Of delicious fried dumplings and troublesome egg pudding

Adaptive Management

 

 

 

At the age of 27 and a half, Kim Suho was already an outstanding businessman and the CEO of his family’s head business in Korea. He was honest, proper and a bit uptight, but you could certainly pass that up for his sense of righteousness. He was a major contributor to numerous children charities and grammar lover in his spare time. He was rich, very reasonable and considerably attractive (to some). Finally, he was a boyfriend to Red Velvet Industries’ CEO Irene Bae, the rising star of East Asian textile world. However, right now there was also something else that he was.

He was absolutely frustrated. Frustrated because the airplane seat that he had been sorted to turned out to be next to his cousin, and not next to the said girlfriend.

Under normal circumstances, it would not be such a big deal. In fact, he had thought it wasn’t. He had approached the counter at the airport and exchanged the slip that he had had assistant Do taken care of beforehand, and received four plane passes. The seat numbers and their assignations did not quite agree with him, but he had let that go, because he was going to sit next to Irene, anyway, right?

Wrong.

The moment he had sat next to the girl, his cousin’s partner pointed out that it was his spot, and could the CEO, please, move, while I’m asking nicely? Suho looked at Baekhyun incredulously, because such ridiculous turn of events had not even crossed his mind once. He, obviously, had rejected the idea at once, grabbing his girlfriend’s hand for emphasis. He had no intention of moving from the seat that had so many benefits. For once, he could hold Irene’s hand the entire time and possibly get a kiss or two out of it, when nobody was looking, of course. He could actually enjoy an intelligent conversation and spare himself snickers of ridicule. Irene would probably fall asleep at some point, too, and Suho wanted to lend her his shoulder because it had happened once before and the bubbly feeling that erupted in his stomach as a result was more than nice.

Long story short, there was only one person whom Suho was willing to sit next to, and that was Irene Bae.

However, the younger man was going excessively hysterical about the whole matter, claiming that he would call the flight attendant and they could battle it in court, for all he cared. Suho nearly snored, because what did a person like Baekhyun know about their country’s legal system in the first place? His occupation did not really require him to use his brain a lot, that must have been it. Was he a florist or a designer? Suho couldn’t quite remember, but it’s not like he was even bothered with it.

That, and he was certain that he would absolutely win the case if push came to shove.

Right then, however, Baekhyun had the upper hand, and even Irene leaned in to ask her boyfriend to relent.

‘Junmyeon, please. You know you’re above this.’ She squeezed his hand once, in request. Suho sighed and eventually left to sit next to Chanyeol, but not without sending the younger man one last hateful look. He knew he had to be the bigger man in this, but it was not so easy. Even since he became more involved with… well, people, in general, he found less and less patience to deal with them. Why couldn’t they just see reason?

Better yet, why couldn’t they see that Suho was always right?

The CEO remembered when his cousin had first introduced Baekhyun at their family gathering. All the aunties, at first suspicious of Chanyeol’s male lover, had soon embraced him as if he had always been with them, but Junmyeon knew better. There was something about the young Canadian that unnerved him and it had soon proved that Baekhyun indeed lived just to torment Suho every chance he got. Even now, the older was certain that the whole scene was caused just to mock him.

Suho ended up spending the whole journey, lips tight and boring a hole in the back of the ungrateful man’s head with his eyes, while the latter enjoyed a good conversation with Irene and even cuddled to her (their forearms touched and Irene did not move her manicured limb, so it counted. She was equally guilty and Suho was not at all paranoid about it). He had no mind to listen to what Chanyeol was trying to discuss with him and was immensely relieved when the two lovers finally left them, their accommodation for the duration of their stay located somewhere else. It was enough that they tricked Suho into paying for their tickets from his company’s budget, he was not going to pay for their hotel as well.

What business did they have in Beijing, anyway? He would enjoy this trip so much more if he didn’t have the two men tail them every step of the way. Not that Suho was here to enjoy, it was just a figure of speech. His amazingly reasonable girlfriend was closing a deal and he was there to just…  Well, yeah, anyway, there was definitely more use of his presence at Irene’s side than the snickering couple’s. Yeah.

They had early dinner at the restaurant recommended by assistant Do and went to check in at the hotel, after which Suho was courteously invited by his girlfriend to have some tea in her room. He was hoping for some earl grey and possibly a biscuit, but he left the place nearly two hours later, completely dizzy and with swollen lips, and no tea was ever served. Suho was confused, because if tea was sometimes a secret code for kissing, what was he supposed to do from now on when he was again invited to one by somebody that was not his girlfriend? His life had been a lie.

His night passed on such philosophical divagations and he felt exhausted in the morning. He had known from the start that being in a relationship would give him indigestion.

Nevertheless, the grey suit that he had left at the dry cleaner’s on the first floor the night before, was delivered to his room at nine o’clock sharp and he moved downstairs to have breakfast with Irene. She was wearing a neat colourful dress and she looked so reasonable, that Suho immediately grabbed her hand to let other men in the lobby know that her reasonableness had already been taken. After the decent meal – they did not serve soy milk or cream butter, and Suho became quite annoyed at their inefficiency to please the client – they took a stroll around the adjoined shopping centre, where Irene joyously spent a lot of her, and even more of his, money, and strangely, Suho did not even care that much. Kisses after all of that seemed like a sufficient compensation for his suffering account.

At exactly 1pm, clothes changed and moods somewhat refreshed, the couple found themselves on the fifth floor of a big corporate building in the down town of Beijing. ECompany took up its first five floors, for now at least, but Suho had familiarised himself with the details of their business and quickly realised that Zhang Yixing had a lot going on for him and that their expansion was indeed easily foreseeable in the near future. Any businessman looking down at them for not being formidable in size would be a fool, because with all the potential that ECompany held, their relevancy in the field was just a matter of time.

Judging from the thought that Irene put into their contract, she could see it too. That was expected of course, since she was easily one of the most intelligent women he had ever met.

Also, the only woman whose hygiene Suho deemed satisfactory enough to exchange saliva with on regular basis, but that was beside the point.

‘CEO Bae, CEO Kim.’ A young man in black suit trousers, white shirt and a strangely looking necktie approached them, extending his hand. He spoke in a slightly accented Korean. ‘I’m Zhang Yixing, we have spoken on several occasions. Welcome to Beijing.’ He gestured at the young woman standing not too far behind him. She wore a light grey dress and sported a neat blond bun on her head. In general, Suho found bleached hair offensive to his eyes, but otherwise, the girl looked sharp so he decided to push his prejudice aside. For now. ‘This is my assistant, Wendy Son.’

The weather outside was scorching hot and looking at both the hosts and Irene, Suho finally understood why his girlfriend insisted on his leaving the jacket behind and instead, wearing a lighter shirt. Both women wore short sleeved dresses and even Zhang Yixing managed to pull some sort of business –but-not-quite look to his attire. In a nutshell, it was only Suho suffocating in his three piece suit.

However, he said nothing. Appropriate outfit was important and Suho would stand by it until the very end - when he would probably melt or get a or something like that, but again, it was beside the point.

They made small talk, nothing significant: about the weather (too hot for his liking, but Suho didn't get to say anything), about the flight (now that was definitely a matter that Irene did not wish for him to utter even one more word of) and about the hotel that had been booked for them (the lack of cream butter, anyone?). Despite the urge to just scream his frustrations out in the open, the young businessman managed to maintain his dignity - with a barely noticeable grimace gracing his lips but who could blame him - and soon the couple on the Chinese side suggested stepping out of the office for lunch.

Suho saw it coming - but it didn't mean that he was in any way prepared for the fact that he found himself having to accompany the unknown young woman that seemed simply… too blonde. He saw her nudging her boss and quickly whispering something to him, to which the latter just nodded and bam! Irene was suddenly walking arm in arm with him, discussing business and what not, while Suho was left behind, standing awkwardly next to the assistant, who looked at him expectantly. Now, Suho was not one to offer his arm to just anyone, let alone a random woman whom he did not know and who, on top of that, had probably been contaminated with years of living in Beijing's smog. He just didn't think he could do this.

He would probably still be standing there, looking uncomfortable and trying to decide what to do, if Zhang Yixing did not turn around after taking just a few steps and motioned and his assistant to join them, offering his other arm. The girl seemed quite relieved, to Suho’s great offence, because while he might have been a bit awkward, surely he was not completely antisocial. That aside, to his great satisfaction, after just a few steps Irene let the other two lead the way and found her boyfriend instead, gently pulling him along.

'Miss Son would not eat you, you know.' She remarked lightly, the mirth ever present in her eyes when speaking to Suho. He had learnt to brush it off with time, but he was still far, far away from understanding what was so amusing about his way of being.

