0 1

Game of Hearts

Winter is Coming.

More like, school is coming. -Kim Jongin

------

 

 

If there was one thing Jongin hated other than being apart from his beloved phone, it would be school.

 

School only meant that screen time with his friends on Tumblr would be less, and there would be more teachers nagging, more homework, more studying, and probably more annoying people to deal with. Correction: Please add a 'new' in front of every subject, because he was starting high school, anew. 

 

At the thought of all these, his stomach did an involuntary double flip.

 

So he sat there unmoving and bored on the floor of the school hall, half thinking about the death of Joffrey Lannister Baratheon and half thinking about having no one to complain and grouch about the happenings in the TV series. 

 

In Jongin's previous school, he at least had two other people to share his thoughts with. Now he probably had no one because being a Game of Thrones fan is extremely rare.

 

Yeah Kim Jongin is one rare unicorn.

 

By the time the principle had finished her long speech, his fingers were already itching to whip out his phone and he immediately shot up from the ground when his class was given the signal to stand up. His mood had lifted for a fraction of a second, until he spotted owl boy a few places behind him.

 

Squinting his eyes, Jongin made sure he wasn't seeing double. Much to his disappointment, owl boy was indeed there. Okay maybe not disappointment to that state, but Jongin just hoped that owl boy would be better than the emotional condition he had met him in.

 

"Hey can you move?" the boy standing behind him asked in a gruff voice. Jongin turned behind and narrowed his eyes slightly at the tall bespectacled male before lightly strutting off.

 

A few minutes into the walk to the classroom, Jongin could not help but just feel uncomfortable with the tall boy behind him. He hadn't observed his features properly yet, but a giant with a—Jongin turned around stealthily to cast a quick look at him—head of nearly overgrown black hair who wore nerd spectacles was a weird enough combination to make him feel... Well, weirded out.

 

Plus, the boy kept clearing his throat with that deep rumble and Jongin kept expecting him to say something suddenly, but the words never came.

 

During the time later when his homeroom teacher was doing the interesting job of creating new ships and enemies aka assigning tables, Jongin had to admit that his heart was racing irrationally.

 

For as long as Jongin had known, he had this fear of new people and meeting people. Heck, he could be the poster boy of the internet, staring at blogs 24/7 and eating snacks all the while, plus hating the outside world and basically anything that came with that package. It was quite depressing, come to think of it.

 

So he stood at the corner of the room, watching his now classmates getting called out one by one to a particular seat with his heart in his mouth. His teacher, a stout male in his late fifties with a kind smile ticked off the name list with a jovial tone as he pointed the seat out to the said person's name.

 

Jongin's name was about way down the alphabets, so he decided to stop fretting and check on his blog to calm himself down.

 

The familiar feeling of his phone in his palm comforted him a little as he unlocked the device. Quickly flipping to his blog page, Jongin's fingers went on auto pilot, scrolling down and reading the comments.

 

leejunmin commented:

ㅎㅎ I know right! Can't wait to see where Sansa ends up after this!

 

iluvapinkand2ne1 reblogged your post

coffee-plus-tea liked your post

coffee-plus-tea reblogged your post

 

the-northremembers commented:

I've never felt so happy for the death of a character.

valarmoghulis-yolo commented:

A death for a death ya son of a . Your family killed off half of the Starks ㅋㅋㅋ

 

parkgh reblogged your post

parkgh liked your post

mylittlekitten liked your post

gukahnjae liked your post

 

sugafree commented:

Oppa can you post a selca? I'm sure you're very handsome~ :)

 

Jongin stopped scrolling and winced when he saw the last comment. Leave it to some people to ruin his more relaxed mood. He was itching to reply a harsh 'no' to the girl but the kind side of him refrained his fingers from doing so.

 

"Kim Jongin!" the voice of the teacher suddenly boomed with a slight impatience.

 

He jumped back in shock, his back colliding against the wall with a soft thud. Stuttering in confusion, he asked, "Y-Yes?" All eyes turned towards him at the sound of his voice, together with the now disapproving gaze of the male teacher.

 

"I've called you twice. Now, please go to your seat Jongin. Third row, next to the window," the teacher replied as he cleared his throat, his eyes lingering on the device in Jongin's hands. 

 

Slightly embarrassed, Jongin slid the phone into his pocket and walked forward towards the tables and chairs. As if things were not bad enough, he tripped over a wire from the teacher's table in his flustered state. A series of low snickers rolled off from his classmates including the ones who were already seated as he grabbed onto the wooden ledge of the table with a sharp gasp in an attempt to regain his balance.

 

Jongin felt his cheeks burning while quickly making his way to his allocated seat afterwards. In the corner of his eyes, he saw owl boy cracking a crooked grin at him from his seat.

 

Remind him why he hated people in general again.

 

The class' tables were arranged in a two by two manner, so when Jongin reached his space, another boy had already taken up residence at the seat directly beside the windows. Sighing inwardly, Jongin dragged out the grey plastic chair from the table and placed his bag on the tiled floor beside the legs before sitting. It would have been great if he had the window seat, but publicly complaining would do him nothing good as well.

 

Right until he had sat down, the many pairs of eyes were still staring at him. Then the teacher continued rattling off the list as if nothing had happened.

 

Thing toned down after a few minutes and Jongin busied himself by taking out his books and stationary. And he absolutely did not like the way he could still feel people's stares boring holes into his back.

 

After taking out his last textbook, he immediately turned his head around with a hard stare and found two girls giggling in his direction. They hastily stopped when they caught his glares and turned away with ghosts of a smile on their faces.

 

The next culprit was none other than owl boy, and Hodor. Okay, not Hodor. It was that weird boy standing behind him earlier on.

 

The giant diverted his blank gaze upon meeting Jongin's angry ones but owl boy continued staring back at him. The two of them were desk mates, sitting diagonally across him on the other end of the classroom. 

 

Owl boy gave him an evil eye as if he had still not forgiven Jongin for bumping into him in the morning. Deciding not to entertain owl boy's strangely directed anger, Jongin turned back around and planted his face on the cold surface of the table, wrapping his arms in a cross around his head.

 

The teacher droned on and on as he sighed deeply into the table, trying to block out all the noise.

 

May the odds be ever in your favour, Kim Jongin, he thought to himself wearily.

 

 

------

 

 

During the whole span of the first class to Math class before break, Jongin had introduced himself five times. To him, it was not practical and a waste of time. Totally. Come on, it was the teachers' fault if they didn't know their names. 

 

Repeating almost the same thing for five times was not fun.

 

From all the introductions given, Jongin now knew that the quiet boy sitting beside him was called Baekhyun and he hated Maths.

 

Hodor was called Chanyeol, and he liked reading.

 

Owl boy was called Kyungsoo and he disliked people who were tardy. And people who bumped into him, Jongin added mentally earlier during their first introduction. Owl boy wasn't looking at him, but Jongin was pretty sure his pet peeves were directed at him.

 

During Math class much later, Jongin caught owl boy staring at him for the umpteenth time that day with an unimpressed look. Jongin bit his tongue in unexplainable fury as he turned back to his textbook and continued listening to their teacher who was going through the topics they would have to cover in the coming year.

 

Okay, Do Kyungsoo, you're totally Joffrey No. 2, he cursed in his mind while taking down notes, the ink from his pen darker and his handwriting more messy than usual. Annoying little . Just pray that I won't sit beside you later. The North never forgets.

 

Only if he knew that the Old Gods and the New did not answer his prayers.

 

 

 

 


A/N: This is the shortest chapter I've ever written. Jus sayin. Next one will be longer!