Chapter 8

The Warrior Inside

I met Jinyoung at another café near my apartment and we studied in silence for a good two hours, occasionally asking questions and making sure that our notes were syncing up. I felt more at ease during that time and allowed myself to forget about everything else while we studied.

 

Then notes about the Bermuda Triangle came up. I immediately thought back to the video our professor showed us about the man getting trapped in the Bermuda Triangle for six years. My eyes narrowed in confusion. Images of the woman in white flashed in my memory and I was reminded of the first part of my dream I had this morning.

 

“You okay?” Jinyoung asked.

 

I glanced at him. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

“You looked like you were thinking of something hard just now.”

 

I sighed a little. “I’m fine really, it’s just…”

 

“Another dream?”

 

I looked down and slowly nodded.

 

“What happened this time?”

 

For some reason, I felt very uneasy talking about this dream. “…it’s…difficult to explain.”

 

“…if you don’t want to talk about it, you don’t have to.” Jinyoung shrugged a bit and looked back at his notes.

 

I looked at him quickly. “I do. It’s just that…I think this dream predicted my future.”

 

Jinyoung looked back at me interested. “Oh?”

 

I slowly explained seeing the woman in white from the Juliet video we watched in class followed by the sewage gate near my apartment and the failed experiment getting run over by a car as the figure in the top hat told me about researching the Human Dream.

 

When I went quiet, Jinyoung just stared at me for a long time.

 

“...if you don’t believe me, that’s fine. I don’t even believe it either…” I said quietly.

 

“What is the Human Dream Project?” He asked.

 

“I only know a few things about it, but it’s really hard to find information about it. Apparently it’s a top secret case.”

 

“What do you know about it?”

 

I explained what I knew and he leaned back a bit in his chair. “So a guy in a top hat came to you in your dream and told you to research a topic that is very hard to find?”

 

“…yeah, that’s pretty accurate.”

 

“Wow…it sounds like something big is gonna happen to you.”

 

“You don’t think it sounds weird?”

 

“Yeah.” He chuckled. “It’s too bizarre. But you’ve been having bizarre dreams for the last few nights, so honestly I’m not surprised that you’d have this kind of dream now.”

 

“This person wearing a top hat said that he can only communicate with me through my dreams or through radios.” I confessed quietly.

 

“He told you that in your dream?”

 

“No, I… just talked with him through a radio.” I felt extremely embarrassed to say that out loud.

 

Jinyoung’s eyes widened. “What? Seriously?”

 

“…yeah.” I sighed and leaned back, rubbing my face. “I sound like I’m going crazy.”

 

“Maybe you are.” Jinyoung chuckled again. “But something supernatural is clearly calling out to you. I think you should listen to it.”

 

I glanced at him. “You’re being scarily calm about this whole thing.”

 

He shrugged. “I’m interested in this kind of stuff.”

 

“You’re not scared?”

 

“Not really. Just really interested.”

 

I sighed again and grinned. “Well thanks for not looking at me weird or judging me. It’s taking a lot out of me trying to figure this stuff out.”

 

“Maybe you should think of it as something to figure out. Maybe you should just let it happen and it’ll just become understandable to you.”

 

I looked at him for a long time, then slowly nodded. “Alright. I’ll try doing that.”

 

“Cool.” He grinned and stretched his arms. “Wanna take a break?”

 

I nodded. “Yeah. Actually I think I’m gonna go home.”

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah. Just tired.” I wasn’t lying. After waking up at 4 AM and then again at 8 AM, I was very ready for bed.

 

“So you’ll go to bed early? It’s almost 7 PM.” Jinyoung checked his phone.

 

“I had a rough morning.” I chuckled a little. “I felt very nauseous this morning and even threw up. But I’m fine now.”

 

“Oh. Then yeah, go home and rest. I’m surprised you even left your apartment at all.” Jinyoung looked at me surprised.

 

“It wasn’t a big deal.” I stood up and pulled my bag over my shoulder. “Thanks a lot for listening to my crazy dreams.”

 

“No problem, man. Just take it easy tonight.” Jinyoung waved at me.

 

“Are you gonna go home soon?”

 

“I’m meeting my girlfriend soon. She’s on her way over.”

 

“Oh, great.” I smiled and waved. “See you on Monday.”

 

“See you.”

 

As I made my way back to my apartment, my mind was clouded with images of the woman in white from my dream. Because I focused so much on the second part of that dream, I never really noticed the amount of emotions I was feeling when I saw her. Her face was unfamiliar to me, but I felt like we had more of a connection. Seeing her calm face made me feel sad but strangely relieved.

 

As I opened the door to my apartment, I set down my backpack and sat down on my bed.

 

She said I had to keep living. Then she disappeared.

 

I blinked in confusion. Did she... die?

 

Thinking of that suddenly made me feel extremely sad. It came on so quickly that I could physically feel my heart swelling with pain. I bent over a little and let out a small breath. Tears suddenly feel from my surprised eyes.

 

It was like the only woman I ever loved just died and I had the feeling like I couldn’t do anything to stop her from leaving me.

 

Through my sudden rush of sadness, I was panicking. What the hell was happening right now? I don’t know that woman! I was certain I’d never seen her in my life. Why was I suddenly so sad?

 

I shook my head a little and stood up, trying to think of other things, trying to focus on objects in my room. After pacing the floor for a few minutes, I eventually calmed down and my breathing was back to normal. I slowly walked into the bathroom and dried my tear stains with a small wash cloth.

 

Then I stared at my reflection in the mirror for several seconds. I could see me in my reflection, but a nagging uneasy feeling never left my mind. Even though Jinyoung advised me not to think too much about my situation, every nerve in my body was on edge. I’ve never been more unstably confused in my whole life.

 

I wanted answers.