The Return

Remember the Rhododendrons

"Hey, Jieun."

Jieun, who was sitting down on the purple ground, lifted her eye lids. She looked at Mino, who gestured her to follow him.

"It's time to go," he said.

She stared at him for a little bit. He had definitely gotten paler compared to when they had first arrived. Exhaustion was clearly evident on his face along. His personality, which used to be the typical bright popular boy, had diminished to the point where he became darker and almost ghostly. Amongst the two, it was clear that he was the one who had suffered more. After all, he was cursed with the flower mark along with uncontrollable dark powers.

But Jieun? She was blessed with her golden shimmers that made any wish come true. Of course, there seemed to be some restriction, but it was far more better than having whatever power Mino had. She wondered if she had changed for the better or the worse. 

While they went into hiding for the past few months, the two were finally feeling more comfortable and less loss with their powers. With a better understanding of how their curse or power worked, the two felt that they were finally ready to go back and rescue Myungsoo and Naeun. Taemin was hesitant at first, but had accepted when Jieun persisted to saving them. 

They agreed that they would save Naeun first before finding Myungsoo, especially since they heard that Myungsoo was captured by a higher-ranked Captain. Neither Jieun or Mino knew how Taemin got the news, especially since Taemin couldn't escape the purple world without Jieun's powers. However, they decided to believe Taemin and not question him, as they had learned to remain silent whenever something became odd.

"Got it," Jieun said, taking a deep breath. She got up from the ground and followed Mino to where Taemin was. 

Taemin wasn't standing too far from them. He was probably a few feet away from where Jieun was sitting. When the two met up with Taemin, he glanced at Jieun.

"Are you ready?" Taemin asked.

Jieun nodded. "Ready."

"Remember, going out there isn't the same as being here," Taemin reminded them.

"We understand," Mino and Jieun said.

"Your powers are controlled because of Jieun and this sand. Once we go out of here, you'll need to do all you can to keep your powers in control," Taemin told Mino.

Mino hid his mark with a scarf that Jieun had wished for during the couple of months that they were in this world. "Don't worry about me. Worry about yourself when we're out there."

Taemin, mused, nodded and turned to Jieun. "Are you ready?"

"I just need to go to where Naeun is, right?"

"Correct," Taemin said. He grabbed onto Jieun's left shoulder while Mino grabbed onto her right. "Take us to Naeun."

"Okay." Jieun took a deep breath and clasped her hand. "Please take us to where Naeun is!"

Light appeared along with the gold shimmers. The three closed their eyes, embracing the light as they were guided to wherever Naeun was.

 


 

Bora dropped her magic orb on the ground. Minhyuk stared at her, appalled by her drastic action. She suddenly fell to the ground with her hands trembling. A small giggle came out before it was followed by a hysteric cry. Shocked, Minhyuk quickly casted a quick spell to hide all the sound she was making from the outside world. He quickly kneeled besides her and dug into her pocket, trying to find the wooden cube. He glared down at it when he realized that the cube was nearly all burnt.

"Why were you reading so carelessly?" Minhyuk asked. "This is nearly burned! You need to make a new one!"

"I-I can't believe it!" Bora shouted, wickedly laughing. "The Creator! The Creator is here!"

Minhyuk frowned. "What?"

"The Wanted One! The Wanted One!" Bora covered an eye with her hand. "Oh? Oh! We got the Cursed One! The Cursed One is here, too!"

"Snap out of it!" he cried out, slapping her cheek. Bora stopped laughing and held her breath. She stared at her familiar for a long time before clinging onto a shard of the magic orb.

"I have to find her!" Bora murmured. She tried to get up, but her legs felt weak. "I-I need to find her. I need to capture the Wanted One and bring her to the Council Leader. I-I have to do it fast. I-I have to do it now—"

"You are in no condition to search. The moment you step out, the moment that everyone is going to realize what you've been doing. If the Council Leader founds out, it's off with your head and the other witches," Minhyuk pointed out. "Do you understand the gravity of the situation?"

"I-I do, but I have to go! If I lose her, then it could be months before I find her again!" the witch pointed out. "Months? No, not months. Years. It can be years before I find her!"

"I'll go and find her," Minhyuk said. He quickly switched into a cat. "Give me wherever she is and I'll keep an eye on her. Once you rest tonight, you can fly on your broom stick and catch up with me."

Bora stiffened. "But she's here, Minhyuk. She's here."

"Where? In the village?"

Bora smirked. "In my brain."

She laughed again, pounding the floor. Minhyuk hissed before clawing Bora's face, snapping her out of attention.

"Stop going back to those books! Do you realize what kind of condition you're in? You're insane!" the cat pointed out.

"I-I'm sorry," Bora muttered, not really meeting his eyes. "I-I'm just exhausted." She stifled a laugh. "W-What's happening to me?"

"You're going insane," Minhyuk said with a painful tone. "As your familiar, I can't let you go out. If they end up lynching you, then I die. I'm perfectly fine with me sacrificing myself since that won't affect you, though. That's what our contract states."

"I'm sorry you have to deal with someone like me," Bora said slowly, trying to make sure that she didn't laugh.

"Nonsense," Minhyuk said in a small voice. "You're the reason why I wanted to live again. I was only a useless cat before I met you and made a contract with you."

"I'll stay in here for a while," Bora told him, heading to the couch. "I won't read. I'll just r-rest and see what happens." She covered to prevent herself from laughing. "T-Take this!" She handed him a shard of glass. He clamped it between his teeth. "This is going to s-show—Pft!—you were the Wanted One is—hee, hee!"

"Don't say anymore," Minhyuk told her quickly. "I'll take care of this."

"I-I'm counting on you!" Bora managed to sputter out before going back into her craze. She kicked her feet against the wood while Minhyuk quickly made his escape, hoping to find the one with the Galaxial Wish before anything else could happen.

A little further away from him, a sly smile appeared on a fellow man holding a guitar. He strummed it a little, causing a familiar figure to appear next to him.

"Naeun, you see that little cat scurrying over there?" Yonghwa asked. The female nodded. A wild look masked his smile. "Kill it."

"Yes, Captain," Naeun said. She took out a hilt from her boot and pointed it in front of her. A sharp wind spiraled around the hilt, acting as the blade of the sword. Just as she was about to jump off the tall tree they were standing on, Yonghwa clicked his tongue.

"Oh yeah," Yonghwa said slowly. "If anyone gets in your way, kill them, too."

"Of course," Naeun said, nodding her head. She jumped off the tree and landed to the ground before running to chase the cat.

Yonghwa, still on the tallest branch of the tree, laughed and sat down while he played some music.

"How fun!" he exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear.