Ch. 2

are you a dementor (because you take my breath away)

"He- he's such an  ." Taehyung bemoans. The kitchen sink is dripping and he gets up to turn it off, to no avail. He makes a mental note to fix it up for his parents head out to work tomorrow morning. Magic is much easier for handyman jobs than his father's arthritic fingers these days, and it's better to just pretend things were never broken in the first place than deal with his father's wounded pride.

"Jeongguk?  He's always been a prickly one. It's not you. Probably."  Yoongi chuckles like he can see the face Taehyung is making, his deep laugh crackling from the speaker. Technology around magic had improved a lot over the past decade, but it wasn't perfect. Still, Taehyung doesn't think he could survive on waiting for post to talk to his friends.

"Does he even know basic manners?"

"When he needs them, like most Slytherins. And that's not what you were saying last spring, when he did that impressive feint and spin around Mark to get the Snitch."

Taehyung blushes. "That was before I talked to him! I'm allowed to think he's skilled Seeker, even if I'd love to take a Beater bat to his personality."

"Did you hear that he's been getting scouted this year? He's only sixteen, but so many people think he has potential." Yoongi mentions.

"Must be nice. To be so great you don't have to worry about your future or care about peasants on the street." Taehyung laughs, but something about Yoongi's thoughtful hum cuts him short.

"Don't take it personally— Jeongguk's not good with strangers, that's all. He's a decent kid under that stiff face, even if he cares a bit more about Quidditch than his Transfiguration grades or graduating— oh wait, that sounds a bit like someone else I know."

"Not all of us aim to be straight O students like you, Yoongi." Taehyung pouts at Yoongi's laugh. "And I made my Herbology credits in the end."

"I guess you're alright." Yoongi admits, all faux-grudgingness. "How's Busan treating you these days?" With that, the conversation flows easily towards discussing Seungchan's romance endeavors and Yoongi's brother moving into his own place, and the antics of the neighborhood pets. The afternoon sunlight glints off the wind chime over the kitchen sink, and outside, he can hear kids yelling gleefully. Summer's in Busan are the best, Taehyung thinks, and he wishes it didn't have to end so soon.

"I got to go soon. Hyung needs me to help him move boxes." Yoongi says, as Taehyung finishes his story about how Buster nearly managed to topple all the neighborhood trash bags while chasing an errant alley cat.

"Sure, talk to you later?" Taehyung frowns when there's just white noise in response. "Yoongi?"

"Taehyung, you're more than alright, you know? You're an amazing kid. You'll figure things out before you know it." Yoongi's voice is hesitant but comes out clear despite the static, and Taehyung knows his face must be red.

"Thanks," Taehyung replies, with all the sincerity he can muster. "It means a lot." 

It really does— Taehyung only wishes he could believe it.

---

Author's Note: Clearly, these chapters are quite short. I'm having trouble writing more than short bursts lately, but I'd rather give you guys a bit at a time than nothing while I get my act together. The next part should be longer, and I have part of it written already, so hopefully the plot picks up soon!