'I just wasn't sure whether she had a chance to wash her hands.' He scoffed, to which Irene just chuckled quietly.

Now happy and a bit calmer, Suho looked ahead to where the hosts were walking. They seemed very comfortable with each other, the way he placed his right arm around her waist to keep her from harm's way and how she discreetly fixed his weird tie. At first surprised by the fact that a simple assistant was so involved in discussing business with them (because while assistant Do was becoming more and more efficient these days, he was certainly not part of the management), Suho eventually concluded that like Irene, Wendy Son had to be Zhang Yixing’s reasonable woman and that the two  of them had to drink tea together quite often. Did they drink it as frequently as Irene and he? If they did, it was probably only due to the  longer duration of their sampling period. Must have been that, because Suho was definitely drinking his tea with Irene every chance he got. 

Normally, he wouldn't spare such matters a thought, and he usually wasn't one to advocate office romance either, but he was, after all, the first to start sleeping with his business enemy (figuratively speaking, of course, because he still had a long way to go before he could even consider letting another human being's sweaty feet anywhere near his linen bedding) so he couldn't really be a hypocrite now. And anyway, it was better this way, because Zhang Yixing could be responsible for his scary blonde assistant and Suho would gladly lend his arm to his reasonably clean girlfriend.

Everything proceeded as planned, until they arrived at the restaurant, and that’s where Suho experienced an epiphany of sorts. The place looked cosy and, well, pink, for the lack of a better word, but it was also full of couples and the smell of dumplings was overwhelming, and it led Suho to the most random of conclusions that he should stop sampling and finally make the desired purchase.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

Didn't his girlfriend drop little hints from time to time as to how she wished to be treated? Suho was not great at reading between the lines, but he could with all confidence recognise a clue when he saw one.  He heard her saying that she liked trips - and well, they were on one now, right? Technically, it was a business trip, but surely it had to add to the pleasure of a regular outing, because who didn't like business trips? Suho knew he did.

And just the other day, he heard Irene say that she loved to be surrounded by fragrant smells, and wasn't the smell of food the best? Suho enjoyed fried dumplings a lot - in fact, it was one of the few guilty pleasures that he indulged in on regular basis. There was just something about the way the oil heated up and made that scorching sound on the frying pan, and later, when he finally got to taste the food, the glass noodles and variety of vegetables that served as filling naturally melted on his tongue.

If proposing felt like eating dumplings,  Suho wouldn't mind doing it every day.

They had been together almost six months - in business terms, that period was more than sufficient to construct a strategy and achieve various goals that the company had planned out for. While Suho could not say with all honesty that he understood the mechanics of what six months meant for the romantic arrangement that he shared with Irene Bae - and whether she was even content with the quality of his services - he would rather not find out needed answers through Sehun's and Minseok's constant teasing. And really, there was no time to waste because they were leaving Friday morning and the CEO absolutely had to bring his girlfriend to this place again the very next evening. It all seemed too perfect to miss the opportunity.

Suho was forever insecure about Irene’s company, that much he could already admit in front of himself, albeit very reluctantly. In the short time that he spent with the girl, he had to rediscover a lot about himself that he had thought he had figured out, and was still coming to terms with the fact that Irene found some of the qualities that he was most proud of, disturbing or simply boring. That’s why, following the simple logic that he always applied when dealing with difficult matters, he inevitably concluded that the reason for their dating period was to get to know each other, and once they did, there was no time to waste.

He saw on Discovery Channel once that females of various species tended to become bored with their male partners and in consequence, turned unfaithful. Suho had no idea how much truth it held in relation to women, but he wasn’t willing to risk it. He had already invested too much into this relationship, not to mention, the quality of Irene’s kisses was, in his opinion, outstanding. If he could, he would have written them a formal review a long time ago.

Per his girlfriend’s request, Suho refrained from talking too much during dinner – if she wanted to handle her business by herself, he could only support her silently. It unfortunately meant, that all there was left for him to do, was to pathetically stuff his face with countless dumplings and chip into the conversation whenever he was directly asked for an opinion. He also blankly stared at how Zhang Yixing was expertly sorting through the tender parts of the lobster served, offering all the juicy pieces to the woman sitting close to him. She turned a feverish shade of pink but looked incredibly pleased with his actions, and Suho sadly thought that he also wanted the meat, but couldn’t eat sea food due to his severe allergy.

At least he was not suffering alone, because the other man also did not take even one bite of it. However, having heard that the other was a vegetarian, Suho stopped pitying him at once. The Chinese had brought it upon himself, Suho smirked condescendingly.

Zhang Yixing seemed like a smart, nice and attentive human being, and objectively speaking, the CEO of EXO Textiles had no choice but to acknowledge his positive qualities. For some reason, however, his behaviour did not sit well with the younger man. It didn’t help that Irene looked at the man clearly impressed, and Suho’s frown deepened, because there she was, being impressed by somebody’s ability to cut lobster in perfect little cubes, while her boyfriend was preparing the biggest surprise of her life.

His mood lightened instantly, considering the ring that he had picked out and so thoughtfully carried around with him. Now was the time to use it.

The dinner dragged out for too long, in Suho’s opinion, and he was about to suggest going back to the hotel, when the Chinese CEO beat him to it and invited them to Chinese karaoke, instead. Suho hated singing, because it meant public humiliation but Irene loved it – singing, mind you, not public humiliation - so there was no turning back. He knew he would have to sit through many cheesy duets and rounds of vodka before the whole ordeal was over.

He was pleasantly surprised that there was hardly any alcohol involved. Apparently, Zhang Yixing did not drink by choice – what was so impressive about this boring man?, Suho thought with a frown, conveniently choosing not to remember his own embarrassing adventures with hard liquor – and it was only the two women in between them, sipping on their colourful drinks.

‘Let’s sing a duet.’ Irene joyfully suggested and Suho inwardly groaned. She looked so much different from her usual calm self, smiling widely and joking with both the Chinese man and his secretary, that if Suho weren’t aware of her reasonable personality, he wouldn’t approach her with a stick at that moment.

He had no time to complain, because he was already being handed the microphone and Irene closed her eyes, randomly dropping her index finger on one of the titles written in the song book. Suho was completely taken aback – he had no idea that she could behave in such an average way. This country was influencing her in the worst way possible.

‘It’s Nagging!’ Suho had never once in his life voluntarily listened to the music played on the radio, unless it was a classical music concert being broadcast, of course, so he had no idea who the artist was or how to even start singing this obviously bubble pop-ish tune, but it didn’t really matter to Irene, who happily twirled and bobbed her head, practically singing the whole song by herself.

The song told a story of a couple who always fought with each other about things that they ultimately deemed unimportant. According to the young CEO, however, the writer of those silly lyrics couldn’t have had a good grasp of reality, because those things were not unimportant – in fact, Suho would argue that the singer’s boyfriend’s drinking problem fully entitled the girl to nag him all she wanted. And no amount of “love” would change that.

At least Irene’s voice made it sound a bit more reasonable, but Suho expected nothing less. She was his girlfriend, after all.

After they finished, Zhang Yixing held out his hand to the blonde woman, who seemed to share Suho’s reluctance to take the stage by the proverbial storm, because she wouldn’t stand up. She squirmed and sent the man above her a pleading look, which he either missed or purposely ignored and eventually hauled her up, handing her the song book. She closed her eyes, pained expression on her face, to which her boss could only laugh.

He was laughing at her misery. Suho was beginning to notice how inconsiderate Zhang Yixing was in reality, and he was going to tell Irene all about it the moment they would finally be alone.

It was a song by somebody called Zhang Dong Liang, from what Suho could tell. He hated that his Chinese was never as good as he wished for it to be, so he always pretended that he had never studied it, rather than admit his weakness. The melody started.

‘They sing so well.’ Irene whispered to him, sighing and having that small smile on her lips, the one that always told Suho that he was missing something. Why was she sighing at their singing? Was she, by any chance, tired of their company? Suho knew that he was.

While neither of them was very proficient in the art of music, their voices sounded pleasant together, even the young CEO had to admit that. The more they sang, the redder the blonde assistant turned and Suho was seriously considering advising her to make an appointment at the doctor. The inconsiderate Zhang Yixing surely must have been overworking her.

By having you, my world has changed… You became the strength that I depend on….  I’ll keep you close… I’ll embrace you tightly in my arms… Because of you, I can’t help but be this way…

This song was just plain strange, Suho concluded. Why was Zhang Yixing singing those things to the terrified, sickly woman, who clearly did not want to accompany him in his music endeavours and who could not even meet his eye anymore? Suho must have had it all wrong when he had thought that she stayed by her boss’s side willingly. Perhaps she was being threatened by him?

