Past Troubles

Is This Fate?

"Wait!" Serenity cut Keli off, "we have to go in at least groups of two. So let's decide where we want to go first."

"I want to go to Austria," Keli stated matter-of-factly.

"Let's go to Malaysia...." Serenity mumbled.

"Austria pleaseeee," Keli pleaded.

"Why Austria?" Serenity asked warily.

"You're always looking for a new place to take pictures of, right? Expand your skills as a photographer and all?" Keli asked Serenity, "well, Austria is the perfect place for that!"

"I never really thought of my photography," Serenity frowned slightly.

"Austria has the Hofburg Imperial Palace, which is absolutely gorgeous," Keli began, "and the Vienna State Opera has amazing architecture that would look amazing in photos. Also, the-"

"Alright, alright," Serenity laughed, "I never knew you would think about my interests so much. We'll go to Austria."

"Yeah!" Keli cheered, pulling Serenity into a tight hug.

Ms. Arla wrote that down with a small smile on her face, "but why aren't you asking Chae Won or Nam Chul if they want to join you?"

"Because we already know where they want to go. And no matter how much I try, they'll never change their opinion," Keli explained with a smile.

"They made up their mind the second they heard of this trip," Serenity added with a light laugh.

"Oh?" Ms. Arla asked, looking at the two of us, "and where would you like to go?"

Nam Chul and I looked at each other, and laughed.

"South Korea!"

~2 weeks later~

"Well, I guess this is goodbye?" Serenity asked, looking at us sadly. Around us, people from all over the world rushed around the airport, carrying their luggage and trying to get to their terminal on time.

"Don't forget about us!" Keli exclaimed.

"And don't come back with a perfect boyfriend," Serenity added with a frown in my direction.

I lightly hit her on the arm, "yah, I don't only think about dating!"

Serenity laughed, "sure, that's it~"

"Have fun, okay? Take lots of pictures!" Keli cheered, "and we'll be sure to send you all of Serenity's pictures as well."

"This goodbye is getting a bit too long for my taste," Nam Chul mumbled.

Keli rolled her eyes, "try not to miss us too much, okay?" Laughing, she pulled Nam Chul into a hug. He sighed, but hugged her back nevertheless.

Serenity hugged me, on the verge of tears. I laughed lightly, "don't be sad, it's not like we're never coming back."

"But I can't even imagine how it'll be like without seeing you and Nam Chul every day," she mumbled.

"You'll have Keli there to fill in all the silence," I joked, as we both knew how talkative Keli was.

Serenity finally laughed, and stepped back to look at me, "make sure to Skype us every day, okay? We'll always make time for each other, right?"

"Of course," I reasurred her. As she went to talk to Nam Chul, Keli squeezed my hand tightly.

"Have fun!! Don't run off with guys too often, okay? Remember poor Nam Chul," she joked.

"Yah! Stop!" I exclaimed, trying to hold back my laughter.

She pulled me into a hug, "joking, I love you~"

"Love you too~go find a guy in Austria," I couldn't help but add.

She shot me a glare I pretended to ignore.

"It's almost time," Serenity said, glancing at her watch, "wanna take one last photo together?"

I pulled out my phone in response, and the four of us gathered together. Keli's arm was around Serenity, who had her hand on mine. Nam Chul stepped in between Serenity and I, slinging his arms around the both of us casually.

Click!

"See you all soon!"

And with that, the we split off into our groups of twos, and walked towards our terminals.

"Are you excited?" Nam Chul asked with a smile.

"Of course! How could I not be?" I replied happily.

The two of us walked onto the airplane, and looked for our seats. Once settled in, I pulled out my phone and a book.

"You're reading on a plane?" Nam Chul asked, wrinkling his nose.

"Yeah, do you have a problem with that?" I asked jokingly, "I love books."

"Well," Nam Chul replied, pulling out his computer, "I love computer games."

"You go ahead and do whatever," I rolled my eyes, opening my book.

"But really, Chae Won," Nam Chul began, after a brief moment of silence.

I looked up at him expectantly.

"We haven't been back ever since we were 2 months old....do you think we would still be able to recognize anything?"

"Probably not. I don't really remember my two months there at all," I frowned.

Nam Chul and I were not siblings, contrary to what everyone who didn't know us well always assumed. Our parents were close friends who worked in the same company, and our mothers just happened to get pregnant at the same time. As a result, Nam Chul and I were only born 4 days apart, at the same place in South Korea.

After we reached 2 months, our parents both agreed to move to Canada, as they wanted to extend their company even further overseas. And we had stayed there ever since. But as us two were still born in South Korea, we both still had korean names, and knew how to speak korean. Reading and writing, however...

"I can't believe that we're still going to school there," I mumbled, "I don't think I can write even the most basic sentence."

"But I'm sure the teachers will know english, so you can ask all the questions you want," Nam Chul replied cheerfully. He didn't seem to be the least bit worried, though I knew for a fact that he was no better than me at reading and writing.

Boiji anneun neol chajeuryeogo aesseulta deulliji anneun neol deureuryeo aesseulta.
Boiji andeonge boigo deulliji andeongedeullyeo neo nareul tteonan dwiro naegen eotteon himi saenggyeosseo.

"Hello?" I picked up, only to have the phone suddenly taken away. Nam Chul calmly pressed the hang up button, and handed it back to me.

"What was that for?" I demanded.

"No cellphones on airplane~" Nam Chul half-sang, smirking at me.

I glared at him, "that's only after the plane's taken off."

He shrugged, "just as a pre-caution, alright?"

I sighed, "why do I have to always be stuck with you all the time?"

"You're just jealous that you're not as fabulous as me."

"Am not."

"Are too."

"Let's just part ways after we get off this plane, yes~?" I jokingly asked.

Nam Chul laughed, "in your dreams, Hwa Chae Won."

By now, the airplane was starting to fill up. I sighed, and dug into my backpack for the pack of crackers I knew my mom had packed for me.

"You're hungry?" Nam Chul asked, sounding surprised.

"Not really. I wanted to throw these out. They're just going to end up crushed at the bottom of my bag," I replied, taking the crackers out.

Nam Chul snatched them out of my hand, "not a chance. You're keeping them."

"Why?" I pouted.

"In case I get hungry," he replied lightly. But the reality was, both of us knew the real answer.

"You didn't come with me on this trip to be like my mother," I complained.

"Chae Won...." Nam Chul muttered, slowly putting the crackers back in my bag.

I bit my lip, knowing that I was being unfair to Nam Chul. I smiled apolgetically, and gave him a half-hug, "sorry."

"I'm just worried, alright?" Nam Chul whispered into my ear,. I pulled away, nodding slightly. Leaning against the window, I sighed.

"Mom, dad! Guess what?" I shouted, running into the house.

My parents looked up from their computers, surprised.

"What is it, darling?" my mom asked.

"Our school is having a field trip!" I exclaimed.

"Oh, they went ahead with it? That meeting took place quite a while ago," my dad frowned.

"I'm so excited! Thanks so much for making this trip possible~" I squealed.

To my surprise, both of my parents frowned.

"Where do you plan to go?" my dad asked.

"To South Korea, of course," I replied, surprised at their reactions.

"Are you going with anyone?" my dad asked, "perhaps we should go with you as well."

"Dad, this is a school trip. I'm going with Nam Chul, of course," I replied, now confused. Why weren't they more excited?

"Darling, we don't know if this is a good idea for you to go," my mom began.

"Why? We're going to go to school there, so my education won't be lacking. I worked really hard this whole semester, and I have never been to South Korea before. Both Nam Chul and I are really excited for this trip....why aren't you excited at all?" I asked.

My parents exchanged a glance, and that was when I knew what this was all about.

"We just don't know if you should go, especially after what just happened..." my dad began slowly.

"I-I'll take care of myself now, alright? Nam Chul will also be there with me. I-I really want to go, mom, dad. Please..." I mumbled.

My mom sighed, "alright, Chae Won. But you have to promise us that you won't go back to where you were before, okay? I know that Nam Chul will take care of you well, so our only request for you this trip is to stay with Nam Chul as much as possible, alright?"

I slowly nodded, fighting back tears. It had already been a month. Were they ever going to get over it?

~~~

I'm excited because I already somewhat planned out this whole story (which is something I rarely do this early in the story cuz I'm a procrastinator) and I think you guys will love it <3

Thanks to all those who are reading this story :)