That One Morning

One, Two, Step

Ugh…”

Small beams of sun light penetrated the room through the gaps of the window blind, touching the face of the girl lying peacefully on the bed with summer morning heat, forcing open her eyes. She tried to sit up, but everything started spinning and turning upside down before her body gave in. She put her hand on her temple, gently massaging it. Her head was pounding madly, as if being beaten to pulp by a thousand small hammers.

“Geez…I guess I drank too much,” She sighed heavily. “Maknae’s gonna kill me…”

She tried once again to sit up and finally succeeded (after a series of “ughs” and “ahhs”). As she shifted towards the edge of the double-sized bed, she felt movement other than hers and stopped. The alcohol still got the better of her vision, so she ran her hands all over the surface of the bed and nudged something. As she regained her vision, she let out a sigh.

There was another girl on the other side of the bed. She did not remember who or what the girl was doing in her bed, thanks to all the alcohol her alcoholic buddy made her consume that night, but looking at the mess around her and clothes scattered all over the place was just enough to give her the idea. She looked down at herself and shook her head. Even she wasn’t completely dressed.

“Now Taeng’s gonna kill me…”

It was actually a normal morning for Yuri. The night before, she and her friends had partied all night long in celebration of their first trophy as a dance group. Girls’ Generation had won a national dance competition and gained recognition in the entertainment world in the country. It was indeed a big moment for the group. And just like every other big things that need celebrations, they threw a party. If Yuri, Hyoyeon, Taeyeon, Sooyoung, and Seohyun were anything other than charismatic dancers on stage, they were party animals.

She took another glance at the girl sleeping soundly on the other side of the bed. Waking up and finding another person in the bed like this was also a not-so-surprising thing. Being a playgirl, picking up other girls is child’s play for Yuri. It was just that Taeyeon would lecture her everytime she found out that Yuri just slept with a complete stranger.

“Ungh…Yul?”

The soft voice calling her name came from the girl lying on the bed. The softness and affection in the girl’s voice startled her. The way she called her name was like they had been lovers for some time.

The waking girl turned to her and sat up. “Oh, eonni, you woke up early,”
Yuri was puzzled that she did not dare to look back at the girl. Why is she acting so close and comfortable? She wondered. I don’t even know her. This never happened before. Usually, Yuri and her partner would agree to each other that it was only for the night, that they would not try to act beyond just a one night stand partners. This girl was acting way too far beyond that border.
The girl moved to Yuri’s side, making Yuri more puzzled. As Yuri turned to look at the girl, she was amazed by the beauty. Even with so little of light coming from the window, her milky white skin seemed to shine bright. At the sight of Yuri getting caught up by the visual before her, the girl giggled and smiled.

“Hehe…I’m sorry. My name is Im Yoona. I didn’t mean to be rude, Kwon Yuri-ssi…” she smiled.

Yuri snapped out of her trance. This girl keeps surprising me every time she moves, she thought.

“H-how did you…”

Yoona giggled. “Well, you were pretty wasted last night. I could imagine that it must’ve been one hell of a hangover you got there,”

“How drunk was I?”

“Well, you were pretty wild,” Yoona answered. Yuri could tell that Yoona was blushing.

Yuri threw back her head. The headache still hasn’t worn off, but the voice of her companion strangely soothed her and eased the pain. This had been a rather puzzling morning for her.

Yuri turned to the girl beside her, who was looking away but couldn’t take the smile off her face. “I’m sorry, but…what’s your name again? I’m sorry I just…I can’t remember a thing from last night. It’s been a while since I last got this drunk…”

Yoona giggled more. Yuri felt somewhat addicted to all that giggling. “I’m Im Yoona. I’m actually Seohyunnie’s friend and I believe we’ve met a couple times even before last night at the party. I doubt you noticed, though.”

“We did? Oh, well. I guess I never really paid close attention to people around me. I would’ve remembered you otherwise,” Yuri cleared and offered a hand. “I’m Kwon Yuri, nice to meet you.”

Yoona took her hand gladly. The smile plastered on her face never went off. “I know, silly Yul eonn--” she stopped herself. “Uh, I mean, Kwon Yuri-ssi…”

Yuri, for the first time in that puzzling morning, smiled to the girl beside her. All the acting close and comfortable did make her really confused, but somehow it didn’t feel wrong either. It was the first time Yuri felt this comfortable, like meeting an old friend that she hasn’t seen for years, with a complete stranger. There was just something in Yoona that made her feel at ease, as if she was under a spell.

“It’s okay. I assume we already got very close and comfortable before, seeing at how comfortable you are with me. I guess it doesn’t hurt to drop the honorific now.”

“Ah, yes. If that’s okay with you…eonni…”

Yoona was blushing. There has never been in her dreams that the girl she has been admiring so much would treat her like she was everything, even only for a night. The last night they spent together was the best night Yoona has ever had her whole life. She didn’t mind the minor screaming, scratching, and even small bruises she got on one side of her thigh. Kwon Yuri never stopped lifting her high up in the clouds that night, even when she was not in her best state. It was indeed a night to remember for Im Yoona.

“Yoona?” Yuri called to the younger girl. “I need to go somewhere today with the others. Is it okay if I set off first?”

Yoona was a little disappointed. She was hoping Yuri could ask her to drive her home or something. Getting to spend a memorable night with someone she had a crush on for only once already had her hoping high. But she didn’t want to be of any hindrance for her crush anyway so she agreed.

“Ah, gwaenchanhayo, eonni…really. I promise I won’t be trouble to you. Hehe…”

“Ah, okay then. I’ll fix myself up and go outside first. I’m sure you can help yourself, right?”

“Yes! I mean…I told you I promise I won’t be trouble! Please don’t mind me, eonni…hehe I’ll take care of myself,”

With that, Yuri smiled again before going to the bathroom, leaving the blushing Yoona smiling like a happy innocent child.


Meanwhile, right down the stairs, the youngest had just woken up already sober. She did not have the same headache Yuri suffered as she knew better than her eonnideul to watch over her alcohol consumption, being the most health-aware in the group. She found herself in her own room, which was also messy to her dislike, but at least she woke up alone in the room. Then she immediately remembered about her friend that she invited to the party.

“Omo! Yoong eonni!” Panic started to fill her. ”Where was she…where was she…she was with…” she paused as she remembered about what happened when she last saw her friend.
“Yoong eonni went upstairs with Yuri eonni….and Yuri eonni was drunk…OMO!”

Strange thoughts, even dirty ones, about what might have happened between the two began to corrupt her clean yet not-so-innocent young mind. One thought made her giggle and smile, but some others made her squeal in disgust. Seohyun knew about Yoona having a big crush on Yuri, and she knew too well how Yuri was around girls. She couldn’t decide whether she should feel bad for Yoona or be happy instead. Either way, she should find the girl.

After fixing her hair and changing her clothes, she immediately went out of her room. The house, aside from being messy, was surprisingly quiet. Most of their friends that attended the party already left before dusk. As she was going to the stairs to check upstairs, the door to the room beside hers opened and two girls that looked like they just had a really rough night emerged from inside. Seohyun covered before she gasped aloud. The sight before her was just hard to believe.

Taeyeon, who just got out of her room which was beside Seohyun’s, took the hand of the girl whom she came out of the room with, and led her to the front door. Taeyeon noticed Seohyun who was frozen in the middle of the stairs and approached her after sending the other girl off.

“What’s with the face?” Taeyeon asked. “How did you wake up early anyway?”

“I didn’t drink as much as you guys! I’m aware of my own alcohol consumption limit…” Seohyun cutely pouted. “And don’t try to distract me, eonni! What about what I just witnessed? You and Tiffany eonni? Finally together??”

Taeyeon shrugged but couldn’t hide her smile. “Well, kind of.”

Seohyun squealed in excitement. “Kyaa! Taeny is finally together! So…did you do it?” Her not-so-innocent side took over.

“Well, depends on what you define as ‘it’. We just cuddled. Well, a little more than that, but nothing excessive, really. I appreciate her wish to wait for the right time. I didn’t want to rush things for her anyway.”

“Aww, that’s so sweet of you eonni…” Seohyun clapped her hand. “Though it’s not as fun as I thought it would be. Hahahaha!”

“Ya! Byuntae maknae!” Taeyeon slapped the younger girl’s arm playfully.

“Hahaha…aigoo. My gay friends are all getting lucky in one night. If only Yonghwa oppa could come to the party. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind taking me for a ‘ride’,” Seohyun’s not-so-innocent side was starting to get the better of her.

“Ya! Stop imagining erted things! Aigoo…I can’t believe you’re our maknae,” Taeyeon shook her head at her youngest member. “Oh, by the way. I saw the news last night and there was Yonghwa. He was spotted going to a club with Park Shinhye,”

Seohyun’s dreamy smile faded instantly. Her face turned red with horns protruding from her head, or so Taeyeon imagined seeing how mad her youngest sister was. But she swore that she could see smoke blown from Seohyun’s nostrils.

“That ! I’ll make sure the next time we meet, I’ll—“

Seohyun was cut short by footsteps coming down from upstairs. Both Seohyun and Taeyeon turned their heads to the direction of the sound. Slowly approaching, Yuri came down to see two of her members staring up at her as if they were expecting something from her.

“What?” Yuri asked the two.

“Nothing…” exclaimed the two.

Yuri turned to Seohyun. “Maknae, it’s good that you’re already awake. We have a schedule right?”

Seohyun stopped for a moment, thinking about what she might have missed. Her eyes widened in shock as she recalled the schedule.

“Andwaeee! The interview starts an hour from now! And it’s a 45 minutes’ drive to the tv station. Not to mention we have to pick Manager eonni up,”

“Then we must hurry…” Yuri went to pick up her car keys before turning to Taeyeon. “Oh, and Taengoo-ya. Please clean up the house as much as you can. Tell Hyo and Soo to help too. I promise I’ll help out as soon as we get back from the schedule!”

Taeyeon grinned and gave her a thumb up. “Arasseo, Yuri-ah. Come on, go. You don’t wanna miss our first interview right?”

Yuri nodded and then alongside Seohyun went to her car. As they got inside, Seohyun just remembered about what she wanted to find out before she was distracted by Taeny earlier.

“Eonni, was Yoona eonni with you?” Seohyun asked.

“Who? Yoona? Oh, that girl…yes, she was…uh…she was with me,” Yuri answered, though she wasn’t sure of what to say because the girl she was sleeping with was maknae’s friend.

“You mean, like, you were with her the entire night?”

“Well…kind of. But you know how drunk I was last night. And when I woke up this morning, I didn’t even remember who she was…”

“So…you woke up but didn’t remember who she was or what she was doing there?” Seohyun asked again.

“Yes…”

“On the bed?”

“Well, yes.”

“Mm-hm, I see…” Seohyun nodded, feeling amused by her own thoughts.

“Waegeurae?” Yuri smelled something fishy.

“Nothing, eonni!” Seohyun denied but she kept smiling. So it’s true, Seohyun thought. They did it.

As Yuri was driving down the busy streets, Seohyun kept lecturing her about the danger of consuming too much alcohol in one night and the consequences of having hangovers. Yuri was used to this kind of mental abuse her maknae and oldest member always give her. As Seohyun finally finished her piece, silence slipped in between them.

“So…” Seohyun started again, bringing back the topic. “What do you think of Yoona eonni?”

“Who?” Yuri asked nonchalantly with eyes still kept on the road.

“Aish. How can you already forget about her, eonni?!” 

“Huh, what? Oh…Yoona? She’s alright.”

“That’s all?”

“Mmmm…Well, her skin glows.”

Seohyun smirked, feeling very satisfied with the older girl's answer. She continued to giggle with herself, drowning in the thoughts about what Yuri and Yoona might have done during the night before. Yuri, on the other hand, kept her eyes on the road and her mind on getting to the interview on time.

After picking their manager up, who was already up and ready for hours, they barely made it to the interview on time. It was a rough morning for them, and Yuri was barely keeping it together because of the hangover. The guys from the TV Station were a little bit disappointed with their lack of preparation. They were on time, true, but they were too right on time that they barely have time to prepare. Then, when Yuri was going to the make up room, still hasn't fully recovered from her hangover, she bumped a girl in a black formal suit in the corridor.

"Hey, watch it!" The girl snapped, barely glancing at Yuri.

"What the hell?" Said Yuri. She was bewildered by the girl's reaction, but before she could answer back, the girl was already gone. For the rest of her trip to the make up room, Yuri couldn't stop wondering about what the girl's problem was.

The interview was about to start. The cameras were ready and would be rolling at the director's notice. Lights were already set. Yuri and Seohyun were already sitting at their spots on the interview stage. The only one who wasn't there yet was the interviewer.

"We barely made it here on time, rushed our make ups, and now we still have to wait?" Seohyun complained.

Yuri was about to respond to Seohyun when she was cut short by the sound of the door opening. Behind the door, a girl in a black formal attire and a name tag on her chest pocket appeared.

"I'm sorry I'm late..." the latecomer exclaimed. It was an apology to no one in particular, only a customary gesture for her late coming.

Yuri, not realizing who the girl was, glued her eyes on their late interviewer as she prepared her equipment behind the cameras. The sight of her from her back, perfect as an hourglass, made Yuri really excited about the interview. When the girl turned to them, Yuri noticed her name tag. Jessica J.

The second Jessica and Yuri exchanged eye contact, both their expressions turned aggressive.

"You!" they yelled at each other.