Chappie 5- Childhood (End)

My Pet; My Friend.

It was a peaceful night when the neighbors were already sounding asleep in their beds. But for _____ and Mrs. Kim, both of them had just finished reading their bedtime story which _____ always loves, there are always pretty princess and their happy endings.

“Ok, it’s time to go to bed, my little princess.” Mrs. Kim said while closing the story book.

“Okie mommy, good night.” ____ said and kissed her mother goodnight.

“Good night too, baby, have a nice sweet dream.” 

“Wof!”

"Oh yea, good night too, Jay." Mrs. Kim waved and closed the door.

“Nighty night, Jay.” ____ said and patted Jay’s head.

------Few hours later--------

The night was so peaceful and silent, but no one knows the event that is going to change _____’s life is happening soon, which was the coming back of his father.

The house door closed, only the footsteps were heard. He was drunk and subconscious, his steps were unstable.

______ had been in peaceful days with her family which were her only father and mother, they lived together happily with their moderately wealthy life. Each day after Mr. Kim came back from work, ____ and Mrs. Kim will welcomed him home happily, and they would sometimes spend their time together having picnics in their nearby neighborhood park.

But things go down the drain, Mr. Kim lost his job at the crucial moment when financial problem was the biggest dilemma that people would never choose to face. Things were very hard for him, and with that, it left him fall and could not stand again.

After that, he changed, as if his soul has left his body and was replaced by the other. He often left home and came back only when he needed money, he was in his drunken state whenever he came home.

 --- Meanwhile at ________’s room ----

“YOU FOOL!!! IT IS BECAUSE OF YOU!! WE ARE SO DAMN POOR NOW!!” “YOU RUINED OUR LIFE!!! IT’S BECAUSE OF YOU WE ARE SO DAMNN POOR NOW!!”

The shouting noise in the living room was sharp and fierce. 

“Get out!!”  “You never care for me!! You were always with your daughter. How about me? Am I even your husband?!!!” Mr. Kim shouted. Unconsciously, he pushed his wife, causing her to fall backwards toward a chair.

“Ah! What is this?” Dizziness seem to take over Mrs. Kim when she fell, there was something wet and warm on her forehead, she touched it, only to know that it is her blood.

“Mommy?” ____ asked while walking out her room. With the reason that she just woke up, she was not really observant.

“No! ____! Don’t come here!!” Mrs. Kim shouted while covering her head, trying to prevents the blood from drowning out.

“Get out!!! NOWWWW!!!” Mr. Kim shouted again, lucky for ____, his father seems not to sense about her at that moment.   

Mrs. Kim’s face was stained with tears, her hair was messy. She was in a terrible state, with that, she can no longer hold her emotion in place.

She ran out of the house, only to have _____ chasing after her, but at the very next minute a car was heading towards her.

“AHHHHHH!!!!” _____ shouted when she saw the car coming to her.

Realizing that her daughter was going to hit by the car, she turns back to push her daughter towards the side walk.

Then, the car hit Mrs. Kim, knocking her spine. The blow was hard; it sent her flying few meters away from the original position. Force has done too much to her, in the next minute; she was already lying on the floor, having a hard time just to catch her breath.

“MOMMYYYYYYYY!!!!!” ______ shouted and she ran towards her mother. Jay ran along with her.

“Mommy, please don’t leave me!!”

“Don’t worry, mommy will always be with you.” Trying her best, Mrs. Kim picked up her daughter’s hand, slowly with her tiny strength, she placed her hand to her daughter’s chest.

She looked up to her daughter, only to find that little ______ had a confused face when looking at her, trying to figure out what her mother was talking about.

“Mommy, will always be with you, always in your heart.” Mrs. Kim said, smiling.

With that, understanding suddenly flashed in her daughter’s eyes. With that, little _____ started to cry, her tears flow out, wetting her pajamas’ sleeves as she tried to wipe away the tears.  

Mrs. Kim heart aches, her sorrow was as thick as book , yet they were as fragile as glass. Afraid that she can no longer keep them behind her eyes, she tried again.

Slowly, Mrs. Kim moved her hands to touch her daughter’s cheek, “_____, you need to be a good girl, not to cry, only then mommy will be with you. Promise?”

“Y…yes, mom….mommy.”  _____ tries replying between sobs and she forces a smile to her lips.

“That’s my _____.”

Then, Mrs. Kim looks at Jay and speak to him in her weak voice.

“Please take care of her and live well.” Her voice were weak, but when Jay turned his head to catch Mrs. Kim’s eyes, he jerked, her eyes was not the eyes of the weak woman that was pushed and pull towards the chair by his husband but the eyes of a strong woman commanding Jay and wanted him to promise her, both as Mrs. Kim and ___'s mother. The determinations were so strong that her eyes shines, clearly mirrored the need and pleading. 

After telling her will, satisfied, Mrs. Kim closes her eyes and whispers. 

“Now mommy is going to have a long sweet dream.”

With one last breath, she whispers, “ Saranghae, _____.”

Surprised, _____ forces out a breath before sobbing into her sleeve again, trying hard not to cry out loud.

*Don’t worry, Mrs. Kim. I will keep my promise, sleep well.* Jay thought and silently stays by ____’s side.

That night, the rain falls, they mixed with the tears and blood. As if they were tears from heaven, sighing the farewell of Mrs. Kim to her daughter. They try to hide the scar by washing away the melancholy tears, but unsuccessfully, they were craved deep and hard into their _____’s heart.

----

In the past 3 months, their life was miserable. ______’s father did not drink anymore, unlike the days before.  He stays at home every day, unable to forgive himself of what he did to his wife. But at the same time, he did not go to work, there was not enough money for their living.

After 2 months, he died of illness due to his stubbornness to not take care of himself. His body went weak. He was discovered by _____ in the next day when _____ bought him breakfast that was prepared by the neighbor.