Fourth Sight

Ten Word Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Well, look who I ran into" crowed Coincidence.

"Oh please" flirted Fate,

"This was meant to be".

 

            It was a warm day in July when her father drove her to her first day in middle school, he looks really proud, but she saw something else. She saw the anxiety in him, that he wouldn't be able to afford college funds for all of his children. Especially after Nathaniel, the oldest had gone to medical school. "Are you excited?" he asked, taking a glance at her reflection in the frontview mirror. Not even close "Of course" she replied, looking down at her new backpack. Looking out the window she saw a long, light green fence, then there were houses, small, filthy houses. Interesting. Moving along the rows of large buildings, the car suddenly stopped. 

            "Do you want me to walk you inside?" her father offered, turning around to see her face. I'd like that "No thanks, dad. I got this" she smiled, convincing her father that she's going to be alright. 

            So, this is it. Well, at least it's not as bad as I had expected. She looked around, hoping to find someone she recognizes. She recognized almost everyone, but there was none of them she was interested in talking to. So she just stood there, with her tacky curled hair, she was sure nobody would recognize her. "Trinity!". Well, she was wrong.

▲▲▲

            Oh crap. "Oh my God, Renee! I'm so excited to see you again!" "Me too, it's been... Two years, yeah?" I nodded "I missed you!" the girl named Renee, my old friend, wrapped her arms around me. Bull. "I missed you too Rae" I awkwardly pushed her off. "You don't seem too excited, is there something wrong?" she said, batting her perfect long lashes, looking concerned, or at least trying to. I don't need your pity "No, I just... What kind of person gets excited for school?" I replied, lifting my shoulder as if she's an idiot, which she actually is. "Aw sweetie, I'm excited, Clara over there is excited, Emma is excited, Lori is excited and I-" "Yes, okay, I get your point..." I'm weird for not being excited. "You'll find a silver-lining dear" she winked, and turned around, I assumed she was about to finally leave me alone. 

            But I do always find silver-lining in everything, maybe we're just not done here. "Trinity, meet Sheila" she introduced this... family pack sized woman, or girl... I'm not so sure, to me. "Hello!" this Sheila girl greeted me, overly joyous, I'd say. "Trinity" I said, putting a hand to my chest, as if she was an idiot. Well she looked like one of those stupid popular girls, so yeah I guess that justifies assuming that she's an idiot. "I'm Sheila" she said, followed by a grin, the biggest grin since that cat in Alice in Wonderland.

            I lifted my eyebrows, gesturing "I already know". "We're classmates!" she said again, I looked at Rae. "Thank you" I mouthed to her, Rae replied with a thumbs up. "So where is this class of ours?" I asked as we walked away "It's the last one, over there" Sheila pointed at this small room in the corner, it was dark, dirty, and just looking at it makes me depressed. "That looks like a meth lab" I muttered "What? Are we gonna be drug dealers now?" I continued muttering. Sheila kept laughing and laughing, apparently my awful humor amuses her. 

            "This place is ridiculous, are we in africa or some ? Seriously nine billion pays more than this crap" "Oh my God, you're hilarious" "Thank you Sheila, I appreciate that" she laughed again. "Can we sit together?" she asked as we enter the room of depression "What did you expect? I'm gonna walk up to some stranger and sit next to them?" I said "Wow you're really really grumpy aren't you?" she looks at me head to toe "No... Okay yes. I hate being here. By the way, I like sitting near the window" "That one is empty!" Sheila took my hand, dragging me to a seat near the window "I also like corners" I added, Sheila immediately stopped to look around "That?" she pointed the seat in the corner, which was currently occupied by this boy, the boy who in the end taught me a lesson about regret.

            "Sheila there's someone sitting there" "Exactly. Just... Take this one okay? It's near the window too, what's the difference?" "No, no... On second thought, I don't like the window anymore..." I like him "I like that seat" I said, pointing to a pair of empty seat next to the boy and his friend. "That one is in the middle..." "I know, I just... I like the aura of that..." boy "...seat" "You're weird..." "Shut up Sheila".

            And there we sat, two pre-pubescent little girls, each enjoying their own view. I know this sounds disgusting, I couldn't agree more but as honest as it gets, that's how it was. 

            "Who'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter