Chapter 4

The Warrior Inside

After I said goodbye to my friends, I made my way toward the university exit and got on the metro train toward the station closest to my apartment. While I settled in one of the train seats and leaned the back of my head against the glass, my phone vibrated. I pulled it out, glanced at it, then held it up to my ear.

 

“Hey.”

 

“Shinwoo are you out of class now?” Sunwoo’s voice was filled with hope.

 

“Yeah, I’m on the metro now.” I replied.

 

“You’re on your way home?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Good.” Sunwoo replied and hung up.

 

I looked at my phone confused. My finger lingered over the “Call Back” button, but I decided not to do it and put my phone back in my pocket.

 

Less than fifteen minutes later, I stepped off the train and made my way out of the station and into the area of my apartment complex. After entering my building and turning the corner toward the elevator, I stopped in surprise.

 

“Sunwoo?” I stared at him standing in front of the elevator staring right back at me.

 

“It’s about time you showed up.” He grinned and stepped back. The elevator door slid open.

 

I sighed a little and chuckled. “How long have you been waiting there?” I walked over to the elevator and we both stepped inside.

 

“Not too long. I brought snacks.” He held up a bag of soda cans and bags of chips and candy.

 

“I was planning to study tonight.” I glanced at him after pressing the button to my floor.

 

“Your final is on Monday. It’s Friday. You have two whole days to study as much as you want, but right now, we’re going to hang out.” Sunwoo said adamantly.

 

We stepped out of the elevator ten seconds later and walked toward my apartment entrance.

 

“I tried looking at the movies playing, but they all . So we could just watch an old movie or something. Or just talk about stuff. I don’t really care.” Sunwoo shrugged as I unlocked the door.

 

“Fine. If we’re going to talk about something, can it please be related to a topic or two on my history final?” I looked at him after taking my shoes off at the entrance.

 

“You sound like such a geek right now.” Sunwoo chuckled and walked into the room, looking around. “You don’t have a TV in here?”

 

“No, I don’t need it.” I stepped into the room and moved toward the kitchen area to get glasses.

 

“You’re kidding. You really don’t need a TV? How do you find out about current events or watch variety shows?”

 

“I have my phone.” I shrugged. “It’s really not a big deal for me.”

 

“Okay if you say so.” Sunwoo shrugged too and sat down on the floor next to my bed. He poured out the contents of the plastic bag as I sat down across from him and handed him the glasses.

 

“So how was your day off?” I asked, watching him pour soda into each glass.

 

“It was awesome! I got to sleep in after I talked to you and then I went out with my parents to eat BBQ. They were so happy because I paid for everything.” He handed me a full glass of soda.

 

I took it and just held it. “That’s good. They must be proud of you for having a job.”

 

“Yeah. I think today made them realize that even though I don’t have a degree, I can still live a life I like and get around well.” He took a sip.

 

“I’m happy for you.” I smiled and took a small sip, grimacing a little.

 

“It’s not good? The soda?”

 

“It’s fine. Just a little strong for me.”

 

“Wow. You’re tolerance is really low.” Sunwoo laughed. “This isn’t even carbonated soda.”

 

“I just drink water most of the time.” I chuckled and put the glass down.

 

“When are you going to start living on the edge, man?” Sunwoo took another big gulp and wiped his bottom lip.

 

“I’m still trying to figure out what I want to do…once I do that, then I’ll go crazy.” I chuckled.

 

Sunwoo sighed and shook his head. “I’m not trying to be preachy, but you’ll never figure out what you want to do or else your life will become pointless. You just gotta live in the moment, you know?”

 

“Yeah…right.” I took a piece of candy and unwrapped it.

 

We both ate and drank in silence for a minute.

 

“…do you know about The Bermuda Triangle?” I asked.

 

“Sure, what about it?”

 

“I saw this interesting video clip of this guy who traveled to Bermuda in 1968 but ended up getting lost in the triangle and was discovered six years later in Puerto Rico. He told everyone that he saw this dreamlike world and a woman in a white dress and was only there for under an hour.”

 

“Was she pretty?” Sunwoo’s eyes widened.

 

I sighed and rolled my eyes a little. “I’m sure she was. According to the video, they seemed to love each other right in the moment.”

 

“This was a true story?”

 

“I think so.”

 

“Wow…I wish that would happen to me.” Sunwoo chuckled a little.

 

“You want to become trapped in The Bermuda Triangle for six years?”

 

“No I want to meet a beautiful woman and instantly fall in love. That would be so nice.” He leaned back a little and looked at the ceiling dreamily. “Wouldn’t that be nice?”

 

I sighed a little. “Yeah, sure.” I took another small sip of soda and grimaced again.

 

Sunwoo looked at me. “Don’t you want a girlfriend?”

 

“I really don’t have time to date right now.”

 

“You will after Monday.” Sunwoo smiled.

 

I didn’t like the way he smiled. “Yeah, but—“

 

“We should totally go to a club!”

 

“That’s just not really my thing—“

 

“It would be so much fun! The atmosphere is always exciting and there are beautiful women everywhere!”

 

We spent the next five minutes arguing about going or not going to a club until Sunwoo gave up and lay down on the floor.

 

“You’re no fun.” He mumbled.

 

I stood up and took his empty glass to my sink. Then I took the soda I didn’t drink and poured it back into the can before placing into my refrigerator. I thought for a moment about telling him about my connecting dreams, but after glancing at him, I figured he was annoyed with my behavior and decided to not say anything as I cleaned the two glasses and put them on the drying rack next to the sink.

 

“…can I sleep here tonight?” He suddenly asked.

 

I turned to him surprised. “What?”

 

“…I kind of told my parents that I would be out looking for another job, but I’m really not in the mood right now. So if I stay with you tonight, by the time I come back from work tomorrow, they’ll think I was up all night looking.”

 

I sighed a little. I wasn’t the kind of person to help deceive other people. “That’s a pretty dishonest thing to do.”

 

“I’ll make it up to you, I promise. I’ll take you out for dinner, okay?” He sat up.

 

“…fine.” I sighed and moved toward the closet near the door.

 

“Thank you so much!” He stood up.

 

“Mmhmm.” I nodded and pulled out a large, thick sheet and an extra pillow.

 

Ten minutes later, we were settled in our beds, me in mine and him in a make-shift bed on the floor. Our faces were washed and our teeth were brushed.

 

I sighed a little, disappointed for not studying at all today.

 

“Shinwoo.” Sunwoo said.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Thanks again.”

 

“No problem.”

 

“Goodnight.”

 

“Goodnight.” I closed my eyes and turned my head a little to the side. A large wave of fatigue spread throughout my mind and body and I was asleep in less than fifteen seconds.