I'll Wear a Bandage, My Dear (Don't You Worry about My Wound)

A Roommate for the Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You said yes.”

 

--

 

Her touch tonight was different.

 

Then again, she might have mistaken. It’s been a year anyway; Joohyun could’ve forgotten what it’s like to be held by Son Seungwan. Or so Joohyun had been telling herself for the past hour.

 

The room was quiet, except for the slow breathing behind her back, soft yet audible.

 

They were in that hotel room again, just the two of them, just like what they promised two years earlier. To celebrate what, neither ever decided, yet they still found their way there like they did the previous year.

 

(Still found their way to each other.)

 

“You said yes,” Joohyun heard herself responding.

 

Seungwan hummed against her shoulder, tickling her sensitive skin awake. “She went first; I’m going with the earliest flight tomorrow morning.”

 

Why not today? Joohyun wanted to ask, but didn’t. She knew why.

 

Because that day was theirs. Because Seungwan knew Joohyun would come. Because Seungwan had to tell Joohyun that she’s leaving. Because Seungwan needed to come, too, and tell her this, so Joohyun would stop coming, so Joohyun would not make a fool of herself and wait for someone who would not come back.

 

There is no next year. Joohyun received the unspoken message well.

 

Joohyun was surprised it took Seungwan this long to get sick of seeing her.

 

Two years ago was perfect for that.

 

--

 

“You said yes.”

 

Joohyun put down her earring to peer at Seungwan’s reflection in the mirror. No change in her expression whatsoever, it’s still as calm as her voice was. She wasn’t sure what she’d expected to see in Seungwan’s eyes. Just… something. Something other than expressionless would do.

 

Maybe a surprised one. Surprised that Bae Joohyun, who never considered marriage her top priority, just said yes to a marriage proposal. Or maybe, surprised that Bae Joohyun, who always takes time to get to know someone, just said yes to marrying a guy she barely knew. Or surprised that Bae Joohyun, who hates spontaneity, was getting married in less than two months.

 

“Yeah,” Joohyun turned around, “I said yes.” Maybe if she looked at Seungwan directly, instead of from a mirror, she’d see her expression better.

 

“Is he nice?”

 

“It’s an okay from my mother, so should be.”

 

Seungwan hummed, eyes darting to whatever there was on the other side of the room. A pause, and Joohyun was almost tempted to ask what could be more interesting there than the fact that she’s now an engaged woman.

 

(Why wasn’t Seungwan looking at her?)

 

She had expected Seungwan to ask her why. Why she accepted the guy. Why she agreed to the arranged marriage. Why she said yes to everything.

 

(Because Joohyun is a good daughter who’ll always say yes to whatever her parents tell her to do. Because, even when she didn’t like him, she had no reason to say no. Because she couldn’t tell her parents not to meddle with her love life. Because she didn’t have anyone to introduce to her parents as her date that could bail her out of the arranged marriage. Because Seungwan—

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter