Three

It Was You

A ray of light shone on a sleeping woman's face. She shuffled and her side to avoid the light but soon the whole room was lit up by the sun. 

Wendy's eyes fluttered open and she let out a small breath. It was Friday, and that means it would be a busy day. Usually Mondays and Fridays were her busiest days. She peeked over at her cabinet and looked at her clock.

6:35AM

She sat up and stretched as she kicked the sheets away from her. She had about an hour to get herself and the cafe ready. She probably didn't have to worry about that since her friend Tiffany would most likely be there earlier. 

Wendy stood up and checked her phone for an messages. There were two messages, one from Joy, in which she notified Wendy of her exam, and another from an unknown number. 

This is Irene. Thanks for the coffee. Same time, tonight? x

Wendy smiled and saved her number. She had forgotten that they gave each other their numbers last night. She almost squealed at how Irene finished her texts with an x. Shaking her head, she quickly replied and went to get ready for the day.

------

When Wendy parked her car, she saw a single body in the cafe. It was pretty early for the other employees to be here, so she didn't really mind. 

Wendy grabbed her bag and locked her car doors before walking into the shop and smiling at Tiffany.

"Good morning, Tiffany unnie." The older girl smiled back and handed Wendy a cup of coffee.

"Morning, Wendy." Wendy took the cup of coffee gratefully and cautiously took a sip of it.

Tiffany was a good friend of Wendy's. They've been friends since high school, with Tiffany being two years her senior. When Wendy opened up the shop, Tiffany immediately volunteered to help her with the work and even got some of her own friends to help. Long story short, without Tiffany's help, Wendy's cafe wouldn't have been this successful. 

Wendy went to the break room and put her bag on the counter and left her cup on the table. She went to change into her work uniform let her mind wander. 

Joy has an exam, so the girl will be about an hour late and one of her employees called in sick yesterday to tell her that she's going to be in the hospital for a week. All of her other employees should be on time today.

After she finished putting on her uniform, she finished the last of her coffee and brought it out to clean it. She saw Tiffany continuously look at her phone as she wiped the tables clean.

"Waiting for something, unnie?" Wendy grinned when she saw Tiffany jump a little.

"Oh my God, Wendy don't scare me like that." Tiffany put a hand to her chest and breathed in.

"Sorry, but you still didn't answer my question."

"Maybe." The older woman replied shortly with a small smile.

Wendy decided to not pry any further and grabbed a wash cloth and helped Tiffany clean the tables. When she passed by the stereo, she started it up and put the stereo on shuffle. Silence didn't really fit the cafe that well. 

Wendy was a hard worker to the core. She spent a lot of her childhood learning how to play instruments and singing and then around high school, she became extremely studious. She was her grade's valedictorian and her parents watched her give her speech with much joy. Her friends congratulated her and they all went out together with their families to eat.

She never really dated either. She was outgoing and kind. She was a one of a kind beauty and was courted a couple of times but she didn't find any interest in dating. She did give one guy a try but he ended up being really narcissistic and she ended up storming out of the restaurant while the guy was drenched in water. She would never regret that. 

"Hey Wendy, I'll be right back. Someone is suppose to be returning something to me." Wendy quickly nodded and watched as Tiffany ran outside and stopped in front of a blonde.

That blonde looked really familiar but she wasn't sure of where she saw the woman. She discreetly watched the interaction and saw Tiffany give the blonde a hug and kiss her on the cheeks. Tiffany's girlfriend, perhaps?

Wendy looked a little closer and saw a mark that wasn't there before. One on the back of Tiffany's left shoulder.

"So Tiffany found her soul mate? Lucky her." Wendy laughed to herself and finished cleaning the last of the tables. 

When Tiffany came back in, Wendy was going to ask but she decided not to, as the girl was in quite a happy mood and she works better in a good mood. 

------

Just before Wendy was going to open the shop, she felt her phone vibrate and pulled it out. It was another message from Irene.

Okay, then I'll see you later. By the way, do you guys deliver anything? x

Wendy flipped the closed sign to open and replied back.

Yep. Wanna order something?~

She looked back and all of her employees were doing their final check ups on the equipment and straightening their uniforms. They were all diligent workers and Wendy couldn't have been more glad to have them around.

Her phone vibrated once more and she looked down at her phone.

If you're not too busy. The office is packed right now, so can you send a Mocha frappe and a Flat White? x

Wendy went over to the counter and quickly replied before looking at one of her employees.

"Can you make Mocha frappe and a Flat White? Someone wants it delivered." The employee nodded and got to work on the drinks.

We're making it right now. Can I have the address and floor number/room number?~

Wendy doesn't even have time to lock her phone before she gets a message with the address and she nods to herself. 

"Tiffany, I'm gonna go deliver this, so can you watch over the cafe?" Tiffany beamed and nodded.

"You can count on me, captain!" The older girl saluted playfully and Wendy laughed before helping with the drinks.

-----

Walking to the building wouldn't have taken that long but she was holding drinks and if they were going to be as fresh as can be, then she needed to get their quickly. The drinks were in a secure box. It also looked fancy as to make it look more pleasing to the eyes. 

She found somewhere to park and quickly walked into the building and stopped at the front desk.

"Yes, how may I help you?" The receptionist smiled and asked.

"Delivery for Seulgi-ssi and Irene-ssi." The receptionist nodded and pushed some buttons on the phone nearby and spoke into it.

"Go on and head right up. It's the top most level. The secretary there will let you in." Wendy gave her thanks and went to the elevator. 

There were a lot of levels and now that she thought of it, the building was quite big as well. She stepped aside so the small crowd of workers could get out and she stepped in and stood next to the elevator operator.

"What level, miss?" He politely asked.

"Top most, please." 

The man nodded and pushed he button. It was slightly awkward but somewhere in the ride, the man spoke up.

"So, you're here to see the President?" 

"Yes. She and Irene-ssi wanted something delivered to them." Wendy held up the drinks.

"Ah. Today is a busy day so it would most likely be easier." Wendy nodded in agreement.

She came to deliver the drinks but usually if someone asked for delivery, she would make someone else do it. It was only because Irene asked and she felt a bit selfish but she should be allowed a moment of selfishness in her life.

When the door slid open, Wendy stepped out and thanked the man. 

"I can wait if you want?" 

"I might have small talk, so you don't have to." 

"Of course. Just call for the elevator when you need to." He bowed before the doors closed and Wendy walked up to the secretary.

It was a very luxurious looking office building. The windows allowed view of the city and since it was a tall building, Wendy could see for miles. 

Wendy's footsteps echoed in the hallway as she walked by a couple of offices in on the floor. There were glass panels as walls up until the double doors at the end of the wall. It wasn't silent; there were people in the offices, but their voices were mostly muffled.

Wendy wet her lips and walked up to the desk near the double doors.

"Delivery for Seulgi-ssi and Irene-ssi." The secretary looked up and smiled before pushing a button and speaking into a phone.

"You can go straight in."

Wendy nodded and opened the doors with one hands as she held onto the drinks. She hoped that they were still fresh enough.

When she stepped into the room, she was immediately met with the sight of Seulgi smiling as she played with a young child and Irene watching with a soft expression. She wasn't smiling, but she wasn't frowning either. It was solemn and bright; you could see the happiness that resonated from her. Irene had a debonair feeling to her.

When Wendy stepped in, Irene immediately looked over to her. She gave the younger woman a small smile and walked over to Wendy.

"Good morning, Wendy" Irene smiled and took the drinks, beckoning the woman to step in a bit more before closing the door behind her.

"Good morning." Wendy smiled back before feeling someone tug at her legs and she looked down.

The little girl that Seulgi was playing with stood next to her with her small hand gripping onto Wendy's pants. She had brown eyes that stared at her and Wendy smiled before crouching down.

"Hi there." Wendy smiled brightly at the child.

"Hello." The girl spoke in a soft voice and did a small bow that made Wendy's heart melt.

"What's your name?" Wendy asked the girl. She saw her look over to Irene for approval.

She was definitely taught well, and it looked like the person who taught her was Irene. Which would make this girl Irene's daughter.

So Irene is probably married-- but she doesn't wear a ring.

Not wanting to assume anything yet, Wendy waited for the girl to reply.

"My name is Kim Yerim, but Seulgi unnie calls me Yeri. You can call me Yeri too!" The small child grinned toothily and Wendy nearly died once more.

"Hi Yeri, I'm Wendy. Nice to meet you." Wendy smiled back and held her hand out.

Yeri shook her hand and grinned before going over to Irene.

Wendy stood up again and brushed her pants off.

"Thanks for bringing the drinks." Seulgi grinned and handed Wendy the money.

"It's no problem." Wendy took the money with a little bow and slipped it into her pocket.

"Do you want to stay for a while? I can give you tips on how to hook up with Irene." Seulgi whispered the last part to Wendy and the latter blushed.

"Uh, I have to get back to work, maybe next time though. Thanks for the offer." Wendy ignored Seulgi's arched eyebrow and turned around, but not before waving to Irene and Yeri.

She bid them goodbye and closed the door behind her.

----

"Hello~?" Wendy snapped out of her reverie and looked at Joy.

"What?" Wendy stood up straight as Joy gave her a weird look.

"You've been distracted for like, the whole day. What's up?" Joy asked as she pushed the keys on the cash register.

Wendy felt her cheeks heat up and turned away from Joy. 

"I'm just thinking about some stuff. Nothing really important." Wendy's voice wavered near the end. She looked around the cafe and nodded at the emptying shop. 

Joy didn't respond, so Wendy shrugged and went to help clean up the cafe. She grabbed a broom and started sweeping the floor, avoiding the rushing employees as they cleaned the tables to get home early. 

It was getting cooler-- the temperatures rose and hit their peak near afternoon and then dropped, but not by much. The air conditioning in the cafe would offer some relief but the amount of people in the cafe didn't help with the temperatures.

At least the day had ended. The cafe looked nearly deserted-- minus the emplyees rushing to get home. Soon it would just be Wendy.

Wendy and Irene.

The two ladies got along well. It wasn't strange to find them sitting in silence as they sipped on their drinks. Their conversations were on and off but it wasn't awkward for them at all. Wendy enjoyed Irene's presence and she was sure that it was the same for Irene. It's only been a couple of days but Wendy feels a sense of comfort in the older woman. She couldn't place a name or label on it but, she felt it. 

"I'm heading home! See you tomorrow, Wendy!" Joy called out and Wendy barely had a chance to wave goodbye to her before she left.

Wendy enjoyed her time alone, but when she stood in the middle of the empty cafe, it left her with an empty feeling. There were no distractions to keep her from feeling homesick. Nothing to keep her mind off of the memories that tugged at her heart.

It was overwhelming sometimes.

A couple of times, Wendy would cry silently in the cafe. It wasn't anything serious-- she only cried to just let out the pent up emotions. Her mother always said that it was unhealthy to keep everything up inside.

Tonight was no different from those nights. She blinked and felt tears trail down her cheeks and she breathed in a shaky breath. Wendy had even forgotten that Irene was coming.

She didn't even notice that Irene had entered the cafe until a hand touched her shoulder. 

"Hey.." Irene's soft voice brought Wendy out of her reverie.

Wendy quickly wiped the tears from her cheek and took a deep breath.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you come in," Wendy shakily commented.

"It's okay." 

Wendy believes her and makes out a smile, not as bright as her normal ones but it was enough for her.


AN: AAAAAAAAH IM SO SORRYYYYYY. I went on hiatus out of nowhere and tbh I'm still on it :P but I hope this chapter satisfied you guys! I'm in my first year of high school and I'm trying to maintain my GPA bc I have to admit I'm proud of it. Thank you for reading this and please continue to support me and my works!