Hallucinations

SENSATE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was going to be late to my dance lessons once again. I wore my snug black leotard under my clothes for efficiency. However, I was sure that it would be soaked by the time I made it to the studio. There is a biking speed limit in my city to help promote safety, but I couldn't afford to do the punishment exercises coach would implement if I were late again. I gritted my teeth as I stood up off the seat and peddled faster. I prayed that I wouldn't receive a fine from enforcement as I weaved in and out of other cyclists.

The sudden increase in speed not only helped make it to the studio faster it helped clear my mind. The vision I've been having of a boy is beginning to make me think this is it for me. Surely my mental health was deteriorating and I was beginning to hallucinate. Ever since a few days ago I've been seeing a strange boy in unfitting situations.

The first time I saw him, I was stuck in a bike traffic jam. He was standing in the middle of the bike lane wearing what looked like a school uniform, but the colors and design didn't match any of the ones fom my city. He wore a confused and terrified expression as he frantically looked around. I was almost going to go over and ask him if he needed help, but when I looked around to see if someone closer to him had noticed, no one looked concerned. I tried to find him again in the crowd but he was suddently gone. 

Although, I was momentarily concerned with his sudden disappearance I later became concerned with the fact that no one else seemed to notice him. It wasn't like my community to ignore someone in need of help.

 

I had brushed that time off as sleep depervation. That was until I saw him once again in my school's caferteria. He was standing by the entrance with the same confused expression as a few days prior. His tall frame was cluching the door frame to the main entrance as the rest of the students scrambled around him. I took a moment to take in some of his strong features. They were definently unique. His light brown hair contrasted with what seemed like dark eyes and pale skin.

 

I sat eating and chatting with my friends as I tried to shake the feeling of someone staring at me. I closed my eyes tightly to see if he would vanish like last time. However, when I opened my eyes he was trying to make his way through the crowd of energetic students. I turned to ask my friend Claire if she knew who he was, because he clearly wasn't a hallucination. He couldn't be a hallucination.

 

"Hey Claire, do you know that new transfer student over there?"

She stopped mid-argument with another classmate to answer me. "What transfer student?"

I began to get a bit more nervous. Anyone would notice who I was talking about because everyone knew everyone here. I couldn't give up, maybe she was so caught up in her playful debate that she hadn't noticed him. I tried again.

"The one by the door." I nodded my head towards the direction of the main entrance without breaking eye contact with her. I was too afraid to look.

 

"Umm...there isn't anyone by the door. Maybe they left."

 

I began to sweat as I made myself look toward the entrance. He was still fighting to get around the crowd of bustling students. He was only a few feet from me when I heard him call my name.

 

"Oh my god, hopefully, its a new cute guy," Claire continued as I blocked her out. She was talking to the back of my head as I stayed staring at the stranger who had just called my name. Claire would have definitely noticed him. The people he was bumping into would have noticed him. Yet I was the only one who had.

 

He was closer now when he suddently disapeared. It was as if he vanished inbetween my blinks..ultimatly he had. One second he was there trying to make his way towards me and the next nothing. I turned back in my seat with wide eyes.

 

"Hey, are you ok?" Emory asked with a concerned look.

"Yeah, I think I just need some sleep" I tried to shake my distraught expression. 

"You know I don't like when you over do it. Is the upcoming recital stressing you out?" He asked as he placed his hand on top of my head, rustling my hair. 

I hated when he did that, but since he was my boyfriend I let him get away with it. I fixed my bangs as I replied.

"No. I'm pretty ready..I just need some sleep." I threw in a more genuine smile to deter any further interrogation. 

"Okay..make sure you get some tonight."

I nodded 'yes' as I laid my head on his shoulder and he continued to my head. 

 

I stayed like that as my friends continued to converse and I tried to convince myself that all I really need was a nap.

 

I pulled up to the studio with a loud skid which earned me a disapproving head shake from my favorite security guard. I tried to bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter