Chapter 1 - The beginning

The Walking VIXX

"Yes, congratulations! Receiving the trophy this week is VIXX! Please accept this trophy and give us your speech!" Kangin said.

 

"Firstly… My Starlight. Starlight, I’m really proud of you and… There were times where we were unrecognized and times when we were unacknowledged, but I’m so proud of our Starlights who made us win first place. I’m so happy that we share the moment together right now. Thank you. And CEO Hwang Sejun, CEO Kim Byungsun and staff members and also the mothers and fathers of us VIXX and Jinseok Hyung, Nana School and the staff who coordinate VIXX, all our managers, I sincerely thank you. Thank you!"

 

All VIXX members bowed. Hakyeon was trying hard not to cry, Jaehwan was throwing heart at the screaming fans and Error played in the background. VIXX thanked all the other bands on stage and sang the Encore, thanking fans again and again.

They finally got out of the stage and headed toward their changing rooms, they thanked everyone again, they were kind of lost in this whirlwind of people succeeding, congratulating them and proposing to meet again someday. They successfully managed to get out of their stage clothes and put on something more confortable.

They got into the van. Everyone was in his habitual seat: Hakyeon at the front, Taekwoon in the middle, near the window and Jaehwan next to him. Wonshik, Hongbin and Sanghyuk were at the very back, almost collapsing because of tiredness.

The radio at the front was on, spilling an incessant flow of news. Hakyeon checked everyone was asleep or listening to music.

"Can I turn the volume up?" He asked the manager, Go Shinwoo, who was driving.

The man next to him nodded.

Hakyeon increased the volume. A bit too much though: Jaehwan who was sleeping jumped a little and looked threateningly at him. Hakyeon made a face… supposed to mean 'sorry', he guessed.

Jaehwan went back to sleep and Hakyeon focused on the news.

"… epidemic. A plane from USA crashed in Korea, authorities are currently looking for possible survivors.."

Hakyeon didn't hear afterward, he fell asleep too.

 

The next day, Sanghyuk woke up only to see their manager waiting for him in the living room of their dorm.

He had to go to college though, it was early in the morning, at this time he was usually the only one awake. He raised an eyebrow to Shinwoo.

"What's happening? Is there a bus strike or something?" He asked.

"Err well, no. Actually, there's no need to worry but CEO called me in the middle of the night. You heard about this epidemic in the US? Seems like something like that happened during the night and he told me to not get out the dorm. I think maybe you should stay here today."

Sanghyuk was still half asleep and, logically, his brain figured out only half the info. He only remembered the fact that he may have the opportunity to sleep more than only 3 hours today.

He turned his heels and went back to sleep.

 

Hours later, Wonshik woke up, completely panicked: nobody woke him up today, no Sanghyuk, no manager. He had two choices: either he was still dreaming, or the world would end up soon.

He looked around him, the sun had risen a long time ago, he could tell because of the light filtering through the curtains. He was alone in his room since he had been sentenced to exile because of his snoring. He grabbed the nearest clothing, hoping it would be a shirt to cover his bare torso before leaving the room. No. Not at all. Except if he wanted to go out Tarzan style, wearing some kind of furry scarf around his hips.

He groaned, squirming out of his blankets and finally stood up in front of his closed, watching it hostilely. He grabbed a jogging, it wasn't even his but why had Hongbin left his clothes here in the first place? 

Wonshik searched a little more under piles of clothes to find a comfy sweater, the weather was starting to get cold and he couldn't afford to be sick with all the promotions and stuff.

He walked out the room, he wasn't the only one awake but he was the only one not knowing what happened because god, it was 11 am and all the members were home, even Sanghyuk who was supposed to be at school.

 

As soon as Wonshik stepped into the room, they heard the manager yelling from the kitchen. He had a full-mouth of a sandwich he just made so none of them figured out what he said. He swallowed and said again:

"Guys, come here. Had Sanghyuk told you what happened?"

Everyone turned his eyes to Sanghyuk who froze. As if staying still would help.

"I kind of.. umm.. forgot. Because.. um.. you know.. I was still asleep, like my brain was not working and.. umm.. Well, I don't know!"

His bandmates and manager looked astonished by what they just heard. How can he forget so easily something that important?

"Well, nevermind" Shinwoo said "I'll tell you what I told him because I don't know much about what happened: CEO called me in the night to told me that we should stay home today. I know you have schedules and all, but there's this epidemic and it's better for you to stay at home."

"But isn't this like a flu or something?" Taekwoon answered "I thought everything was okay, since USA were on quarantine." 

"I don't know what's happening, CEO doesn't answer his phone anymore."

"Can we call our families then?"

Hongbin's voice was shaking, and his eyes were starting to get teary. 

"Yeah, sure. But I tried to contact my girlfriend as soon as I woke up and she didn't call back."

VIXX members were glad enough they didn't have girlfriends, they didn't have time and it would have been one more thing to worry about.

 

They gathered into the living room.

It was a pretty empty space, nothing really worth seeing. The only thing they all liked was the sight. Their apartment was high in the building and they had a beautiful sight of Seoul. But, there was something strange today. It seemed like there were much more cars in the streets than usual. Of course, Seoul was a big city, there were tons and tons of cars riding its roads everyday but not in that direction. A lot of people were leaving the town. 

The boys looked at each other, even more worried now.

They sat in a circle on the floor and Hakyeon, who still had the privileges of being the leader, was the first one to call.

It didn't even ring, he was directly on voice mail.

"Mom, dad, it's me Hakyeon. I'm okay don't worry, call me back when you have my message. See you."

He handed the phone to Jaehwan next to him. Voice mail too.

The phone passed through all the boys hands and came back quickly in Hakyeon's pocket.

Hongbin stood up. He was really worried, if not the most but he tried to smile.

"At least, we have one day of rest." He said.

The statement was soon followed by a happy wave of approval. They all jumped on their feet and started their day as if everything was normal.

Wonshik and Jaehwan assaulted the fridge. Taekwoon went back to his room, plugging his earphones in. He wanted to take a nap, since an occasion like this would not occur anytime soon. Hakyeon went to the bathroom while Hongbin and Sanghyuk were arguing about which one of them would take the best spot on the sofa. Actually, Hongbin won. He threatened Hyuk to show everyone a compromising picture of him. Hongbin was the hidden king of their home: he had a compromising picture on everyone.

 

The day went like this. The sun was starting to go down and they were at the same time starting to worry again. The phone didn't ring at all.

Ultimately, Shinwoo stepped out of his room in a fighting outfit. He had a long coat which covered him to his calves, a pair of gloves, sunglasses and a mask. He was unrecognizable.

When the members saw him like that, a laugh crossed the dorm.

"I won't take any risks" Shinwoo said as a justification. "I'm going at my girlfriend's house, see if she's okay. Her family is abroad and she may need help. Plus I might learn some things about what's happening. We seriously need a TV in here."

And he left.

They only saw his girlfriend once, from afar. They only knew she was a foreigner, a French girl working in a Korean university to teach French and make a little money. They met because of Shinwoo's little brother. The boy was a disruptive student and Shinwoo picked him at school once and so on. They didn't know about the detail. Not even her name.

 

They waited about an hour, Shinwoo wasn't back. He gave them no instructions so they just waited. They talked a little but soon, everyone was lost in his own thinking.

Suddenly, the apartment was plunged into darkness.

"What's now" Taekwoon sighed.

Wonshik got up and walked hesitantly hoping to find the breaker. It was not the first time this happened in the dorm but it was the first time they were all scared to death because of it.

He managed to reach the breaker, only lit by the dim light of the phone and pushed the joystick to restore electricity. Nothing happened.

"Seems like we have a problem here" He tried to joke.

He only heard the sound of their breath as an answer.

They decided to turn off the phone, even though Shinwoo was still missing because they would need it in the morning. By a silent agreement they decided to sleep altogether in the living room, they brought their mattress in, getting used to the darkness and they went to sleep.

It was approximately 11pm now, cars were still leaving the town.

 

Soon enough, Hakyeon heard the sound of Wonshik's snoring and for the first time in his life, he found that sound comforting. He stayed like this a long while, waiting for everyone to be asleep. He  still had his eyes wide open when he heard the sound of something knocking really hard and screaming at their door.