The Farming Fool

The Farming Fool

Chapter 1

 

 

    Ok Taecyeon took the straw hat off, closing his eyes and raising his head up letting the passing breeze cool his sweat soaked face. Opening his eyes he gazed at the mountains in front of him. He had grown from a child to a man in this place and never took the natural beauty for granted.

He had been ten years old when his parents had passed and he had been taken in by his uncle Lee Seojin. Living on his Uncles farm had never been a problem for Ok Taecyeon. He had always been a quiet  child that did as he was told. The farm had become the epitome of a home for Taecyeon. His uncle had always been a blunt no nonsense type of man and it was exactly what Taecyeon had needed growing up.

"Taecyeon!!" he heard faintly from the distance.

Taecyeon turned squinting as he saw his aunt Choi Joo Woo standing on the porch of the farm house. He waved at her as she went back inside. He noted the sun had begin to set meaning it was dinner time. He began gathering the tools and whistled.

"Lets go Mingki-ya" he said in a girly voice as the dog suddenly sprung up from the hole she had dug in the middle of the corn field.

His Uncle had married his high school sweetheart Choi Ji Woo not long after Taecyeon had come to live with him. She had immediately become the mother figure in his life and was without a doubt a weak spot for Taecyeon.  His Aunt and Uncle had never had a child and perhaps it was fate but Taecyeon had filled that void in their lives.  

Taking one last look at the half cultivated field as he turned and begain walking toward the house. His uncle had told him to make sure to start preparing the field for planting before he returned in a few days. After all they would be planting the corn for the year in the next few days.

"Noona, I am back" he said as he entered the door. Maybe it was because of the fifteen year age difference between Taecyeon and his aunt and uncle or perhaps it was the bubbly personality of his Aunt who had from day one demanded he call her noona. And so he from the beginning called his aunt and uncle, noona and hyung rather than properly address them as Aunt and Uncle.

"Go wash up the foods on the table" he heard is aunt say from the kitchen.

"Ye" he said as he headed toward the washroom.

"How much of the field is left?" his aunt said as she finished putting a bowl of rice in front of him.

"A few more days. When is hyung coming back?" he asked as he began eating.

"Tomorrow... looks like the contract was signed." she said as she sat down across from him.

"Its delicious, Noona." he said smiling

"Of course it is..." she said smirking back at him.

Taecyeon had always wondered  how is Uncle had gotten Aunt Jiwoo to marry him.

His uncle was a blunt man who was way too straightforward for his own good. Seojin Hyung had no tact when it came to social situations. On the other hand his Aunt, in his eyes, was an eccentric and refined lady on the inside but a bubbly and cheerful personality on the outside. They were opposties in every sense.

"Are you excited?" she asked.

"For?"

"Last summer before college?"

He had just graduated high school a week ago and he was set to enter college in the fall. He winced unconciously as he thought about the fight he had with Seojin Hyung when he revealed his intentions of enrolling at the local college in the next town over as opposed to Seoul University.

"Do you think I should have gone to Seoul University?" he asked his aunt.

"Oh...Just drop it will you? Your uncle is a a old school . Do what you want kiddo." she said smiling.

"Your right how could I miss out on this sour kimchi" he said scrunching his face as he .

"Omo is it!?" she said her face showing genuine concern.

"Your so naive, Noona" Taecyeon said laughing.

It had never been a tough decision for Taecyeon. He had no interest in the city life. He had wanted to stay as close to the farm as possible and the choice had been a no brainer. However, his Uncle had made the choice tougher but in the end his Aunt had used her magic and his Uncle had grudingly accepted it.

"I still dont understand why you would marry Seojin Hyung?" he again.

"Why do you always ask me that? You know you should ask him why he asked me to marry him."

"Can you imagine if I asked him something like that Noona?"

"Hmm... your right. 'Because I wanted a wife'." she said folding her arms and imitating her husbands gruff tone.

They both burst out in laughter.