|| Out of Impulse

Stories under the stars
title: out of impulse
word count: 1880 words
genre: fluff, slice of life, slight angst
 
-- ♡ --
 
Irene wonders when the feelings started subduing, their happy moments and memories slipping out of her mind so discreetly that she didn't even have enough time to grasp it back. She gave a small groan and struggled to get out of the bed without waking the younger person occupying the other side.
 
 
Walking out of the room, she gave a small peek at Wendy, wondering when she started falling out of love.
 
 
"I.. I love you?" Wendy panted out and her knees finally gave way, much to the surprise of the older girl. Here she was, her best friend of 4 years, finally confessing to her in a crowded cafeteria filled with oblivious students like them. "Please, please Irene. Let's give us a shot."
 
 
Everything the younger woman does was spontaneous, not that the taller girl minded. Although it did take her a long time to adapt to Wendy's quirkyness and on-a-whim attitude. Like her confession now, for example.
 
 
Wendy picked her stance up and shuffled on the spot, the awkward silence not really helping her situation. "Okay. Okay, I'm sorry for the sudden confession-"
 
 
"Why?"
 
 
Irene was frustrated. This was not the time for the younger girl to be kidding around with her, especially not when her heartbeat's beating quite erratically and she feels like she might just scream and tear her hair out for making her feel so, so peculiar.
 
 
"Why?" Wendy echoed her question and Irene shot her a frustrated stare. The older girl gritted her teeth and pulled Wendy to a secluded spot, her breathing uneven and she can feel her blood pressure rising. Oh, the things Wendy Son does to her.
 
 
"Why now, why of all times. Why do you have to proclaim your love for me when I was doing so well shoving my own in a chest to lock away forever. I was so close," Irene was almost in tears and she struggled to say the next sentence, her grip on Wendy's wrist tightening. "so close to falling out of love with you."
 
 
"I.. I saw someone confessing to you the other day. That's when I decided that I couldn't afford to lose you in my life. Sure, you'll say that we can stay friends forever but I'm not just satisfied with being just friends. I don't want to lose to some random person, I just want to be.." Wendy trailed off quietly, her eyes curiously peeking at Irene's wavering orbs. "I want to be your everything."
 
 
Wendy closed her eyes and muttered,"Kiss me, if you still have feelings for me, Unnie."
 
 
Irene growled and she felt like hitting Wendy. She felt like hitting everyone because right then, her heart gave her away with their obnoxiously loud beating which Wendy could probably hear. Her grip on the younger girl's wrist loosened and she could see Wendy's eyebrows furrowing and Irene panicked.
 
 
She lunged at Wendy, the sheer force knocking the petite girl off her feet and on the ground, Irene on top of her. Their lips melted with each other and Wendy finally felt her brows relaxing as she pulled away.
 
 
"Again.." Irene muttered and leaned forward.
 
 
Irene silently brewed her morning coffee, her eyes wandering all over the kitchen. Her eyes strayed over the post-it notes on their refrigerator. They always have a small habit to leave a note to the other if ever an unexpected situation arose. Like that time Irene had to go back to Daegu to take care of her sick mom, and she had the urge to write a small note to Wendy asking her not to worry and to take care of her own health because seriously, Wendy's lifestyle sometimes scare her.
 
 
Since then, it has always been a habit of the pair to leave small notes everywhere whether it be a Have a nice day at school!! ♡ or a Don't forget about our date @ Han river you cabbage!!! ㅠㅠ 
 
 
Irene's lips tugged up, a chuckle bubbling up but she managed to surpress it. The sudden whistling of the kettle nudged Irene out of her daydream to indicate the boiled water to be ready.
 
 
"No, blue! No wait!!! Purple! NO PURPLE AND BLUE!!" Wendy squealed and ran around the shop, switching from aisle to aisle. "I really think we should buy both bags, so we can be like a cute couple and then nobody would dare hit on you ever again!"
 
 
Irene giggled as her fingers lingered on the purple bag. "But many people has the same kind of bag like this. So does that mean they pair with me?"
 
 
Irene joked with Wendy which immediately got the younger girl furrowing her brows, her eyebrows meeting down as she tapped her chin impatiently. 
 
 
"Ah! Okay, wait right here, I'll be right back!" Wendy suddenly shouted and ran out of the shop. "Don't follow me, Irene Bae!"
 
 
Irene frowned at the shorter girl's action and she sighed. She has always wondered why Wendy was so spontaneous at times, only heaven knows the reason behind how her mind works.
 
 
5 minutes turned into 10 minutes and Irene began feeling impatient. Her phone rang a few seconds later and she scowled at the caller id.
 
 
"Yah! Where are you?!"
 
 
"I'm sorr . I zzz long li- talk to zz-"
 
 
"What? Wendy, I can't hear you, it's really noisy over there."
 
 
"What?"
 
 
"I said it's- Nevermind, where are you anyway?"
 
 
"Hello? Ire- I can't talk r- zz zxxc. Ugh stupid recep- wait-"
 
 
And the line was cut off. Irene fumed and stomped out of the shop. She tried calling Wendy again but the other girl could not be reached. 
 
 
"Ugh, stupid Seungwan."
 
 
She gave up searching for Wendy, allowing her legs to guide her around the mall. Irene peeked at every store she passed hoping to get a glimpse of a certain brunette but still nothing.
 
 
After walking around for another 10 minutes, she whipped out her phone and sent a text to the missing girl.
 
 
Her phone rang not soon after.
 
 
"Irene, you're going home?" Wendy's breathless voice could be heard from the receiver but Irene was already annoyed at her for leaving her all alone.
 
 
"Yeah."
 
 
Wendy winced at the cold reply. "Yeah, I'll have both of them, thanks. Keep the change, miss!"
 
 
Irene rolled her eyes as she met with silence followed by rustling in the background and a small grunt from Wendy.
 
 
"Are you really going home?"
 
 
"Yeah, uh, my dormmate had this really bad fever and so-"
 
 
"I'll send you home! Where are yo-"
 
 
"No, it's okay, I'm already boarding the bus. I'll see you tomorrow."
 
 
"Ah, okay." Disappointment coated Wendy's tone and Irene wondered if she went too far. "Well then! I love you!"
 
 
Wendy's cheery voice reached Irene's ears and the older girl bit her lips. Just as she was about to respond, Wendy had already hung up on her much to her disbelief. She ignored the little tug on her heartstrings and she trudged back home.
 
 
Irene cupped her warm cup and brought it to her lips, the strong flavor waking her up. She shook her head at the memory, her first time getting angry with Wendy.
 
 
Irene truly was sorry, because the next day she found out that the younger girl had ran to another store to buy matching keychains to put on the bag. 'To differentiate us, so we can be a couple' she said. Irene wanted to cry and just tuck Wendy into her arms, wanting to protect the innocent girl from any harm or wrath, particularly from her. She had already apologised for the misunderstanding although Wendy seemed to have forgotten what had transpired the day before, already telling Irene it wasn't her fault that Wendy had abandoned Irene suddenly.
 
 
Their first fight.. 
 
 
Irene felt her shoulders drooping, she really wanted to love Wendy. She really did. But with all the arguing and misunderstandings happening right now, she felt her feelings wavering. How do you explain to someone who has been a crucial part of you love that, to put simply, you do not feel the same way anymore.
 
 
Irene felt like crying.
 
 
Of all the other people's heart she can break, it has to be Wendy. Sweet, innocent, caring Wendy.
 
 
Just then, she heard shuffling from behind her and she doesn't have to turn around to know who it was. Irene looked up just in time to see Wendy getting her morning orange juice out of the fridge, and Irene counted the number of times, 3 times, Wendy took a sip before heading to their dining table.
 
 
Why.
 
 
"Good morning." Wendy whispered quietly, hear eyes not daring to meet Irene and that made the older girl frustrated. Frustrated because god oblivious is Wendy to her own cuteness. That cute bed hair, that oversized sweater, which she gave on their 1st anniversary and matched with her own purple ones, and her bare face. 
 
 
Irene sighed and Wendy heard it. Wendy heard every little sighs and groans Irene makes and it just tears her more inside but she doesn't want to admit it. 
 
 
But now.
 
 
"It's okay, Irene." Wendy gave a weak smile and reached over but stopped halfway, flinched, and retreated her hand back. Irene became even more frustrated. "It's okay, I'll be okay." 
 
 
Discomfit. 
 
 
"Marry me."
 
 
Irene felt her heart getting caught at , the sudden words that spilled out of lingered in the air as Wendy gave her a shocked look. Irene cleared and carried on, more determined and she slipped her hands over and held Wendy's trembling fingers.
 
 
"In this instance, I know. This may not be the perfect scenario everyone hopes for in a proposal but damn it, Wendy. Seeing you now? I know, our feelings are dying out, the flame or spark or whatever they call it is not happening anymore but damn it, I'll make this work. I'll make us work, even if it takes us 3 months, 5 years or even a decade, I'll keep trying. Nothing scares me more than losing you, it overpowers the feeling of me letting you go." Irene can feel the tears prickling her eyes and she doesn't care, not when everythings about to fall apart. "Seeing you now in this state, although you might object, but you look the most beautiful. In your natural state, your cute sleepwear and you greeting me a good morning and you always, always putting my feelings first."
 
 
Irene stood up and went on Wendy's side, she kissed the younger girl's knuckles softly and continued.
 
 
"Marry me?"
 
 
Wendy opened but no words came out, just bead after beads of tears rolling down her cheeks.
 
 
"Kiss me, if you want to marry me."
 
 
Irene gave a shy smile, and Wendy did not hesitate to connect their warm lips together.
 
 
"You surprised me." Wendy panted out, their forehead stills connected. "I thought you were going to leave me, but then this proposal I just.."
 
 
Irene gave a small chuckle. "You always seem to act based on impulse and I thought hey, maybe I should give it a try."
 
 
Irene smiled and embraced Wendy. 
 
 
Even if she did fall out of love, Irene knows just one glimpse of Wendy will surely get her falling in love once again. 
 
 
-- ♡ --