World's Greatest First Love

Stream of Consciousness

Kai sullenly walked to class that next morning and took his seat at the front of the classroom. He’d stayed up all night binge watching episodes of Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE and hadn’t finish his story until around 2.30am and he had to be up at 6. He doesn’t even know if he completed the assignment correctly. But it was as done as it was gonna get.

Not two seconds after he’d taken his seat, in walks Mr. “Easy A” and his posse of fresh meat. The boy was few inches shorter than Kai with jet black hair that was cut short on one side. He glanced over at Kai and smirked like some sort of ing anime character. Kai had to admit, he did look kind of cool, but still! Who did he think he was intimidating? The bell for class to begin rang shortly afterward. Ms. Frizz closed the door behind her and took her spot at the front of the room.

“Good morning class!” she bellowed in a sing-song voice. “I hope you all finished last night’s creative writing assignment. I know you’re not excited about being assigned homework on the first night. But like any craft, you only get better with practice. Anyway, let’s jump right in. We’re going to break into pairs and share your stories. I’ve already chosen your partners.”

Fuuuuuuucccckkkk no. Kai thought. He’d half-assed this entire thing and he was not ready to let these freshman “flex on his .” He was completely prepared to fake sick. This would not be the first time Nam Joon has called the school pretending to be Kai’s father so he could leave early (he didn’t have a third or fourth period last semester and he doesn’t have a first or second period this semester). Kai had already entered the text telling Nam Joon to be ready and had his finger hovering over the “send” button when he heard his name being called.

“Raise your hands so your partner can see you,” said Ms. Frizz. Kai raised the hand that wasn’t hidden under his desk, gripping his phone...and saw Smart ’ hand raise, too. Fuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkk no. Kai thought, as he saw Smart mouth the same thing. He made a big show of rolling his eyes in Kai’s direction and shooting him the fakest smile ever.

“Okay. Get together and let’s begin!” Kai shuffled across the room and took the empty desk next to Smart .

“Why, hello!” he said, in the most patronizing voice he could muster. “It’s quite nice to meet you! My name is Taemin! And you must be Kai.” It was Kai’s turn to roll his eyes.

“Let’s get this is over with,” Kai replied in the same patronizing voice. “Let’s hear your A+ work.”

“Why do I have to go first Mr. Model Student?” Taemin replied. “You’re the oldest and the wisest...and the cutest.” He winked. Kai visibly shuttered.

“Listen, I get that you don’t like me and that you have this whole “bad boy” appearance to keep up like some sort of second rate idol, but I’m not one of these freshman and I can see right through you.”

“Second rate ‘idol?’” He practically threw up the words. “You do know that this isn’t Korea or Japan, or something, right? Someone needs to stop looking at anime and Korean variety shows. For real, for real.”

“You must look at them, too, if you know what I’m talking about,” Kai replied lamely.

“No. I’m from an Asian family, so I know what they are. I’m not as lame as you are, though.”

“Can you just read your half-assed story, so we can stop talking to each other?”

“Can’t.”

“Why not?”

“Didn’t do it.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me! If this class were an easy A, all you’d have to do was, you know, the work. Literally, you could have written anything down! That’s what I did!”

“Then let’s hear it!” Kai whipped his head around. Ms. Frizz. He wondered how long she’d been standing there. He stared at her, mouth agape, semi-hoping he would die, semi-hoping that Taemin would. “I would like to hear your story Mr. Kim. Everyone,” she shouted, “Please give Kai your full attention. He will be sharing his artwork with us.”

The class turned and stared. Taemin laughed and clap. Kai frowned himself a little. They’re just freshman. They’re just freshman. He frantically tried to remind himself. Maybe I should send that text to Nam Joon. There’s no way I’m gonna reach my phone in time. I’m just gonna have to do it. Kai stood up and began to read:

 

The team had just won their first home game and Lay was invited out for pizza. He had no idea why. He wasn’t even on the team, but his friend Kris insisted that he come celebrate with them, so here he was. In the middle of a shabby pizzeria, with a group of people he didn’t even know. But it was all a part of being a supportive friend, he guessed.

Toward the front of the pizzeria stood a stage with a mic, barstool, and karaoke machine. Soon, a man walked to the front of the room and asked if anybody would like to start them off on the first round of karaoke that night. Obviously, Lay wanted to sing. He hadn’t poured his blood, sweat and tears into three and a half grueling years of musical theatre to miss any opportunity at impromptu karaoke. Without saying a word, he walked up on to the stage.

He quickly flipped through the book to find the perfect song. And there it was. It popped out of the pages, almost as if it were meant for him. If I Was Your Girl by Janet Jackson. He told the dude the song number, and started singing.

“If I was your girl, all the things I’d do to you. I’d make you call out my name I’d ask who it belonged to. If I was your woman, the things I’d do to you. But I’m not. So I can’t. And I won’t, but if I was your girl.” Lay danced around the stage, more than making up for the fact that he was neither a girl, nor a woman. The audience cheered him on. The second time he hit the chorus, however, he heard a very distinct voice coming from the audience.

It was Kris. “If I was your woman, the things I’d do to you. But I’m not. So I can’t. And I won’t, but if I was your girl.” Kris ran up on stage and started to dance with Lay. They sang the song as if it was a duet. It couldn’t have been anymore perfect. The two held hands when the song ended and took a bow as the audience gave them a standing ovation. And they held hands for the rest of the night.

 

Kai immediately sat down. The class stared at in disbelief. Some openly laughed. Others tried to contain their laughter, but failed. Some looked disgusted. Others looked as though they didn’t know how to feel. Someone broke the silence.

“GGGAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!” The entire class laughed. Kai didn’t know who said it, and quite frankly, he didn’t care. He wanted the ground to open up and swallow him.

“Okay, class. Settle down,” Ms. Frizz finally decided to break the tension. “Kai. That was very good. Anybody else wanna share?”

Kai immediately took out his phone, opened his conversation with Nam Joon, and hit “send.” This was going to be the longest semester of his life. He could deal with missing a few class periods.


 

    Kai had always been a little confused about his uality. He mostly relied on what people told him he was, rather than what he actually considered himself. When took ballet in the seventh grade, everyone called him gay, and, while he knew they were just teasing him, he couldn’t really refute the claim. This was at the height of his ual awakening, and boys just seemed a lot more appealing than girls. However, when he dated Krystal in the eighth grade, he wasn’t necessarily called “straight,” but he was called “The Man.” He assumed his seventh grade self must have been going through a phase. Now, though, he definitely found himself caught somewhere closer to the gay side on the spectrum of uality; he wasn’t exactly gay, but he did find men more appealing than women...and most of the women he was attracted to were the busty girls from animes.

Kai’s technically been “out” for a while, though. He’s never personally told anyone his ual preference, but it was pretty well known that he was some kinda gay. The first person to know for sure was Nam Joon, and Kai hadn’t really told him, he’d just assumed. Kai vaguely remembers the conversation. Their junior prom was only a few weeks away and Nam Joon was going with a girl he’d been talking to for a while. Kai was still dateless.

“You still need a date? I might have a friend for you,” Nam Joon bluntly stated.

“Nah. That’s fine,” Kai replied. “I’ll just go solo. It’s fine.”

“You should meet him, though. He’s a really-”

“HE?!”

Nam Joon rolled his eyes. “Yes. He. And he’s already agreed to it. All you have to do say yes.”

“I’m not gay. Really, I’m not,” Kai said, quite unconvincingly.

“Who are you trying to convince? Me or you?” said Nam Joon. “We’re gonna go get fitted for tuxes next week and I kinda promised him that I’d convince you to go with him, so, he’ll be there, too.”

And that was it. His date’s name was Jung Kook and Kai had actually ended up having a great time. Kai doesn’t really know how Nam Joon found it. Was it the copious amounts of stored on his computer? Or the posters of Korean boy bands? It couldn’t have been...could it? Had everyone known that Kai was gay? Nah. Kai listened to Kanye, and only straight men listened to Kanye. Correction: only straight, Black men listened to Kanye. It was the perfect coverup!

Kai was released from class a few minutes after “the incident.” After checking out, he waited for Nam Joon to pick him up in front of the building. Nam Joon took one look at Kai’s face and knew he didn’t wanna talk. Not talking was to Nam Joon’s thing. He wanted to know everything. He hadn’t spent five years being the friend of the poor, pitiful boy just to be shut out. He was gonna get the truth. Even if it lead to torture. Like, punching Kai in the face. Or destroying some of his collection. Whichever hurt worse.

Nam Joon hadn’t started the car. They stayed parked at the front of the building in silence with Nam Joon boring a hole into the side of Kai’s head.

“You kinda have to start the car,” said Kai sarcastically.

“You kinda have to talk to me,” Nam Joon replied.

“You need to stop trying to force things out of me. It’s annoying.”

“You need to stop watching cartoons having . It’s weird.” Kai sighed. Like, touche and all, but seriously. He was not too keen on reliving the traumatizing details. “Does it have anything to do with that story you wrote for creative writing? What was it about?”

So Kai spilled all the tea. He’d told how Ms. Frizz had made him read the story in front of the class. How the main characters were gay. How everyone had made fun of him. Ms. Frizz had tried to calm him down by sending comforting smiles and glances his way, but nothing helped.

“So, you’re upset that they know you’re gay?”

“No,” Kai replied.

“Then what?” That was a good question. That was a great question, actually. Kai had no idea why he was so upset. The story wasn’t that bad. It probably better than most. But the fact that he was patronized for making a homoual love story just got to him. It’s not like he was uncomfortable with his uality. But...he didn’t know.

“I don’t know,” he answered honestly.

“Who cares, though? It’s a class of freshman! And it was just story. The same little girls who laughed at you are the same ones fangirling over Ruby Rose. And the same guys who laugh probably listen to Kanye. Don’t let it get to you.” He was right (not about the Kanye thing, though), but it had already gotten to him. He still never wanted to see the inside of that classroom -- and Taemin’s stupid face -- ever again!

It was really all his fault, to be perfectly honest. He knew Ms. Frizz was standing behind them. He was still salty about being made to look like an on the first day, so it was his turn to make Kai look like an . And these kids didn’t know Kai. They didn’t know he was gay(ish). He didn’t prance around wearing a rainbow cape (although, how cute would that be). So, technically, Taemin had indirectly outed him in front of a group of his peers. And the LGBTQ handbook says that that’s not okay by any standard definition of okayness.

Usually, when Kai was this stressed, he would write. Write until his fingers bleed. Whether he was physically writing, with pen and paper, or furiously pounding the keys on his laptop, he needed some creative energy to flow. It helped him clear his mind. Writing was the last thing he wanted to think about now.

“You coming over for dinner?” Nam Joon must’ve noticed that his little pep talk hadn’t worked. He only ever invited Kai over for dinner when Kai was really sad. Nam Joon’s parents worked a lot, which means Nam Joon would have had to cook himself and he absolutely hated cooking. It also gave Kai a safe space. He wouldn’t have to explain anything to his parents and he was free to vent openly. He would much rather eat Kai’s mom’s food, though, and neither of them was much of a fast food person.

“Nah. Just come over,” Kai said. He didn’t want to talk about it anymore.

“You sure?”

“Yeah. Thanks.”