Prologue

Café Scent

Prologue

 

Ah – Carina, the famous town for its’ rich culture of fine dining; beautiful streets that are surrounded with restaurants, bistros, bars and restaurants. Oops – did I say ‘restaurants’ twice? For 50 years, you will never finish eating in all different eateries in Carina – you may, but you will have to stay alive for another 50 years to go through them all. What's also prominent are the Cafes; the attractive scent of coffee in the morning; the mouthwatering frosted cake; the sounds of crunching breads; handsome staffs that always greet you with gorgeous smiles; the fine wine only opened to public at night. To people in Carina, who are called Carinans, Cafes are special and only riches may enter due to the posh services.

Well, no wonder, the staffs are all of high class since they were taught to be waiters and waitresses and cooks from a very young age. Most of them were forced to be who they are now, serving their manager until they are finally freed, that is whenever the manager feels freeing them. Madam Zee is also a manager. The 40 year-old owns one of the best café in Carina, having 19 staffs and 6 staff assistants, whose ages range from 6-8, who'll grow up to eventually work for her.

 

Covered with her lavish fur coat, she smoked her pipe and laid her heavy head onto her hand, supporting it, as she stares at the tall man, pouring the exclusive wine into the slight-empty glass of the half-drunk woman. Sehun’s hair was handsomely combed above his head, not letting one strand of hair fall down to cover his undeniably pretty face. He didn’t like meeting eyes with Madam Zee’s wrinkled face that's pale as snow, dark lipstick covering her lips and sharp dark-colored eyes that still stare at him – afraid of being grossly trifled by his own manager if he looks back. Finally, the Madam glanced away and drank the whole glass that had just refilled by the black-vested man; Sehun quietly let loose a sigh of relief. “We need a singer,” the Madam said suddenly with a grouchy voice and had Sehun jumped. But quickly he replied with the same straight face he used before, “Yes, Ma’am.” Though Sehun couldn’t see what the need was but agreeing to every customer’s words is part of the service.

“That new café at the corner of the street has stolen our customers with that band of theirs,” she explained why. “I’ve hired talented musicians in the town. I even hired those Ogles to attract more customers. Do you know how much that costs me?”

 

Madam Zee was depressed even though her voice was weak to show anger. Of course, she should be depressed. After all, Ogles, those cute creatures that floats in the air with their tiny wings and has cute horns sticking above its’ head, were quite costly at the time.

 

“Very much, Ma’am,” replied Sehun as he continually wipes the washed glasses and placed them in the right order behind the bar. The old woman sighed; she was tired; she was depressed. She laid her head above the counter and shut her eyes, drunk. But before she could enhance herself into a drunken sleep, she heard a perfect high-note singing to a familiar song. She stood and Sehun gaped at her as she walked into the back of the bar. As she gets closer to the sound, the singing became clearer and clearer and Madam Zee was engrossed to the beautiful, well-practiced song. She opened the door to the staffs’ room and found one of her loyal staffs, an average waitress, blowing all the dust away with the feather duster in her hand while singing. Her looks were average; not too good-looking, not too ugly. Maybe more attractive if granted a makeover.

 

She is perfect, Madam Zee concluded.