Chapter One: Cinnamon Coffee Cake

Chocolate Chip Cookies
  1.  

Jaebum was by all definition a man who lived simplistically. He liked things the way they were supposed to be. He had a routine that he lived by and he rarely changed it. Change was bad according to Jaebum. He just wanted things to roll smoothly, change altered the line of smooth sailing. When Jaebum woke up to a cloudy sky he knew that today was going to be bad.

The forecast had said that the storm wasn’t supposed to be here for another week, the weather man lied to Jaebum and he did not appreciate this one bit. Getting dressed in his usual attire of a suit and tie Jaebum searched his closet that was filled only with deep colors like black, dark grey and navy blue. Today Jaebum decided to wear a dark navy blue dress suit, with a black tie. Jaebum never ate breakfast at home and instead ate at a local coffee shop, so grabbing his umbrella and other necessities Jaebum was out the door.

Of course it decided to down pour the moment Jaebum stepped into the lobby of his loft complex only angering the boy further. It then nearly took an entire seven minutes for him to catch a taxi and when he did the car got stuck in traffic. Jaebum hardly had time for breakfast as it was and now this. Finally the taxi pulled up to the local bakery he usually went to and when the taxi driver asked for a tip Jaebum glared at the man until he drove away. When Jaebum opened the door he was most definitely confused. The coffee shop was completely different. Before the shop was colored in simple cream shades with brown accents but now it had vibrant pastel colors covering the walls. The customers inside were different as well, instead of the typical business man he saw and dear he say it, hipsters. Just what the hell had happened here?

Walking up to the cash register Jaebum hit the little bell that was in the shape of a cookie and waited for someone to come out from the back. Jaebum was about to ring the bell again when someone rushed out to the front, a streak of teal icing on his cheek.

“Oh my, I hope you weren’t waiting for too long? What can I get for ya?” The tall boy said. Looking him over Jaebum saw that he was wearing. The male was dressed in a light pink apron what was covered in little cupcakes with faces on them. He had slightly messy brown hair that laid on his forehead and a bright smile. Jaebum was not impressed.

“I would like to speak with the owner, Mr. Park?” Jaebum said recalling the old man who ran this shops name.

“Oh well you’re looking at him, what can I do for you?” the man at the counter asked while he cleaned up the front counter space a bit.

“No, you must be mistaken the man I’m looking for is in his early seventies at least.”

“Ohhh you mean grandpa, yea he doesn’t run the shop anymore he’s on vacation. My name’s Jinyoung by the way.”

“Wait he left as in he isn’t coming back?” Jaebum asked with disbelief. Now where was he going to get his breakfast? This day could not get any worse, seriously.

“Yea, he went on a cruise to Barbados. He isn’t gonna be back, he’s retired. I can get you something though?”

Jaebum was going to refuse the man but he was starving and he needed to go to work so Jaebum just said, “Can I just get a black coffee and a croissant.”

“Oh okay, would you like to try one of our specials. Today we have cinnamon coffeecakes.”

“No I just want what I asked for alright?” Jaebum said sighing at the boy. Jinyoung just smiled at Jaebum and nodded before going to gather Jaebum’s order. When Jinyoung passed over the items Jaebum reached for his wallet but Jinyoung just shook his head and said no.

“I kept you waiting for a while, it’s on the house. I even threw in one of my coffeecakes. Give it a try I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.” Jinyoung said, “Oh and what’s your name? I like to ask all customers so that I can get to know them better.”

“Jaebum…”

“Well Jaebum it was nice meeting you, see you next time!” Jinyoung said waving to the boy. 

“Thanks,” Jaebum grunted before heading back out into the rain. When Jaebum finally made it to his office he was pissed off and not ready to deal with angry people all day who didn’t even understand higher intellect. When it came to lunch time Jaebum was still hungry but had no time for lunch because an intern had broken off the arm on the machine Jaebum was working om so he had to stay and fix it.

Looking at the bag that he had gotten from Jinyoung Jaebum’s stomach grumbled. He hadn’t thrown the coffeecake away because he hated wasting food. He figured he could just pass the sugary food to someone else but he was hungry and frustrated. So removing his lab coat Jaebum cleaned his hand and took a seat at his desk. Jaebum took out the crumbly topped cake and stared at it. Jaebum seriously hated sweets but he needed food if he was going to think straight and fix his machine. Taking a bite out of the cake Jaebum was surprised that it was spicier than expected, the cinnamon taste strong but not over bearing. Perhaps it wasn’t all that bad after all.