Suho took a mental note to discuss this problem with his girlfriend. It could be a matter of life and death, after all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The very next morning, Suho made sure to call the concierge and ask him to made a reservation at the restaurant where they had all eaten the night before.

When they met for breakfast a while later, Irene seemed in a good mood, so Suho tried to bring up the topic of human slavery that was possibly going on in ECompany, but his girlfriend kept giggling at what she called “his strange ideas” and immediately dismissed his concern.

‘Jun Myeon-ah, the two of them are so adorably awkward with each other that they will probably start some serious sampling any day now.’ She affectionately patted his cheek and turned away to reach for her coffee.

Naturally, Suho frowned as the lack of care that the woman displayed, because while he himself had previously believed in Irene’s theory, it seemed no longer viable. For some reason, he couldn’t stop worrying about the poor Korean girl who worked long and daunting hours at her horrible boss’s office.

But then his cousin and his partner showed up out of the blue, along with Irene’s little sister Sooyoung, and Suho completely forgot to care about anyone but himself, because he was suddenly dragged by force to yet another shopping centre and before he realised, his black credit card had already paid for the majority of his companions’ expensive purchases.

 

 

 

‘Don’t do it. You’re gonna screw up and I will have to clean up your mess.’ Minseok vehemently rejected the idea of Suho proposing to Irene so suddenly, on top of everything, in what he called “a dirty, smelly dumpling establishment”.

‘It’s a perfect opportunity.’ Suho argued, looking around in case Irene was watching him. He squeezed his cell phone tighter.

‘It’s a recipe for disaster.’ Minseok declared, but his friend didn’t listen.

He knew his girlfriend better, after all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The moment they took their seats at the booked table, Suho told Irene that he had to use the toilet, and sneaked to the reception to hand them the ring.

‘…then she finds the ring in the egg pudding and your violinists come out and start playing a very joyful tune…’ Suho stopped his tirade the moment he realised that the receptionist did not follow his speech at all.

‘…who?’ His English was very limited, apparently.

‘Woman.’ Suho gestured at his girlfriend, leisurely looking through the menu in the background.

‘Brown woman?’ The receptionist made sure and Suho just sighed, nodding upon realising that the other referred to Irene’s brown hair. ‘Ring, pudding, music, brown woman.’ A big smile appeared on the man’s face as he patted Suho’s back and left for the kitchen.

The young CEO could only hope that the waiter was not already on the way out, running away with Suho’s  expensive ring.

The moment he sat back on his chair again, he heard a voice above them.

‘What a coincidence.’ Suho looked up and, to his great surprise, saw Zhang Yixing with a petite brunette by his side. ‘I had no idea that such a traditional restaurant would turn out to be to your fancy.’

‘Jun Myeon insisted that we come back here. He’s very fond of friend dumplings.’ Irene chipped in before Suho could come round from the state of utter speechlessness at the unplanned encounter. ‘Miss Son, nice to see you again. Your new hair colour suits you.’ Irene invited both to sit with them, which the two seemed to gladly do. That’s when it hit Suho that the scary blonde assistant was no longer blonde, but instead, sported a light shade of amber on her head.

She now strangely resembled somebody that Suho felt he didn’t like, but he just couldn’t put his finger on the resemblance.

The couple, who apparently frequented the restaurant quite often due to its closeness to their company, could effectively ruin everything that Suho had put together for the occasion; nevertheless, he decided to carry out the rest of the plan. Not like he could take it all back, anyway, since he wasn’t even sure where his ring could be at the moment.

Just before the desert, Irene excused herself to the toilet, and Zhang Yixing followed her a few seconds later. That’s when it all happened.

The same person whom Suho had talked to – and who apparently doubled as a waiter in this establishment – brought their egg puddings. Grinning from ear to ear, he winked at Suho and took a few steps back, still observing intently what was going on at the table. Suho looked at him, frowning in confusion and the man secretly pointed to the only person that stayed behind with Suho – Zhang Yixing’s blonde-but-not-so-blonde assistant.

She was not blonde anymore. Suho’s eyes widened in realisation and he turned around quickly to prevent the disaster from happening, but it was too late. He heard her groan in pain as she unknowingly bit the hard surface of a diamond ring hidden in the dessert that she had been served. Suho stilled. The woman reached to and recovered the golden band, clearly not understanding anything.

Then the group of violinists jumped out of nowhere and started playing the previously agreed festive melody, and Suho literally stopped breathing.

‘Say yes!’ The waiter shouted in broken English, because he could not hide his excitement, and to Suho’s mortification, started skipping around them, pointing at both of them with a huge smile on his face.

‘What is this?’ The girl in front of him raised the ring and looked at him, questions written all over her face. ‘Is this some sort of a joke?’

‘It’s not a joke, it’s… Could you, please, stop this nonsensical noise for a moment?’ Suho turned around to the orchestra, but his Korean pleads had no effect on them. If anything, they started playing louder.

‘It’s not a joke, it’s not meant for you, it’s-‘ He grabbed for her hand, trying to reclaim what was his, and instinctively, Zhang Yixing’s assistant stood up and took a step back, trying to free her hand from his grasp. They wrestled above the table for a few short moments, before somebody shoved his shoulder hard and Suho stumbled backwards, nearly falling to the ground.

The girl might have been confused, but her boss’s expression was anything but pleasant.

‘What is going on here?’ If Suho had any will to fight, it would leave him this very moment, upon hearing the other’s deep voice. For a man who didn’t drink or eat meat, Zhang Yixing could sure make himself look threatening.

Finally, the musicians stopped playing and were just gaping at the two grown men arguing in Korean, much like the rest of the dining hall.

‘It’s not what it looks like.’ Suho raised both his hands, hoping to calm everyone down. He felt so miserable right now.

‘Then what is it? Because it looks like you, sir, grabbed my companion’s wrist and was trying to force her to do something that she didn’t want to do.’

‘What? No! It’s not like that!’ Suho panicked. The last thing that he needed was to get sued over ual harassment of a poor, overworked Korean woman, when all he wanted was to propose to his girlfriend.

In China.

‘Is this what gentlemen do in Korea? Do you touch innocent ladies as you please and use force when they don’t submit?’

‘No!’ Suho lost his cool, something he was usually very good at maintaining. He ran his fingers through his hair. He noticed that he was sweating. ‘Your employee accidently received something that was not meant for her and I was just trying to take it back. That’s the whole story.’

The older man turned to the brunette half hidden behind back.

‘Is he saying the truth?’ The girl shook her head, frowning.

‘I honestly don’t know what just happened. I took a spoon of my dessert and the next thing I know, I have a ring in my mouth, and CEO Kim is grabbing my wrist, and…’

‘So you did grab her.’ Zhang Yixing frowned. Suho refuted.

‘Not intentionally. The ring was meant for CEO Bae. I-I was hoping to propose.’ He lowered his voice, trying the fend the blush away, because Kim Suho did not blush. He did not.

His words had both people standing in front of him frown even deeper.

‘With all due respect, sir, this is ridiculous. I can confidently say that no woman ever would like to be proposed to in such a way.’ The assistant frowned. Her boss just sighed. He took the ring from her hand and placed it on the table.

‘I’ll let this go, since you didn’t mean offence, but this is unacceptable. I’m just glad that it’s CEO Bae that we are doing business with, otherwise we would have had a serious problem. I cannot tolerate such behaviour, whatever the reason.’ Suho stared at the older, much like his female companion did. Both of them seemed to be equally surprised at the man’s outburst. ‘I trust you understand that we will not be seeing you off. Convey my respects to your partner.’

Both were gone by the time Suho realised that he could not just let them go like this. It was completely unprofessional, not to mention, a complete misunderstanding. When he ran out of the restaurant, however, they were nowhere to be found. He returned to the table, in time to stuff the golden source of his current misery deep into his pocket and that’s how Irene found him a minute later.

‘What’s happened here? Where are CEO Zhang and Miss Son?’ She looked around. The waiter came over to put the bottle of champagne that Suho had ordered, on the table. He half smiled at Suho, his eyes flicking to Irene hopefully. Suho groaned at the mere suggestion of going through all of this once again.

Nobody could ever learn about this incident.

 

 

 

‘Did you do it? Did you propose?’ Minseok asked, exasperated. There was no sight of an engagement ring on Irene’s finger.

‘No.’ Suho replied fast, not looking at his friend. Minseok just sighed, pretending that he believed him. Some things were better left unknown.