CH ?: Date

Where We Stand: Special Chapters

 WM2Q3d9.jpg?2
 


LHEW’S POV



In a quiet room, my alarm goes off along with the buzz of my air conditioner. Removing the pink sheets of my bed, I reach for my cellphone and yawn. Mom and Dad will be getting ready to work but they don’t wake up as early as me. Smiling at the display of plush toys in front of my bed, I revel in the idea of being a Senior that has one of the rare treats.

“This is my first free weekend.” Talking to myself, I lean against my headboard, stretching as the sunlight enters my room then scratching my long messy brown hair.

Scrunching up my face, I’m not quite sure what to do. I haven’t seen the boys in ages. Ever since
Naughty and I….. I mean, Ngaw and I broke up, I’ve been shoving my nose into books and facilitating some of the dance practices our Drama Club has had. Anything to take my mind off things. Granted, Petey and Earney have been on the rocks but that’s because they want to study more. Well, I’ll call them and give it a shot to see if they have free time to hang out. Maybe they'll like the idea of getting together. Petey should be awake.


♫ ♫ ♫   No matter where you go   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   You know you're not alone   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   I'm only one call away   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   I'll be there to save the day   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   Superman got nothing on me   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   I'm only one call away   ♫ ♫ ♫

MUST PLAY AND READ LYRICS


“Hello?” A scratchy yet lispy voice answers the phone.

“Huh?
Earney?” Looking to the number real quick, I did call his boyfriend.

“Yeah….” Answering, he clears his throat.

“Where’s
Petey? Are you guys out?” At least they’re together so we’d be able to all hang.

“No. I’m at his house. It’s a long story but,
Penguin is sick so…..” Taking a second to cough, he tries to explain. “I’m kind of taking care of him.”

“Aw. Well, I was going to ask you guys if you wanted to chill but do you want me to help you look after him?” Concerned, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Pete sick before.

“It’s fine.” He replies. “It’s my fault he has a cold. I’ll handle it.”

“You sure?” Inquiring, my worry doesn’t leave me. “You don’t sound so good yourself.”

“Yeah, I’m sure.” Earn makes an effort to sound better. “Besides, P’Kwan is here as well. She’s kind of looking after both of us. I don’t want to get you sick either.”

“Okay…..” I reluctantly agree. “Well, if you need someone to help you out, I’m free.”

“Thanks, Lhew.” In a weak tone, he replies. I hear a loud cough in the background. “Oh, Pete’s awake. Sorry we can’t meet up. Take care and avoid catching the bug too.” And with that, he hangs up.

Now that I think about it, it did rain a few days ago. Those two might have gotten caught in the storm. Must really s*ck for them. They were already on a break from relationship duties and the one time they get together, they catch a cold. Well, those guys are out of the question. Maybe I’ll try
Porky and Joz but…… knowing those two, I’ll end up as a third wheel. Hell, even going out with Ody, Tem, Kern, Rose, and Nut….. I don’t want to be the extra baggage for them when they rarely have time for each other. Looking at my phone, I read the text messages some of my friends from school sent me. I don't want to go shopping or boy hunting, Grace. Second thought, I'll give Porky a call.


♫ ♫ ♫   Hey you there [x7]   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   I see you over there   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   I want you to come here   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   Sit down   ♫ ♫ ♫

MUST PLAY AND READ LYRICS


"Hello?" A feminine voice answers the phone.

"
Joz?!" Shocked, checking the clock, she's there this early, it only means one thing. "You wh0re."

"Don't judge me." Snapping, she retorts.

"I'll do whatever I want." Answering back, I speak in a crude yet teasing manner. "So, where's your husband at?"

"He's working on cars already." She replies plainly. "Hold on." She switches to video call.

"Aw." In fairness, she's dressed decently but it doesn't change the fact that she slept over that night. "Where are you at?"

"Kitchen. Just got done taking a shower and I'm helping
Babe's mom cook." She switches view to a woman in the background. "Hey, Mom. Say hi to a friend of mine and Por's."

"Hello." In a light voice, she takes her attention away from chopping vegetables to wave at the phone.

"Wow. Feel at home much?" I slightly berate her.

"Shut up." Josie barks. "What are you calling for anyways?" Waving to Por's mother, she signals that she'll be heading to the garage.

