Home

A Roommate for the Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound from the huge speaker told Seungwan that her train was ten minutes away from arrival. Another ten minutes and Seungwan would leave Seoul, probably permanently, leaving behind things she shouldn’t leave undone, people she shouldn’t abandon.

 

… well, a person.

 

Another ten minutes and Seungwan would add this journey to the growing list of ‘a fun journey gone wrong’ and ‘why you are such a coward’.

 

It was not in her nature to run away from problems, neither was to start something she knew wouldn’t work out. That’s why she left.

 

No, not because she was a coward; because she knew that drunken kiss she shared with a blonde named Bae Joohyun in the bar last night would lead to things that would not work out.

 

They wouldn’t.

 

Or maybe they would, but Joohyun was blinding. Her golden locks; her porcelain-like skin; deep, dark orbs anyone would be more than willing to drown in; those small, tantalizing lips; her beauty was something Seungwan had never witnessed before and it frightened her. Seungwan was scared that she would taint the beauty.

 

Afraid, knowing how inept she was as a mere mortal to handle a walking goddess like Joohyun.

 

It’s fine though, Seungwan told herself, recalling all the escapes she’d made before, all the ‘could’ve-been-but-didn’t’. She had never stayed in one place for too long anyway; leaving people behind was something she did as regularly as paying monthly rent normal people did. She left, she met new people, she made yet another fragile bond with strangers, and eventually broke it.

 

In the end, nothing mattered.

 

Seven minutes left.

 

“I’ve lived here for four years. Now it’s easier to call this place home.” Bae Joohyun batted an eyelash at Seungwan and smiled. “What about you?”

 

“Always on the move,” Seungwan answered. “Probably something to do with the fact that I used to move around a lot with my parents.”

 

An eyebrow rose. “No house? You know, somewhere you can always go to when you run out of places to visit?”

 

“Following your logic, it’d take me four years to get used to a place. In those forty-eight months I could’ve visited all exciting places in South Korea and completed a bucket list.”

 

“You have a bucket list?”

 

“Hypothetically.”

 

“But it’s not about the place, you see.” Joohyun helped herself another glass of beer, letting curiosity arose from her words, before continuing, “To feel like you belong. Sometimes, it’s the people you interact with. I once moved out from my apartment because I h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter