Three Mushortiers

The Three Mushortiers

It purely started as a joke, courtesy of Park Chanyeol. He had this planned through the winter break and didn’t expect it to be a backlash, even for a bit. Together with Kyungsoo he bought a children’s book story, one with dazzling color as its illustration and unnecessary fairy mascot at the corner for their irritatingly annoying best friend, Byun Baekhyun.

The duo expected Baekhyun to go full berserk at the sight of his early birthday gift. Shouting and pouting at how they were treating him, the oldest of the group; as though he was a kiddo. But, none of those moment happened, instead they were now sitting in an empty class room with paper name tags on their chest and an amused Jongdae watching Baekhyun go full noble in the front of the class.

“Officially from now on we’re the three musketeers, you es! All for one, one for all! Y’all dumbest motherer!” or... trying to be a noble, but of course failed since the birthday boy didn’t have any idea, not even the slightest bit, of what noble is. Kyungsoo did think that the sooner Baekhyun knocked himself out on the nearest chair, would be better. He hated to lay his hand on a filthy idiot like him.

Baekhyun walked in a rough modern army style, totally forgetting that his musketeer role was coming from old France, which had more elegant nobility than the present day. He stopped at Jongdae’s side, then patted the latter’s head in a somewhat silly manner, as though Jongdae was one of his children but he was not really sure whether he wanted to raise this child or to kill him right then. And starting from that day, Baekhyun changed his name to Porthos, Jongdae to Aramis, Kyungsoo to Athos, and Chanyeol to D’artagnan, which turned Kyungsoo into a big ball of sulk, because, “why the hell couldn’t I be D’artagnan? I’m the youngest of you all dummies after all!”

Jongdae rolled his eyes too hard he thought he had sprained his eye-balls.

 

 

 

One of the things that terrified Chanyeol the most besides monsters under his bed and his PMS sister was when Kyungsoo sulked. The guy was already an intimidating Satan kiddo when he was on his best day, now you could imagine how scary he would be when he was angry. If Kyungsoo punched his arm jokingly on a good day, now Chanyeol must resist the burning sting on his stomach after receiving a punch from the smaller man, just because, “Your idea always , I shouldn’t have believed you. I hate you!”

Chanyeol curled oh so pitifully on his bedroom floor and just whined for a couple minutes, before managing to spout a retort.

“But you said it was genius when we paid the book!”

Yes it was a brilliant idea, but that was before they realized that Baekhyun’s brain worked differently than any other mankind. Realistically, a healthy young man would be mad if someone were gave them a copy of an illustrated book of the three musketeers, but this Byun guy grew his yet biggest smirk instead. Kyungsoo pinched the bridge of his nose. Never had he felt so irritated these days.

Still ringing in his ears were Baekhyun’s words, the annoying tenor voice of a puppy boy when he announced rather proudly of how their little group of friends would be called as the three mushortiers.

“And since this elf giraffe mutant is taller than any of us, he should be D’artagnan!” Baekhyun resonated in his head and he could feel another wave of headache coming.

“It’s your entire fault.” Kyungsoo said again, then kicked Chanyeol who was still curled up on the floor.

Honestly Chanyeol couldn’t understand the hate Kyungsoo had for them being musketeers (or rather mushortiers) when it didn’t afflict any real harm. Even Jongdae had embraced the idea of being Aramis, despite the fact the Cheshire-looking man never had any solid reason to deny Baekhyun.

“Soo, why are you so angry by the way?”

“Is there any real reason to not be mad about your friends’ idiotic acts?” Not really a good reason but it was kind of hard to remember or to think when you were stuck in a bad migraine. But honestly, Kyungsoo didn’t even know the real reason for it. And being the good friend he was, Chanyeol recognized the puzzled look on kyungsoo’s face and stayed quiet for his life.

 

 

 

So, since it wasn’t France and there was no king to be protected in Seoul, the three mushortiers didn’t really have a duty like real musketeers. Instead they chose to protect their D’artagnan. And protecting a clumsy giant, proved to be harder than protecting any kind of kings.

“D’artagnan! Stop, stop! You’re going to hurt yourself!”

“D’artagnan! That milk is expired you fool!”

“D’artagnan! Watch your front!”

“Yeol! Watch your step! It’s the 40th time you’ve tripped after a pebble! A pebble! For god’s sake!” And a slap landed perfectly at the back of Chanyeol’s head, courtesy of tiny little Kyungsoo. The park was quiet save for two giggling boys and a groaning giant, but Kyungsoo had this strange urge to tell the whole world just to shut the up. Kyungsoo did scream though, and it never really felt refreshing.

 

 

 

“Password?”

“It’s not fun, Baek, why do I have to tell you a password to enter my own bedroom?”

“Pass. Word.”

Kyungsoo wished his parent wouldn’t judge him for gnawing Baekhyun’s eyes out after he did open the door. Inhaling deeply, Kyungsoo gritted his teeth then muttered, “One for all, all for one,” under his breath. His bedroom door swung open and he saw a widely smiling Baekhyun right behind the door and a sleepy Jongdae tangled in his bed sheet. There wasn’t any sign of a big creepy smile and curly hair anywhere in his room.

“Where’s Chanyeol?” He asked while making himself comfortable on the carpeted floor of his bedroom. Baekhyun, who was sitting on his study desk right before him, raised one of his eyebrows..

“You mean D’artagnan? Oh, our Athos is missed him?” Baekhyun wiggled his brows just to add to kyungsoo’s annoyance.

“You three didn’t have something planned behind my back, right?” Kyungsoo asked suspiciously. He could hear Jongdae’s soft chuckles and sleepy murmurs behind him.

“No no no, we don’t, don’t worry ajumma.” Kyungsoo smacked his frail looking ribs.

“Well actually we’re coming here to arrange a plan!”

“For D’artagnan!”

“What plan?” Kyungsoo hated it when his voice betrayed him. He was supposed to sound like he didn’t care, though!

So, the story began; it started with a heart-wrenching first love of creeper Park Chanyeol and a beauty of the century known as Ms. Park Dara. Kyungsoo knew that Chanyeol had developed such a deep crush on the new English teacher for a while now, and Kyungsoo knew very well that Chanyeol wouldn’t be progressing anywhere with his shy nature. And apparently, the three mushorties wanted to play cupid for the helpless boy

“So, we will set these two up.” Jongdae said, opening their questionable meeting. “I had a very legit info that Dara sunsaengnim also liked our tall friend.”

“You guys sure aren’t mistaken three musketeers with minions, right?”

But as always they skipped Kyungsoo’s words.

“Oh I have heard some gossip from other class, that Dara saem had asked a few of their friends about Student Park from class B”

“And as we know, we only have 2 Parks. Park Soojin and our beloved Park Chanyeol. And as we know, Park Soojin is an unattractive nerd boy, unlike our handsome Chanyeol, so it’s safe to say that the Park haksaeng whom Dara saem had been talking about is our Park.”

“O Porthos, should we set a blind date for them?” Jongdae mocked in a high pitched tenor.

“That’s too obvious! How about…”

And so, as they talked and planned (they as in Jongdae and Baekhyun), Kyungsoo was left to play with his fingernails until he eventually fell asleep. When he woke up, though, the duo were already snoring, bodies in a tight hug, on his bed.

 

 

 

A week later, Jongdae had convinced Mr. Kwon that Chanyeol would be the best person to send some documents to Dara saem’s house. Although Chanyeol was perplexed by the request, the obedient boy diligently kicked the pedals to Dara saem’s house, the mushortiers by his side.

“Why me?” Chanyeol had asked multiple times, but his friends just shrugged their shoulders nonchalantly. “I mean why would Mr. Kwon entrust a grade ‘A’ documents to a well-known clumsy giant?”

Oh he actually knows that he’s a walking disaster, good for him, Kyungsoo thought.

“Guys, can’t you bring this to Ms. Park’s house instead?” Chanyeol said when they finally reached the apartment complex where Ms. Dara lived. Kyungsoo could see long legs trembling embarrassingly as though they couldn’t support the long torso and curly head of their owner any longer. From the corner of his eyes, Kyungsoo could see Jongdae slapping his forehead a little too loud, the nasty red strips he left seeming a bit painful.

“Ah c’mon D’artagnan, don’t be a ! It’s your only chance to have a proper talk with Dara saem!” Baekhyun groaned and pushed Chanyeol’s back harshly, ignoring his plea of ‘not coming there alone, I MIGHT DIE OUT OF NERVOUSNESS!

At his last resort, Chanyeol turned to Kyungsoo and give the smaller boy a sad puppy look. Kyungsoo didn’t want to admit it but he did always have a soft spot for his friend’s puppy looks.

“Soo, please come with me.”

And so here he was; standing before a wooden door with a trembling and blushing giant profusely wiping cold sweat off his head on his side.’

“How long am I supposed to stand like a fool in front of someone’s door like this, Chanyeol ah?” Kyungsoo wasn’t the most patient human being. In fact, Kyungsoo was the epitome of impatience. It was actually a miracle for him to be able to cope with Chanyeol this long.

 Chanyeol looked like he was ready to cry and piss his pant out of nervousness, the stack of documents in his hand shaking Kyungsoo clicked his tongue then proceeded to knock the door by himself.

“Ah... Soo...” Chanyeol whined, and Kyungsoo somehow felt a little happier when he saw Chanyeol’s crying face. He wondered if this was the exact feeling bullies felt as they tormented their target.

A soft voice saying, “yes?” floated, muffled by the brick walls and wooden door. Hurried small steps were heard padding inside the apartment and Kyungsoo could picture their English teacher cheerily jogging to the door. Not that long after, the door opened with a soft click and it was really fascinating to see variations of colour passing across Chanyeol’s face; deepest shade of red, blue, and then turning white.

Dara saem’s lips stretched into a pretty smile, much like a blooming flower, when her eyes landed on Chanyeol. The said boy froze as though he had just witnessed a ghost smiling at him while bungee jumping.

 “Oh! Chanyeol haksaeng! Kyungsoo haksaeng! What brings you two here?” Oh, how smooth and cute was her voice. Kyungsoo could hear Chanyeol’s heart slowly melting in his ribcage.

 

Chanyeol had always have pretty big eyes but today, Kyungsoo witnessed those eyes becoming even bigger and rounder. It was almost endearing to see his giant of a friend losing his self-esteem over a half-sized person.

 “Ah... so... This... uh... Kwon sun–sunsaengnim... Uh...” Cold sweat started dripping down Chanyeol’s neck; Dara saem’s dazzling gaze seemed to have blinded him.

“Yes?” So cute, too cute, even Kyungsoo’s head started to spin in awe. How could a person be this pretty and cute and everything good and fluffy just like a fairy?

“So... I... so... uh...”

“Yeees?”

“I–” Kyungsoo really wanted to slap Chanyeol back to his senses but instead he slapped his own face rather hard.

Kyungsoo didn’t get even get paid yet he still had to hear this century’s most annoying stutter. In the speed of light, Kyungsoo cut Chanyeol’s speech off and straightly told Ms. Park their business. Kyungsoo wanted to end this silly match-making business fast so that he could go home to his beloved bed.

“Mr. Kwon sent us to deliver these documents here.”

“Ah! I see, okay!” She beamed and strangely, Kyungsoo had an urge to cover his eyes.

“Come in,” she continued, “I’ll make you a nice tea, or do you want another drink?”

“You useless thing.” Kyungsoo hissed behind his gritted teeth, glaring at the miserable giant.

 

 

 

Being together with Dara Saem for longer than 5 minutes was Chanyeol’s biggest dream, but sitting in her living room, having the chance to sip her freshly self-brewed tea was really on another level. Chanyeol could be as good as dead and on his way to heaven already judging by the way he was acting today. He could barely can tell how the milk tea tasted, the hot tea almost burning his tongue. Never in his short live had Chanyeol feel happier than this very moment.

On the other hand, Kyungsoo wondered if their teacher hated them. Who served their guests a cup of hot tea in the middle of an August heat unless they hated the guest to death?

“I hope you didn’t get into any trouble on your way here?”

“Not really, saem. It’s a quite well known area after all.”

“I see... It’s really nice having cute guests in my lonely house, you know. Thanks for coming!”

“Ah, no no no saem, we’re happy to be here too!” Too enthusiastic, too creepy. Chanyeol looked like a big dog, invisible tail wagging behind him.

“By the way, you guys are in the same class with Park Soojin haksaeng right?”

YOU DID NOT JUST! Kyungsoo wanted to scream, but it wasn’t nice to shout at your teacher even when they broke your poor friend’s tiny heart.

And also...

Look at all the trouble stupid Jongdae and idiot Baekhyun had caused over a misunderstanding.

Next morning would be the bloodiest morning those two are going to experience.

Kyungsoo gave Chanyeol a worried glance and the boy seemed like he had just been kicked on the stomach. Out of his reflex, he answered a weak, “Ah... yes...” that Dara saem took as a good sign. The beautiful smile bloomed again, but this time around, strangely, it distorted into a witch smile in Kyungsoo’s eyes.

“Good then, you guys can pass his test score for me? He left it here yesterday.” Dara saem asked cheerily, not really catching the faltering smile and widened eyes of the clumsy giant boy.

“H–here?” Chanyeol’s voice is shook from the shock.

“Eum! He frequently drops by here, you guys can do that too if you feel like it.” Such heavy words coming out of that cute lips. Chanyeol’s heart felt as though it had been cut deep, blood dripping for Kyungsoo’s eyes to see.  That beaming eye smile that previously made her look as if there was a halo shining above her head now just seemed like a thousand neon light and it was hurting Chanyeol’s eyes. Suddenly, he felt the urge to cry. Kyungsoo squeezed his hand under the table to stop him from spilling ugly tears, seeing that now his red eyes were already b with unshed tears. This was one of the rare moments in which Kyungsoo actually felt an ounce of sorry for Chanyeol.

Kyungsoo switched his gaze from the white of the wall to Chanyeol’s face, his lips jutting out and his eyebrows furrowing into an ugly frown. At some point, Chanyeol began to return his gaze and for a minute they exchanged gazes.

Do you want to leave? Kyungsoo communicated through that stare, and the poor boy nodded his head slightly.

 

 

 

“Don’t cry.” Kyungsoo said softly, as they strolled outside the building. 30 minutes had passed after their epic escape from Dara saem’s living room and Chanyeol didn’t feel like to going home. Kyungsoo decided to take him around as soon as he inflicted physical pain onto the two idiots for gathering a false information, that leading to a poor hurting soul.

Chanyeol had been silent, not even letting any sniffles out, since they left Dara saem’s house. But as Kyungsoo turned to look at the giant next to him, a wave of shock hit him hard. It was so strange seeing a usually happy person crying silently like that. Kyungsoo sighed, then lifted his hand to ruffle the giant’s hair.

“Why do you never do the things you were told to?”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t be sad, you’re handsome. There’s a lot of our friends who take a liking on you.” Chanyeol nodded, but ironically, tears were still falling from his eyes. Kyungsoo found it cute how he painted a picture of a child losing his favourite toy car.

“You still have me.”

At that, Chanyeol stopped crying, lifting his palm to dry his cheeks and promptly throwing a big smile that looked incredibly cute; with his red nose and wet eyes.

“That’s right, I still have you.”

“Tomorrow, I’m going to kill Jongdae and Baekhyun. Don’t even try to stop me.”

“I probably will help you.”

 

 

 

 

did you enjoy the story? thanks for reading! and have a nice day :)

i added minor edit