"Well, today is a free weekend for me so I was wondering if you two were willing to hang out." Cutting straight to the point, I explain.

"
Awww. That's sweet of you but Babe and I are busy today. He and I haven't had any time to be together either. In fact, he's kind of swamped with repairs this morning until afternoon." She makes it to a greasy area. "Babe! Lhew is on the phone!" Shouting, she grabs the attention of the guy under a vehicle.

"Oh. Okay, hold on
Jozjoz." Answering, a bulky boy with a good amount of oil on his bare torso, appears on the screen. "Hello." Waving his dirty hand, he smiles.

"Jeez. Clean up a bit." Surprised to see him in that state, I can see why Josie fell for him.

"Sorry." Grabbing a cloth, he wipes his hands and grabs the phone. "Thanks,
Joz. So, what's up?"

"Nothing. Wanted to chill with you guys but I heard you're pretty busy." Repeating his girlfriend's explanation, I sigh.

"Yeah, sorry. Did you try Pete and Earn?" Scratching his cheek, smudging it, he asks.

"Yup. Apparently they both have a cold. Must have been the storm a few days ago." I share my assumption.

"Ah, true." Nodding, he agrees. "Welp, sorry we can't help you."

"Did you call, Card?" Josie’s voice is heard in the back.

“Ummm…….” He and I haven’t exactly been that close recently, especially since Ngaw and I broke up.

“That’s actually a bad idea.” Por turns to answer her.

“Why?” Josie and I ask in unison.

“I mean……” Hesitant, his face becomes troubled. “Although, you can try to call him but….. I kind of doubt he’d be in the mood.”

“Now I’m curious.” I wonder if it’s because of me.

“Your choice.” He speaks in a concerned manner. “Anyways, I have to get this car done by 10AM. Sorry, Lhew.”

“It’s fine.” Sighing, my disappointment is apparent. “Bye,
Porky. Bye, Joz.”

“Bye, Lhew.” They say isimultaneously prior to hanging up.

“Hmmm….” Rubbing the screen of my phone, I debate what to do.

What exactly was Por trying to say? He wouldn’t be in the mood….. Is it because I’d be calling him? He and I made the agreement that if I ever broke up with Ngaw again, and he was still single and interested, we’d try give dating a chance but….. it’s been a few weeks already. Although we all have been busy, the news of my break up spread like wildfire within our group so, why haven’t we come in contact with each other? Does he not like me anymore? The thought drifts in my mind and my chest tightens. Maybe…… it is the best time to speak with him. Just to clear things out or know where we stand or if he’s moved on. Moving to the side of my bed, my legs hang off the edge. Fixing my hair and checking my face in my phone’s mirror, I make myself look more presentable. I’m an idiot. I’m calling him, not video chatting him.


♫ ♫ ♫   'Cause I will wait, I will wait for you   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   And I will wait, I will wait for you   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   And I will wait, I will wait for you   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   And I will wait, I will wait for you   ♫ ♫ ♫

MUST PLAY AND READ LYRICS


“Hello?” In a deep and somber tone, a boy answers the phone.

GOODMORNING, ACE!” In a chipper voice, I have no idea why I’m acting so stupid.

“Oh….. morning, Lhew.” Taken aback, he retorts.

“Um…. So…..” Nervous, I’m not quite sure how to approach this.

“Yes?” Picturing in my head, he’s lifting a brow as I speak.

“Well, I’m kind of calling early this morning because…… I’m done with my assignments and projects, so I have a free schedule.” I explain quickly. “Did….. did you want to hang out?”

“……..” The line goes quiet for a while.

“Hello?” Making sure I’m still on, I greet him again.

“Yeah. I’m still here.” He answers promptly. “It’s just that….. I’m actually busy today.”

“O-oh.” Feeling my chest twist, the butterflies in my stomach have fallen and died. “I-I get it. If you don’t want to go out or anything, it makes sense…..”

“No, that’s not the reason.” His serious demeanor breaks as he tries to reassure me. “It’s just that….. today isn’t the best day. It’s…… it’s…..”

“No, I get it.” Exhaling heavily, I shake my head. “It’s been a few weeks since Ngaw and I broke up and I know we had an agreement and all but-” I’m interrupted before I can finish.

“You’re free today….. right?” In a low tone, he asks.

“Y-yes.” Nodding, I stutter.

“And……” Hesitant, he’s not acting his usual self. “You you’re okay to hang out where ever?”

“Mhm.” Yet again, I agree.

“Well….. I have plans but….. if you’re willing to come along….. we can spend time together today.” His sentences are disjointed, almost as if nervous.

“I-I’d love to.” I’m such an idiot. Why do I sound so eager?

“May I make a request though?” He speaks politely.

“Yeah,
Ace?” Smiling, my spirits are lifted.

“Can you please wear white?” Nervous, he makes his proposal.

“Ummm….. sure.” I have no idea why but, maybe if he’s going somewhere important, a dress code might apply.

“Thanks, Lhew.” He replies sincerely.

“No problem.” Still with a stupid grin on my face, I retort.


“Okay….. so….. see you in about two hours?” He sets a time.

“Sounds great.” Overly excited, I agree.

"....." With that, he hangs up and I take a deep breath.

"Phew....." Collapsing on my bed again, I look up to the ceiling. "That wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be."

I have no idea why I'm being so nervous. Come on, Lhew. Get a grip. This is Card here. It's not like we haven't hung out before. Well...... I guess we really haven't gotten together alone in a long time. Ever since the whole summer debacle, despite closing the rift that was made, there's still an air of awkwardness. We did agree that if I ever broke up with Ngaw that I'd give him a chance and we can start dating but...... Is he still interested? We all barely get to see each other and there isn't any clear sign that he still likes me. Ugh, this is so confusing and I can't ask help from anyone about this since everyone is preoccupied. Sh*t, I think I'll just start getting ready. Bouncing up, I fix my hair and start looking through my closet to find what to wear.

 


 

"Bye, Ma, Pa." After taking my time to get ready, I grab a slice of toast and a few pieces of bacon.

"Oi, oi, oi." Flustered, the woman sitting at the table calls to me. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Aw. I'm going out with my friends. It's my weekend." Pulling myself back, I explain.

"We barely got to see you and not even paying respects?" Raising her brow, she taps her foot.

"Ay. Sorry. Morning, Ma, Pa." Holding everything in my hands, I wai them with a breakfast meal.

"Hold on." My father calls out from his newspaper as my mother takes a seat. "And what about your assignments?"

"All done. Finished everything for this week and I can't finish next week's because my groupmates aren't free until Wednesday." I explain quickly.

"Piano practice?" He lifts a brow.

"Worked on it an hour last night and will again later as well." With confidence, I relay my plans.

"Well, all right then." He complies. "We'll see you at dinner time after work."

"Okay." With a grin, I run up to kiss his cheek and hug my mother before heading out.

My house isn't very far from the commuting area so I walk to get a taxi. The heat isn't much of a problem since I'm wearing a sleeveless flowy white dress. I wasn't sure what exactly what we're going to be doing so I ended up with something I'd usually wear in the summer. Arriving at his mansion of a house, I ring the doorbell connected to his gate. A lady I've seen many times answers.

"Ummm..... Hello, P'Tia." With a smile and a wai, I greet her.

"Good morning." In a professional manner, she returns a respectful gesture. "What brings you here today?"

"Aw, uh....." Why wouldn't I come here? "
Ace-I mean, Card and I are meeting up today."

"Really?" Raising a brow, she has a skeptical expression. "Are you sure?"

"Pretty sure." Scratching my head, I don't understand why she'd ask.

"Oh, Master Cardwell." Turning around, the woman bows.

"It's okay, P'Tia. She's correct. I invited her." The icy voice behind the lady clarifies.

"Ohhh......." With a hint of interest, she comments. "Well, if this is true, may you have a pleasant day, Master."

"Thank you, P'." As the woman leaves the entrance, it is replaced by a dashing man with slicked hair. "Morning, Lhew.”

“……” Having a clearer view, the male in front of me is well dressed. Wearing a white button up long sleeves shirt, a tie, and slacks, I’ve only seen him suited up this way on camera when in Singapore doing business with his dad. “M-Morning.”

“Sorry to keep you waiting.” Opening the gate himself, his car is in the driveway. “Today is….. well, today is certainly a day.”

“It’s no problem.” Putting my hands up, I shake them. “I just got here. I hope I'm not under dressed."

“No. You look beautiful as usual.” His usual frigid voice seems off. “Well, shall we go?”

“Yeah.” Blushing and grinning, I grip my small purse behind my back and follow him to his car.

It’s a few hours before lunch so the traffic isn’t so bad. The uneasiness in the air between us still lingers so, we’re quiet for a few minutes. Unable to keep silent however, I start some small talk and the ice begins to break. Although I really want to know where we might head in our relationship, staying friends or living up to our promise, just being able to chat and chill with him is much more important to me.

“Tch. Don’t be absurd.” With scoff, the guy driving, replies.

“I’m serious.” Tilting my head with a glare, I press. “You look handsome.”

“Your words may work on Pete and Por but flattery isn’t much of a thing for me.” Deterring my praise, he retorts.

“I’ve already called
Petey handsome on many occasions but me calling Porky good-looking? Do you want his ego to inflate even more than it is?” Snickering, I propose the idea.

“Remember, he and I are best friends…… I’ve seen how huge his ego can grow.” With a chuckle, he informs.

“Hmmm…. Well, I know it’s probably a surprise or something but….. where are we headed?” Looking outside the window, we could be going anywhere.

“……. You’ll see.” His somewhat cheered demeanor turns melancholic. “I need to stop by here.” Nodding, he points out a small shop with a refreshingly nice aroma.

“Oh?” As he parks, I’m surprised by the sign, not sure what to make of it.

“Stay here. It will only take a few seconds.” Unbuckling his seatbelt, he exits the car and enters the establishment.

This is an odd place to go. He said he needed to stop here, so that means they were expecting him. He also said he has plans so, maybe it's a congratulatory gift? Before my brain can process an answer, he emerges from the building with a large arrangement of flowers. White lilies, red roses, and pink orchids are held in a beautiful bouquet. I have to admit, the sight of him holding it up while in formal attire is attractive as . Shaking my head out of awestruck, he’s already entered the car.


9dkB1EV.jpg
 

“Aw. For me, you shouldn’t have.” In a playful manner, I joke.

“……. Sorry. They’re….. not for you.” With deep regret on his face, he sighs.

“O-oi…. I’m just teasing.” Embarrassed by my cheesy line, I apologize. “But….. who are you giving them to?”

“I’m…..” Staring down, I’ve never seen him so down before. “You’ll see when we get there.” Still not wanting to tell me, he explains vaguely.

“Well, in the meantime…..” I present my hands. “I can hold onto them for you until you give them away.” In a sincere tone, I offer. “They must be really important if you’re not willing to gift them to a lady.” Crap, why did I say ‘lady’? He’s surely going to crack an insult.

“…….” Instead, I’m met with a weak smile and silence as he hands it to me before he starts the car.

The mood of the ride turns somber and quiet. Card really isn’t himself today. Granted, we haven’t seen each other in a while but, he was his same usual self last time we met. Por did mention about it being a bad idea trying to meet with him today. Is there something I’ve missed? A few blocks away we turn into a gated area. I’ve….. I didn’t know this is where we were headed. As he looks for a parking space, I wonder who he’s here to visit.

 


 

“Sorry if I didn’t explain.” While walking down the road with flowers in tow, he apologizes. “I mean….. you sounded so eager when calling and disappointed, I couldn’t find a way to tell you things.”

“No….. I had no idea.” Feeling embarrassed, I respond. “I didn’t know today was…… a special day.”

“It’s not something I talk about.” Looking forward stoically, he answers. “I’ve only brought Por here a couple of times when he’s not busy. I also feel that he thinks it’s a matter I should approach by myself but….. having someone with me is…..
comforting.”

“Well, ummm….. How far is it?” Nervous, I question.

“We’re almost there.” With a weak grin, he replies. A couple minutes and we arrive at a grassy area and monument like stone. “Hey, Mom.”

“……” In silence, I see the formally dressed man, usually composed and serious, lay down the bouquet onto the gravestone.

“Sorry I don’t visit you as often.” Sighing, he places his hands in his pockets while staring down at the carved writing on the memorial. “I mean….. I want to but….. school, friends, Dad….. I’ve been keep things together.”

“…….” Moving beside him, I keep quiet as to not interrupt him.

“Well, I’m a Senior now. My grades are high so I’ll be looking forward to university soon. My best friend couldn’t come with me today. That idiot is trying out for a scholarship while trying to balance out work. Knowing how good he is though…… he’ll get it.” Continuing, a tone and demeanor I’ve never seen from him before shines through. “I did bring someone important to me though.” He turns and nods to me.

“H-hello, P’.” Out of respect, I wai.

“I know last year I said I was going to bring two other guys with me but, sadly, they couldn’t make it.” He hints at Pete and Earn. “Lhew…. If you don’t mind…..” Sitting down on the grassy, not caring about dirtying his slacks, he crosses his legs and stares at the tombstone. “We might be here for a while.”

“I don’t mind at all.” Placing myself next to him, I put my hand on his knees and look to him reassuringly.

“….. Thanks.” His faint smile is sincere.


(*)
♫ ♫ ♫   If I die young, bury me in satin   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   Lay me down on a bed of roses   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   Sink me in a river at dawn   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   Send me away with the words of a love song   ♫ ♫ ♫


♫ ♫ ♫   Uh oh, uh oh   ♫ ♫ ♫


♫ ♫ ♫   Lord make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my mother   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colors, oh,   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   And life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   Ain't even grey, but she buries her baby   ♫ ♫ ♫


(**)
♫ ♫ ♫   The sharp knife of a short life, oh well   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   I've had just enough time   ♫ ♫ ♫


(*, **)


♫ ♫ ♫   And I'll be wearing white, when I come into your kingdom   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   I'm as green as the ring on my little cold finger,   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   I've never known the lovin' of a man   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   But it sure felt nice when he was holdin' my hand,   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   There's a boy here in town, says he'll love me forever,   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   Who would have thought forever could be severed by...   ♫ ♫ ♫


(**)


♫ ♫ ♫   So put on your best, boys, and I'll wear my pearls   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   What I never did is done   ♫ ♫ ♫


♫ ♫ ♫   A penny for my thoughts, oh, no, I'll sell 'em for a dollar   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   They're worth so much more after I'm a goner   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   And maybe then you'll hear the words I’ve been singin'   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   Funny when you're dead how people start listenin'   ♫ ♫ ♫


(*)


♫ ♫ ♫   Uh oh (uh, oh)   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   The ballad of a dove (uh, oh)   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   Go with peace and love   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   Gather up your tears, keep 'em in your pocket   ♫ ♫ ♫

♫ ♫ ♫   Save 'em for a time when you're really gonna need 'em, oh   ♫ ♫ ♫


(**)


♫ ♫ ♫   So put on your best, boys, and I'll wear my pearls.   ♫ ♫ ♫

MUST PLAY AND READ LYRICS


We spend almost an hour at his mom’s grave. Card would talk about how his life has been the past year as if chatting to someone he hadn’t seen in a long time. Though his more formal and refined way of speaking is there, it loosens up when he recalls a happy moment. His composure is a mixture between happiness and grief. He’d become enthusiastic when sharing a fun memory, usually related to Por, Earn, Pete, and me but would turn low and sad, wishing he can actually tell her upfront. Witnessing this side of him, it’s like observing a child explaining to his parent all the exciting activities they’ve done or the bumps they’ve experienced. Noticing the time, he excuses us with a gracious wai and we depart. I never expected to go through something like this with him and I was unaware about his mother.

 


 

“Sorry if I sounded crazy earlier.” After breaking the silence at the restaurant, we decided to eat for lunch, he says.

“Stop apologizing.” Swaying my hands, I don’t want him to feel guilty.

“I don’t know.” He sighs. “I do it every year but….. you must think I’m insane or something talking to the dead.”

“N-no, I mean…..” Flustered, I comfort him. “It’s understandable to.... do that.”

“I guess.” Shrugging, he seems to be lost in thought.

“Well, ummm……” Not sure how to run off from that, I start. “I didn’t know your mom passed away.”

“Hmmm…. Pete and them never told you?” Raising a brow, he inquires.

“Nope and I never asked.” I retort. “I knew you had a step mother but I thought maybe your dad and mom got divorced.”

“……” Silent, he stares off out the window next to our booth. “You know, I can tell my dad was there.”

“Huh?” Puzzled, I’m taken aback by his sudden statement.

“He puts lotuses on her gravestone and there were a couple of petals left from this morning.” Explaining, I did see a few lying around.

“Strange…..” Comparing to what he brought to the gravesite, isn’t his dad being skimpy? “Out of all the flowers to bring, why such a common one?”

“He’s said that it was her favorite.” Exhaling, he states. “She admired them for being everywhere and brightening up the grey city. He always hand picks them early.”

“Aw. Well, did you not go with him because you were waiting for me?” Guilt stricken, I ask anxiously.

“No.” He answers quickly. “He….. he likes to go by himself early in the morning. I think he thinks I don’t know he goes on her death anniversary.”

“Oh. I see.” I feel relieved yet my heart still aches for his apparent hurt. “Would it be tactless of me to know how she passed?”

“It would……” He outright calls me out. “But, you are already curious.”

“……” With my cheeks burning, I nod.

“She…… she died of cancer when I was very young.” He starts, resting his arms on the table. “And I….. I was a stupid six year old thinking that everything was going to be okay.”

“Card…..” The sight of him distressed has me worried.

“I thought that since we were wealthy, throwing money at any problem would solve it however….. that’s not the case for many things.” He recalls with gloom.

“You couldn’t have known any better. You were just a child.” Reinforcing, I reason.

“True yet…. It doesn’t change the idiotic things I said and thought, the closer she was to passing away.” Turning his head to look at me, his usually stern expression has turned into a dreamy and nostalgic one.

“That’s right but, you’ve grown up into a loving and caring person. You’re not that same kid.” Defending his current status, I speak confidently.

“Am I though?” He inquires. “Recently I’ve just been studying and I haven’t seen you and the others in over a month outside of classes.” Doubtful, he lists. “I feel like I’m being just as selfish as I was at that time. Like, I’m not making enough effort for things I deem important to me.”

“What are you talking about?” Upset that he’d think that way, I protest. “Just because we’re all busy and studying, it doesn’t take away that we all are still friends who care and think about each other constantly.”

“L-Lhew.” Surprised by my outburst, he calls me.

“Don’t ever think you’re a bad person. All that you’ve done for everyone….. you did it because you treasure us.” I speak firmly. “You wouldn’t feel guilty or sad at all right now thinking about us if you were so cold hearted.”

“…….” Shocked, it takes him a few seconds for my words to sink in. “Can…. Can I share something with you?”

“Yeah.” Calming down, I nod.

“I….. I don’t remember my mother’s voice.” With great sadness, he reveals.

“……” Listening, I don’t want to break his train of thought.

“When I try really hard to think about her face, it sometimes comes out shrouded until I see a picture of her and it all reforms but her voice…… it’s something I’ve forgotten.” I can tell his heart is sinking as he tells me this. “Does this make me a bad son?”

“Of course it doesn’t.” Feeling his pain, I place my hand on his to console him. “You’re a great person. You do amazing in school, go on business trips with your father, you help and care about your friends…..” Rubbing my thumb on his palm, I emphasize. “If your mom was alive to see you, I’m sure she would be proud of what you’ve done and how you treat people.”

“…….” With his face turned away, he still has a hurt expression but he comes around to look at me. “You really think so?”

“Hey, I wouldn’t be wasting such nice words on you if I didn’t mean it.” Trying to make light of the situation, I tease.

“…… Thanks.” He gives me a bright and genuine smile that makes me blush and my heart race.

 


 

“Well, that was a day.” Entering my room, I turn on the lights, throw my purse on my desk, and fall on to my bed.

Card and I had spent most of the evening together. After eating, his mood lightened up and he ended up reverting back to his usual snarky and dry self. I’d always try my best to break his cold exterior and I somehow make it work. I don’t know but, being around him, it’s like I can be myself to the fullest because his usual sound and grounded nature can keep me tethered. I’m just happy being me and I can catch a glimpse of him smirking when I’m laughing. Despite the melancholic morning, it turned out into a surprisingly warm and relaxed afternoon. Placing my hand on my chest, I can feel my heart racing as I remember his face change throughout the day. Some expressions are ingrained in my mind and my cheeks burn thinking about it. This still begs the question though, is he still interested in me? How does this make us any different from how we were before? As my mind wanders, I receive a text message.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ace
Are you free next Saturday?

6:22pm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me
Depends
Why? :3

6:22pm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ace
Was wondering if I can ask you out on a date.

6:22pm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------