Surprises

School Sweethearts

 

---------Chapter 1: Surprises---------

-*-*Before Reading: Hello everyone! First fanfiction on AFF, I will try my hardest to not disappoint you all! I'll most likely fail... However! I've got everything planned out and I shall not give up! No matter how painful it is to write the angst in this fanfiction... You'll soon know what I mean. Just wait 10 or more chapters ;D... But it's not a happy surprise. WHAI AM I GIVING THIS AWAY?!? Oh well >3< Please enjoy everyone, Chapter 1 of School Sweethearts!

"Kim Kibum?" I heard a voice call out from behind me, "Yes?" I turned around to see a man with an unusually wide smile, "Hi! Well, uhm, you see, I'm the teacher's assistant in this class and I was wondering-" Whoa. What? "Excuse my interruption, but you're an assistant of our teacher?" I asked and he replied with a questioning look, "Ah, yes! I have been for almost half a year! I started at the beginning of the school year and introduced myself in front of the whole class. I've been helping pass out papers and provide help and answers to any questions after school." He still had a smile on his face. What a weird guy, "Oh, sorry. Must've not noticed you, especially since this is the class I hate the most." I displayed a disgusted look on my face as I glanced around my English classroom. The man apparently thought I was joking around rather than telling the truth and laughed. I locked my eyes on his own, "So, what do you need?" I asked. I was sitting down but I was determined to show him superiority and that if he thought flirting with me in the middle of my most hated class would work, he had another thing coming. After a few seconds at staring at eachother intently, he finally spoke up, "Well, I don't have a lot of time to explain anything right at the moment, but if you could just wait after school in this class room, I'd be happy to continue this conversation." he innocently said, I stared back. Was this guy serious? He's going to be that obvious? "Hey, man, I hate to break it to ya, but I'm not intere-" "Oh, please don't think I'm trying to pick you up. I wouldn't, even if you were my age." He chuckled. "Sir, I would be-" "Please, call me Onew." He interrupted me. "Yeah, whatever. Anyway, Onew, normally I'd be offended by remarks like that-" "Oh, so this has happened before?" He interrupted me again, wiggling his eyebrows playfully. I snorted, "Uh, pass. Back to what I was saying, I would've been offended by what you said, but, since I'm oddly curious about what you want to talk to me about, I'll let it go." I smiled cheekily. Before he could say anything, the bell rang and I turned back around my seat. I saw him make his way past my desk and in front of the class. Something about that guy gives me a warm feeling. What in the world am I even saying? I sighed, and looked out the window next to me.

I felt something burning holes in my cheek. I was at the back of the room and it was hard for anything to get my attention that was happening ahead of me, but as I whipped my head around, I saw the strange assistant mouthing words directed at me. "Look. At. The. Front... Please." He slowly and distinctively made shapes with his mouth. I looked at him, giving him a bewildered expression. Who does this guy think he is? I'd only met him 5 minutes ago and he's already being controlling. "What. Ever." I replied with my mouth and a joking eye roll, earning a soft giggle from the man. He was asked to help with passing out graded papers and surprisingly, he dropped them all by tripping on something that didn't even seem to be there in the first place. I scoffed, what a guy.

He handed me my test paper from last week, A+. Surprising? No, not really. I propped it on the top left hand corner of my desk and placed my chin on top of the back of my hand. Honestly, I don't want to sound like a braggart, but I do exceedingly well in this class. Which is really ironic, the class I hate with a passion is the class I do the best in. I don't study, no no no. I've got experience in the states. United States. Alright, that sounded like I was bragging, but don't get me wrong! It's nothing but facts! But that's really not important now, the only time I'll most likely ever use English is if I'm in this garbage factory they call school.

"Hey, did you know there's a teacher assistant in English?" I asked my best friend in the world, Choi Minho, as we walked to lunch. We both had the same schedule, only the order was mismatched. He chuckled, "Key, we've been in school for 4 months now. Don't you think it's time you start paying attention?" Minho's words of wisdom was ignored by my brain and I continued ranting, "Well anyway, his name's Owow-" "Onew," he corrected me as he opened the cafeteria's door for me to enter, "Yeah, okay. So I was sitting in English and all of a sudden the guy starts talking me up," Minho guffawed at my choice of words, "Shh! Will you focus?" "Sorry, continue on then." He replied, face still red from laughing. "Okay, well, he was all I don't have time to explain anything now, but come after school and we'll converse" I tried to copy his moderately deep voice but failed, atleast I think I did since Minho began to laugh, yet again. We sat down at our table, yes, our table. We were the only one who sat there, with the exception of anyone we're close friends with.

"So, I suppose there's a reason as to why you're telling me all this?" Minho asked as he began to eat his bread, "Well, duh!" I rolled my eyes as I played around with my juice in a bottle. "Well, go ahead." he motioned me to say it. "Do you think I should come? After school, I mean?" I asked, finally twisting the cap and taking a sip from it. "Well, I don't know, as long as you think he's credible you should." Minho replied. His words are really meaningful, but sometimes, they're just hopeless good-for-nothing advice since I always answer "I don't know." to them. I groaned, "What do you think I did to attract his attention anyway?" I asked grumpily. "I mean, I barely participate in class! How can I get in trouble if I never do anything?" I whimpered. "Well, maybe that's the problem." he suggested. "Oh my - no way! I never knew we had to participate! I'm so screwed!" thoughts began racing through my mind. Minho patted my back while munching on his bread. I snapped out of my condition, "You know, I expected the captain of the school's soccer team to, I don't know, eat more?" "Well, you were wrong. Anyway, how'd you do on the t-" He began to cough. "W-water!" He managed to say inbetween coughs, my initial thought: to panic. "WATER!!! WATER!!" I screeched, and prepared to get up. Minho grabbed my wrist and took the juice from my hand and drank from it. "YAH!" I hit his arm after he released a refreshed sound from his lips. "Ah~ Thanks Key." He smiled shamelessly. "No! Keep it!" I rejected his offer to hand back my juice. "Why? It's not contaminated!" He tried to persuade me to take it, "No! You'll just have to buy me a drink tomorrow!" I denied it, "You're so strong-willed Key. You're really like a woman." Minho chuckled. "Hey! At least I'm not some sports maniac like you! Who races to go to the bathroom?! What, are you really desperate to let yourself go in there?" I retaliated. "And so what if I am?" he grinned, I replied with a punch on his arm. "ANYWAY. Are you willing to come wait for me after school?" I changed the subject. He nodded and began to drink from my bottle again, it was his now. "Of course. Where do you want me to wait?" He obliged. I pursed my lips as I thought, "School's parking lot is fine with me. Which car did you luxuriously drive in today?" The corner of his lips raised as I asked the question. "Lamborghini, your favorite one." He added a side comment. I gasped, "The one with the hot pink wheels and leopard covered car seats?!" I spazzed. He nodded with a smug grin on his face. We both laughed.

Being with or near Minho seemed to be the only thing that gave me strength and happiness these days. That man cared for me and he didn't even try. He could smile and I'd be all better, he didn't even have to lift a pinky! His broad shoulders were there for me to depend on and to lay against it. His eyes were there to tell me I wasn't a perfect person but I was so close to being one. His arms were there specially made to hug me when I cried, and his long fingers were there to wipe the tears that I shed when something happened. The only downside to him was that he was rich. I'm not jealous, child, please. It's just that his parents are leaning him on going on to some high-class college across the city. My single young mother isn't able to pay for it and its not her fault. I don't want Minho to leave, he's too important to me. I love him like a brother.

The final bell rang and it was after school already. I begged Minho to come along with me so he could protect me from any danger that awaited me in that classroom. We entered the empty, silent classroom and found the assistant guy stacking papers on the teacher's desk. "Oh, you came! Great! Oh, and Mr. Choi came along as well. Please you two, sit! I'm just cleaning up, I'll be ready in 5 minutes." he hurriedly said before going back to work. Wow, even after school he still smiled like a hypocrite. Minho and I sat next to eachother in the first desks in the middle 2 rows. We watched as he placed papers in enevelopes and recycling paper in a bin. Minho stood up and offered his assitance to cleaning the chalkboard. As I sat down watching the two of them, I began to feel like a burden and decided to take an eraser and started to erase the board along with Minho. He whispered in my ears, "Look at you, helping out." I kicked his knee subtly and Onew didn't notice. After the clean-up session, Onew asked us to follow him to the front office. For crying out loud, he could've just told me to wait there instead of in the classroom. He led us to his small area in the teacher's room. Onew told us to sit down, "I need to talk to you, Kim Kibum, about something you can do for the school's community." Oh no. I looked at Minho, wanting to back-out, he smiled back at Onew and didn't respond to my plea of help. However, he did slide a chair out for me to sit in before sitting in his own seat. Minho's gentleman persona has been showing up more often recently.

"Kibum, would you like to participate in tutoring?" Onew asked. "T-tutoring? Hey, I can barely understand what I'm doing in class, how can I explain it to someone else?" I chuckled at the ridiculous thought. "Well, looking at your grades and testing scores in this school, you've never gotten anything lower than an A+, you even take the initiative to do the extra credit in your classes." He explained, "Well, really, this guy is who you're looking for." I pointed at Minho. He just put his hands up and and made an x. "I'm sorry, I can't, I have soccer practice 3 days a week for 4 more months. If I do get assigned someone to tutor, the poor guy won't improve that much." What an excuse. Onew looked back at me, "Mr. Kim, it's not as bad as you think. This contribution will be added to your school records. You'll also earn a special prize by the end of this year if you manage to help your partner receive an A+ or B- in the final exam." Onew further explained. I sighed and looked at Minho. He knew I was a er for bribes and this was wroking, especially since he used "special." I thought for a while and finally nodded, "Fine, I'll do it. But your promises need to be legit and are guaranteed to happen." I warned and he smiled. "Come in Jonghyun." he raised his voice so he could be heard outside. Minho became tense and stood up, "J-Jonghyun?" he reiterated. The door across the room opened slowly and came out a short man. He was adorable; gigantic round brown eyes, just like Minho's but much circular. His nose was cute too, small and petite. All in all, he looked like a small puppy. Minho took wide steps towards "Jonghyun" and embraced him, "Hyung!" "Minho? Minho!" the man repeated his name. His voice was pretty. Man, can the guy be any more perfect? Onew and I stood up and approached the two of them, who were still tangled up within eachother. "Ahem." I coughed jokingly, making the 3 laugh and Minho released the smaller man. How can Minho be that much taller than his hyung? I'm one of his smaller hyungs, but come on, Jonghyun was miniature. Minho walked back to my side and left Jonghyun standing next to Onew, who had put his arm around the smaller man's shoulders. "This young lad is going to be the one whom you'll be tutoring." he smiled and my jaw dropped. Him? That guy? The cute, innocent-looking one? What? Jonghyun looked confused, "Minho's going to-" "No, not him. Him." Onew pointed at me. Life's full of surprises.