry together.

Why must they be torn apart like this? Why was life so cruel?

An indescribable pain shot through Key's heart as he suddenly thought about how Taemin will react to all these when he awakes.
 
Will this accident scar him for life?
 
Will he be able to handle the fact that Minho might never wake up?
 
Will he be able to get on with life?
 
What if it had been Jonghyun that was in the coma?

He could never handle all these pain...

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Hey guys! So was this chapter? Hope it wasn't too saddening. Actually, I've initially planned for Minho to die here, but I guess you guys wouldn't like it that much, so hope this is okay! ^^ And thank you to those who have commented and subscribed to this story! They really make me smile! <3