Illusion

Debilitated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They didn't all give up, not straight away at least.

The day after the accident, they had come looking for me. For us. And just for a second, here was a shred of light.

Flash back

 A small, distressed moan was what woke me the following morning. I managed to sleep through the first few, putting them down to my imagination, but after the fourth cry, I groaned sleepily, turning in the comfort of the covers. For one beautiful moment, I had no memory of the tragedy that haunted my dreams yesterday. For one small minute, it was all a horrible dream, and I was lying face down in my bed at past noon. Omma would march up the stairs, demanding I rise and face school.

But that wasn't going to happen, not today. Or ever again.

As that fact registered, I finally stirred in my sleep, as I quickly regained consciousness. I opened my eyes to see I was lying in our parents bed. But Ommma and Appa were nowhere to be found. A searing pain cut though my chest as reality hit me again. It took a few seconds for me to be able to breathe again. In the end, it was the shrunken figure in front of me that calmed my racing panic.

A soft noise gained my attention, and I finally realised the source of the weak noises was none other than Jungkook.

I stared at my little brother, his eyes still puffy from the tears he, no we, shed last night. He was lying on his side, curled up like a child hiding from reality. He seemed to be having a troublesome sleep, frowning even unconscious. My heart strings tugged, as he screwed up his face, and I ached to wake him, but he needed rest. He let out a whimper, and his bottom lip trembled as he curled up even more, and I instictively moved forward. I reached out, pushing the hair out of his eyes softly. When he whimpered again, I moved closer, sitting up in front of him. I his forehead, as out mother used to do when he was ill as a child, smoothing the creases of distress and humming softly. To my satisfaction his scowl disppeared, and his expression became one of comfort. His whimpers ceased. 

I stayed with my brother, humming softly as time passed without measure. We were in our own little safe haven, time was a concept that simply slipped away.

Eventually, Jungkook drfted off in to a deep sleep, and I had lay beside him a little longer, attempting to join his blissful ignorance. But my rest was over; it was time to face my life. After making sure he was fast asleep, I finally surrendered to the insomnia, standing and sneaking out of the room, closing the door softly. He needed to rest; we'd had a late night.

Ten minutes later, I sat alone in front of the sofa, in the dark living room. The sun had risen outside, an autumn morning, but the thick curtains blocked it out. I usually threw them open as soon as I got the chance; I hated the dark. But today was different. Today, I was scared what I would see.

Instead I stared blankly at the tv screen. It was on some news channel; it barely mattered. I wasn't watching; it was purely to fill the silence. The time screamed out at me from the bottom of the screen. 

7:17am.

Almost ten hours since I had received the call that turned my life upside down. Nine hours since Appa had bid me his last goodbye. They had told me after I finally calmed down, that my mother had barely been alive at the scene, but was not pronounced dead until she arrived in the operating room. How much pain she must've been in, and yet I know she was only thinking of one thing. Us. What we would do without her. That she wasn't going to be around to watch Jungkook grow, she wouldn't see her grandchildren.

I shivered to myself, rubbing my arms and pulling my legs up to the sofa. It was too quiet.

Directing my attention towards the tv, I forced myself out of the darkness which had begun to envelope me without me noticing. Anything to keep me sane, even the dull droan of the new reporter. It was on a local news channel, only broadcasted in our area.

"And last night the first of the awful weather made an appearance, drenching roads and soaking your washing," the ovely-smiley reporter winked. "A weather warning has been issued, as specialists are reccomending you stay off the roads, only driving if absolutely necessary. Be careful out there, stay saf-"

I gripped the remote in my hand as the screen went blank. It was as if the happy reporter mocked me, that script was meant for us. I sat in the silence, absorbing the emptiness I had been trying to avoid.

My eyes fell on my father's arm chair. I could see him sitting there. I could see him watching tv, smiling, calling me. I could see a young Jungkook sitting on his lap, as he read him stories, as our mother playfully nagged at him to go to bed. My father always was the good cop out of the two, forcing my mother to take on the nagging. My eyes flickered to the kitchen, as my mind went back to my childhood. Just as Jungkook would always be following Appa, I'd always be with Omma. Despite being a busy fam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter